Justification

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Justification

No doubt about it, losing A-Gon is a tough hit!

BUT!!!!   This is a GREAT MOVE!  GREAT!

- Becket + - Crawford = 4 HIGH VALUE PLAYERS (yet to be determined)
    Nets about $36 MILLION / year!

Buy a good #2 pitcher for $12 mil
    Buy a GOOOOD LF for about $12 million

Frees up 2 HUGE SUCK HOLES!  I #2 pitcher + Someone who can actually play LF & swing a bat.  2 big PLUSES RIGHT THERE!

You've still got $12 million for 1 excellent 2nd tier player, or 2 decent 2nd teir guys.

That's +4 any way you look at it.

A-Gon?  Minus 1 underperforming top tier player!  OK!  I'll live with that.  He's not cut out for Boston!

BUY 2 more TOP 2nd Teir guys!  1st base & another pitcher.

Still a +6 move!!!!

I LOVE THIS MOVE!!!!   Spin it however you want!!!  If A-Gon doesn't go, we live with Craw for another 5 years & Beckett for 3 more.  Thank you Santa!!!!!!  I'll still be thanking you in December!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.  

*  YES!  All this is contingent upon getting quality players in return for the money we WILL SPEND!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

People here either love or hate this trade it seems. This team as constructed was not going anywhere. Too much money and years tied up Gonzo and CC. Think everybody can agree Beckett had to go. You got LA to take all 3 three and only sending 12 mil to LA. You do it.

Going forward the Sox still have work to do. Getting rid of Lackey and a few other players, Bobby V needs to go ect.

This does not mean the Sox going to have the payroll of KC or Oakland going forward. They will just spend the money smarter I hope (Do not go after Hamilton or Grineke)

It still may be a couple seasons before the Sox get back to the playoffs but this needed to be done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Justification:
    [QUOTE]People here either love or hate this trade it seems. This team as constructed was not going anywhere. Too much money and years tied up Gonzo and CC. Think everybody can agree Beckett had to go. You got LA to take all 3 three and only sending 12 mil to LA. You do it. Going forward the Sox still have work to do. Getting rid of Lackey and a few other players, Bobby V needs to go ect. This does not mean the Sox going to have the payroll of KC or Oakland going forward. They will just spend the money smarter I hope (Do not go after Hamilton or Grineke) It still may be a couple seasons before the Sox get back to the playoffs but this needed to be done.
    Posted by wmo1679[/QUOTE]

AMEN brother!  Amen!

preach to me preacher boy! I'm in the choir :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Justification : It's not BS, it's obviously true.  Every year there are a few decent 1B options around that while they wouldn't reach AGon's level they'd do a decent job for a fraction of the cost, leaving millions for pitching or other.  Freeman, LaRoche...just look at the list of current 1B men hugely exceeding, say, Prince Fielder's 2012 batting to see how some teams spend $20m+ when they could spend a fraction for a reasonable facsimile. BTW, how do you know what will be available this winter?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

If you are talking trade, you're going to have to factor in the cost in prospects to replace Agon.  In other words, if you trade everybody coming over from LA for Freeman, then you basically traded A-Gon for Freddie Freeman and $260M.  Again, unless there is somebody you want to buy on the FA market, I don't see the appeal of the $260M.  You're not getting a cut. 

The team is still worse off in that scenario, btw, and Atlanta would never do it.  You would have to throw in at least Barnes and Bogaerts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Justification : It's simple - here are the free agents:  http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013-mlb-free-agents.html If you are talking trade, you're going to have to factor in the cost in prospects to replace Agon.  In other words, if you trade everybody coming over from LA for Freeman, then you basically traded A-Gon for Freddie Freeman and $260M.  Again, unless there is somebody you want to buy on the FA market, I don't see the appeal of the $260M.  You're not getting a cut.  The team is still worse off in that scenario, btw, and Atlanta would never do it.  You would have to throw in at least Barnes and Bogaerts.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

It ain't gonna happen overnight....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I dont care if it was a salary dump, Im so excited at the chance to see a team where everyone is on the same page, runs out ground balls, and CARES! We have the everyday team on our roster now , use some of the money on pitching,sp and rp and 2013 will be fun

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts