Josh Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Josh Hamilton

Even with the Gomes and Victorino signings and the presence of Ellsbury, Kalish, Nava etc. - I still feel like the Sox are strong candidate to sign Hamilton. The Sox may have caught the perfect storm this offseason as teams seem mopre reluctant to dole out these long term contracts. A player of Hamilton's caliber on a 4 year deal with a high AAV is a no-brainer for me and even makes Ellsbury more expendable if the FO wants to trade him. I know we still need pitching, but this would be a strong move to make the team much more competitive without tying up the long term future. 4 Year, 110M would get it done. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Josh Hamilton

The "perfect storm"?

We are choosing the worst year in free agency skillset value to sign everyone to super overpaid deals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

The overall FA class is weak, yes, however you cannot argue that Hamilton has arguably been one of the top 5 impactful batters in the last 3-4 years or so. Yet no team is offering him more than 4 years. So with the Sox having a slew of cash to spend and the desire to limit years on contracts...this seems like an enticing opportunity/option, no?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TitleTown11's comment:

The overall FA class is weak, yes, however you cannot argue that Hamilton has arguably been one of the top 5 impactful batters in the last 3-4 years or so. Yet no team is offering him more than 4 years. So with the Sox having a slew of cash to spend and the desire to limit years on contracts...this seems like an enticing opportunity/option, no?

Enticing? YES, of course, but Hamilton is not the next Manny. 

Just because we have money to spend, doesn't mean we have to spend it on the first guy who comes along.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegobees. Show thegobees's posts

Get Josh - We all know about his issues off the field but on the field he does everything.  Even when his does his annual DL stint the guy still puts up 35+ Hr and is an RBI machine.  He will be absolutely LOVED in Boston and it will bring some thunder and respectability back to this team thats been a laughingstock the past couple of years.  Ellsbury is leaving so let's get a pitcher or SS in return.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Love to have Hamilton/Ortiz in the middle of the line-up, no question.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sounds like all the guys who loved having Crawford on board...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yeah, you're right Thus Spake, I was excited getting Craw, was wrong; infallible I ain't, not even close; don't care, still get to express my ops.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The "perfect storm"?

We are choosing the worst year in free agency skillset value to sign everyone to super overpaid deals.

Our signings are not overpaid.  It's the market.  Vic is better than Hunter, imo, so if Hunter gets $13M, what does Vic get?  If Ludwick gets $9M, Vic has to get more.  If Soto gets paid $2.5M, then Ross get paid $3.1M.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

The "perfect storm"?

Our signings are not overpaid.  It's the market.  Vic is better than Hunter, imo, so if Hunter gets $13M, what does Vic get?  If Ludwick gets $9M, Vic has to get more.  If Soto gets paid $2.5M, then Ross get paid $3.1M.

I'd rather not pay "the market" on a guy like Vic, and now that you mention it, I'll take Ludwick at $13M over Vic at $13M.

$9M is a steal in this "market".

I'd rather pay $23M for Hamilton in today's bloated market than Vic, Gomes and Ross.

Plus, since we do not know what any other team offered Vic, we don't know if we overpaid or not. Rumors after the JD Drew signing was that we were bidding against only ourselves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The "perfect storm"?

I'd rather not pay "the market" on a guy like Vic, and now that you mention it, I'll take Ludwick at $13M over Vic at $13M.

I'd rather pay $23M for Hamilton in today's bloated market than Vic, Gomes and Ross.

Plus, since we do not know what any other team offered Vic, we don't know if we overpaid or not. Rumors after the JD Drew signing was that we were bidding against only ourselves.

The Indians offered 4/45 he said no to them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I look at this differently than the Crawford signing. Yes, I won't deny I was excited, but many agreed that it seemed like risky business giving a 30+ lefty speedster $20M for 7 years - myself included. To boot that his defensive intangibles seemed mitigated by the small left field in Boston. People all over the city claimed it was a better idea to give big contracts to sluggers and aces. Well now we have an opportunity to add a bonafide slugger on a short term deal for that same price (or thereabouts). Napoli is already in town to provide him with some comfort level, but the risk is much lower given that he will only yield a 4 year deal and Texas seems more interested in Upton/Greinke. No one else can pay him like the Sox. I truly see it as a competition between Texas and Boston and with Texas back turned at the moment as they pursue other avenues of team building - the Sox should strike and bring him in on a 4 year deal at a higher salary than what Texas will spend. At that point, the lineup is basically complete pending trades of catchers or Ellsbury and then Cherington can turn to pitching upgrades. Pedroia-Hamilton-Napoli-Ortiz-Middlebrooks for the 2-6 sounds dam* good to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Never liked the size of Craw contract though.  4 years of Hamilton, say go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I look at this differently than the Crawford signing. Yes, I won't deny I was excited, but many agreed that it seemed like risky business giving a 30+ lefty speedster $20M for 7 years - myself included. To boot that his defensive intangibles seemed mitigated by the small left field in Boston. People all over the city claimed it was a better idea to give big contracts to sluggers and aces. Well now we have an opportunity to add a bonafide slugger on a short term deal for that same price (or thereabouts). Napoli is already in town to provide him with some comfort level, but the risk is much lower given that he will only yield a 4 year deal and Texas seems more interested in Upton/Greinke. No one else can pay him like the Sox. I truly see it as a competition between Texas and Boston and with Texas back turned at the moment as they pursue other avenues of team building - the Sox should strike and bring him in on a 4 year deal at a higher salary than what Texas will spend. At that point, the lineup is basically complete pending trades of catchers or Ellsbury and then Cherington can turn to pitching upgrades. Pedroia-Hamilton-Napoli-Ortiz-Middlebrooks for the 2-6 sounds dam* good to me.

I disagree. I remember myself, softy, and maybe 2-3 other posters agsinst the CC signing. Some said he was overpaid, but "loved the signing anyway".

Not many are saying they love the Vic signing, so it is different than CC.

I can understand the Naps deal, but the Vic signing was foolish. We could have gotten Pagan instead, or signed 2 pitchers and traded Doubront for a cheaper and better OF'er.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I disagree. I remember myself, softy, and maybe 2-3 other posters agsinst the CC signing. Some said he was overpaid, but "loved the signing anyway".

I can understand the Naps deal, but the Vic signing was foolish. We could have gotten Pagan instead, or signed 2 pitchers and traded Doubront for a cheaper and better OF'er.

I don't just come to BDC forums to hear opinions...many "experts", radio hosts, and other bloggers lamented the signing in addition to you and softy.

As for my last post - I was comparing signing Hamilton to signing Crawford. That is what I was advocating. Hamilton, a slugger, can be had for short years and high dollars - whereas the Sox previously committed long years and high dollars to Crawford which seemed like an odd fit. Hamilton would fit here perfectly as our left fielder and middle of the lineup hitter for the next 4 years. I didn't even bring up Victorino. But yeah - I don't think it was a great signing either for the length and terms, but it isn't awful either. I'm willing to let it play out before passing judgement.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The "perfect storm"?

Indians offered 4/44 for SV. so we had to anti up to get 3 years. It is what it is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Theres not much out there in FA with pitching Moon. Guys like Dempster and Lohse, who are mid 30's, want 3 years and north of 12M per. Thats insane! To say we couldve picked up 2 pitchers, trade our young cost controlled LHP for an OF'er and be more improved seems easier said than done.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Hamilton will not sign a 3 year $39mill contract, and those were the only ones Cherington brought to Nashville.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Good thing the winter meetings are over then...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

From MLBTR

Buzz this morning points to the Rangers zeroing in on Greinke and trading for a bat rather than signing Josh Hamilton and trading for an arm
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#c4pJQYhvmsGUSByd.99

He is running out of potential destinations...

Will he choose Seattle, where bats go to die, or Boston, where bats come to thrive?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think it is all depend which team Grienke will sign with.  If he sign with the Rangers, Boston could have a very good chance to get Hamilton, but if Rangers loses out the bid, then Hamilton will go to the Rangers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Or the Sox could be aggressive and snag Hamilton while the Rangers are playing the waiting game

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But Grienke stated that he will make his decision this week.  Maybe he ll change his mind and wait longer like Texieria did it in some years ago when he stated that he will make his decision by thanksgiving, instead he waited another three more weeks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Hamilton is the only truly elite bat available and would instantly transform our lineup. Carl Crawford is hardly an apt comparison (and I never liked that deal).

If Josh will sign for 4 years, or even 5, I hope Ben swoops in and gets something done and trades Ellsbury, Salty, and some other pieces (including top prospects, for the right return) for some quality starting pitching. I won't be burning Cherington and Henry in effigy if it doesn't happen, but if we're going to try to truly compete in 2013 I think it's the best way to do so...beats a "just okay" outfield of Gomes, Ells, and Victorino, a lineup with no sure-thing 30-homer bat, and having to find pitching from the mediocre and overpriced FA market.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts