Josh Willingham?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Josh Willingham?

Hmm, Cuddyer looks like he's staying in Minn, Beltran looks fragile, I cant stand the Sox rookie wannabe RF'ers...

How about 29 HR, 98 RBI in 136 G, playing home games in a cavern... RH RFer Willingham?

Dont care about his average or mediocre OF skills. Kid can rake, right handed and in Fenway???

Any better ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Josh Willingham?

Cody Ross for a small fraction of the cost.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Offer Cody Ross 2 years and 5 million, to platoon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Cody Ross doesnt have half the power Willingham does.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Josh Willingham?:
    Hmm, Cuddyer looks like he's staying in Minn, Beltran looks fragile, I cant stand the Sox rookie wannabe RF'ers... How about 29 HR, 98 RBI in 136 G, playing home games in a cavern... RH RFer Willingham? Dont care about his average or mediocre OF skills. Kid can rake, right handed and in Fenway??? Any better ideas?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Oakland isn't going to re-sign him, $6M in 2011.
    Red Sox are one of nine teams to have contacted him.
    Twins, Indians, Rays and Reds among the group pursuing the 32-year-old free agent.

Willingham spent last season with the A’s, hitting .246 with a .332 on-base percentage and .477 slugging mark, and he did strike out 150 times and he had 26 home runs and 98 RBIs.
    Prior to that, he spent two seasons with the Nationals, after three full seasons with the Marlins. His career averages are .262./.361/.475. Not the worst of fielders.

Achilles and back problems last year landed him on the DL.
    In 760 MLB games he's played less than 40 in RF.
    Playing in 136 games in 2011 is not a place to start with someone who's paid that much cash.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Cody Ross might be good enough to go FT.
    • Cody Ross is 31 on the 23rd of Dec.
    • Per 625 PAs career: .265/.323/.456/.779  23 HRs  87 RBIs 
    • vs LHP (per 625 PAs) .282  40  120
    • Cody might be signed for $7M/2
    • Josh might be signed for $14M/2.
    • Josh will be 33 in February.
    • Per 625 PAs career: .262/.361/.475/.836  30 HRs  99 RBIs 
    • Career vs LHPs (per 625 PAs) .254  33  90
    • Josh is a horrible fielder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Cody does not fix Ellsbury and Crawford problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Willingham?:
    Cody Ross might be good enough to go FT. Cody Ross is 31 on the 23rd of Dec. Per 625 PAs career: .265/.323/.456/.779  23 HRs  87 RBIs  vs LHP (per 625 PAs) .282  40  120 Cody might be signed for $7M/2 Josh might be signed for $14M/2. Josh will be 33 in February. Per 625 PAs career: .262/.361/.475/.836  30 HRs  99 RBIs  Career vs LHPs (per 625 PAs) .254  33  90 Josh is a horrible fielder.
    Posted by moonslav59

Would you consider Laynce Nix or more importantly Jason Kubel?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We don't have enough money to fix the Crawford problem, and why do you say look at career numbers of Scutty vs LHPs and RHPs, but focus only on Jacoby's 2011 numbers vs LHPs to claim there is a problem?

Your constant changing of the jduging criteria is so transparent.

Jacoby's career splits:

vs RHPs: .301/.354/.462/.816
    vs LHPs: .299/.355/.427/.782
    (The main disparity is in Slg% not the more important OBP)

And your favorite stat for Papi... 
    (spilts when a LHPs starts vs when a RHP starts)

vs LH  .305/.363/.461/.825
    vs RH  .299/.351/.449/.800

When you use so many different stats to change your criteria in order to "support" your position, you just open the door to school you in reverse lessons.

Also, I see you have dropped the whole "Jake can't get on base as a leadoff hitter" argument anymore.  (Currently at .348 career)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Willingham? : Would you consider Laynce Nix or more importantly Jason Kubel?
    Posted by WesternOregon

Kubel is a lefty and stinks vs LHPs...so no. 
    I don't know much about Nix. He's a lefty, so no.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Moon, could we stick to the thread?  You guys can fight elsewhere.

And Id love Kubel if he were RH, but he's not.

Would it be correct to say Ross has been a part-timer because he's a career platoon player while Josh has just been hurt?  (I dont know the answer)

I just got a feeling Josh is that Nick Esasky waiting to happen.

Moon, do you really think Josh goes for double the $?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, could we stick to the thread?  You guys can fight elsewhere. And Id love Kubel if he were RH, but he's not. Would it be correct to say Ross has been a part-timer because he's a career platoon player while Josh has just been hurt?  (I dont know the answer) I just got a feeling Josh is that Nick Esasky waiting to happen. Moon, do you really think Josh goes for double the $?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Maybe not double, but close to it. My point is, we are hurting for every million we can save, inorder to build up the 3-4 vacant slots in our staff. I'm not even sure we can afford Ross.

Also, if you compare overall numbers (vs RHPs and LHPs), Cody is pretty close to Josh. Since I think one of Reddick or Kalish will be on the big club next season, I think Cody can be sat against the tough RHPs and end up playing 55-70% of the games and have very similar numbers as Josh. 

PS I was sticking to the thread. I was addressing softy's claim that Cody did not help "fix" the CC/Ells problem, by showing no problem exists with Jacoby vs LHPs. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Fair enough.  I didnt see the huge differential in their costs, but if true, you have a point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Cody Ross.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Well, rather than race to renovation we'll have to rest in resurrection.

I'm far less concerned about the field and bats than I am about the rotation and bullpen.

Somehow Josh Beckett, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz do little to encourage me and now with Bedard gone it may be a wing and a prayer. Third place looks feasible for 2012.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Josh Willingham could be a nice fit in the line up, but can he play defensively at RF?  Also what is his asking price lately.  Since Cuddyer got offer from the Twins for 3 years/$27mm, but still Cuddyer havent accept it.  Would Willingham use Cuddyer's leverage pay to counter offer to these teams who are interested him?

Forget him for now!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Willingham, Cuddyer, Ross or Quentin would be a nice fit in RF, maybe sharing that position with Kalish, presuming Reddick goes to Oakland for Andrew Bailey and whomever the righthanded hitting outfielder is, Kalish could also rest Ellsbury in CF and Kalish and the righthanded hitting outfielder could play some in LF to give Carl Crawford an occasional rest.  One righthanded hitting power hitting outfielder would balance the outfield in a way it has not been in a number of seasons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Forget about spending big in RF. We'll be lucky to have enough cash to fill our our pitching staff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Cody does not fix Ellsbury and Crawford problem.
    Posted by hankwilliams

And just what problem is that softy? Especially with Ellsbury. I'd love to have 9 guys in the lineup that had speed, and hit over .300 with 32hr and over 100 RBI. I can see how that kind of thing just won't be tolerated on the Red Sox. Crawford also will be fine. This little chihuahua is telling you to bark up another tree. You are stark, raving NUTS with this crap.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I concur on Cody Ross, as in another thread, moon.

And now that we have Papi for about $14 mil for one year, I wonder about the wiggle room under the luxury tax ceiling.

No wonder the Sox have been quiet.

Even the Yankees are quiet and passed on Pujols.

The free agency auction system is far from free, and it seems to be testing the limits of everyone.

Except Miami, but Jeff Loria is just apparently out of his mind.

I shudder to think about what the bullpen will  look like in another month.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Moon, you sold me on Cody Ross. He is a solid player, who will come at a cheap price.  I think Reddick will be traded in a Bailey trade, but I think a Ross/Kailish platoon can produce just as much offense as one of the higher priced FA'sat a fraction of the cost.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Moon, you sold me on Cody Ross. He is a solid player, who will come at a cheap price.  I think Reddick will be traded in a Bailey trade, but I think a Ross/Kailish platoon can produce just as much offense as one of the higher priced FA'sat a fraction of the cost.
    Posted by titletownfan

Probably, assuming Kalish can get back up to speed after missing a whole year. That's the real question here. If he can pick up where he left off, RF won't be a problem. What a nice surprise that'd be!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Sox should only sign Willingham if Cherrington is unable to coax Rob Deer out of retirement.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Willingham? : Probably, assuming Kalish can get back up to speed after missing a whole year. That's the real question here. If he can pick up where he left off, RF won't be a problem. What a nice surprise that'd be! Posted by TheExaminer

Now that right field is solved. Who drafts the letter to Cherington?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Willingham? : Now that right field is solved. Who drafts the letter to Cherington?
    Posted by WesternOregon

I will West--I'll do it when I bring my Inception team into the Sox office tommorow to plant some "key" ideas in the FO's grimy, tight fisted minds....LOL

Sections
Shortcuts