Justin Masterson is 3-0

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Justin Masterson is 3-0

Well , first I am not what all the egalitarians in this board call a troll. I have been a Red Sox fan since 1954 . This current team is playing like the German Battleship , The Bismarck. The Bismarck was sunk because it had no rudder, the Sox have no rudder. They are going nowhere, they have a target on their backs. They sign players after career years to benchmark contracts. They trade away young players with great potential , for names , coming off career years, for money to large for the common man to comprehend.

Case in point, Justin Masterson he has 50% more wins then the Boston Red Sox for 2011. This is a quality young man , with a awesome sinker, who was traded to The Indians in the VMART deal. That being the VMART who hit .300 last year knocked in 80 runs was a class guy.

Question: If they really liked VMART , and he hit what he was supposed to, and you gave up good prospects for him, why wouldn't you sign him long term?

Lackey, the out of the blue, signing of Carl Crawford for $142 million, the signing of the washed up Mike Cameron, Saltamacchia who can't hit his weight and never has.  AGON is hitting .240 and has one homer, yet they sign him for $154 million, a JOKE. Theo or whoever is driving the bus, has lost the plot totally.

The team has the same look as a deer has in the dark when he stares at the headlights of an approaching car. LOST. The Yanks were ridiculed for years about they way they tried to buy a pennant, the money they spent. The Red Sox throw the money around like its 1923 Deutschmarks. What do they have to show for it ? The worst record in Major League baseball.

They could have signed Johnny Damon, who has won three games for the Rays for 5 million, he's too old I guess, but wait they signed Cameron for 15 million when he was 37 a year older than Damon. Instead  they back up the Brinks truck and sign CC who can't hit lefties , unless they are pitching in a Boston uniform.

I hope Masterson wins 20 games for the Indians, they finish 15 games ahead of the Red Sox. Because that is the only way Henry will see the light and fire Epstein. He is an idiot. I know the two pennants and all, but please, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometime.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Re: Justin Masterson is 3-0

John Henry's Liverpool Reds signed young British striker (forward) to a record 35million pound transfer fee and spent another 20million on Urugaian star Luis Suarez (also a forward). Big splashes to help revive a storied soccer franchise (as many league titles as the great Manchester United, just none lately). So, I suggest that maybe this high spending is less about Theo and more about John Henry. At least in Liverpool's case, it appears to be working as the talent evaluation seems to have been accurate; both players are performing well, despite the pressure of their large contracts. I absolutely agree that Theo's talent evaluation on large free-agent deals leaves much to be desired; the list of those he has squandered 100s of millions of dollars upon is a long one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

They traded for Victor because they knew he gave them a desperately needed bat that could have made the difference between the Sox being a postseason team or a miss the playoffs team that year.

They also traded for him because they knew they had an additional year left.  If the Sox weren't ridiculously injured last year they would have been a playoff team without question.

It looks like Justin Masterson may be coming of age but that's what you have to live with after trading for immediate talent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poster71. Show poster71's posts

So where was this post last year when Masterson was 6-13?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Also where were the Bucholz "deer in the headlights" posters last year? I think that the OPer has short patience, 20-20 hindsight vision, and needs to find his crying towel. Let him vent since it is how he likes to practice his fandom. Little boys need to pout and cry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

All these harsh words (either about FO or Francona) from Sox fans would make more sense if they were posted before the year started. The majority of the posts I read were debating whether or not this was the best Sox team in history.

There have been posts questioning the re-signing of Beckett, the acquisition of Lackey and even Salty's major league capabilities from DAY ONE- so there's are legit. However, to praise the acquisition of Gonzalez (Triple Crown Winner in Fenway!) in March then berate it in April is a joke.

Finally, I truly believe Sox management can't win sometimes. For years they get blasted for not signing the big free agents (Tex or CC or Arod, etc.), but now that they did it we read "we're just like the Yanks signing sorry big name player". I'm sorry you can't have it both ways. You have to give this team another 25 games or so to work itself out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

I don't recall Aussie predicting that Crawford and Gonzalez would be major busts back in February.Does anyone here with a better memory recall those words from him?

The marketplace put a value on Crawford of $20 mil. per year and on Damon for $2 mil. per year. This price is determined by supply and demand, the knowledge of agents, owners, GMs, and players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

The marketplace also said your house was worth $200,000 more 4 years ago than today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Don't kid yourself.  If Masterson were pitching for the Sox right now, he'd have ZERO wins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Justin Masterson is 3-0:
    [QUOTE]Well , first I am not what all the egalitarians in this board call a troll. I have been a Red Sox fan since 1954 . This current team is playing like the German Battleship , The Bismarck. The Bismarck was sunk because it had no rudder, the Sox have no rudder. They are going nowhere, they have a target on their backs. They sign players after career years to benchmark contracts. They trade away young players with great potential , for names , coming off career years, for money to large for the common man to comprehend. Case in point, Justin Masterson he has 50% more wins then the Boston Red Sox for 2011. This is a quality young man , with a awesome sinker, who was traded to The Indians in the VMART deal. That being the VMART who hit .300 last year knocked in 80 runs was a class guy. Question: If they really liked VMART , and he hit what he was supposed to, and you gave up good prospects for him, why wouldn't you sign him long term? Lackey, the out of the blue, signing of Carl Crawford for $142 million, the signing of the washed up Mike Cameron, Saltamacchia who can't hit his weight and never has.  AGON is hitting .240 and has one homer, yet they sign him for $154 million, a JOKE. Theo or whoever is driving the bus, has lost the plot totally. The team has the same look as a deer has in the dark when he stares at the headlights of an approaching car. LOST. The Yanks were ridiculed for years about they way they tried to buy a pennant, the money they spent. The Red Sox throw the money around like its 1923 Deutschmarks. What do they have to show for it ? The worst record in Major League baseball. They could have signed Johnny Damon, who has won three games for the Rays for 5 million, he's too old I guess, but wait they signed Cameron for 15 million when he was 37 a year older than Damon. Instead  they back up the Brinks truck and sign CC who can't hit lefties , unless they are pitching in a Boston uniform. I hope Masterson wins 20 games for the Indians, they finish 15 games ahead of the Red Sox. Because that is the only way Henry will see the light and fire Epstein. He is an idiot. I know the two pennants and all, but please, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometime.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

Will,

We can celebrate Justin's good beginning.  Good for him.

It gives him and the Tribe hope he does some better than 6-13 of last season.

And we can enjoy his success as a friend and former Sox.

But you really need to know that VMart was a rental, as was Beltre.  Neither was going to fit in to long term plans here.  

VMart liked Detroit better.  The offer for sure, but fellow countrymen on the  team  made the atmosphere appealling to him.

Beltre was signed as a stop gap ... AGone was hopefully coming and Beltre would not accept a lesser contract after his season. 

Your early season whining about Adrian and Carl are just that, short sighted complaints about a season with 162 games in it.  Give the guys a chance before you throw them under the bus.  A REAL chance for God's sake. 

For your complaints about Adrian and Carl ... and Lackey ... if you applied the same logic to Justin Masterson last year as an Indian's fan, you'd be screaming what an idiot move.   (Oh, btw, they WERE in Cleveland ... but now you see the high side ... a season later.  How about giving these guys a season plus before you die over them.  Lackey has been more than a season, but I am really talking about Adrian and Carl.

Relax, friend.

6-13 stinks.  But you pick up the good ...

Give these guys a chance to get past their "6-13" .....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Justin Masterson is 3-0:
    [QUOTE]All these harsh words (either about FO or Francona) from Sox fans would make more sense if they were posted before the year started. The majority of the posts I read were debating whether or not this was the best Sox team in history. There have been posts questioning the re-signing of Beckett, the acquisition of Lackey and even Salty's major league capabilities from DAY ONE- so there's are legit. However, to praise the acquisition of Gonzalez (Triple Crown Winner in Fenway!) in March then berate it in April is a joke. Finally, I truly believe Sox management can't win sometimes. For years they get blasted for not signing the big free agents (Tex or CC or Arod, etc.), but now that they did it we read "we're just like the Yanks signing sorry big name player". I'm sorry you can't have it both ways. You have to give this team another 25 games or so to work itself out.
    Posted by Wolfpack13[/QUOTE]

Superb!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I think we should just be happy for Masterson.  He was a good kid when he was in Boston and it is nice to se him playing well.

Not everything has to be analyzed with an eye toward how we got screwed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Ancient history.  Move on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

If that were true the cause would be a manager named tito who hasn't a clue what to do, once the game starts.

In Response to Re: Justin Masterson is 3-0:
    [QUOTE]Don't kid yourself.  If Masterson were pitching for the Sox right now, he'd have ZERO wins.
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts