July is fast approaching

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

July is fast approaching

What mid-season needs do the RS have (if any) in your opinion?
    I think first and foremost, would be BP help, after that a middle infielder/utility guy, then catching, then RH OFer.
    What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: July is fast approaching

I'm all in on some bullpen help.  Of course, can't think of a year when I didn't say that with july fast approaching.

I am good with utility infield.  Assuming Jed gets healthy sooner than later, a rotation of Lowrie, Scutaro, Sutton is just fine with me.

Catcher was a concern for me in early May, but no more.  Salty is shoring up holes in his batting little by little and is rounding into a major league hitter and fairly reliable back stop.  And Tek as backup/Beckett security blanket is fine.  If there was a clear choice of an available catcher who would be better than this conbo, I would consider, but I don't know who that would be.

Bulpen.  Bullpen.  Bullpen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In Response to July is fast approaching:
    [QUOTE]What mid-season needs do the RS have (if any) in your opinion? I think first and foremost, would be BP help, after that a middle infielder/utility guy, then catching, then RH OFer. What say you?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I'd say I agree completely.  Though, I would prefer the infield/utility guy to be someone with a little extra-pop who wouldn't mind warming a spot on the ole bench for when needed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Bullpen and utility infielder.

A decent RH bat coming off the bench would be nice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

right field offensively is a major hole. hopefully, when CRAWFORD returns, REDDICK will be given a shot at being the regular RF and we'll never see DREW again.

WHEELER has been a bust in the BP, as has been JENKS. too bad there's no lemon law in baseball. it would help THEO immensely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think they need a RHH OF'er..Cam and Mac have been useless this year..And you can never have enough bullpen arms..Just heard Gammons mention guys like Ryan Spilborghs or Jeff Baker..Take your pick with BP arms..Its a crap shoot IMO..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Pitching first, bullpen help and possibly a fifth starter upgrade. Salty HAS settled down. John Henry has never called me with job offer (!) but if I were Theo, I'd be inquiring about cost of either Justin Upton or Hunter Pence ( packaged w' Wandy Rodriguez ? ) for long term, or rentals on Beltran or even Carlos Lee.
    Where IS Kalish ?  Or even Bobby Kielty, LOL.
    Are we showcasing Reddick for possible trade ?
    Drew appears to be mailing it in, and Cameron/ McDonald look pretty raw.
    Historically Theo's been pretty good at this, barring Gag-me deal--and that didn't cost much.Main problem is with impending salary increases and cost of possibly keeping Papelbon, we can't expect a blockbuster trade-and-sign for somebody's salary dump star.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I feel a RH outfielder with power is really needed.   We always need bullpen help, but I think a RH hitter puts us over the top.  

Cameron, Drew, Mac ... not going to get it done out there.  Reddick does look much better since coming up again, but another lefty, and a rookie at that, won't be ideal come playoff time.   The question is, who's out there? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: July is fast approaching:
    [QUOTE]I feel a RH outfielder with power is really needed.   We always need bullpen help, but I think a RH hitter puts us over the top.   Cameron, Drew, Mac ... not going to get it done out there.  Reddick does look much better since coming up again, but another lefty, and a rookie at that, won't be ideal come playoff time.   The question is, who's out there? 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

I posted a couple names mentioned by Gammons..take that for what you think its worth...
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/spilbry01.shtml
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bakerje03.shtml

baker might be the better choice between the 2 because he plays IF and OF..RS would be a good RHB vs. Lfties and plays OF..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Aceves needs to be reintroduced to the importance of throwing strikes.

Lucky they were playing a AAA style team or this would have been a blowout.

This is the biggest problem I see right now. If this guy subs or relieves , he can't be throwing 12 balls way off the plate in a row.

The way the offense is going they can even ignore the fact that Drew is doing practically nothing offensively.

Bullpen help would be nice, but I don't think it will be easy to find. I say work with the guys you have and make them pitch more effectively, start with Aceves and Bard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The market will define itself in the coming weeks. There aren't a lot of committed sellers yet. There are as of today three teams that likely feel they are out of it. Maybe 7 or 8 in the NL. So over half of the sport thinks they have a shot at their division.

And this matters because the smaller the group of sellers the more supply and demand favors the sellers.

Fixing bullpens at the deadline via trade is a risky business that seldom ends up satisfying to the buyer, even when the trade results in a post season appearance. So I would think that Theo would be bottom feeding or trying to make the many pieces he has work.

The OF situation will gain clarity in the next couple of weeks. Reddick and Mac will get more PT to demonstrate if they can improve the RF production and possibly Drew and/or Cam will come around.

The catching situation is such when you consider supply and demand that the RS are going to be in a position where they might pick up an adequate guy who can play in Pawtucket but they are going to go with what they have and pray for health. The Salty/Tek combo is now season to date performing offensively at league average and the Indians aren't putting Santana on the market.

I personally think it is a year where they might do very little, certainly not the kind of splashes they made in 2004, 2007 or 2009.

Just my takes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You could be right Katz. I do think Theo will actively try to improve the Rh RF situation if it's still problematic in a month.

Don't be surprised to see Miller in an important BP role come Aug/Sept.
    Think Masterson. Douby is another alternative. Bowden might grow into Tito's favor in time, but that's iffy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Odds are that the Sox will hope for the best from Wheeler and Jenks before splashing around in the bullpen market.  
    Otherwise the club needs better production from the corner outfielders.  Crawford was somewhat on the upswing and will be in left for better or worse.  Drew/Cameron/McDonald have been a nullity. Maybe Drew will make a spurt. Maybe Reddick will "win" the job.  But Theo is certainly at least thinking about a RHed bat just in case.
    One way or another the 6 and 7 holes need shoring up, in-house or otherwise.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Darn it, fivekatz, you stole my thought.  I too don't see any big moves, barring, of course, a season-ending injury, and even then I'm not so sure.

I didn't see, until you said it, that the market will favor sellers because this year there are a lot of competitive divisons, including ours.  Only the Phillies in the NL East seems to be in control--the other five are competitive.  And the Braves are definitely in the hunt for the NL wild card.

Plus there are a few guys left at Pawtucket who could help.  The OP wants a utility infielder, so what is wrong with Navarro?  Good fielder, so far a good hitter, and versatile enough for infield or outfield.    Reddick is actually a Pawtucket guy on borrowed time because Crawford's return could easily send Reddick back.  I hope that doesn't happen, but my point is that so far Reddick looks like a pretty serviceable rightfielder if Theo and Terry are willing to bite the bullet on Drew.  As for the bullpen, it would be very unusual for Theo to be able to get really good help from outside even though I just read that the Yankees are trying to get the Mets closer. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

They need another starter. Wakefield's been solid but will that last? Lackey's pretty bad and with his horrible year and growing attitude about it I don't think he can be depended on. One more solid starter with Lackey/Wakefield as the 5th works.

Bullpen help is always welcome.

Possibly a RF, but it's not a huge concern. If there's a guy available for cheap, do it, but I think they can get by with Drew/Reddick. Crawfords the LF, when he comes back he's going to play, struggles or not. They didn't sign him to sit out. They'll sink or swim with him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: July is fast approaching:
    [QUOTE]Another thing to consider is Wheelers contract automatically kicks in for next year if he makes 65 appearances.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

After his DL stint, there's no chance this comes into play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I disagree on getting another starter.  The Sox have eight:  Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Wakefield, Miller, and Aceves.  Of those eight--

Beckett and Lester look pretty solid to me, even if Lester has been inconsistent.

Buchholz, now on the DL, has struggled a little, but is still good.

Lackey was so-so last year, about the way Beckett was in his first year.  This year has been horrible, but he had 3 good starts in April and 3 almost good starts after coming off the DL.  Wednesday's debacle was all about the rain and should be ignored.  He is servicable in my opinion.

Wake has been a godsend.  Four quality starts (to Buchholz's 6) out of 8 total starts (to Buchholz's 12).   Of the 50 pitchers in MLB with the most innings pitched this year, only two throw fewer pitches per inning than Wake's 14.64.  Plus he doesn't dawdle on the mound--the polar opposite of Clay Buchholz who looks tortured when pitching.    I'm guessing the fielders love it when Wake pitches. 

Miller could be ready to shine.  He's got the tools, but has had serious control issues in the past.  One good start so far. 

Aceves is the best choice to be long reliever, but he can start as well.  Not sure what the deal was with those five consecutive walks his last time out, but he can start. 

Of the nine upcoming road games, Beckett (assuming he gets over the flu bug which has lingered), Lester, Wake, and Miller will each pitch 2 games, and Lackey will pitch 1.  Not too shabby.  Hopefully Buchholz won't stay on the DL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Good posts, all.

I have a nagging sense of concern about Lackey, return of Clay, intestinal issue for Beckett.  Glad we have Miller.  Do not want to throw him to the wolves too often, too soon.  Need to keep building that confidence.

Sad that Cam's had such a hard time, injury last year, recovery this year.  A question, did him being a dirtdog and trying to come back too early last year hurt his recovery for this season?

I wonder, after leaving a village of runners on bas thelast two games, if that is a trend or just the reality of decent pitching covering itself ... If it is a trend, then what to do?

Thanks Al.  Good OP