Just another whiny young ballplayer.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Just another whiny young ballplayer.......

His wins above replacement (WAR) last year was 5th best--tied with Pedroia--in the AL. 

MLB salaries have never been higher.  Ken Burns series on Baseball points out that before Curt Flood the average player made 7 times as much as the average fan.  After, it was 7 X 7.  But the series Baseball said that back in 1994.   Today it's probably 100 times as much.

But for the young guys like Machado with a lot of talent it can feel like indentured servitude.  Most players under 30 are underpaid and 30 and older are overpaid.  Something like that, anyway. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

His wins above replacement (WAR) last year was 5th best--tied with Pedroia--in the AL. 

MLB salaries have never been higher.  Ken Burns series on Baseball points out that before Curt Flood the average player made 7 times as much as the average fan.  After, it was 7 X 7.  But the series Baseball said that back in 1994.   Today it's probably 100 times as much.

But for the young guys like Machado with a lot of talent it can feel like indentured servitude.  Most players under 30 are underpaid and 30 and older are overpaid.  Something like that, anyway. 

Surely, though, he must have some inkling of how pre-arb salaries work...?

I guess I can see how it might seem unfair, but 500K+ is a nice chunk of change, and he'll soon be making A LOT more.  No reason to feel bad for this guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

flapjack, did I ever tell you about the two lions in the zoo? 

One day a young lion reports to the zoo for his first assignment.  In the back of the cage is an old lion who sleeps most of the day, but the young lion ignores him, paces up and down in the cage, and roars at the people visiting the zoo.  At the end of the day the zookeeper comes in and tosses a big hunk of meat over to the old lion, then gives the young lion a bunch of bananas. 

This goes on for a week.  Every day the young lions paces up and down, roars at the people, and puts on a great show while the old lion mostly sleeps in the back of the cage.  But every day the old lion gets the big hunk of meat, and the young lion the bananas.  Finally the young lion can't stand it anymore and engages the old lion in conversation.  He asks him why he is the one putting on the great show for the visitors--while the old lion just sleeps the day away--but the old lion is the one who gets the big hunk of meat while he (the young lion) just gets a bunch of bananas. 

To which the old lion responds, "son, there's nothing you can do about it.  The TO&E (table of organization and equipment) for this zoo only calls for one lion.  You're being carried as a monkey."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I would be disappointed if I was only getting paid $519,000 as well. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Just another whiny poster ...

Laughing

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

And as maxi said a lot get paid for what they used to be able to do.... his payday will come and at the end of his career he will be making more money with less skill and lower numbers... he will be over-paid at that point.

Actually, in Machado's case, because he broke into the majors so young, he is on track to hit free agency at just 26 years old unless he signs a long-term extension. Guys like Trout and Harper (and soon Bogaerts?) are in the same boat. They're not going to have to wait until their 30's for that huge payday like many players do.

Again, I feel no sympathy for these young guys who are earning near the league minimum now...they are going to get paid, and they are going to get paid a ton, sooner rather than later. If Cano could land a 10-year deal at 31, think what these kids could possibly get.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Machado actually was paid more than Trout after their 1st full seasons.  Trout was paid $510K after 179 gms played and Machado was paid $519K after 207 gms played.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

[QUOTE]

Surely, though, he must have some inkling of how pre-arb salaries work...?

I guess I can see how it might seem unfair, but 500K+ is a nice chunk of change, and he'll soon be making A LOT more.  No reason to feel bad for this guy.

[/QUOTE]

I never feel bad for MLB players. I feel bad for servicemen who come back from hell holes like Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanastan crippled physically as well as mentally. Screw these overpaid prima donnas. 

[/QUOTE]

I actually do feel kind of bad for A-Rod. Such a misunderstood and persecuted hero.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

(WAR) <FLUSH>

means abso nothing..one of the most idiotic metrics ever devised - almost as bad as fielding metrics

BTW

under 30 yr old players are making MILLIONS of DOLLARS a YEAR usually...they are not underpaid....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mize52's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Most players making the league minimum are not complaining. Only Machado is.

[/QUOTE]

1-He said he was disappointed.  I don't think there is anything inherent;y wrong with a disappointed person saying he is disappointed.

2-It is well within BA's best interest to extend him.  He is helping the team out by saying he wants to be extended.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

(WAR) <FLUSH>

means abso nothing..one of the most idiotic metrics ever devised - almost as bad as fielding metrics

BTW

under 30 yr old players are making MILLIONS of DOLLARS a YEAR usually...they are not underpaid....

[/QUOTE]

How is WAR "one of the most idiotic metrics ever devised"  seems like the baseball world is using it more and more and more every year.  And if you look at the WAR leaders it appears to be a pretty darn good measure of value and performance, Afterall it was Mike Trout who led all of baseball in WAR last year.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:

hill55 I still need your analysis on Mike Zunino please.

Seattle catcher Mike Zunino, the No. 3 pick in the 2012 draft, fell short of high expectations in 2013 after taking the fast track to the major leagues. The 22-year-old struggled with off-speed pitches while posting a .214/.290/.329/.620 line in 52 MLB games. Zunino has been praised for his leadership skills behind the plate but still had problems with passed balls.

However, the projections for Zunino remains fairly positive. Here are 2014 WAR projections from Steamer, Oliver and ZiPS, as well as Oliver's five-year WAR projections, for Zunino and Red Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski:

MZ S: 1.7, O: 2.6, Z: 1.7, O5:15.6

AJP S: 1.2, O: 2.1, Z: 2.1, O5: 4.0

Neither should make reservations for the 2014 All Star Game ... and of course Pierzynski probably will be retired in four years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

hill55 I still need your analysis on Mike Zunino please.

Seattle catcher Mike Zunino, the No. 3 pick in the 2012 draft, fell short of high expectations in 2013 after taking the fast track to the major leagues. The 22-year-old struggled with off-speed pitches while posting a .214/.290/.329/.620 line in 52 MLB games. Zunino has been praised for his leadership skills behind the plate but still had problems with passed balls.

However, the projections for Zunino remains fairly positive. Here are 2014 WAR projections from Steamer, Oliver and ZiPS, as well as Oliver's five-year WAR projections, for Zunino and Red Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski:

MZ S: 1.7, O: 2.6, Z: 1.7, O5:15.6

AJP S: 1.2, O: 2.1, Z: 2.1, O5: 4.0

Neither should make reservations for the 2014 All Star Game ... and of course Pierzynski probably will be retired in four years.

Thanks. He is my catcher on Yahoo so hitting is the big question.

I have catchers Wilin Rosario and Jason Castro in my 10-team mixed league.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Miguel Montero was available late in the draft, I missed him by a round. We have 16 teams in our leage, 9 BDC members. Would have loved to have you.

I try to limit myself to one fantasy league a year, although this year I'll have two with an online dynasty league with virtual strangers and a league of friends whom I'm rejoining following a two-year break. I skipped the auction in the online league by keeping all 30 players from last year's championship team. I have another two weeks until the live auction in the social league (which is entering its 24th season with three or four of its charter members).

I'll assume pike is not in your league.Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

(WAR) <FLUSH>

BTW

[/QUOTE]

How is WAR "one of the most idiotic metrics ever devised"  seems like the baseball world is using it more and more and more every year.  And if you look at the WAR leaders it appears to be a pretty darn good measure of value and performance, Afterall it was Mike Trout who led all of baseball in WAR last year.

[/QUOTE]

Probably because WAR shows that some player or players Geo hates are actually pretty valuable. Stephen Drew posted a pretty healthy WAR last season, but Geo knows in his heart (nay, takes it as a matter of dogma) that Drew is terrible, so therefore WAR must be stupid. I rather doubt his analysis goes much deeper than that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Machado gave an honest answer so I see nothing wrong with him saying he is disappointed.

If he keeps playing well like he is, then he will get his big payday.   Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts