Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedDead2067. Show RedDead2067's posts

Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish?

Who is better?

Who will be better in 3 years time?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish?

Forget 3 years from now, Reddick is better. Kalish needs to get his shoulder 100% and get more ML time...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Reddick is obviously better right now. Kalish hasn't even played a game in three months!

But to answer your question:
    • Reddick has more natural power in his swing. Kalish might hit 15-20 home runs in the majors in his prime. Reddick could hit 30.
    • Kalish has more speed and would be a better fit in CF. But Reddick is an excellent defensive RF, which seems to be our immediate need.
    • Kalish *has* questionable plate discipline, with 42 K vs. 19 BB in 220 PA at Pawtucket. A 38/12 ratio in the majors. He absolutely needs to improve on that if he is to hit above .250 in the majors.
    • Reddick *had* questionable plate discipline. Never struck out quite as often as Kalish, but 73 K vs. 25 BB in 481 PA last year is a pretty bad ratio for AAA. On the other hand, he improved that to 39 K vs. 33 BB this year at AAA (in 231 PA). Fewer K's with half again the number of walks!  Reddick has also carried this success over to the majors, with 15 K and 9 BB in 87 PA.
    So which do you want? A speedy outfielder who likely won't hit for much power and has big problems controlling the strike zone? Or a natural power hitter who has finally figured out the difference between a strike and a ball? Kalish may yet develop into a quality major league player, but he needs another year to work on his plate discipline. Reddick has already made that jump.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

For the past three years or so, that has been the question...which one is the better of the two.

As thirtysomething has pointed out, that perrenial question has finally been answered, at least for now.  Reddick is the man right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Thirty.....all really good points. I do agree that Kalish needs to work on his plate discipline, but I think it his stint last year he proced he is ready to make the jump. A half year at AAA this year should have done it but with the injury he has been set back. The issue for Kalish and Reddick is that they are both Lefties...so if next year you have an outfield of Crawford, Ellsbury and say Reddick, do you want another lefty as your 4th outfielder? Unless the Sox move Ells when is contract is up, one of them is redundant and may be moved in a deal for a more pressing need.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And then we find out who is considered the best by insiders.  The one who gets the most interest from potential trading partners.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish?:
    [QUOTE]Thirty.....all really good points. I do agree that Kalish needs to work on his plate discipline, but I think it his stint last year he proced he is ready to make the jump. A half year at AAA this year should have done it but with the injury he has been set back. The issue for Kalish and Reddick is that they are both Lefties...so if next year you have an outfield of Crawford, Ellsbury and say Reddick, do you want another lefty as your 4th outfielder? Unless the Sox move Ells when is contract is up, one of them is redundant and may be moved in a deal for a more pressing need.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Agreed, tomnev. For now, I think the Red Sox should go with Reddick as their starting RF and Kalish finishing his development in the minors. Kalish has two more options remaining, so the Sox can afford to take it at his pace.

Next July, if Reddick is playing well and Kalish is knocking on the door, we can revisit the debate. (If either is not the case, then there is nothing to resolve.) I agree that having a RHH as a reserve is valuable when you have three LHH starters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

It's Reddick's job to lose at this point.  Will he lose it?  Only time will tell, we just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It seems to me Kalish may have the higher floor, and would be the one here if not for injury.  However Reddick has made strides this year and I think he may have a higher ceiling.  Reddick's defense is as good as Kalish with a stronger arm,  Kalish has had more success with the bat but Reddick I think has the potential to add more pop than Kalish.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Kalish is still listed as the Red Sox number one prospect.  Him being injured doesn't change that. http://www.soxprospects.com/index.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

who truly knows how the prospects are valued by the Sox organization.  Every list is different.  Ba Baseball prospectus, Soxprospects etc....these are not affiliated with the Sox organization (as far as I'm aware) and if you look at ranking pasts you see hits and you see misses.  I'm sure wherever Reddick is it's much higher than it was at the beginning of the season for the Sox FO. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Kalish is a future full-time outfielder for the Sox, while Reddick will be gone from the Sox in two years or less.
    Lest we forget 2010 and Kalish as a young 22 year old and came up and played very  well, well enough that the Sos projected him as Drew's replacment in 2012.
    Just because of a injury[Kalish has missed most all of 2011] he is still projected as a future outfielder with a very bright future. Reddick does not have the plate disipline that Kalis has, is not as good a defensive player as Kalish, does not have Kalish'es speed and is 2 years older.
    With apossible outfield of Crawford, Ellsbury and Kalish in 2012, not many balls will be uncatchable.
    While I like Reddick and feel he has made great strides in 2011, I don't see him being a everyday player[at least not in Boston] Iwould like to be proved wrong as that would mean the Sox found another power hitting outfielder, but I just have a better feeling about Kalish than Reddick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]who truly knows how the prospects are valued by the Sox organization.  Every list is different.  Ba Baseball prospectus, Soxprospects etc....these are not affiliated with the Sox organization (as far as I'm aware) and if you look at ranking pasts you see hits and you see misses.  I'm sure wherever Reddick is it's much higher than it was at the beginning of the season for the Sox FO. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

i was more commenting on the thread itself.  My point is that kalish is valued very highly by the organization.  Him being injured does not mean that all of a sudden Reddick has jumped over Kalish in their eyes.  I still like Kalish better.  Reddick is known as a streaky hitter. It amazes me that people just look at his 340 average over 75 at bats with the Red Sox and discount the fact that he was hitting 230 over 190 at bats at AAA.  

I like Reddick but I see him as a guy that will hit 260 and hit 15 to 20 homers.  Not that there is anything wrong with that but I see Kalish as having more upside and so do the Red Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Kalish is a future full-time outfielder for the Sox, while Reddick will be gone from the Sox in two years or less. Lest we forget 2010 and Kalish as a young 22 year old and came up and played very  well, well enough that the Sos projected him as Drew's replacment in 2012. Just because of a injury[Kalish has missed most all of 2011] he is still projected as a future outfielder with a very bright future. Reddick does not have the plate disipline that Kalis has, is not as good a defensive player as Kalish, does not have Kalish'es speed and is 2 years older. With apossible outfield of Crawford, Ellsbury and Kalish in 2012, not many balls will be uncatchable. While I like Reddick and feel he has made great strides in 2011, I don't see him being a everyday player[at least not in Boston] Iwould like to be proved wrong as that would mean the Sox found another power hitting outfielder, but I just have a better feeling about Kalish than Reddick
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Your absolutely correct,  people have very short memory's and they are easy to forget.  Remember though, Kalish is projected to be a better bat than Reddick because of Reddick's inability to show patience at the plate.....something the Sox have been drilling into his development for years and for whatever reason it is clicking right now.  Even though his AVG was down in Pawtucket, his BB rate doubled and that has carried over to the bigs....except he's hitting now as well.

I wouldn't count Kalish out, but Reddick is making a strong case for himself. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Reddicks career OPS at the MLB level is .742 (196 AB's) compared to Kalish's OPS of .710 (163 AB's).

While I agree that Kalish has the higher floor and Reddick the higher ceiling, shouldn't we give Kalish's MLB experience and Reddick's MLB experience at least equal weight when discussing them instead of just saying Reddick is streaky and Kalish was good last year?

I'm not saying Reddick isn't streaky, but Drew has been streaky for 5 years too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Reddicks career OPS at the MLB level is .742 (196 AB's) compared to Kalish's OPS of .710 (163 AB's). While I agree that Kalish has the higher floor and Reddick the higher ceiling, shouldn't we give Kalish's MLB experience and Reddick's MLB experience at least equal weight when discussing them instead of just saying Reddick is streaky and Kalish was good last year? I'm not saying Reddick isn't streaky, but Drew has been streaky for 5 years too.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I am not "just" saying Reddick is streaky.  I am saying he hit 230 in 190 at bats in AAA and is hitting 340 in 75 at bats with Boston.  It's up to anyone to really interpret which stat you think is more true to his ability.  I know what I think, I think Reddick is just okay.  But then again I thought that they needed to send Perdroia back to AAA.  I've been wrong before.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I know it will come across as controversial but Kalish was an injury waiting to happen the way he played the OF. We all saw that right? He was diving all over the place doing his Sam Fuld impersonation. We all loved it but he was an injury waiting to happen.

I like what I see in Reddick's face this year., He is absolutely determined. He has matured. And as much as I liked Kalish diving all over the place I preferred Reddick's defense. Reddick was considered one of the best OF arms in baseball just a couple years ago. He is better defensively, especially in our RF.

I love Kalish's ability to steal bases. I don't know why they didn't just give him the operation earlier and be done with it. Kalish is a valuable prospect also. No question about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

may be a moot point if we trade for Beltran, the Mets will want Reddick

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Think about this. The Sox have Hassan, Chiang, Lin, Brentz, Hazzelbaker and Jacobs in the minors. If I had to pick 2 keepers out of that group they would be Jacobs and Brentz. I would think that Hassan, Lin and Chiang at least are trade bait.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Think about this. The Sox have Hassan, Chiang, Lin, Brentz, Hazzelbaker and Jacobs in the minors. If I had to pick 2 keepers out of that group they would be Jacobs and Brentz. I would think that Hassan, Lin and Chiang at least are trade bait.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I agree 1000%, with the condition that we have a bridge until Brentz/Jacobs are ready.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]Reddicks career OPS at the MLB level is .742 (196 AB's) compared to Kalish's OPS of .710 (163 AB's). While I agree that Kalish has the higher floor and Reddick the higher ceiling, shouldn't we give Kalish's MLB experience and Reddick's MLB experience at least equal weight when discussing them instead of just saying Reddick is streaky and Kalish was good last year? I'm not saying Reddick isn't streaky, but Drew has been streaky for 5 years too.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I agree JB. I am still trying to figure out what Kalish did last year that warrants him being "very good" on this link (not by you)...his numbers were rather pedestrian, but lets give him the benefit of the doubt due to age/PA's. But still, what did I miss last year that would make any Red Sox fan comfortable that this guy can play a major role in the AL East for a team trying to win a WS?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish? : I am not "just" saying Reddick is streaky.  I am saying he hit 230 in 190 at bats in AAA and is hitting 340 in 75 at bats with Boston.  It's up to anyone to really interpret which stat you think is more true to his ability.  I know what I think, I think Reddick is just okay.  But then again I thought that they needed to send Perdroia back to AAA.  I've been wrong before.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Yes he was hitting 230 but he had 14 Hrs in those 190 ABs also and had always hit at the ML level. I think he is more than OK.....but I have been wrong before also.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish? : I am not "just" saying Reddick is streaky.  I am saying he hit 230 in 190 at bats in AAA and is hitting 340 in 75 at bats with Boston.  It's up to anyone to really interpret which stat you think is more true to his ability.  I know what I think, I think Reddick is just okay.  But then again I thought that they needed to send Perdroia back to AAA.  I've been wrong before.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

My point though, is that with a hitter who we can all agree is streaky, you need to drill down into how they reached their average.  Look at the .230 mark he posted in AAA this year, he was destroying AAA in April (88 AB's) with a line of .273/.356/.636 and then he started to cool off in May (77 AB's) .221/.330/.403 (still a respectable .733 OPS).  He was then called up to the majors and could not readjust when he returned to AAA for 8 games in June (26 AB's) .115/.278/.385.  Even with his struggles upon his return to AAA, he maintained a respectable OBP (considering his average).

You can talk about his .230 average in AAA this year and say that his average should regress, which is fine.  I don't think anyone really expects him to hit .340 all year.  But his AAA OPS of .841 would be perfectly fine in RF, even if that's about 200 points below what he's done at MLB this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish? : I agree JB. I am still trying to figure out what Kalish did last year that warrants him being "very good" on this link (not by you)...his numbers were rather pedestrian, but lets give him the benefit of the doubt due to age/PA's. But still, what did I miss last year that would make any Red Sox fan comfortable that this guy can play a major role in the AL East for a team trying to win a WS?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Kalish certainly has intriguing potential for good defense in CF with a nice power/speed combination, but he needs time to refine his skills.  A big part of Reddicks advantage over him IMO is that he's older and has had the extra 2 years to learn the game.  Also, the Sox would get more prime years from Reddick than they would from Kalish if they brought one of them up for good.

Anyway, there are certainly some things to like about Kalish, but it isn't his time yet, especially after missing so much of 2011 with his shoulder injury.