July roster-good enough to make playoffs?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: July roster-good enough to make playoffs?

In Response to July roster-good enough to make playoffs?:
    Ellsbury RF Pedroia 2B Gonzalez 1B Ortiz DH Crawford LF Middlebrooks 3B Ross/Sweeney RF Saltalamacchia C Iglesias SS SR Lester Beckett Buchholz Matsuzaka Cook Bullpen Bard Doubront Aceves Melancon Morales Miller
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Think your pretty close......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Ellsbury RF Pedroia 2B Gonzalez 1B Ortiz DH Crawford LF Middlebrooks 3B Ross/Sweeney RF Saltalamacchia C Iglesias SS SR Lester Beckett Buchholz Matsuzaka Cook Bullpen Bard Doubront Aceves Melancon Morales Miller
    Posted by 2004Idiots
    I'd try to trade salty and miller for a decent bullpen arm and play Lavarnaway and Padilla instead. But I think your lineup and pitching staff could make a playoff run. Padilla isn't as bad as he looked yesterday. And a good reason to have Padilla on your staff is that he'll knock some people off the plate once in a while. I think the Sox staff needs that kind of toughness this year. No one in the starting rotation seems to have it. Oh and what would you with Youk? If you're trading him maybe we could get some good pitching prospects.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

As humorous as it is to think they can make the playoffs, I decided to check out the thread.  What a mistake.  You lost me at Crawford batting 5th

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Wow, I gotta get off this thread

Your best starter moved to the pen in favor of a minor leaguer and a dude coming off TJ Surgery?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Iggy just got his first extra base hit in over 50 at bats at AAA. Middlebrooks hasn't proven anything, Cook had a really bad year last year, Dice K may never be the same and he wasn't that good to begin with. Bucholz does not seem to be the same, Beckett seems to have lost 3 miles an hour off his fastball over night, Miller is horrible.

I love this team, I love every Red Sox team, but no that team above does not seem like a playoff team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In Response to Re: July roster-good enough to make playoffs?:
    Iggy just got his first extra base hit in over 50 at bats at AAA. Middlebrooks hasn't proven anything, Cook had a really bad year last year, Dice K may never be the same and he wasn't that good to begin with. Bucholz does not seem to be the same, Beckett seems to have lost 3 miles an hour off his fastball over night, Miller is horrible. I love this team, I love every Red Sox team, but no that team above does not seem like a playoff team.
    Posted by snakeoil123

Posts like this belong on the realistic thread....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

In response to "Re: July roster-good enough to make playoffs?":
    Iggy just got his first extra base hit in over 50 at bats at AAA. Middlebrooks hasn't proven anything, Cook had a really bad year last year, Dice K may never be the same and he wasn't that good to begin with. Bucholz does not seem to be the same, Beckett seems to have lost 3 miles an hour off his fastball over night, Miller is horrible. I love this team, I love every Red Sox team, but no that team above does not seem like a playoff team. Posted by snakeoil123
    Yes, yes, yes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Tazawa over Melancon, Padilla over Doubront, and Rich Hill over Miller in bullpen. Doubront in rotation with Cook possibly spelling Buchholtz, who goes to Pawtucket for rehab pitching practice and / or arm strengthening.

Lavarnway as catcher with Salty working in AAA. Aviles or Punto still @ ss since Iglesias still learning what a bat is for. Replace D-Mac with Linares as 5th outfielder  IF can get something for Byrd once Crawford & Ellsbury are back. ( and I'm pessimistic about both being healthy before mid-August, we appear snakebitten). Might be a trifle early for Middlebrooks , but unless Youk catches fire it is likely.
    Man, could I have been MORE wrong about M'brooks ? ( unless it's just a lucky streak ? )
    Perhaps that's why John Henry doesn't have me running things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Tazawa over Melancon, Padilla over Doubront, and Rich Hill over Miller in bullpen. Doubront in rotation with Cook possibly spelling Buchholtz, who goes to Pawtucket for rehab pitching practice and / or arm strengthening. Lavarnway as catcher with Salty working in AAA. Aviles or Punto still @ ss since Iglesias still learning what a bat is for. Replace D-Mac with Linares as 5th outfielder  IF can get something for Byrd once Crawford & Ellsbury are back. ( and I'm pessimistic about both being healthy before mid-August, we appear snakebitten). Might be a trifle early for Middlebrooks , but unless Youk catches fire it is likely. Man, could I have been MORE wrong about M'brooks ? ( unless it's just a lucky streak ? ) Perhaps that's why John Henry doesn't have me running things.
    Posted by jimedfred

you sent in your resume too?? I figured i could get the manager job since i could do a much better job than BV. leave clay in the game when hes getting hammered and take dubront out when he's rolling... what kind of downs syndrome moves are those? On top of that we'll play our hottest hitter every other day in favor of superstar jason repko and play an inept punto at SS over the better offensive & defensive SS aviles.

I'm trying to give you a chance BV but my patience is really wearing thin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

(Salty, Padilla, DMac, Thomas traded, in AAA, or cut. Miller never gets a look.)

C- Lava/Shopp
    1B- AGon
    2B- Pedey
    3B- Youk/Middlebrooks
    SS- Aviles/Punto
    LF- CC
    CF- Ellsbury
    RF- Ross/Sweeney
    DH- Ortiz

S1- Beckett
    S2- Lester
    S3- Buchholtz
    S4- Matsusaka
    S5- Doubront
    R1- (Bailey)/Bard
    R2- Aceves
    R3- Morales
    R4- R Hill
    R5- Melancon
    R6- Tazawa
    R7- Cook/Albers/Atchison

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In Response to Re: July roster-good enough to make playoffs? : you sent in your resume too?? I figured i could get the manager job since i could do a much better job than BV. leave clay in the game when hes getting hammered and take dubront out when he's rolling... what kind of downs syndrome moves are those? On top of that we'll play our hottest hitter every other day in favor of superstar jason repko and play an inept punto at SS over the better offensive & defensive SS aviles. I'm trying to give you a chance BV but my patience is really wearing thin.
    Posted by mef429

Mef, you seem to be a good guy, but I have to call you out on a couple of things.  I let the slur against Jews go by a couple of weeks ago.  I did find it offensive, though.  I almost put you on ignore, but for the most part I enjoy your posts so I let it slide.  Now you've thrown out the Down's Syndrome reference.  Does it not occur to you that maybe someone reading your posts could have a family member who is afflicted with same?  Not cool, man.  Please try to be a little more sensitive, okay?  Or, if you just don't care, let me know and I will hit the ignore button.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I hope this thread was made for sarcasm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Tazawa over Melancon, Padilla over Doubront, and Rich Hill over Miller in bullpen. Doubront in rotation with Cook possibly spelling Buchholtz, who goes to Pawtucket for rehab pitching practice and / or arm strengthening. Lavarnway as catcher with Salty working in AAA. Aviles or Punto still @ ss since Iglesias still learning what a bat is for. Replace D-Mac with Linares as 5th outfielder  IF can get something for Byrd once Crawford & Ellsbury are back. ( and I'm pessimistic about both being healthy before mid-August, we appear snakebitten). Might be a trifle early for Middlebrooks , but unless Youk catches fire it is likely. Man, could I have been MORE wrong about M'brooks ? ( unless it's just a lucky streak ? ) Perhaps that's why John Henry doesn't have me running things.
    Posted by jimedfred
    hey jimed, you didn't like middlebrooks huh? That must go into the you never know category.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

(Salty, Padilla, DMac, Thomas traded, in AAA, or cut. Miller never gets a look.) C- Lava/Shopp 1B- AGon 2B- Pedey 3B- Youk/Middlebrooks SS- Aviles/Punto LF- CC CF- Ellsbury RF- Ross/Sweeney DH- Ortiz S1- Beckett S2- Lester S3- Buchholtz S4- Matsusaka S5- Doubront R1- (Bailey)/ Bard R2- Aceves R3- Morales R4- R Hill R5- Melancon R6- Tazawa R7- Cook/Albers/Atchison
    Posted by moonslav59
    I think that team could beat the yankees. Maybe even the rangers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: July roster-good enough to make playoffs? : hey jimed, you didn't like middlebrooks huh? That must go into the you never know category.
    Posted by carnie

Not that I didn't like him, just looked at his batting eye numbers and figured he'd either never make it or at least need a full year OR MORE in Pawtucket.
    Now who cares if he never walks, or strikes out a ton ?
    He's hitting taters almost nightly.
    I give Youk about 3 weeks to get it together, else he rehabs somewhere and the Kid comes up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Maybe it's a sign of giving up on 2012 ( way too early ). But finding self imagining a dream infield of Mike Schmidt-like Middlebrooks, early Nomar-like Bogaerts @ ss, with Pedroia and Gonzo. Maybe 3 gold gloves and 110 + HR between them.

Could be the medication talking, that "Scottish ice water"  creeps up on me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I like it. I don't think Bogaerts is ready until 2014 at the earliest though. Anyway I just went and looked up the kid's numbers form last year and he did strike out a lot last year 113 times in 427 AB's. he did put up an .865 OPS at Portland before they moved him up to Pawtucket at the end of the year. He went .818 in Arizona last fall so he's doing something good I think with the bat most of the other times he swings. Suffice it to say I think your infield could be a good one. With Pedey at second that infield could be as good as the one Harry Frazee sold to the Yankees.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Posted by 2004Idiots

I could go with that for the most part. Would rather see Lavarnway catching. Would prefer Doubront starting, rather than Buchholz. Probably Bard or Aceves starting ahead of Cook . ( depending on how well Cook pitches in his upcoming stint ) Hill over Miller.  Tazawa in there somewhere.  Bailey should be back in the pen by then. Don't know if I would bat Crawford that high unless he shows that he deserves it. Aviles having a role.  The big question is : Will we be close enough in July to be able to make a run ?   By the way , you apparently traded Youkilis. Who did we get for him?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: July roster-good enough to make playoffs? : Mef, you seem to be a good guy, but I have to call you out on a couple of things.  I let the slur against Jews go by a couple of weeks ago.  I did find it offensive, though.  I almost put you on ignore, but for the most part I enjoy your posts so I let it slide.  Now you've thrown out the Down's Syndrome reference.  Does it not occur to you that maybe someone reading your posts could have a family member who is afflicted with same?  Not cool, man.  Please try to be a little more sensitive, okay?  Or, if you just don't care, let me know and I will hit the ignore button.
    Posted by joel49

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. Well , maybe except for the part about Mef being a good guy. He might be , but he has to display it a little better than he has.  So far , he comes across as a brash , immature, often insulting, young man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think this roster if they can get everyone back will be fine. I think what is really the most promising is that the Bard is going to BP and Matsusaka is coming back you move two of the starters into the bp and get Hill back you never have to worry about your bp giving up 14 runs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Maybe, maybe not. But no way is this team a title contender, status quo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Gosh I hope so!  I have 165 reasons (Monster Seats) to hope they are still in contention on 7/30.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to July roster-good enough to make playoffs? : Think your pretty close......
    Posted by donrd4

Pretty close with the roster? This team is one of the worst in baseball and you are talking about playoffs? They've given up 95 runs in 14 games, almost 7 per game.

Sections
Shortcuts