Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For?

Why not do what Wakefield did and have a nice retirement? What is he waiting for?  All teams have reported.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For?

He is probably paroozing the photos of the other 29 teams wives and deciding where the most attractive place to play is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is a long year and if an injury occurs he has a shot.

ADG if you don't want to retire because you still love what you do would you retire just because some one else said you should?
    You may not be a full time guy but you could do it part time would you retire just because some one else said you should?

Please don't say baseball is different than real life. Since baseball is his real life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

He is still waiting for his agent to land the millions dollars contract offer that he needs to pay for "2 families" expenses.

You are talking about the best backup catcher in the history of baseball. There will be big contract offers coming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

varitek no longer has the same baseball abilities that he had ten years ago, but please stop knocking him for getting divorced and remarried as he is only like over 50% of us in this regard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

ADG should just wait for some news on Tek to surface instead of starting another nonsense thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For?:
    [QUOTE]varitek no longer has the same baseball abilities that he had ten years ago, but please stop knocking him for getting divorced and remarried as he is only like over 50% of us in this regard.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

What better stat to make a BB decision on?  When I start picking my fantasy team, I always start with Times Divorced.  For single players, I always start with Number of Cheerleaders Dated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]He is probably paroozing the photos of the other 29 teams wives and deciding where the most attractive place to play is.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

No evidence of Tek doing that before but there was with OC. Weren't you in favor of retaining OC? Try to be consistent and honest.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the man needs money apparently...back up coaching gigs that pay an easy mil or two can not be replicated in the real world

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Varitek probably wants to play some more, simple as that.  He's hurt that the Sox closed the door.  He will probably get the opportunity to hitch on with another team if he's willing to accept a minimal salary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

no one wants him...no one wants Wakefield...what part of last year did the fanboys of these two old warhorses not see?  a captain who couldnt even be bothered to tell his own battery mate to stop drinking and eating on the bench on off days???

enough of this nonsense....focus on the future

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]It is a long year and if an injury occurs he has a shot. ADG if you don't want to retire because you still love what you do would you retire just because some one else said you should? You may not be a full time guy but you could do it part time would you retire just because some one else said you should? Please don't say baseball is different than real life. Since baseball is his real life.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this post Jim.  People are assuming that he wants to keep playing because of the money.  Varitek should be financially set, even if he has two families to support, plus, he's not going to be offered very much if he does get a contract, so I can't see that it's about the money at all.  I think the guy just really loves playing baseball, and I can't fault him for that.  And he still does have something to bring to the table as a back up catcher.

That said, I hope that he does choose retirement over playing a year or two with another team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For? : What better stat to make a BB decision on?  When I start picking my fantasy team, I always start with Times Divorced.  For single players, I always start with Number of Cheerleaders Dated.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

LOL   My whole fantasy team philosophy centers around mustaches and goatees.  I would tell you my strategy, but then I'd have to shoot you, and I don't want to do that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Word is he is waiting for his name to not be on the front two pages of the Front Burner to retire.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For? : Thanks for this post Jim.  People are assuming that he wants to keep playing because of the money.  Varitek should be financially set, even if he has two families to support, plus, he's not going to be offered very much if he does get a contract, so I can't see that it's about the money at all.  I think the guy just really loves playing baseball, and I can't fault him for that.  And he still does have something to bring to the table as a back up catcher. That said, I hope that he does choose retirement over playing a year or two with another team. Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE] I don't think he wants to play for another team and I heard he has kept himself in shape this off-season. If something happens to Shopp or Salty, he could always get a call. If not, I'm guessing he'll announce his retirement later this spring. I also heard he was smart with his money and that's not an issue at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Is it possible that he is waiting awhile in respect for Wake?  Giving Wake his due praise for a good career, aritcles and memoiries to be written about him, etc.

Then after a week or two Varitek will anounce his. 

If they both retired the same day or with in hours of each other, neither would have gotten the recognition they deserved for the careers they had with the Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]no one wants him...no one wants Wakefield...what part of last year did the fanboys of these two old warhorses not see?  a captain who couldnt even be bothered to tell his own battery mate to stop drinking and eating on the bench on off days??? enough of this nonsense....focus on the future
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Your threads and posts have been 100% unadulterated nonsense since October. There was no beer in the dugout. Players have been eating food in the dugout for decades.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]no one wants him...no one wants Wakefield...what part of last year did the fanboys of these two old warhorses not see?  a captain who couldnt even be bothered to tell his own battery mate to stop drinking and eating on the bench on off days??? enough of this nonsense....focus on the future

As usual you go off on a tangent. It was about him not retiring and why. It was not about what you percieved as a "fan". Or about the eating.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Georom4---It could be a lot of reasons.  He may need the money having gone through what some said was a contentious divorce.  He may be waiting to see i the Red Sox buckle under and invite him back.  He may be hoping some team will suddenly come calling.  And he may simply be of a mind that he just doesn't want to hang them up.

You here all the time players say to writers....I'LL BE THE FIRST TO KNOW WHEN I'M THROUGH".  Except it never works that way; they are usually the last and some have to have the uniforms ripped off them before they get the message.  I'm just glad the Red Sox finally decided at long last that Varitek was through.  In my opinion it was three years too late.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For? : Thanks for this post Jim.  People are assuming that he wants to keep playing because of the money.  Varitek should be financially set, even if he has two families to support, plus, he's not going to be offered very much if he does get a contract, so I can't see that it's about the money at all.  I think the guy just really loves playing baseball, and I can't fault him for that.  And he still does have something to bring to the table as a back up catcher. That said, I hope that he does choose retirement over playing a year or two with another team.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Are you the same Kimmi who helped me with my Avatar?  If so, sorry you left Sawxheads but I do understand why.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For? : Georom4---It could be a lot of reasons.  He may need the money having gone through what some said was a contentious divorce.  He may be waiting to see i the Red Sox buckle under and invite him back.  He may be hoping some team will suddenly come calling.  And he may simply be of a mind that he just doesn't want to hang them up. You here all the time players say to writers....I'LL BE THE FIRST TO KNOW WHEN I'M THROUGH".  Except it never works that way; they are usually the last and some have to have the uniforms ripped off them before they get the message.  I'm just glad the Red Sox finally decided at long last that Varitek was through.  In my opinion it was three years too late.
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]

He wouldn't have been the player he was if he was just going to fade away.  I'd rather be surrounded by guys that'll go down fighting than ones that quit.

And it's not just BB.  There are a lot of old folk that don't necessarily want to quit working.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For? : He wouldn't have been the player he was if he was just going to fade away.  I'd rather be surrounded by guys that'll go down fighting than ones that quit. And it's not just BB.  There are a lot of old folk that don't necessarily want to quit working.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

If he wants to play that badly I hope some team signs him---perhaps in the NL.  I just think he had run his course in Boston.  Too bad Henry couldn't pay him a decent enough salary and make him a coach in the organization.  That's what he's going to be eventually doing anyway.  Why not start doing it now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For? : Are you the same Kimmi who helped me with my Avatar?  If so, sorry you left Sawxheads but I do understand why.

Hi Fred.   Yes, that would be me.

How's it going?   You should be elated now that Wakefield has retired, and Varitek is likely to follow.

Looking forward to the season?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just Asking, But What is Jason Varitek Waiting For? : If he wants to play that badly I hope some team signs him---perhaps in the NL.  I just think he had run his course in Boston.  Too bad Henry couldn't pay him a decent enough salary and make him a coach in the organization.  That's what he's going to be eventually doing anyway.  Why not start doing it now.

Tek would have to decide to retire before John Henry would make him an offer to coach.

Sections
Shortcuts