Just for fun: What's your alternative team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Just for fun: What's your alternative team?

Many people have an alternative team they like.  Generally for us, in the NL where they can't compete generally.  Who is yours?

Mine is the Braves.  I lived 8 years in Atlanta and got to see the last few years of the 3 pitching gods.  I loved it, but I was one of those a**h***s rooting for the Sox once interleague started and I could see them play without a plane ticket, or a trip to grandma's house Laughing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Just for fun: What's your alternative team?

I don't really have an "N.L." team...but I do normally cheer for a different team every year for whatever reason.  This year back in March I picked the Brewers to be my surprise team to go to the world series.  I think they have a shot too! of course Philadelphia may be a huge road block, but I think a Sox/Brewers series would be exciting. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from norm9340. Show norm9340's posts

In Response to Just for fun: What's your alternative team?:
    [QUOTE]Many people have an alternative team they like.  Generally for us, in the NL where they can't compete generally.  Who is yours? Mine is the Braves.  I lived 8 years in Atlanta and got to see the last few years of the 3 pitching gods.  I loved it, but I was one of those a**h***s rooting for the Sox once interleague started and I could see them play without a plane ticket, or a trip to grandma's house .
    Posted by HankukSox[/QUOTE]

I have two...both NL teams... I was a Braves fan before they left Boston and still watch them occasionally with some interest. I have lived in the Milwaukee area for the last 23 years so I'll also watch what the Brewers are doing...My wife is a dye-in-the wool Brewers fan.. I remain loyal to my roots..born in Grafton MA, raised in Sutton, MA...My new England teams are what I follow... Red Sox, Pats, Celts, Bruins, and Holy Cross College

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

i don't have an ALTERNATIVE TEAM, but i'm definitely a fan of ALTERNATIVE MUSIC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

The Patriots, then Celtics, then Bruins.

Yup.  That's it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Mine used to be Houston Astros cuz I followed Jeff Bagwell alot where he live about 5 minutes from my hometown.  Played ball against him alot during young childhood life.

Since he retired, I dont follow that team anymore.  I just root for a team from either league where they never won a world series title such as Texas or Arizona if Boston is done for the year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I saw a picture of this T-shirt somewhere that says "I'm a Red Sox fan.  My second favorite team is whichever beats the Yankees."  My alternative team..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

#1 Red Sox
    #2 Anyone playing the Yankees

I don't have, nor do I root for any other team..I love baseball and will watch other games, but have no other team i genuinely root for..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Just for fun: What's your alternative team?:
    [QUOTE]Many people have an alternative team they like.  Generally for us, in the NL where they can't compete generally.  Who is yours? Mine is the Braves.  I lived 8 years in Atlanta and got to see the last few years of the 3 pitching gods.  I loved it, but I was one of those a**h***s rooting for the Sox once interleague started and I could see them play without a plane ticket, or a trip to grandma's house .
    Posted by HankukSox[/QUOTE]

The Patriots.  Then the Celtics.  Then the Bruins...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I enjoy watching the Phillies. Love the way they play the game. Some of their fans can rival ours in terms of insanity. I have a friend who is a Phillies fan and he thinks Charlie Manuel should be fired yesterday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I still have a connection to the Braves...that was my dad's team when he was a a youngster the Boston Braves, Warrnen Spaun was his favorite cause he was a lefty pitcher too...So I root for the Sox, the Braves and anyteam that plays the Yankees!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Mrs. Space's fam is from SF.  All big time Giants fans.  been out to Pac Bell, err, AT&T a bunch.  Best ballpark in America not located on Yawkey Way.  So, I'm SF Giants all day.  Even have some gear, though it bever makes it out from behind Sox jerseys/hats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The San Diego Padres (behind my favorite team, the Seattle Mariners).

I have great respect for the Red Sox and their front office, but I stop short of calling myself a Red Sox fan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Just for fun: What's your alternative team?:
    [QUOTE]The San Diego Padres (behind my favorite team, the Seattle Mariners). I have great respect for the Red Sox and their front office, but I stop short of calling myself a Red Sox fan.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

After 95' I tried to switch my alliegence to the M's, it lasted all of 1 pitch, the first time the Sox played the M's in 96 at the kingdome. I would say that in the AL if the sox don't win it I'd pull for the M's and might even pull form them if they played the Braves...I'd have to wait until the first pitch and see if my heart overrules my head...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

the Cards and Reds...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

My alternative team is anyone who plays the Yankees

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Gotta say the Dodgers.

Especially after watching them - from a distance - during the 1960s - Drysdale, Koufax, Maury Wills. And the 1965 World Series.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]I still have a connection to the Braves...that was my dad's team when he was a a youngster the Boston Braves, Warrnen Spaun was his favorite cause he was a lefty pitcher too...So I root for the Sox, the Braves and anyteam that plays the Yankees!
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Like your dad, I too was a fan of the old Boston Braves.  I can still remember when the Providence Journal would bus all of us paperboys (Knot-Hole Gang) to games at Braves Field. 

Seems like just yesterday that we rooted for Earl Torgeson, Del Crandall, Sibbi Sisti, (old friend) Gene Mauch, Pete Reiser, and of course, Spahn & Sain.  And lest we not forget one of my all-time favorites, *Max Surkont. And a very young Johnny Antonelli (on the roster at 18 years-old) who had one of the all-time smoothest, most fluid deliveries of any pitcher I've ever seen, perhaps excluding Tom Seaver. 

And speaking of fluidity, Eddie Stanky and Alvin Dark could turn a double play like 'no man's tomorrow'.  And does anyone remember that the late, great Pirates manager, Danny Murtaugh was on the Braves roster back in the day.

And speaking of the Pirates, they had a left-fielder who averaged 42 homers a season over a six-year span from '46 through '52, and although we were all Braves fans, whenever Ralph Kiner came to bat there was that anticipatory expectation of a long ball. 

So yes, if I had to root for a team other than the Sox (heaven forbid), it would have to be the Braves.

*Max was born in Central Falls and for years owned Surkont's Cafe in Pawtucket.  In 1953, Max pitched eight consecutive strikeouts against the Cinncinnati Reds, a league record which was later surpassed by Tom Seaver.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]The San Diego Padres (behind my favorite team, the Seattle Mariners). I have great respect for the Red Sox and their front office, but I stop short of calling myself a Red Sox fan.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

aw that's too bad. you're missing out on a lot of fun.....like last nite...although, I had a soft spot in my heart for the M's when jr was playing....also, still love Ichiro!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just for fun: What's your alternative team? : aw that's too bad. you're missing out on a lot of fun.....like last nite...although, I had a soft spot in my heart for the M's when jr was playing....also, still love Ichiro!
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]
    The Mariners had their own fun last night:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_31_anamlb_seamlb_1&highlight_content_id=18679445&c_id=sea

After a 17-game losing streak in July, Seattle posted a modest 13-15 record in August with all but three games against teams currently with winning records, including the Red Sox, Rangers, Rays, Blue Jays and Indians. The Mariners played most of the month with a 25-man roster that included 12 rookies. For the month, five rookies -- Mike Carp, Dustin Ackley, Kyle Seager, Casper Wells and Trayvon Robinson -- accounted for 60 of Seattle's 121 runs, 15 of the 22 homeruns, and 63 of the 113 RBI. Felix Hernandez is backed in the starting rotation by two 22-year-old rookies: Michael Pineda (25 GS, 3.71 ERA, .209 BAA) and Blake Beavan (8 QS in 10 GS).

The Mariners have a long ways to go, but it was a fun month.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

[QUOTE]I don't really have an "N.L." team...but I do normally cheer for a different team every year for whatever reason.  This year back in March I picked the Brewers to be my surprise team to go to the world series.  I think they have a shot too! of course Philadelphia may be a huge road block, but I think a Sox/Brewers series would be exciting. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
    I do the same thing unfortunately i chose the Reds this year lmfao

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

I half heartedly followed the Dodgers in the early 80s when I moved to So Cal, but since McCourt has ruined them I lost complete interest.

Some of you old guys might remember the Braves and the Red Sox used to play a mid-season Jimmy Fund game every year until somewhere in the 70s. When I was a kid, I used to like seeing Joe Adcock, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Hammerin' Hank, etc. The Braves moved when I was very young and I was admonished by my dad that "We are Red Sox fans in this house", so I always put the Sox first, but I secretly rooted for the Braves (the name of my Little League team BTW) as my 2nd choice all these years. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

The Sed Rox

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]i don't have an ALTERNATIVE TEAM, but i'm definitely a fan of ALTERNATIVE MUSIC.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

Nine Inch Nails

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]Mrs. Space's fam is from SF.  All big time Giants fans.  been out to Pac Bell, err, AT&T a bunch.  Best ballpark in America not located on Yawkey Way.  So, I'm SF Giants all day.  Even have some gear, though it bever makes it out from behind Sox jerseys/hats.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    My dad was a Giant fan, loved Willie Mays but I stated following baseball in 1960 so gotta love the Pirates &  Bill Maz