Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field?

Can he play center if Wonderboy (Jake)  leaves in two years?

He does have some good speed to cover the field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field?

I think Kalish is a more likely candidate. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ellsbury ain't leaving boys. He will be cutting a very large contract with Sox or Theo is an alltime idiot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field?:
    [QUOTE]Ellsbury ain't leaving boys. He will be cutting a very large contract with Sox or Theo is an alltime idiot.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

the yazzer sould be all over this comment...just give it a minute..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Well, it's for sure Ellsbury needs to be dumped ASAP.  He's only the 4th highest rated player (wins above replacement) in MLB right now.  No better time than now to bring Reddick, Kalish, whoever.  Lavarnway is a righty with power, so why not stick him in CF? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Well, it's for sure Ellsbury needs to be dumped ASAP.  He's only the 4th highest rated player (wins above replacement) in MLB right now.  No better time than now to bring Reddick, Kalish, whoever.  Lavarnway is a righty with power, so why not stick him in CF? 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Clearly you didn't read any of the posts here.  This is discussing what will happen if Ells leaves in 2+ years, under the assumption that no extension will be reached.  No one is talking about moving him right now (except for Softy of course).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I think Red should stay in RF for now.  I'm not ready to anoint him as the RF for the next 6 years yet, but I think he's earned the job until further notice.  By the time Ells is due to hit FA, the Sox may have some other viable options for CF, but if Red sticks as a MLB level OF, he could slide to CF to accommodate Brentz in RF.

Kalish is of course under consideration as well, but there will be some movement there within the next 2+ years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

Reddick is our right fielder, and Ells will be signed to a lengthy extension after the season, and he will sign!  So, can we do away with the nonsense of Ells leaving??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick is our right fielder, and Ells will be signed to a lengthy extension after the season, and he will sign!  So, can we do away with the nonsense of Ells leaving??
    Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

Beavis threw it out there like throwing spaghetti against a wall. Some of it will stick and annoy a few. He wins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field?:
    [QUOTE]Can he play center if Wonderboy (Jake)  leaves in two years? He does have some good speed to cover the field.
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

If we don't trade him Kalish is probably the guy for CF.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

CF is alot more than speed, if speed was the only criteria Ellsbury never would have struggled for a minute out there.

The toughest reads are the balls hit right at you in terms of knowing distance, making it harder to know when to break in or back. That is why chasing balls to the gaps is easier in many ways.

Could Reddick learn those reads and does he have the natural instincts for them? He has the speed to compensate for the inevitable late breaks that will happen.

Chance are good he could be a CF. His arm is stronger than many CF, who primarily only need to hit the cutoff man.

I have noticed his feet getting "tangled" in RF as he charges balls sometimes. The throw he made yesterday that nailed a run at the plate ended up way off line because of this but it had so much on it and the choice to run on him given the depth of the hit made it an easy out even though Salty had to go get it and bring it back to the plate.

So he is a work in progress. The one thing that impressed me about Kalish was that he almost always fielded the ball in the perfect positioning. He would go out and back when he had the time so his body would be coming into a throw. Real solid fundamentally. But he flat out got fooled on a few balls hit right at him when in CF, caught moving in three steps before he moved back.

So almost every fielder and particularly those in their first few years of MLB ball will have "moments" if you watch them closely enough. I never saw Drew with teh Cards so I can't say if he was always darn near perfect in his reads, but by the time he got to Boston, like him or not, he was.

A long way of saying Josh Reddick might never win a GG in CF but he won't kill a team that plays him there, even in Fenway with its odd and pretty expansive dimensions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick is our right fielder, and Ells will be signed to a lengthy extension after the season, and he will sign!  So, can we do away with the nonsense of Ells leaving??
    Posted by REBEL[/QUOTE]

Why are you so certain that Ells signs a reasonable extension?  He has Boras as his agent, I certainly don't see him willing to take a discount.  The Sox already have 2 years of team control left for short money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]CF is alot more than speed, if speed was the only criteria Ellsbury never would have struggled for a minute out there. The toughest reads are the balls hit right at you in terms of knowing distance, making it harder to know when to break in or back. That is why chasing balls to the gaps is easier in many ways. Could Reddick learn those reads and does he have the natural instincts for them? He has the speed to compensate for the inevitable late breaks that will happen. Chance are good he could be a CF. His arm is stronger than many CF, who primarily only need to hit the cutoff man. I have noticed his feet getting "tangled" in RF as he charges balls sometimes. The throw he made yesterday that nailed a run at the plate ended up way off line because of this but it had so much on it and the choice to run on him given the depth of the hit made it an easy out even though Salty had to go get it and bring it back to the plate. So he is a work in progress. The one thing that impressed me about Kalish was that he almost always fielded the ball in the perfect positioning. He would go out and back when he had the time so his body would be coming into a throw. Real solid fundamentally. But he flat out got fooled on a few balls hit right at him when in CF, caught moving in three steps before he moved back. So almost every fielder and particularly those in their first few years of MLB ball will have "moments" if you watch them closely enough. I never saw Drew with teh Cards so I can't say if he was always darn near perfect in his reads, but by the time he got to Boston, like him or not, he was. A long way of saying Josh Reddick might never win a GG in CF but he won't kill a team that plays him there, even in Fenway with its odd and pretty expansive dimensions.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Good post fivekatz, Theo's in a tough position because I know he really likes Kalish.  Reddick was given an opportunity this season he may have never seen had Ryan been healthy.  I give Josh credit for taking advantage of it but also feel Theo would like to keep Kalish around as insurance for whatever happens with the Ells negotiations.

I don't see Reddick being athletic enough to play CF better than Kalish or Ells but thats just my perception.  It will be interesting to see if Theo can keep Kalish out of any trade talks he may be involved with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field? : Why are you so certain that Ells signs a reasonable extension?  He has Boras as his agent, I certainly don't see him willing to take a discount.  The Sox already have 2 years of team control left for short money.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]This can't be under estimated IMHO. Boras works a very consistent track with his players and for the vast majority it means that they get to maximize their earnings in MLB.

Some of the Boras rules. Never extend unless health risks are great (Gagne with the Dodgers was this type of extension).

Never extend right before FA, test the market. The open market will always drive the highest possible price.

He does this so consistently that he can occasionally mess up a player. Tek. There is no argument that he should have advised him to go to arbitration in after the 2008 season. It cost Jason $7M he'll never get back.

Nothing indicates that anything in the case of Jacoby Ellsbury would make Scott Boras veer from his usual plan of attack, which would be to go to arbitration two more times with Ellsbury, pick a number high enough to ensure Boston wants to do a deal before it gets to an arbitrator and not so high that Boston would risk prevailing on their lower number. He will then take Ellsbury to the open market, where depending on supply and demand his value will exceed the valuation the RS place on him, given their budget and other player assets.

Ellsbury signing an extension in terms of odds has to be way below 20% IMO and being retained after arbitration probably lower given the $140M commitment they made to a similar profile player. It is long way to go but sadly right now of the two Ellsbury may be the better value. Better SB% for his career, plays a tougher OF position, hits LH pitching better, higher OBP and now that his power has emerged (not unusual at his age) the cruel joke may be getting the lesser player in the profile eliminated the ability to retain the better one.

Just my takes    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field? : Good post fivekatz, Theo's in a tough position because I know he really likes Kalish.  Reddick was given an opportunity this season he may have never seen had Ryan been healthy.  I give Josh credit for taking advantage of it but also feel Theo would like to keep Kalish around as insurance for whatever happens with the Ells negotiations. I don't see Reddick being athletic enough to play CF better than Kalish or Ells but thats just my perception.  It will be interesting to see if Theo can keep Kalish out of any trade talks he may be involved with.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]Not sure Kalish will be in any talks because the RS value versus how any other organization values a player with the health issues Kalish has had interupt his development this year will likley be wide.

That leaves the RS kicking in a different player so the two parties have agreement on value IMO. The RS are bound to think they are giving more in Kalish than another team would and I doubt kalish is high on anybody's charts right now as a must have. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field? : Not sure Kalish will be in any talks because the RS value versus how any other organization values a player with the health issues Kalish has had interupt his development this year will likley be wide. That leaves the RS kicking in a different player so the two parties have agreement on value IMO. The RS are bound to think they are giving more in Kalish than another team would and I doubt kalish is high on anybody's charts right now as a must have. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Makes sense and I hope you're right.  Kalish is a kid I would like to see more of if he can stay healthy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Josh Reddick: Heir Apparent to Center Field?:
    [QUOTE]Can he play center if Wonderboy (Jake)  leaves in two years? He does have some good speed to cover the field.
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE] THAT IS SO FAR AWAY THAT IT IS NOT EVEN ON THEO'S RADAR......  "LET ME BE CLEAR", WE HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF THE "BIG O" MAKING THE USA A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY LONG BEFORE THEN !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I do not think we are going to sign Ellsbury to a Crawford type deal. That is probably what it's going to take. I think Theo will want the draft picks instead.

I think Reddick probably stays in RF as he has a great Arm but the most likely farm OF to emerge by then could be Brentz, who could probably man RF for us and then we could move Reddick to CF. We have Kalish, Hassan, Jacobs and maybe even the new CF we just drafted out of South Carolina who might be in the picture by then.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I being an Elles fan who saw the writing on the wall the day the Sox signed Crawford believes the time to trade Elles is this winter after he has helped lead the team to a 2011 WSC. His value will never be higher the rest of his MLBN career.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why would you want to get rid of jake?

dumb

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Burrito sold his stock in Microsoft when it was $10 per share. Timing was never his forte.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol. I did sell my Sirius stock at .50 cents after buying in at .22, a year later it was at $2 and it is still going up. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The single most important issue facing the Sox is that they must trade Jake now.

Over and over we have heard this for almost 3 years now.

It might be a funny joke, if it wasn't such a serious and obsessive manifestation of a delusional narcissist.

Most teams improve on their weak or weakest link(s).

Not softy.

Trade Jake!
    Cut our $2M team record 9-4 starter (Wake)!
    Cut VTek!
    Bring back BHall and Cam!
    Let Beckett walk!
    The SD GM is an idiot for not helping softy be right for once!
    AGon will not sign in April!
    VMart is a good game-calling catcher- sign him to a "wheelchair deal"!

On and on this absurdity goes.

The silly clown is exposed.

25. This post has been removed.