Justin Morneau

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

Justin Morneau

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I would have liked to see Ben try to make a trade for this guy. Before his concussion and some other bad luck he was one of the best players in the game and the front runner to win another MVP.

In 2012, in his first full year back, he hit .267 with 19HR and 77RBI

not great but also not bad for a guy coming off a very rough two years where he missed a lot of playing time.

at 15 mil per year and with "I believe" 1 year left on his contract I'm sure the twins would part with him and he might just bounce back closer to his pre 2010 numbers. do I think he'll be an MVP again? no...but he could be a good bat for a one year rental and some prospects and would probably be had for cheap. I think it would be low risk big upside and wouldnt cost any top prospects, just a thought if Napoli falls through.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Justin Morneau

its 14M and I think the twins want a lot for him. Its a possibility though if naps doesnt sign.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

Well I wouldnt want to see us give up too much for him, but if he could be had for a reasonable cost, which would be taking his full salary and sending over a couple decent pitching prospects, or maybe even Morales or Aceves since the twins need pitching bad and those guys would help them and Morales has some upside as a starter in my oppinion

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well I wouldnt want to see us give up too much for him, but if he could be had for a reasonable cost, which would be taking his full salary and sending over a couple decent pitching prospects, or maybe even Morales or Aceves since the twins need pitching bad and those guys would help them and Morales has some upside as a starter in my oppinion

[/QUOTE]

Only if Naps doesnt sign and it doesnt cost much. im thinking a brandon workman type though. Morneau will be a FT 1b so it all depends on Napolis contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox might be better off saving their prospects and spending $1 million or $2 million on a one-year contract with Carlos Pena rather than surrendering personnel to pay Justin Morneau $14 million. Their career slash lines:

CP .243/.350/.472/.822

JM .280/.351/.492/.843

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox might be better off saving their prospects and spending $1 million or $2 million on a one-year contract with Carlos Pena rather than surrendering personnel to pay Justin Morneau $14 million. Their career slash lines:

CP .243/.350/.472/.822

JM .280/.351/.492/.843

[/QUOTE]

Pena has been terrible the last 3 years and is 3 years older than Morneau.

Morneau had the concussion thing but bounced back nicely last year. pena is struggling to hit .200 nowadays...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Pena has been terrible the last 3 years and is 3 years older than Morneau. Morneau had the concussion thing but bounced back nicely last year. pena is struggling to hit .200 nowadays...

It's Carlos Pena's declining slugging percentage, not his batting average, that should be concerning.

Pena and Justin Morneau boast similar on-base percentages for last year and for their careers. Last season Pena posted a WAR of 0.9 in 160 games while Morneau posted a WAR of 0.9 in 134 games. The disparity does not match the salary difference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Pena has been terrible the last 3 years and is 3 years older than Morneau. Morneau had the concussion thing but bounced back nicely last year. pena is struggling to hit .200 nowadays...

It's Carlos Pena's declining slugging percentage, not his batting average, that should be concerning.

Pena and Justin Morneau boast similar on-base percentages for last year and for their careers. Last season Pena posted a WAR of 0.9 in 160 games while Morneau posted a WAR of 0.9 in 134 games. The disparity does not match the salary difference.

[/QUOTE]

I see both of them as libilities...

Pena is a slick fielder but has regressed with the stick...Morneau once an MVP candidate is a shadow of his former self and his value on the open market is not commensurate with his current contract terms. As such if the Twins trade him they'll do so for pennies on the dollar. My guess is that the Twins will roll the dice and hope it comes up 7 and hold onto him in hopes that he can regain his stroke and if he does then both his value on the market and to them growns exponentially...300-30-100 was once a given this this guy...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

what is it with someof you posters and salary...its not your money..henry can afford the money.....we made  him  rich ...give us the product......we deserve quality...stop whinning about henrys money

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what is it with someof you posters and salary...its not your money..henry can afford the money.....we made  him  rich ...give us the product......we deserve quality...stop whinning about henrys money

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Too many on here want to play fantasy baseball. I want a winning team. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Do we really need a guy who calls himself "Michael Kay" of the YES network here? Is this some inside joke? If you wanted to be a NY broadcaster posting here, you could have just went with "Bobby Valentine", Mikey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Too many on here want to play fantasy baseball. I want a winning team. 

[/QUOTE]

Henry is not going to go too far over the luxury limit anytime soon, so the bank is not as limitless as you may think.

Choosing one of the worst FA classes in recent memory and at the same time one of the most overpaid classes of all time to make a big splash is foolish from so many angles, it should be plain to see for all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Henry is not going to go too far over the luxury limit anytime soon, so the bank is not as limitless as you may think.

Choosing one of the worst FA classes in recent memory and at the same time one of the most overpaid classes of all time to make a big splash is foolish from so many angles, it should be plain to see for all.

[/QUOTE]

It is plain to see that this team needs improvement.  Let's be content with our new found futility , while we wait for a better class of free agents. Then we can make a big splash.  Okay, I get it.  There will always be excuses for failure.  This is a competitive business. Why are some here so willing to accept losing ?  Something is wrong with this picture. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is plain to see that this team needs improvement.  Let's be content with our new found futility , while we wait for a better class of free agents. Then we can make a big splash.  Okay, I get it.  There will always be excuses for failure.  This is a competitive business. Why are some here so willing to accept losing ?  Something is wrong with this picture. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not and have never "accepted losing". My plans made us better in 2013, but much better after that when compared to this "plan".

Also, there is such a thing as needing to take a step back in order to take a giant step forward at the right time.

Hasn't 80 some odd years of doing just enough to compete taught us anything? Not that my plan would have netted us only 70 wins in 2013, but I'd much rather have two 100 win and two 70 win seasons every 5 years than winning 85 games all 5 years.

I don't buy the crahp about us needing to sell tickets and pump up NESN to remain competitive; this team would have had a alot of fans watching had we signed a few younger FAs, and made a strategic trade or two all geared towards getting players that have 3+ years of team control and will be in or approaching their prime years in 2014 and 2015 and hopefully beyong.

Yes, this team is better than last September's team, but was that really all our goal was? To be near playoff contenders until maybe a kid or two leads us somewhere better at a later date despite the fact that almost all the guys we just signed rate to decline by 2014 or 2015 along with Papi and others over 31 or 32.

I will root strongly for my team. I'll root even harder for the players I had hoped we never signed. If everything gels all at once, perhaps there can be some magic in 2013, but that doesn't mean I can't help but think what might have been had we not lessened our chances in 2014 and beyond by clinging to the false hopes of 2013.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think your view is whats wrong with this picture.

Fact. This FA class is middle of the road and overpaid. Theres a difference between making excuses and factual reasons. So your saying we should we go out and grossly overpay more middling FA? I dont really understand how thats a smart move. They havent even finished the off season moves yet, nevermind played one game and youve already labeled this as a failure. Sorry, I find that somewhat funny.

Nobody accepts losing, Thats a ridiculous statement. some of us dont care to cut our fingers off to spite our own hand. Sometimes its best to just put the wallet away instead of settling for something thats not really what you wanted.

Your are right though, this is a competitive business. Smart decisions need to be made. There is a plan and its being worked. The plan doesnt include to spend loads of $$ just because we have it, its to spend it better than we have in the past.

This "rebuild" was going to take more than one offseason. I figured most were aware of this. Changing the whole culture of the clubhouse with short term quality ballplayers, ridding ourselves of huge financial commitments, developing our own talent and bringing in a whole new management/coaching staff is a lot for one offseason. They are headed in the right direction now and some here will still never be happy. Whatever.

At least some of us understand.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lack of money derailed our off-season last year.

Lack of money is what lost the NYY Martin, Chavez, and their inability to go after Hamilton.

The cash is not unlimited.  If we could print money, and no one else could, then sign every player in the league.

But seriously, why pretend that we have unlimited spending?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do we really need a guy who calls himself "Michael Kay" of the YES network here? Is this some inside joke? If you wanted to be a NY broadcaster posting here, you could have just went with "Bobby Valentine", Mikey.

[/QUOTE]

Do we really need someone policing who can and who can't post here? Lay off the pike pills kim :(

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Since it not my money, I really don't care what the Sox pay to any player, but I am reluctant to trade three or four prospects for a somewhat broken down guy like Morneau.

Comparing Morneau's stats with Pena is very reasonable if only because Pena is not going to cost any young prospects (especially young pitchers) when neither Morneau or Pena is likely to make the team a playoff contender in 2013.

I would much rather hold onto all of the young pitching and let them all get a chance in the next few years to take spots that will continue to go to guys like Dempster if the Sox continue to never have some young guys to insert into their rotation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The salary is a realistic consideration since the team hs decided not to overcommit to free agents this yr.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Your plan was to spend 2M on Wakefield for 2012. Your plans for McCarthey and A. Sanchez and Marcum appear to have been swallowed in the Dempster, not that your plan was more than 2nd rate pitchers for 1st rate long term contracts. 

[/QUOTE]

No worries. We now have Dempster who cost 11M more and also an ERA above 5.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Your plan was to spend 2M on Wakefield for 2012. Your plans for McCarthey and A. Sanchez and Marcum appear to have been swallowed in the Dempster, not that your plan was more than 2nd rate pitchers for 1st rate long term contracts. 

[/QUOTE]

More lies about my Wake offer.

Your plan was Guthrie- a 3rd rate pitcher at a 2nd rate offer and 4th rate offers to 3rd rate pitchers who would never sign at your suggested rate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Not happening, no way unless Luchinno told the Twins to pay his old contract. No way, we are in the cheap, good citizen mode with low productivity. What you are seeing going down with their behaviour this year and last year was that Young Ben Cherrington either sold his soul to Larry Luchinno or was read the riot act about spending and going into the cheap prospects are better mode. What really scares me is this team is banking on all these prospects developing, and that is usually not the case. Lavarnway and Iglesias cannot hit and I know its early but those two are looking shakey right now. Then when prospects come up they have to learn the pitchers and learn how to make adjustments. Its a growing processeecially with the prices the Red Sox charge in Fenway. This is going to be a long process. In 2007 you could put Pedroia out there to develop because you had a lot of veterans and intermdiate veterans on the team. This team is going to bring a flurry of them which is a lot to ask for. Look at the Yankees with Ian Kennedy and Hughes who did not win a game between them in 2008. I am not optimistic at all about this team or process. This is just designed to maximize profits for ownership.

Sections
Shortcuts