Justin Upton is no bargain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Justin Upton is no bargain

He just turned 25 and is already getting $10M per even though he plays in Arizona, his max dingers to date is 31, and this year he is headed for like 15.  His agent will begin salivating as soon as he gets here and insist his guy is worth Manny money.  Boras certainly would--he says Ellsbury is a franchise player.  Speaking of whom, Ellsbury had a better year last year than Upton has ever had and is getting $8M this year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Justin Upton is no bargain

He waas coming off an injry this year.

Not many 23 year olds had a 31 HR season.

At his age, if he were a FA right not, he'd get close to $300M/12.

Instead, he is owed
    : 13:$9.75M, 14:$14.25M, 15:$14.5M

Dude, he's worth the money. The question is, is he worth the many players we'd have to give to get him?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He is younger than Lavarnway and has already had an MVP-caliber season.  He is owed $39mill over the next 3 years, which means he can produce like a middle order hitter while being paid like Rafael Furcal...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Justin Upton is no bargain:

He waas coming off an injry this year.

Not many 23 year olds had a 31 HR season.

At his age, if he were a FA right not, he'd get close to $300M/12.

Instead, he is owed
    : 13:$9.75M, 14:$14.25M, 15:$14.5M

Dude, he's worth the money. The question is, is he worth the many players we'd have to give to get him?

i hear and belive his team thinks he has problems that wont be resolved.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I just worry about the attitude issues that Im hearing...Kinda the same as his brother BJ...Production wise, hes probably worth the $$. As far as what Towers will want for him? I dont think that would be worth it. Hes going to want a haul that includes top pitching prospects. Depending on what the prospect price is would determine if Id pull the trigger or not...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I just worry about the attitude issues that Im hearing...Kinda the same as his brother BJ...Production wise, hes probably worth the $$. As far as what Towers will want for him? I dont think that would be worth it. Hes going to want a haul that includes top pitching prospects. Depending on what the prospect price is would determine if Id pull the trigger or not...

I'd give  Doubront, Bard, Aceves, Sweeney, Brentz and Coylr or Vitek for Justin as long as we pick up a quality starter somewhere/somehow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sorry, but that is waaay too much to give up for Upton IMO. 3 prospects 1 MLB player, not 6 players. Personally, I want to keep Brentz and would offer another player to take his place. Bard, Coyle, Cechhini, and maybe a Jacobs or De La Cruz...If we had Upton locked up for another 5-6 years then 6 players would be reasonable. But not for 3yrs and some possible attitude issues.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Brentz has to be the centerpiece of this trade if ever going to happen.  Zona is giving up a young veteran who yet to have his prime time.  Zona has good pitching prospects almost major ready so Barnes, Webster, Rubby are their top priority even though throwing in one of them would lessen the volume of the package significantly.  If Ben decides to part with Brentz for Upton, I'll be fine with a package including Brentz, Cecchini, Ells, Ranaudo, and mid-level pitching prospect for Upton and PTBNL. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

6 players for Upton is way too much...3 maybe 4 at the very very most. Jeez, it only took 3 to land Gonzo and hes 10 times the player Upton is and had a much better track record. Upton is good, but hasnt been consistantly good enough to warrant that kind of prospect haul. There are suggestions of attitude issues and hes coming off a horrible year as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I don't think the Sox should trade for him. Arizona will likely ask too much. A career .277 hitter, has  more than 20 HR's only twice. Can't see what all the excitement's about. Also concerns about his attitude. Didn't they just trade away three players who were "not a good fit"? I don't think this guy is either. Pass.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]

Ellsbury has been solid, this year. Numbers look good.

[/QUOTE]

That's nasty, but unfortunately about on target.   Ells is regressing this year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I think Brentz has to be the centerpiece of this trade if ever going to happen.  Zona is giving up a young veteran who yet to have his prime time.  Zona has good pitching prospects almost major ready so Barnes, Webster, Rubby are their top priority even though throwing in one of them would lessen the volume of the package significantly.  If Ben decides to part with Brentz for Upton, I'll be fine with a package including Brentz, Cecchini, Ells, Ranaudo, and mid-level pitching prospect for Upton and PTBNL. 

You'd give Ells in the package for Upton. I wouldn't trade Ells straight up for Upton as Ells is a better player and always will be. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

You'd give Ells in the package for Upton. I wouldn't trade Ells straight up for Upton as Ells is a better player and always will be. 

I honestly think that Arizona would do a straight up trade. To offer them more would be stupid.  The key would be their ability to re-sign Ellsbury.  They obviously are disenchanted with Upton.

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I honestly think that Arizona would do a straight up trade. To offer them more would be stupid.  The key would be their ability to re-sign Ellsbury.  They obviously are disenchanted with Upton.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the D'back's are disenchanted with him, why would the Red Sox want him?
    (let the haunting begin.)  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. There must be a reason why they want to get rid of him. He is a talented young player.  We probably don't know the whole story.  Let the buyer beware.  ( Anyone know the number for Ghostbusters ? )

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. There must be a reason why they want to get rid of him. He is a talented young player.  We probably don't know the whole story.  Let the buyer beware.  ( Anyone know the number for Ghostbusters ? )

[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet there are players out there who can put up close to the same numbers without the attitude for a much lower cost. Would rather the Sox explore other options.
    (Also try Orkin Spirit Removal Div, I could use the exorcise.)

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet there are players out there who can put up close to the same numbers without the attitude for a much lower cost. Would rather the Sox explore other options.
    (Also try Orkin Spirit Removal Div, I could use the exorcise.)

[/QUOTE]

Try to keep your spirits up.  Personally , I would stay away from Upton. 

[/QUOTE]

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I've been saying this on other threads - I think we can get Carlos Gonzalez for not much more than Justin Upton, especially if the Rockies think we're going after Upton if we don't get Gonzalez.

Think about it - CO, AZ and SD don't have a shot at competing with SF and LA over the next couple of years.  And CO doesn't come close to matching the young talent and prospects of SD and AZ.  Pomeranz has ace potential, but not much after that.  They only have a couple of trade chips - Tulo, Cargo, and to a lesser extent DexFo.  Tulo is the face of the franchise, and Fowler won't return that much.  If the Rockies know the Sox are going to send half a dozen prospects to the NL West, wouldn't they want every chance to be in the discussion?

Personally, I'd much prefer Gonzalez to Upton.  It's not fair to Upton, but part of it is because his brother looked like Willie Mays at age 22, and now looks more like Willie Bloomquist.  Part if it is the club-house problem angle.  And part of it is because with A-Gon and Crawford gone, the need for a RH power bat is less pressing.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good comments, everyone, thanks.  I have reservations about Justin Upton, but haven't cornered the market on insight. 

I would like to add we should not see this as an Ells for Upton swap.  With CC gone, trading Ells would created two all-star calibre vacancies in the 2013 Sox outfield. 

And, FWIW, the Sox might have two good rookie outfielders ready by 2014--Bradley and Bogaerts.  The write-up on Bogaerts, who is 6'3", is he is a much better hitter than a SS and might be better suited for LF. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

555-2368

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Upton is better than Ellsbury, is under team control at a relatively low cost, and is RH'd in a sea of lefty OF'ers. 

I seriously doubt AZ would take Ellsbury and the comp pick when he walks after 2013 for Upton, even if prospects are added.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I am not the largest Upton fan, but I would trade Ellsbury for him right now if only because Ellsbury is not (and should not) sign wih Boston after 2013.  And, he may or may not bring back a supplemental draft pick unless he has a sparkling 2013 season.

Upton might be the guy who needs a change of scenery to produce better once again.

Again, trading one guy (even if it is Ellsbury) for Upton would be much better than trading six young guys for him even though I would much rather see pitching prospects coming to Boston for Ellsbury.