Just in: NO HOF this year for Bonds, Clemens, Sosa

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

Re: Just in: NO HOF this year for Bonds, Clemens, Sosa

Disagree; I also hope Morris & Biggio get in next yr.

[/QUOTE]

Gonna be tough with Maddux, Glavine, Frank Thomas and Jeff Kent making their first appearance on the ballot.

Morris is probably going to hope the Veteran's Committee votes him in before he dies.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

We all have our opinions these are mine.

Rose was the best pure hitter I ever saw.

Sandy Koufax the most dominant pitcher that I've ever seen.

If I had to pick one pitcher in his prime to win one game it  would be Koufax. 

So you are saying you take Koufax over Sutton and who is better has little to do with career totals, since Sutton has almost twice as many wins as Koufax and about 1200 more K's. Thats good to hear.

The best contact hitter, pure hitter or average hitter I ever saw was Tony Gwynn. If my life depended on getting a hit I would let Gwynn hit for me. I would not even put Rose in my top 5 pure hitters I saw. But hey, thats just me. The best overall hitter I saw was Barry Bonds.

Never saw Koufax, but I take Pedro over anybody who I ever saw. And would take Pedro to win a game for me.

We all have opinions and it was nice hearing yours.

Sutton and Koufax don't belong in the same conversation.

Koufax won the Cy Young in 63, 64 and 65 by unanimous votes and that's when there was just  one Cy Young awarded to one pitcher for both leagues.

How many pitchers can you name who won the Cy Young with unanimous votes? And for one Cy Young for both leagues, he did it three times.

That's how good he was.

Each time he won the Cy Young he did so by leading both leagues in wins, Ks and ERA, the pitcher's triple crown.

Koufax and Nolan Ryan are the only two pitchers inducted into the hall that had more strikeouts than innings pitched.

He was an MVP and twice WS MVP, 4 no hitters.

Don Sutton? Talk to any old Dodger fans about that choice. I'd take Tommy John over Don Sutton or Don Drysdale..

The Yankees battered Sutton in the 78 series.

I'm a life long Yankee fan, Mickey Mantle was my favorite. The Yankees won the WS in 61 and 62, the Dodgers behind Koufax swept the Yankees in 1963, he was unhittable, he beat Whitey Ford the first game and struck out 15 Yankees, beat Ford again in game 4 to complete the sweep.

Bonds? Mr. Potato head? The juicer?

He cheated and he still couldn't get 3000 hits. Rose finished with 4256.

Juice aside Bonds was a great player but he wasn't a better hitter than Rose.

Rose used the entire park, he went with the pitch, he didn't pull it, he took whatever the pitcher gave him, that's why he's the all-time hit leader.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

So you are saying you take Koufax over Sutton and who is better has little to do with career totals, since Sutton has almost twice as many wins as Koufax and about 1200 more K's. Thats good to hear.

The best contact hitter, pure hitter or average hitter I ever saw was Tony Gwynn. If my life depended on getting a hit I would let Gwynn hit for me. I would not even put Rose in my top 5 pure hitters I saw. But hey, thats just me. The best overall hitter I saw was Barry Bonds.

Never saw Koufax, but I take Pedro over anybody who I ever saw. And would take Pedro to win a game for me.

I saw Sutton too.

Sutton and Koufax do not belong in the same conversation.

Koufax won the Cy Young in 63, 64 and 65 by unanimous votes and that's when there was  one Cy Young awarded to one pitcher for both leagues.

How many pitchers can you name who won the Cy Young with unanimous votes? And for one Cy Young for both leagues, he did it three times.

That's how good he was.

Each time he won the Cy Young he did so by leading both leagues in wins, Ks and ERA, the pitcher's triple crown.

Koufax and Nolan Ryan are the only two pitchers inducted into the hall that had more strikeouts than innings pitched.

Don Sutton? Talk to any old Dodger fans about that choice. I'd take Tommy John over Don Sutton or Don Drysdale..

I'm a life long Yankee fan, Mickey Mantle was my favorite. The Yankees won the WS in 61 and 62, the Dodgers behind Koufax swept the Yankees in 1963, he was unhittable, he beat Whitey Ford the first game and struck out 15 Yankees, beat Ford again in game 4 to complete the sweep.

Rose used the entire park, he went with the pitch, he didn't pull it, he took whatever the pitcher gave him, that's why he's the all-time hit leader.

I am guessing if i got to see him, Koufax would be my second favorite pitcher. No dissin Koufax from me.

Mr. Potato Head hit 73 homers in a pitchers park when teams were afraid to throw him a strike. It was the juice, yes. Da juice was good, no? But I saw what I saw. I give total credit to the best hitter I ever saw[Bonds] to Bonds chemist.

My only real difference I think is that you seem to focus on the longevity numbers of Rose, but ignore them for Koufax.

Anyway, cool talking with you and I am jealous you got to see Koufax.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

my 2 cents -  Rod Carew for a hit i abso needed to have.....

one game pitcher to win it all   Ron Guidry (it pains me to say this) 1978.....he was so dominant it was sickening....Orel Hershiser when he had that shutout streak that lasted almost 7 games...unreal
     vintage pedro almost any season

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I saw Sutton too.

Sutton and Koufax do not belong in the same conversation.

Koufax won the Cy Young in 63, 64 and 65 by unanimous votes and that's when there was  one Cy Young awarded to one pitcher for both leagues.

That's how good he was.

I am guessing if i got to see him, Koufax would be my second favorite pitcher. No dissin Koufax from me.

Mr. Potato Head hit 73 homers in a pitchers park when teams were afraid to throw him a strike. It was the juice, yes. Da juice was good, no? But I saw what I saw. I give total credit to the best hitter I ever saw[Bonds] to Bonds chemist.

My only real difference I think is that you seem to focus on the longevity numbers of Rose, but ignore them for Koufax.

Anyway, cool talking with you and I am jealous you got to see Koufax.

Bonds hit home runs, that's what he was a power hitter and hit more of them later in life when normally your skills decline.

Because he juiced. I hate cheaters, none of them would get my vote for the Hall and that includes all of the Yankees implicated.

Koufax like Schilling pitched poorly early but then when he figured it out he was unhittable.

Not all pitchers are alike, some take a few years to develope.

Koufax retired young because of an arthritic condition in his elbow.

My second favorite pitcher was Bob Gibson. Pedro was good too.

Nice talking with you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Carew would be my second choice. Some numbers to chew on.

Career BA since 1950...

1-Tony Gwynn---338

2-Ted Williams--335

3-Wade Boggs--328

4-Rod Carew---328

5-Albert Pujols-325

6-Joe Mauer---323

7-Ichiro--------322

8-Stan Musial-321

Peak 5 year spans....

1-Tony Gwynn---368

2-Ted Williams--362

3-Rod Carew----358

4-Wade Boggs--357

5-Larry Walker--357

6-Todd Helton--349

7-Stan Musial--341

8-Clemente----337----Between 33-37 years of age. Dude was a fine wine.

Gwynn and Carew did what they did in pitchers parks. They swung the bat like they were artists.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Carew would be my second choice. Some numbers to chew on.

Career BA since 1950...

1-Tony Gwynn---338

2-Ted Williams--335

3-Wade Boggs--328

4-Rod Carew---328

5-Albert Pujols-325

6-Joe Mauer---323

7-Ichiro--------322

8-Stan Musial-321

Peak 5 year spans....

1-Tony Gwynn---368

2-Ted Williams--362

3-Rod Carew----358

4-Wade Boggs--357

5-Larry Walker--357

6-Todd Helton--349

7-Stan Musial--341

8-Clemente----337----Between 33-37 years of age. Dude was a fine wine.

Gwynn and Carew did what they did in pitchers parks. They swung the bat like they were artists.

Gwynn and Carew hit wherever they played. Gwynn for the Padres, Carew early in his career for the Twins and then the Angels.

Those two were a lot like Wade Boggs, students of the game who approached hitting as a science.

They were fun to watch, sometimes Robinson Cano reminds me of Rod Carew, meaning his stance and posture in the batter's box.

And like Boggs neither of them tried to do too much with a pitch taking what the pitcher gave them, just making contact, going with the pitch.

I remember Tony Gwynn seeking out Ted Williams out at Ted's last All-Star game appearance to question Ted about hitting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Helloitsmeagain's comment:

Disagree; I also hope Morris & Biggio get in next yr.

Gonna be tough with Maddux, Glavine, Frank Thomas and Jeff Kent making their first appearance on the ballot.

Morris is probably going to hope the Veteran's Committee votes him in before he dies.

I believe the only one on that list to make next yr is Maddux. And I agree that appears to be the last resort for Morris. While not Walter Johnson, if Tony Perez is in the HOF, then Morris should be. I also think Piazza shall eventually get in, but I understand and agree with  the reason he didn't get in this time (PED suspicion)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

I believe the only one on that list to make next yr is Maddux. And I agree that appears to be the last resort for Morris. While not Walter Johnson, if Tony Perez is in the HOF, then Morris should be. I also think Piazza shall eventually get in, but I understand and agree with  the reason he didn't get in this time (PED suspicion)

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they are all getting in, just saying with only ten names per ballot they are sure to take votes away from other players.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Helloitsmeagain's comment:

Agreed

I'm not saying they are all getting in, just saying with only ten names per ballot they are sure to take votes away from other players.

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts