Just dreaming, but what if......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Just dreaming, but what if......

On December 5, 2007, the Marlins traded Miguel Cabrera and starting pitcher Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit Tigers for pitchers Andrew Miller, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio De La Cruz and Burke Badenhop, outfielder Cameron Maybin, and catcher Mike Rabelo.

Cabrera subsequently reached an agreement with the Tigers on an eight-year, $185.3 million contract extension.

My question is did the Red Sox at that time show any interest in obtaining Cabrera; did they have any talks with the Marlins or float any offers?

Just dreaming of course, but imagine what could have been had the Sox acquired him to play 1B and what he would have done playing in friendly Fenway.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Just dreaming, but what if......

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

He isn't even 30 yet.... Miggy rocks!

He is 30.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Last year Cabrera carried the Tigers down the stretch, he had a unbelievable Month of Sept. to get them into the Play-offs. Trout faded down the stretch, and that was for me the reason Cabrera should have won MVP. Not counting Triple Crown.

The best hitter in MLB. What he is doing, at this point is unbelievable. I think he only K'd over 100 times once in his career.
    To see him play in Fenway 81 games would be something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox offered Jake, Jed, Wake and Tek, but the Marlins said no.

Tongue Out

softy cried.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Trout
    Aug. Sept. Oct. .285 avg. not bad.  Sept/Oct. 9 rbi's
    Cabrera
    Aug. Sept. Oct. .345 avg.    Sept/Oct 30 rbi's MVP numbers.
    If he had the speed of Trout, that .400 season avg. would not surprise me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Cabrera was also willing to move to 3rd so that the Tigers can sign Fielder who I still do not believe is a vegetarian.     LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Silverman adds that the Red Sox won't go nuts trying to replace Lowell with a big name if things don't work out. They figure that if Kevin Youkilis can win a Gold Glove at first, he might be adequate at third base. They peeked their head in on Miguel Cabrera and balked at the price of Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Buchholz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

My question is did the Red Sox at that time show any interest in obtaining Cabrera; did they have any talks with the Marlins or float any offers?

Just dreaming of course, but imagine what could have been had the Sox acquired him to play 1B and what he would have done playing in friendly Fenway.

ummm....not a chance.  they were coming off of a WS title and had a guy named Youkilis coming off a gold glove year at 1b. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

What if the Yankees got him?:

Joe Girardi managed him with the Marlins and speaks highly of him. The Yanks have already touched base about Cabrera with the Fish. It sounds like the Yankees will trade Melky Cabrera, but are very reluctant to trade Joba ChamberlainPhil Hughes, or Ian Kennedy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/157798-detroit-tigers-is-miguel-cabrera-heading-to-the-boston-red-sox

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The clubhouse parties would have been more lively with a more experienced alcoholic on board. Along with Beckett and Lackey the drinking would have gone well into the early morning hours.

His impact on the team's position in the standings would be minimal...notice how well the Yankees do when A-Clod is out of their lineup.See how well the Angels are doing with Albert Pujols....big money players are not the answer. Hard working players are a better remedy for a crappy team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

What's he got like a .328 Lifetime avg. Imagine if he didn't drink. He doesn't anymore, worked hard at it too. Good for him. Sorry .320 Lifetime avg.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He's also entering a Rare Elite Company of 10 straight years of 100 RBI's.
    Gehrig, Foxx, and Simmons.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

How many World Series have the Tigers won with Cabrera?

How many have they played in?

The only player on that team I would really want of I was a GM....Verlander. You can keep Fat Fielder and Chubby Cabrera.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Cabrera was also willing to move to 3rd so that the Tigers can sign Fielder who I still do not believe is a vegetarian.     LOL

Ice-Cream, vegetarianism is tricky.  Without satisfying lean proteins like meat and fish, many vegetarians, especially those who require a lot of food, end up packing on pounds with an over-reliance on massive amounts of carbohydrates.  I am betting Prince puts down a loaf of bread with dinner and chases it with a mound of rice.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

How many World Series have the Tigers won with Cabrera?

How many have they played in?

The only player on that team I would really want of I was a GM....Verlander. You can keep Fat Fielder and Chubby Cabrera.

You must think Babe Ruth was a bum too. Intresting you take a guy that plays every 5 days, over the best hitter in baseball right now.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Anybody ever win back to back Triple Crowns?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Secrateriat? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Silverman adds that the Red Sox won't go nuts trying to replace Lowell with a big name if things don't work out. They figure that if Kevin Youkilis can win a Gold Glove at first, he might be adequate at third base. They peeked their head in on Miguel Cabrera and balked at the price of Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Buchholz.

The link:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/11/more-on-mike-lo.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

That Bleacher Report columnist suggested a Red Sox offer headed by prospects Lars Anderson and Michael Bowden.

Neither Anderson nor Bowden is a major leaguer four years later.

The premise of the April 2009 column seemed to be that the Tigers might be going nowhere while the Red Sox were perennial contenders. In the four years since that column was published, the Tigers have won 15 postseason games and the Red Sox zero.

Sections
Shortcuts