just 1 question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

just 1 question

does buchholz get paid by the hour

not good for the game

I could feel casual fans changing the channel

1st let me say while buchholz is one of the worse,

CC / yanks can be just as bad

the real question is

do we agree with

' As American life moves faster and faster, baseball must cater to its potential fans and speed up in turn.'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1216426-what-baseball-must-do-to-become-americas-pasttime-once-again

or just keep the flow of the game natural

was joe west right

when he called a 2010 series of Yankees-Red Sox games "a disgrace to baseball" after they each lasted in the ballpark of four hours.

Hampton Stevens of The Atlantic not only strongly agreed with West, but he pointed out that the league has the measures to fix this problem already on the books.

MLB Rule 8.04 sets a 12-second time limit between pitches when the bases are empty, with a penalty of a ball being called whenever a pitcher exceeds the limit. He goes on to say that the actual average time between pitches is 27 seconds.

truth is I'm not sure if we should care about the casual fan

but something inside  me says we should

if we do IMO this is a huge way to improve the flow of the game

not the length but the flow

then again since I was a kid we've heard about how slow BB is

and it's still here doing fine

next up is

taking on  the batters who take a lot longer stepping out of the box after each pitch

to do the old tighten the gloves and everything else routine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Re: just 1 question

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

not good for the game

the real question is

do we agree with

' As American life moves faster and faster, baseball must cater to its potential fans and speed up in turn.'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1216426-what-baseball-must-do-to-become-americas-pasttime-once-again

was joe west right

when he called a 2010 series of Yankees-Red Sox games "a disgrace to baseball" after they each lasted in the ballpark of four hours.

Hampton Stevens of The Atlantic not only strongly agreed with West, but he pointed out that the league has the measures to fix this problem already on the books.

MLB Rule 8.04 sets a 12-second time limit between pitches when the bases are empty, with a penalty of a ball being called whenever a pitcher exceeds the limit. He goes on to say that the actual average time between pitches is 27 seconds.

next up is

taking on  the batters who take a lot longer stepping out of the box after each pitch

Buchholz pace was painful without a doubt.  Unfortunately the rule you point out doesn't adress the problem last night, which was Clay's pace when there were runners on base and there were runners on base basically the whole game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

To boot, there was much talk about how Nieves and Farrell drilled him in ST and early season on picking up his pace.  he even acknowledged that speeding up made him pitch better; not over think, trust his pitches, repeat his delivery.   There was a clear corrollation, as stated by Clay himself, between the rythym and the success.   So, it is a psychological regression to revert to old bad habits.  Bad timing for the bad timing.        

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Buchholz pace was painful without a doubt.  Unfortunately the rule you point out doesn't adress the problem last night, which was Clay's pace when there were runners on base and there were runners on base basically the whole game.

while that's certainly true to a point

I'm thinking in the long run if pitchers get used to shorter times w/o men on base

it would / could translate to when there are runners on

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't think the issue is that baseball can be a slow game. I think the issue is that the game is getting slower and longer. I agree that some of the pitchers take a long time..but my real pet peeve is your next topic...lol. I can't stand it when the batter steps out of the box after every pitch to adjust batting gloves..or whatever else they are adjusting...especially when they haven't even take the bat off their shoulders. I think the rules about when a batter can call time out need to be tightened up as well.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Pitchers need to stay on the mound.

Batters need to stay in the box.

Simple.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Just wait till next year with plays being reviewed. That should be fun Yell

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

I am not sure about that.  It will keep the managers from spending a lot of time arguing.  I think it will be a wash.  As for the OP, I think the problems lies in batters getting out of the box all the time.  If the batter just stayed ready, the pitcher could throw sooner.  As it is right now, the catcher is not going to go through the signals until the batter is in the box again.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

not good for the game

the real question is

do we agree with

was joe west right

next up is

It's a real issue....a microcosm of the modern, effective-but-passionless obsession with "success" and "efficiency" at the cost of excitement.  The Yanks and the Sox are equally guilty of it.

Hand-on-heart, I can live with it the way it is but I believe it's putting off casual fans and, worse, young athletes due to the slow pace.  Not a great long-term strategy.

I'm not aware of Rule 8.04....enforce it!  A simple rule addition would be to not let a batter step out of the box between pitches unless there is a physical issue.

No real baseball fan wants to NFL-ise the game, but these are simple enforcements/changes that change nothing but the pace.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

I am not sure about that.  It will keep the managers from spending a lot of time arguing.  I think it will be a wash.  As for the OP, I think the problems lies in batters getting out of the box all the time.  If the batter just stayed ready, the pitcher could throw sooner.  As it is right now, the catcher is not going to go through the signals until the batter is in the box again.

I think we all are in general agreement about the issue (needless delays).  I don't want a "timeless" game like baseball turned into a game clock event like the NFL or NBA....but think there are loads of simple ways to speed up the game without putting a timeclock on the pitcher (though I could live with that if all else fails)....no stepping out of the box without a real reason....the first visit to the mound from the dugout requires a pitching change, only 1 pickoff attempt per batter, etc.  All reasonable, IMO.  All fair among teams.  All objective decisions.  No time clock issues.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

not good for the game

the real question is

do we agree with

was joe west right

next up is

GM Zac,

I like the game the way it is for the most part. Speeding it up a bit wouldn't hurt.

The casual fan will find fault for the sake of fault and never really learned the game.

Clay is slow with runners on but clearly controls the running game which I think is under rated.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Silly thread.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Silly thread.

IDK even though no one answered my question directly

'should BB cater to / care about the  casual fan'

I thought there were some pretty good all baseball responses

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Silly thread.

I suppose I could have started another

Fire Cherrington, bench Salty, trade Ellsbury, cut Drew, demote Middlebrooks, platoon Victorino, release Napoli, DFA Gomes, trade for Papelbon

thread but I thought the 2 U started were enough

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

CC and co have ~300,000 minutes in between their next pitch.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Pitchers need to stay on the mound.

Batters need to stay in the box.

Simple.

Only simple if the umps DO THEIR JOB.  Stop stepping out, playing with your gloves, and grabbing your nads!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to fizsh's comment:

I think we all are in general agreement about the issue (needless delays).  I don't want a "timeless" game like baseball turned into a game clock event like the NFL or NBA....but think there are loads of simple ways to speed up the game without putting a timeclock on the pitcher (though I could live with that if all else fails)....no stepping out of the box without a real reason....the first visit to the mound from the dugout requires a pitching change, only 1 pickoff attempt per batter, etc.  All reasonable, IMO.  All fair among teams.  All objective decisions.  No time clock issues.

I'm all for enforcing current rules more, mainly don't let the batter step out all the time, but I don't like these two suggestions.  You can't take away the option of the pitching coach coming to the mound to talk to the pitcher, that's a pretty big part of the game.   1 pickoff attempt per batter would be disastrous.  That means a runner on 1st can run on the pitchers first move after the 1 pickoff attempt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

self deleted

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

CC and co have ~300,000 minutes in between their next pitch.....

LOL good one

Re: Right now, who is your favorite Sox player to watch?

hitting:  big papi

pitching:  koji-san

fielding:  drew/pedroia turning the double plays

I agree here's an olive branch

let's be friends

Sections
Shortcuts