June the 6th 1944

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

June the 6th 1944

Hard to believe that it is 70 years ago today that the greatest armada ever gathered at one time hit the beaches of Normandy to start what was the beginning of the end to the war in Europe. Some of those guys were only 18 years old. My dad's bomb group had a mission that day. To all those WW2 veterans I send out my gratitude and deepest respect for what they endured that day. May God bless them all.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: June the 6th 1944

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hard to believe that it is 70 years ago today that the greatest armada ever gathered at one time hit the beaches of Normandy to start what was the beginning of the end to the war in Europe. Some of those guys were only 18 years old. My dad's bomb group had a mission that day. To all those WW2 veterans I send out my gratitude and deepest respect for what they endured that day. May God bless them all.

[/QUOTE]YES HAMMAH, TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY....... AS THE "BIG O" WAS SPEAKING THIS MORNING I COULDN'T HELP BUT WONDER WHAT OUR  WWII VETS WOULD BE THINKING ABOUT THIS  C I C AND HIS MANY CURIOUS ACTIONS OVER THE LAST 6 YEARS !!!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If you can't stick the the thread topic, shut up.

[/QUOTE]I am sticking with the thread.......  The WWII VET'S have the right to ask "that question".....  Matter a fact, all VET'S have that right !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]YES HAMMAH, TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY....... AS THE "BIG O" WAS SPEAKING THIS MORNING I COULDN'T HELP BUT WONDER WHAT OUR  WWII VETS WOULD BE THINKING ABOUT THIS  C I C AND HIS MANY CURIOUS ACTIONS OVER THE LAST 6 YEARS !!!

[/QUOTE]

More politics, huh, Bill?  I see you really are a slow learner.  Hammah made an excellent reference to the sacrifices people in The Greatest Generation made and you immediately managed to spin it around to be some backhanded criticism of the current administration.  Maybe THIS will be the straw that breaks the came's back.  We can only hope.  

My dad fought in the European theater and my step-father fought in the Pacific theater.  Good men, both of them. They're both gone now as are most of the people who fought in that war.  These are the people who "saved" our country and allowed it to be what it is. Unfortunately it has changed to be something very different from what was envisioned in 1947.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

More politics, huh, Bill?  I see you really are a slow learner.  Hammah made an excellent reference to the sacrifices people in The Greatest Generation made and you immediately managed to spin it around to be some backhanded criticism of the current administration.  Maybe THIS will be the straw that breaks the came's back.  We can only hope.  

My dad fought in the European theater and my step-father fought in the Pacific theater.  Good men, both of them. They're both gone now as are most of the people who fought in that war.  These are the people who "saved" our country and allowed it to be what it is. Unfortunately it has changed to be something very different from what was envisioned in 1947.

[/QUOTE]CONCUR ........  Our DAD's would be raising a curious eyebrow today , for sure !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]CONCUR ........  Our DAD's would be raising a curious eyebrow today , for sure !!!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you.  Now how about responding to my first paragraph?  The one where you spun the topic to be about the current administration.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let's not allow this excellent thread to be derailed.  Any further replies should not dignify any such attempts with so much as a single response.

This was the penultimate moment in our history for this greatest generation!  Thank you is the least I can say to all our fathers and grandfathers who were there, or anywhere "over there!"

Every year, I get more than choked up when discribing this moment in history to my students.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what actions are you referring to?

starting 2 senseless wars that have sent more American boys home in body bags than were sent home on 06-Jun-1944.  oh wait, that was the previous guy.

not to mention all the kids coming home without limbs.

thankfully in the last 6 years - we have ended 1 of those wars and are about to signoff of the other.

so please, tell me why our armed forces should be mad at commander in chief.  you know, the one that didn't look under his leather sofa in the oval office for WMD....i'm talking about the one that hunted down and authorized the kill of taliban leader.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

to the OP...those guys that participated in D-Day will forever be HEROES.  true heroes.  in every sense of the word.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's not allow this excellent thread to be derailed.  Any further replies should not dignify any such attempts with so much as a single response.

This was the penultimate moment in our history for this greatest generation!  Thank you is the least I can say to all our fathers and grandfathers who were there, or anywhere "over there!"

Every year, I get more than choked up when discribing this moment in history to my students.  

[/QUOTE]

This^^^^

(I've reported Bill's politicising post to the mods thread.  Now let's see if anything good comes of it.)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you.  Now how about responding to my first paragraph?  The one where you spun the topic to be about the current administration.  

[/QUOTE]By all means let me respond  (TAKE YOUR BAIT) ........   Starting with, what did I say wrong ???  Why does TRUTH & CONCERN set off your  defensive measures and your response is to try and "SHUT DOWN OPINIONS OF OTHERS"  ????   Today is a special day in HISTORY for all AMERICANS !!   Not a day to have the MOD's  carry out your desires & wishes !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This^^^^

(I've reported Bill's politicising post to the mods thread.  Now let's see if anything good comes of it.)

[/QUOTE]

Did the same S5.....enough is enough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]By all means let me respond  (TAKE YOUR BAIT) ........   Starting with, what did I say wrong ???  Why does TRUTH & CONCERN set off your  defensive measures and your response is to try and "SHUT DOWN OPINIONS OF OTHERS"  ????   Today is a special day in HISTORY for all AMERICANS !!   Not a day to have the MOD's  carry out your desires & wishes !!!

[/QUOTE]

YET YOU DIMINISH THE EVENTS OF 1944 TO TRY AND MAKE A POLITICAL STATEMENT ABOUT 2008-2014.

YOUR ACTIONS ARE COMPLETELY UN-AMERICAN AND YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. IF YOU HAVE EVER ACTUALLY WORN A UNIFORM YOU WOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO TRY AND POLITICIZE THE COURAGEOUS HEROES OF OMAHA AND NORMANDY.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I think it should be a prerequisite to graduate high school, get a drivers license, become a citizen or for anyone whining to just watch the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan". Can you just imagine the door dropping on those Higgins boats knowing what you where about to face. Those guys were the greatest generation for a reason.

We forget, too, that these guys weren't John Wayne; a lot of them were 19-21 years old, my sons' ages. They were kids, although they left their youth behind forever.

Most never talked about it. My Dad graduated high school a few days after D-Day  and immediately entered the Navy. His older brother was among those who landed in Normandy that day and survived. We never heard stories about the war until the final couple weeks of his life. Dad just wouldn't talk about it. Neither would my uncle.

Several years ago, one of my sons had a school assignment to interview a grandparent. One of the questions was the old standard, what did you dream about doing after high school. His reply shocked us. He said he had no dreams. He went on to explain that he knew he would be going to war, and that he did not expect to come home, and that most of the boys in his high school had the same expectation. Can you imagine going through your teenage years with that in the back of your mind?

As we lose more and more of them each year (the youngest are nearly 90 years old), we have to remember them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

YET YOU DIMINISH THE EVENTS OF 1944 TO TRY AND MAKE A POLITICAL STATEMENT ABOUT 2008-2014.

YOUR ACTIONS ARE COMPLETELY UN-AMERICAN AND YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. IF YOU HAVE EVER ACTUALLY WORN A UNIFORM YOU WOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO TRY AND POLITICIZE THE COURAGEOUS HEROES OF OMAHA AND NORMANDY.

[/QUOTE]Well, I guess that just about represents all of "BILL-806's  fan club........  I will now tell you who should be ASHAMED, and that would be the guy that just let the "FAB 5" out of GITMO !!! Yes, explain that to our brave MEN & WOMEN who have/now serving our Country and the VET's that have served in the past !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed; perfect response, and kudos to the OP

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This^^^^

[/QUOTE]

Did the same S5.....enough is enough.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Well, I guess that just about represents all of "BILL-806's  fan club........  I will now tell you who should be ASHAMED, and that would be the guy that just let the "FAB 5" out of GITMO !!! Yes, explain that to our brave MEN & WOMEN who have/now serving our Country and the VET's that have served in the past !!!

[/QUOTE]

1. he brought a boy back home

2.  ever here of a double agent?  i guarantee you at least 2 of the fab 5 will be dropping notes for the cause.

but that is probably over your head. 

also, this stuff happens all the time.  did you forget the cold war??? we used to swap with Soviet Union all the time.  but you know that...right???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it should be a prerequisite to graduate high school, get a drivers license, become a citizen or for anyone whining to just watch the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan". Can you just imagine the door dropping on those Higgins boats knowing what you where about to face. Those guys were the greatest generation for a reason.

We forget, too, that these guys weren't John Wayne; a lot of them were 19-21 years old, my sons' ages. They were kids, although they left their youth behind forever.

Most never talked about it. My Dad graduated high school a few days after D-Day  and immediately entered the Navy. His older brother was among those who landed in Normandy that day and survived. We never heard stories about the war until the final couple weeks of his life. Dad just wouldn't talk about it. Neither would my uncle.

Several years ago, one of my sons had a school assignment to interview a grandparent. One of the questions was the old standard, what did you dream about doing after high school. His reply shocked us. He said he had no dreams. He went on to explain that he knew he would be going to war, and that he did not expect to come home, and that most of the boys in his high school had the same expectation. Can you imagine going through your teenage years with that in the back of your mind?

As we lose more and more of them each year (the youngest are nearly 90 years old), we have to remember them.

[/QUOTE]Great response........  GOD SAVE THE USA  !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My father signed up on his 18th birthday and fought in the south pacific.  His two brothers also fought and thankfully they all came home.

I don't know where my uncles fought because they didn't talk about the war.  My dad didn't talk about it much either.

Those men are called the greates generation for a reason.  They saved the world. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY THREAD?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY THREAD?

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what happened.  It was gone for a minute, then it was back.  The good news is that it's back.