Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

In response to softlaw's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Go after Choo.  He was a better player than Upton this season. 

I can't stop laughing!

[/QUOTE]

This is another player I would like to see the Sox trade for good call softlaw.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Justin Upton on the block, expected to be moved, should the sox trigger a deal for him?

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Choo > Upton

By five years in age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Az would want too much.  Both Upton's are overrated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They want a SS, 3b and pitching. Bogaerts Barnes and Middlebrooks. Not in a million years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Thoughts on a deal involving Cecchini, Marrero, and Workman/Ranaudo? AZ wants a young 3B/SS type. Why not offer both?

Cecchini seems to be a solid corner IF. Wont hit for the power you might want him too, but at 21 he still has some room for growth in that area. He has the frame to do it.

Saw Marrero a few times this summer, and though he's a pleasant person to talk to, I don't think he's really a viable candidate. He has two guys in front of him that are significantly better than he is. Talked to a scout about him and he was not impressed (even though in his first AB he jacked a homer to LF).

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i dont see how anyone can say the sox dont match up with the dbacks, we have de la rose, webster, and doubront who are all major league ready, with doubront and de la rosa having already pitched in the majors, we have some good ss prospects in marrero, jose vinicio, and tzu wei lin, we have a few 3B prospects outside of will middlebrooks in garin checcini and travis shaw.We have the players to get a deal done, ben needs to man up and deal away some of his beloved prospects. Heck if they ask for say an outfielder(to replace upton) in brentz or bradley, fine, a ss in marrero, (the one guy i wont trade is boegarts) and a major league ready pitcher (they can choose from de la rose, webster, or doubront). Thats a pretty solid package for upton. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We could give Aceves, one of Doubront or Morales, Bradley & one of Vinicio or Lin. They my want Cecchini instead of a SS not named Bogaerts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think Boston should keep Ellsbury.  And forget him.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

we definitely have the pieces to get a deal done, heck i would go as far as possibly giving them middlebrooks if need be, cuz chances are boegarts will need to shift to 3rd due to his size. If the sox dont land upton, this offseason is officially over.Now there is a rumor going around that detroit is offering castellanos, a.garcia and smyly for upton, if detroit gets him, i will be choked. the sox need him badley, we need a middle of the order bat who is young  and hits for power. Upton is all those things and has huge potential. Its rare that a guy like upton becomes available, the last time was when miguel cabrera was dealt. if this team is going to have any hope of contending in 2013, upton is the guy we need to get. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

we definitely have the pieces to get a deal done, heck i would go as far as possibly giving them middlebrooks if need be, cuz chances are boegarts will need to shift to 3rd due to his size. If the sox dont land upton, this offseason is officially over.Now there is a rumor going around that detroit is offering castellanos, a.garcia and smyly for upton, if detroit gets him, i will be choked. the sox need him badley, we need a middle of the order bat who is young  and hits for power. Upton is all those things and has huge potential. Its rare that a guy like upton becomes available, the last time was when miguel cabrera was dealt. if this team is going to have any hope of contending in 2013, upton is the guy we need to get. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but we'd still need a #1/2 slot pitcher. I think we could trade for Upton and Brett Anderson and actually be contenders in 2013, but more importantly, be serious contenders in 2014 and beyond as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you Juston Upton's Mom?!  Slow down, Pride.  Not getting Upton is far from the end of the world, and the Sox arent going to overpay for a guy with questionable attitude.  Everyone thought the Angels would win a hundred games after their moves last year, and they finished behind Oakland out of the playoffs.  Let it play out!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Are you Juston Upton's Mom?!  Slow down, Pride.  Not getting Upton is far from the end of the world, and the Sox arent going to overpay for a guy with questionable attitude.  Everyone thought the Angels would win a hundred games after their moves last year, and they finished behind Oakland out of the playoffs.  Let it play out!

Would Justin Upton's mother want her son to play in Boston?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My guess is yes, since he'd be on the East Coast where he grew up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i agree we need 1/2 pitcher, but at this point i think upton should be priority number 1. As for pitchers, there is a guy named zach grienke on the market that would fill that void, but the sox will likely not go after him for whatever reason. Even though our pick is protected, so if we signed him it would cost only money and either a comp round pick or our second rounder. We have the money without question, and looking at next years free agent crop, all the pitchers are 30 or over and if this team actually competes (and it would with grienke and upton), our pick will not be protected. If im ben c, i sign grienke, hopefully win the bid on ryu hyun jin, and trade for justin upton. Our rotation would be pretty legit Grienke, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Jin and of course upton would anchor the middle of our line up batitng 3rd. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My guess is yes, since he'd be on the East Coast where he grew up.

[/QUOTE]

Ya i was going to say, upton mentioned wanted to play on the east coast, how much more of a fit could the sox be? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's also room for Upton and Ellsbury on the same team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Boston should keep Ellsbury.  And forget him.  

[/QUOTE]

[November 7, 2012 at 9:18am CST]

Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury is one year removed from an MVP-caliber season and one year away from free agency, but Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says (on Twitter) the Red Sox are disinclined to trade him right now. His value is down at the moment and the team figures he'll be highly motivated in his walk year.........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ya i was going to say, upton mentioned wanted to play on the east coast, how much more of a fit could the sox be?

Do you have a link to anything that quotes Justin Upton saying he wants to play on the East Coast?

The closest I found was unattributed speculation that Upton would be "comfortable" on the East Coast:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20221107sox_expected_in_mix_on_justin_upton

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

It doesn't really matter, Hill, since he's not a free agent. He has a very limited no trade, which I'm guessing he'd waive for the right price.  He's an east coast guy, and I've heard he'd like to play closer to his roots in Virginia, but that doesn't mean Seattle isn't an option.  I don't think he's coming to Boston, as the Sox aren't going to trade Middlebrooks or Boegarts in a package for him, which means they really don't match up with what AZ is looking for. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

The Diamondbacks would want a significant return for two-time All Star outfielder Justin Upton, a 25-year-old who remains under contract for three more seasons.

Seattle has been rumored to be showcasing 21-year-old shortstop Nick Franklin and just-turned 24-year-old lefthander James Paxton in the Arizona Fall League in preparation of a package trade offer for Upton.

In his recent preliminary prospect rankings, John Sickels of Minor League Ball ranked Franklin the 16th-best hitter and Paxton the 25th-best pitcher. Boston's rough equivalent would be 22-year-old righthander Matt Barnes, the 18th-ranked pitcher, and 22-year-old outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., the 24th-ranked hitter.

Would the Red Sox trade Barnes and Bradley in a package for Justin Upton? If not, the Sox offer might not be competitive.

[/QUOTE]

Kevin Towers, if he has a clue, would not trade for James Paxton with a ten foot..  ummm.. something that you trade that is relatively pole shaped.   Little help here?

At least ask for Taijuan Walker or Hultzen, but by all means, avoid Paxton and the extremly likely Tommy John surgery that he will receive in the next 3 to 4 years.   Paxton is a native of British Columbia, and the occurence of TJ and other arm surgeries from Canadian pitchers is remarkably high.  It might have to do with the lack of arm strength, as the weather tends to shorten the seasons of developing young arms.

Were I dealing Upton, Paxton would not be included.  Either Walker or Hultzen...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

notin, do you think AZ would take:

Bradley

Aceves

Doubront or Morales

Vinicio or Lin

or

Bradley

Aceves

Webster or de la Rosa

Cecchini 

I'd love to do the first trade, and then trade Lava, Cecchini, Tazawa and one of Lin/Vinicio for Brett Anderson. Trade scraps for K. Morales. Maybe somewhere in here Brentz would have to be part of a deal.

Sign one of A Sanchez, B McCarthy or S Marcum and then maybe Ross or Ludwick. Do all this and we just may become serious contenders in 1 winter.

(Plus, we'd still have Barnes, Bogaerts and 1 of Webster/de la Rosa plus Owens.)