Just fantasizing, but wait 'til next year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Just fantasizing, but wait 'til next year

While sitting on the couch watching last night's game I couldn't help but imagine what next year's starting lineup might look like on opening day, subject to the absence of any trades for position players.

Here are a few thoughts to consider, per Abbott & Costello's famous routine, 'Who's on first?'  We've all seen what Napoli brings to the table both offensively and defensively.  But is there any chance that he might be platooned with Craig, or for that matter loose his job altogether?

I think the general consensus is that Pedroia is a lock at 2B.

So who will be Pedey's partner at SS, Holt? Bogearts? Betts? Marrero?

And the question looms just as large at 3B, Middlebrooks? Holt? Bogearts? Cecchini?

And don't allow anyone to convince you that Vazquez has a lock on the starting catcher's job.  Swihart and Butler will be chomping at the bit in Spring Training.

The most tantalizing question of all, however, will be who makes up the outfield trio. Candidates in alphabetical order:

Betts, Bradley Jr., Brentz, Castillo, Cecchini, Cespedes, Craig, Hassan, Holt, Nava, Victorino.

And quite naturally, Big Papi is a lock as DH.

Which brings us to pitching  which is way, way beyond my pay grade, so I won't even go there.

But personally, after the desultory season just experienced, I'd be in favor of just foregoing the Fall and Winter months and giving up Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve, and just fast forward to Spring Training to witness the birth of a new and exciting edition of what's to come, (hopefully).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Just fantasizing, but wait 'til next year

In response to dustcover's comment:

While sitting on the couch watching last night's game I couldn't help but imagine what next year's starting lineup might look like on opening day, subject to the absence of any trades for position players.

Here are a few thoughts to consider, per Abbott & Costello's famous routine, 'Who's on first?'  We've all seen what Napoli brings to the table both offensively and defensively.  But is there any chance that he might be platooned with Craig, or for that matter loose his job altogether?

And the question looms just as large at 3B, Middlebrooks? Holt? Bogearts? Cecchini?

And don't allow anyone to convince you that Vazquez has a lock on the starting catcher's job.  Swihart and Butler will be chomping at the bit in Spring Training.

The most tantalizing question of all, however, will be who makes up the outfield trio. Candidates in alphabetical order:

Betts, Bradley Jr., Brentz, Castillo, Cecchini, Cespedes, Craig, Hassan, Holt, Nava, Victorino.

Which brings us to pitching  which is way, way beyond my pay grade, so I won't even go there.

But personally, after the desultory season just experienced, I'd be in favor of just foregoing the Fall and Winter months and giving up Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve, and just fast forward to Spring Training to witness the birth of a new and exciting edition of what's to come, (hopefully).

I was thinking of a SOX outfield of CES-LF, Betts or Castillo-CF, and Stanton-RF. i had completely forgotten about INJURINO. Out of sight, out of mind. So here's the multi-million dollar question; if the SOX land Stanton, what to do about Shane? Does Shane become a 13 million dollar bench player? I don't see the SOX trading him without eating half his remaining contract. I do believe the SOX will make a serious attempt to land Stanton. Oh, well, I'm sure they'll figure something out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I like Injurino, but I'd like him even more if he retired at the end of this season. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

I was thinking of a SOX outfield of CES-LF, Betts or Castillo-CF, and Stanton-RF. i had completely forgotten about INJURINO. Out of sight, out of mind. So here's the multi-million dollar question; if the SOX land Stanton, what to do about Shane? Does Shane become a 13 million dollar bench player? I don't see the SOX trading him without eating half his remaining contract. I do believe the SOX will make a serious attempt to land Stanton. Oh, well, I'm sure they'll figure something out.

I'd be surprised if Victorino is on the roster come springtime-in-Ft Myers. The line-up will consist (alphabetically) of Betts, Castillo, Cespedes, Holt, Ortiz and Pedroia. You can almost add Vazquez to that group, but not quite. What position 4 of that group play (on opening day) is what's debatable. Stanton is probably a pipe dream. But even without him, there aren't many regular spots to think about.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There's a poster here with the screen name of jasko who has presented some pretty convincing points on why the Marlins will not be trading Stanton this offseason. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

C- Vazquez

1B - Napoli

2B - Pedroia

SS - Bogaerts

3B - Holt (holding the fort for Cecchini or Coyle, like Pierzynski did this year )

LF - Cespedes

CF - Betts

RF - Castillo

DH - Ortiz

Bench: Craig, Bradley, utility infielder (Herrera? Weeks?), backup catcher (Ross? Hundley? Laird? Mathis?)

That's what we have with the current crop of players, and I am not sure how Victorino fits in just yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to notin's comment:

C- Vazquez

1B - Napoli

2B - Pedroia

SS - Bogaerts

3B - Holt (holding the fort for Cecchini or Coyle, like Pierzynski did this year )

LF - Cespedes

CF - Betts

RF - Castillo

DH - Ortiz

Bench: Craig, Bradley, utility infielder (Herrera? Weeks?), backup catcher (Ross? Hundley? Laird? Mathis?)

That's what we have with the current crop of players, and I am not sure how Victorino fits in just yet.

How about pitching?...Workman and Webster in rotation? lester back?...run production?....wait till 2016, perhaps

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Betts is the only position player I hope remains-to me he's a lock.

However the board has spoken and the Board seems to be in favor of bringing in Stanton and they are willing to extend big time with JH wallet. I will give Xander, Owens or Kelly, either Castillo or Cespy to get him. If that's all it takes I would do it in a heartbeat.

How about Hamels--would you do Buch straight up(especially if he finishes up the season the way he pitched today). Philly gets a 2 or 3 and saves some money.

Look at Big Game James or Lester for FA signees.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illinisoxfan. Show Illinisoxfan's posts

1.  Holt is having a nice year, but he is a utility player at best next year, not a starter.

2.  Marrero is hitting in the low .200s and needs a full year at AAA before he is even considered for the majors.

3.  Bogaerts will be the SS next year but he needs to improve in all areas to keep it.

4.  Middlebrooks will NOT be the 3B.

5.  Butler has no chance of being the starting catcher.  Swihart is going to be a star but needs at least a half of season at AAA.

6. JBJ's time is done here as a starter. He cannot hit major league pitching.

7. Nava is probably gone after this year.

8.  Brentz is a AAAA player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We should not talk optimistically about next year while mentioning most of the same players who have been a part of this season's failure. Improvement is needed.

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Stanton is a dream and will not happen. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

C- Vazquez

1B - Napoli

2B - Pedroia

SS - Bogaerts

LF - Cespedes

CF - Betts

RF - Castillo

DH - Ortiz

How about pitching?...Workman and Webster in rotation? lester back?...run production?....wait till 2016, perhaps

Pitching is trickier, as the Sox need to fill the top 2 spots in the rotation.  I expect Buchholz, Kelly and De La Rosa to handle the other 3 spots.

The bullpen is also already mostly here.  I expect Uehara to return, along with Tazawa, Mujica, Webster, and possibly Layne.  Andrew Miller could return, and remains more likely to do so than Lester.  Also I figure the Sox to move Middlebrooks for someone like Brian Duensing.

Those top two starting slots are going to be tough to predict.  I don't expect Scherzer or Lester in Boston, although Lester pretty much said he wants to come back and will leave money on the table.  (Scherzer won't.)  James Shields remains a good free agent possibility.  Cole Hamels  is mentioned a lot.  And the Reds figure to make Mat Latos and Mike Leake available, as both enter the last year of their deals, and are more expendable then fellow potential FA Johnny Cueto.  (Allen Craig for Mike Leake makes a ton of sense for both teams.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTS. Show BostonTS's posts

next year is entirely dependent now on a couple of big signings - Lester or another anchor in the rotation, maybe a trade and long term signing of one more bat. 

I hate to sound like Softy but our lineup needs more bop next year, and it's unrealistic to count on Ortiz to be even as good as this year. 

I'm encouraged somewhat that the front office seems to be willing to write a couple of significant checks - even if they have some odd ways of determining who is worth the long term deals. I don't care as long as they pony up. In my mind that's going to be the key. 

With a couple more key adds, the current players will slot into their roles nicely and we should have a much better season from a W/L perspective. we'll see. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

next year is entirely dependent now on a couple of big signings - Lester or another anchor in the rotation, maybe a trade and long term signing of one more bat. 

I hate to sound like Softy but our lineup needs more bop next year, and it's unrealistic to count on Ortiz to be even as good as this year. 

I'm encouraged somewhat that the front office seems to be willing to write a couple of significant checks - even if they have some odd ways of determining who is worth the long term deals. I don't care as long as they pony up. In my mind that's going to be the key. 

With a couple more key adds, the current players will slot into their roles nicely and we should have a much better season from a W/L perspective. we'll see. 

Low OBP's produce few runs and low win totals.  YES, we need a more consistent slugger to help Papi in the middle of the lineup.  Ces is not the answer in my opinion unless he improves, although he plays good defense and has a strong arm Betts and Castillo would need to produce above average OBP's to make that OF more productive.  I really hope the FO doesn't make the same mistake as this season fielding too many guys who struggle to reach base.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Stanton is a dream and will not happen. 

This conversation will take place in the very near future:

Reporter: "So Larry, how did you end up obtaining Stanton?"

Lucchino: "I offered them a deal they couldn't refuse. You see, the Miami owner has this horse that he really loves."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Too bad the Marlins lost Fernandez early in season, they would be in hunt for Play-off, maybe even Division. That's why cant see them dealing Stanton in Off-Season. More like a Trade deadline deal to me, if they are out of it by that time next year. Stanton will only have a Year and half of team control, and with other teams looking for a stud, he should bring in a haul at that time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

There is too much chatter about Stanton being the next target on the Sox radar for it not to be true. They could put an impressive package together to where the Marlins would be foolish not to make  the trade. I think the Sox are going to see what Pedey will fetch on the open market, just a hunch! Betts, Castillo and Weeks are all second basemen, and the Sox minor league teams are brimming with second base talent so something has to give. Of the available Starting pitchers on the FA or trade market 4 of them are really talented Sale, Hamels,  Lester, and Shields. I would add in Price but I don't see he and Papi becoming teammates anytime in the near future, the Sox could make a run at Scherzer though! If they decide too save money then the starting pitching could consist of Kelly, Buchholz, Ranaudo,Webster, Barnes, Owens, RDLR, Brian Johnson, Hembree, Rodriguez, Wright or Escobar. All of which are either ready to shine on the big stage or are darn close to it. The catching department is an interesting one because they have David Ross and he's a great handler of pitchers, but they also have several good young catchers Vasquez, Swihart, Butler, and some guys down lower in the system who have shown that they have skills. However it turns out the makeover will be completed by the end of spring training...Oh to be a fly on the wall during the winter meetings!

Sportsbozo1

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illinisoxfan. Show Illinisoxfan's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Line-Up

*1. Holt L 3B
    2. Pedroia R 2B
    3. Ortiz L DH
    4. Cespedes R RF
    5. Napoli R 1B
    6. Craig R LF
    7. Castillo R CF
    8. Boggarts R SS
    9. Vasquez R C
    Rotation

*1. Scherzer R 26X6 (Lester?)
    *2. Latos R Trade (Sale?  Hammels?)
    3. Kelly R
    *4. De La Rosa R tryout
    *5. Owens L tryout

Pen

*1. Uehara RH Set Up Resign
    *2. Breslow LH Set Up
    3. Tazawa RH Short
    4. Workman RH Long
    *5. OPEN LH Specialist
    *6. Badenhop RH Short
    *7. OPEN 

Bench

1. Swihart S C
    2. Betts R Utility
    *3. OPEN
    *4. OPEN

* = Question Marks/Concerns/TBD/Contingent Upons/ETC

Swihart is not going to be a reserve.  He will be starting for Pawtucket if not traded for stud OF or pitcher.  Breslow will not be back. Even Tommy Layne completely out pitched him.  Holt is a nice utility guy but not a starter.  Betts will not be on the bench.  What happened to Buchholz and Victorino?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Why the red sox rush swihart up to sit the bench?

thats just bananas

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Betts is the only position player I hope remains-to me he's a lock.

However the board has spoken and the Board seems to be in favor of bringing in Stanton and they are willing to extend big time with JH wallet. I will give Xander, Owens or Kelly, either Castillo or Cespy to get him. If that's all it takes I would do it in a heartbeat.

How about Hamels--would you do Buch straight up(especially if he finishes up the season the way he pitched today). Philly gets a 2 or 3 and saves some money.

Look at Big Game James or Lester for FA signees.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this.  You were doing so well before that trainwreck addition....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Breslow has a $4mill option.  A middling LHRP shouldn't get $4mill, and the Sox have other options.  Doubtful he returns...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the Sox may make a push for Stanton, we have too many prospects and two many duplicate pieces not to at least see if we can find an offer they like.

I see Castillo has been anointed for an OF spot by many.....I for one would like to see him play once at least. Spring Training will be very interesting next year as I think there is opportunity for a young guy or two to win a job instead of doing that AAA year. That is unless the Sox are active in the Free Agent market.

I really think a resign Lester movement needs to get started....he wants to play here....he is the best big game pitcher on the market.....and if they resign him the Cespedes trade becomes one of the all time steals. I know the Sox are wary of the Over 30 LT contracts, but right now that is what top pitchers get...Lester is the only one you might get a slight discount on. Yes, he will cost them more now then if they would have given him a higher off before they traded him, but Cespedes makes up for that difference.

Sections
Shortcuts