Josh Willingham?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Re: Josh Willingham?

Moono must have a poster of Cody Ross in his room.
    Cody Ross stinks!
    Just the idea of Hillbilly Josh Reddick in RF for most of the time makes me want to heave.
    Get Quentin from the White Sox and put a real RF out there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

From Ben's mutterings today, (re: money spent on Ortiz) it sounds like the Sox have zero interest in bringing an actual MLB RF'er in to replace the 2-headed Pawtucket Monster we have penciled in now.

I'm with GoT:  Hurl.

From Tony Conigliaro to the wannabe twins... after dumping J D Drew.  When did Right Field turn into Who Cares?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, you sold me on Cody Ross. He is a solid player, who will come at a cheap price.  I think Reddick will be traded in a Bailey trade, but I think a Ross/Kailish platoon can produce just as much offense as one of the higher priced FA'sat a fraction of the cost.

I don't think it would be a strict platoon. Ross has some very good career numbers vs several RHPs. Even though kalish is the LHB, I can see Ross getting 75% of the PAs. Kalish could pick up some other PAs when Jacoby and CC need rest, but being a LHB, we don't gain as much as having another RH'd batter. I doubt we carry 5 OF'ers (DMac?), so maybe Aviles will battle for those PAs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Josh Willingham?:
    [QUOTE]Moono must have a poster of Cody Ross in his room. Cody Ross stinks!

You are locked into the mentality that a player's last season is the number one predictor of future output. It is not.

I admit that Cody has struggled for 2 years. He's not great. I'd much rather have many other RF'ers on our team, however, I am going on the assumption that the last of our resources are going to be spent on pitching, and if we are to get a RF'er, it is going to be with very limited funds. Instead of criticizing everyone elses plans, why don't you tell us what RF'er you think we can get for abour $3-4M a year. Be specific for once.

Just the idea of Hillbilly Josh Reddick in RF for most of the time makes me want to heave. 

Were you traumatized by the movie "Deliverance" or something?

Get Quentin from the White Sox and put a real RF out there.

Get Quentin for what in return?
    You do know that he's really a DH posing as an OF'er, right?
    You do know he will make over $6M next year and we are already at the tax limit, so add the tax to the salary.

Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

From Ben's mutterings today, (re: money spent on Ortiz) it sounds like the Sox have zero interest in bringing an actual MLB RF'er in to replace the 2-headed Pawtucket Monster we have penciled in now.

It's one thing to think henry will or should just open his wallet endlessly, but it's not happening this year. Our offense is fine. We just need an inexpensive tweek in RF and we'll still improve our RF output from 2011. Our biggest need is so clearly pitching that anyone who is advocating spending many millions on RF, is taking the position that our pitching is OK without any upgrades, because that is the choice we have. Almost every penny at ben's discretion needs to go towards our staff. 

It really is that simple.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This a pipe dream (or should I say, pipe cleaner dream). The RS are not going to get any position players unless it's a minor league contract with an invite to ST.
    Ben says pitching is the priority, but I have yet to see any sense of urgency there either.
    I don't like our situation at SS, RF and C, but that's just me. Really, if you think about it, other than losing Pap, we have a good enough enough team to make the PS this year. I think it was a mistake to not re-sign Bedard, opting instead to re-sign Miller, and I do hope they re-sign Wake, we need his stability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]This a pipe dream (or should I say, pipe cleaner dream). The RS are not going to get any position players unless it's a minor league contract with an invite to ST. Ben says pitching is the priority, but I have yet to see any sense of urgency there either. I don't like our situation at SS, RF and C, but that's just me. Really, if you think about it, other than losing Pap, we have a good enough enough team to make the PS this year. I think it was a mistake to not re-sign Bedard, opting instead to re-sign Miller, and I do hope they re-sign Wake, we need his stability.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain, but do not think bedard at $4.5M was the wise choice. We need a workhorse type of pitcher. 
    I'd rather get this:
    210 IP 4.50 ERA
    than this:
    125 IP  4.10 ERA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Sox are fine in the OF - Crawford, Ellsbury, and Reddick 

Signing someone like Willingham would be a waste of cash.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Suddenly the Sox are a charity case, small market team?
    Give me a break!
    5 million for Quentin is a bargin in today's market.
    Meanwhile, Cherington fiddles and gives us his best Theospeak.
    This stinks! So do Crawford and Reddick!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I would love to have Cody Ross on the club.  his price is right.  Shades of trot nixon.  A true gamer.  We need him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Now I am seeing that both Willingham and Cuddyer getting a possible three years offers from a couple teams.  So therefore, Boston may not be able to match their offers!!

Forget both of them!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Do you guys have any clue the financial commitments this team already has going into 2012? They're at roughly 170 million as the team stands right now. That leaves about 8 million to spend before hitting the luxury tax. That's to fill at least 2 spots in the rotation and rebuild the bullpen. You can forget about them signing any position players. They need to work some magic, get creative, maybe a trade to get this team ready for 2012. Because as it stands right now, our rotation is not as good as Tampa or NY.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Do the Yankees or Phil worry abbout the luxury tax? NO!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Since when the Phillies had to pay luxury tax.  Their payroll was 172 million for the 2011 season which that is under less than 8 million dollars under the luxury tax limit.

Also every time the yankees goes over the luxury tax limit, their tax rate increases every time!!  Now they have to pay 40% luxury tax.  But do not forget that the Yankees have one of the best TV contract in baseball where that money help the Yankees's organization to pay off the luxury tax bill!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Helloooo! The Red Sox have NESN, Yawkey way, winter hockey, selling bricks and tons of merchandise. Loads of revenue streams.
    To cry poormouth is insulting to the fans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Suddenly the Sox are a charity case, small market team? Give me a break! 5 million for Quentin is a bargin in today's market. Meanwhile, Cherington fiddles and gives us his best Theospeak. This stinks! So do Crawford and Reddick!

Whether you believe it or not, the Sox are not going to spend big this year.

They may only end up spending about $5-7M more from now on 9besides arb cases), and you want all or most of it going towards Quentin?  

Plus, we'd have to trade somebody to get him!

To cry poormouth is insulting to the fans.

Whether henry opens his wallet or not is his choice. He did it the last two years in a big way. It's not "crying poormouth" when we are the second highest spending team in MLB. It's called being realistic. You may be 100% right that Henry could spend more, but that doesn't mean he will. From all indications, Ben has been given a tight reign on spending. 

Of course, I'd rather have Quentin than Reddick or Ross. Heck, let's get Holliday! It's not happening. Can you just once answer a question? Even if you don't agree with the assumption that we have limited funds this winter, name the guy you'd get for less than $3.5M.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Declined arbitration. Plays both corners OF and some first base. He would be a nice fit. He probalbly wants at least three years, but 33 in Feb.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Gotta love how Moono feels obligated to answer every post.
    Nobody asked you to. I think a poster can put his thoughts out, without hearing from you.
    Do you feel compelled to stick your nose into people's conversations, in life?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Meh, we are down three pitchers so why worry about RF?  Yes, it would be great to have [insert good FA here], but money isn't endless.  Let the kids play!!!

As long as we have a cheapo RH platoon mate on tap in some capacity, I don't see this as a problem ... heck, Kalish or Reddick might actually be a pleasant surprise.  And if they completely stink on offense ('cause they should be solid on D) then the lineup is surely strong enough to carry them and there should be a decent trade market by the time this becomes apparent.

Oh, and if we're looking for trade bait to get our pitchers, I'd rather trade Salty than Reddick.  IMO, we could dish Salty and go with Lava+Tek+[dumpster dive stocked in AAAA] and come out ahead.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Josh Willingham? : Whether you believe it or not, the Sox are not going to spend big this year. They may only end up spending about $5-7M more from now on 9besides arb cases), and you want all or most of it going towards Quentin?   Plus, we'd have to trade somebody to get him! To cry poormouth is insulting to the fans. Whether henry opens his wallet or not is his choice. He did it the last two years in a big way. It's not "crying poormouth" when we are the second highest spending team in MLB. It's called being realistic. You may be 100% right that Henry could spend more, but that doesn't mean he will. From all indications, Ben has been given a tight reign on spending.  Of course, I'd rather have Quentin than Reddick or Ross. Heck, let's get Holliday! It's not happening. Can you just once answer a question? Even if you don't agree with the assumption that we have limited funds this winter, name the guy you'd get for less than $3.5M.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Pretty clear there is no "free" money to spend, but certainly some trades could be made to improve the areas needing attention.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta love how Moono feels obligated to answer every post. Nobody asked you to. I think a poster can put his thoughts out, without hearing from you. Do you feel compelled to stick your nose into people's conversations, in life?

Umm, I thought thats what this forum was all about, giving your opinion and commenting on other people's posts.

Still waiting on a name of a low cost player you would approve of, because that's probably all we are getting in RF...if at all.

Sections
Shortcuts