Justin Upton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Justin Upton

7 home runs now hitting over .360 for the 1st place braves, good thing the sox passed up on him, definitely couldnt have used a right handed hitting outfielder with 30+ homer run ability and is just 25 years old. but hey lets sign johnny gomes instead.....ben and co are really going to have to hope the marlins change there stance on stanton and deal him at the deadline. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Justin Upton

Too bad he wanted NOTHING to do with Boston. That might have had a little something to do with it rsp34...Dont blame BC, blame J.Upton.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Braves On Fire, Without, Brian McCann And Freddie Freeman.................

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He wanted to play with his brother. Maybe this is the year he realizes his potential but until he does he is just another guy who never put it together.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Too bad noone on this forum ever suggested going after J Upton...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to bald-predictions's comment:

Too bad noone on this forum ever suggested going after J Upton...

This is going to really hurt, but I have to admit that.........

oh, this is hard!!!

The Stifster was trumpeting him.

STILL........

IT'S a MUTE POINT!  He does not want to play in Boston!  We would have had to shower the kid with EXTRA millions per year to get him to even consider.

LET IT GO gm wannabe's

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Havent we learned yet that just because a player plays good somewhere else doesnt mean the same results would happen here?

I admit that J.Upton is a fine player who has been inconsistent so far, but with great potential. He will be available after the 2015 season and Boston will have a lot of available payroll. He will only be 28yrs old. He didnt want to come here already (see no-trade clause) so we'll have to wait and see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where are the countless posters who said J Upton was over-rated?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Like a kid in a candy store , we want to have everything that we like.  Upton , Felix and now , Stanton. We want it all. Why won't they all cooperate ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Like a kid in a candy store , we want to have everything that we like.  Upton , Felix and now , Stanton. We want it all. Why won't they all cooperate ?

I, for one, LOVE the fact that we can't have it all!  I love that KC might actually have a team this year???  Wouldn't that be great!  I LOVE that we may, MAY, have a little bit of parity in the AL East.  I hope it's a dog fight 'til the finish!

This stuff is so silly!  J. Upton did not want to come here!  Good on him.  No problem, as Boston is not for every player.....  i.e.  Crawford, etc....

I also LOVE this ragtag group that BC has put together.  SAVE the "we're all in" adds!  Not that I like this year's add campaign much better, but let the boys just play ball.  Don't say a GD word in the adds, simply show them playing!

The vast majority of know it all fans / wannabe little gm's / posters here were ripping this TEAM apart before ST, and now are starting to jump on board.  Will they still be singing their praises come August & September?  Yeh!  They will, because this TEAM is going to compete all season long! 

Here's one Red Sox fan who couldn't be happier that we don't have J. Upton.  Right now, we've got the ALL STAR Victorino, who is tearing it up.  How many wins has he contributed to?  How good will this team be when our other guys heat up???   i.e.  Middy, Ells, Pedey, Naps, Salty, and even I'm not J.D. Drew???   If Papi comes back?  When Douby gets rolling?  It's gonna be fun to watch OUR TEAM, and forget about all these pipe dreams!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I know one who spent the day happily watching the Sox go to 7-4, but wondering whether a no hitter was more important then a pitch count and not being sure. Watched a crappy putter make the 2 most important puts of his life. Then watched the Boiler Room with a lot of slick actors acting slick. Moderate thumbs up btw. Then enjoyed reading the box scores of the Sox minor league teams and was thrilled to see so many prospects off to great starts and glad they are in our organisation. Truthfully, didn't spend a second thinking about the Upton's, either one.

Then he spent 3 minutes reading this thread. Then about 20 seconds contemplating what the "issues" are with Upton that would cause the Diamondbacks to try to trade him for 3 years. Then about 5 seconds realising you shouldn't judge players based on a dozen games. Then about 2 minutes writing this.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Redsoxpride, what trade package would you have offered to obtain Upton from Arizona? Just curious.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i'll put my name to that.

ATL just better hope they can keep him interested all season. As soon as it became appearant that AZ wasn't a contender J Upton stopped caring, stopped playing hard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Too bad he wanted NOTHING to do with Boston

False, he's professional baseball player and plays for living. His no trade clause was changed each year to reflect the big market teams that would be most likely to try and acquire him in a trade. It's leverage for a big extesnion. If the Red Sox had converted Ellsbury and his draft compensation, with any 3 or 4 players except Bradley, Bogearts and Barnes, they would have been able to aquire the rights to offer J. Upton a 100 million dollar extension that pays him until he's 33 years old. He would have accepted it and waived the no-trade cluase. It happens frequently.

The blowhards on here, including southpaux, claimed that J. Upton was overrated. In reality, most Red Sox fans did not want to use Ellsbury and the draft compesnation as currency to close this deal.

If Cherry wanted him, he could have trumped the Bravos and made the extension offer to close the daal. Instead, it's going to be Ellsbury for one final season and Shane for 3 more years.

J. Upton would have been a perfect fit in Fenway and the AL East. His career numbers would have exploded even more than they have in Atalanta.

Now that it's over, managment should convert Bogaerts to 3B, move Middlebrooks to 3rd for 2014, and put an end to this silly slugging SS nonsense. Bradley should take over CF for 2014, and Shane is here to stay. Unless Brentz or other slugging RH OF'er emerges, another year of Nava and Gomes will be the way to go.

If only any facts supported this.

If Upton's NTC wa a negotating ploy, he would have had the Yankees on his list.  The omission of the largest market and biggest spender is much too big of an oversite for his agent to have made.  Also, he would have negotiated with Seattle, as opposed to flat out turning them down.

If Seattle wanted to acquire the draft pick, they would not have extended Prado so quickly.  The draft pick compensation for Prado was equal to the compensation for Ellsbury - one sandwich pick.

Arizona made a lot of dumb moves this offseason, but they did not give Upton away for nothing, and the value of that package, while beatable, was not farm scraps.  The cetenrpiece was Randall Delgado, and the Boston equivalent was Allen Webster.  They also were very voal about acquiring a 3B, and all Boston had to offer was Will Middlebrooks.  Nick Ahmed is the slightly lesser version of Deven Marrero.  and Brain Drury is the only worthless piece.

So all the Sox needed to do was pony up Webster, Middlebrooks, Marrero and a token farm scrap, and they might have been able to acquire Upton.  Assuming Upton was willing to negotiate at all, and Boston was willing to exnted him an 8-year $160mill contract.  Unless Upton begs his agent to get get him an offer that pays slightly more barely more AAV annually than is received by his inferior older brother, and ends coinciding with his peak years, oh, and the raise the first 2 years must be minimal, and the remaining years are to be far below wahat comparable outfielders are receving.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Too bad he wanted NOTHING to do with Boston

False, he's professional baseball player and plays for living. His no trade clause was changed each year to reflect the big market teams that would be most likely to try and acquire him in a trade. It's leverage for a big extesnion. If the Red Sox had converted Ellsbury and his draft compensation, with any 3 or 4 players except Bradley, Bogearts and Barnes, they would have been able to aquire the rights to offer J. Upton a 100 million dollar extension that pays him until he's 33 years old. He would have accepted it and waived the no-trade cluase. It happens frequently.

The blowhards on here, including southpaux, claimed that J. Upton was overrated. In reality, most Red Sox fans did not want to use Ellsbury and the draft compesnation as currency to close this deal.

If Cherry wanted him, he could have trumped the Bravos and made the extension offer to close the daal. Instead, it's going to be Ellsbury for one final season and Shane for 3 more years.

J. Upton would have been a perfect fit in Fenway and the AL East. His career numbers would have exploded even more than they have in Atalanta.

Now that it's over, managment should convert Bogaerts to 3B, move Middlebrooks to 3rd for 2014, and put an end to this silly slugging SS nonsense. Bradley should take over CF for 2014, and Shane is here to stay. Unless Brentz or other slugging RH OF'er emerges, another year of Nava and Gomes will be the way to go.

Pure Drivel.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

False. The list is based on which big market teams are most likely to try and acquire him by trade. The Yankees were patently not one of those teams because they lacked the farm talent and trade currency to compete in the trade market. That list is set up so it is adjusted each year for the very reason that's it's leverage.

As for your claim that Middlebrooks had to go to compete with that weak offer from the Braves, that's quite false. Ellsbury and his draft compensation was adequate currency to match the great Prado rental. As for Webster, the Braves pitching farm discard wasn't elite so Webster could have been off the table in favor of De La Rosa.

I provided the details on the rankings for the Braves deal, which was weak like the Mariners. No one on this board, at the time, included you, claimed that it took much to get J. Upton in a trade. And it didn't.

The fact of the matter is that the Red Sox GM had no interest in J. Upton and signed Shane for 3 years instead. Bad move!

go back to talking about JB and his now .100 ba

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

False. The list is based on which big market teams are most likely to try and acquire him by trade. The Yankees were patently not one of those teams because they lacked the farm talent and trade currency to compete in the trade market. That list is set up so it is adjusted each year for the very reason that's it's leverage.

As for your claim that Middlebrooks had to go to compete with that weak offer from the Braves, that's quite false. Ellsbury and his draft compensation was adequate currency to match the great Prado rental. As for Webster, the Braves pitching farm discard wasn't elite so Webster could have been off the table in favor of De La Rosa.

I provided the details on the rankings for the Braves deal, which was weak like the Mariners. No one on this board, at the time, included you, claimed that it took much to get J. Upton in a trade. And it didn't.

The fact of the matter is that the Red Sox GM had no interest in J. Upton and signed Shane for 3 years instead. Bad move!

Sadly, you are incorrect.  Not shockingly, just sadly.

The Yankees certainly could have put together a package with prospects, having 3 in the top 100 (per Baseball America).  And they could have also dealt Curtis Granderson and HIS draft pick compensation (as he had not broken his arm by the time the deal went down).  Like Prado, the compensation for Granderson equals the compensation for Ellsbury, 1 sandwich pick.  you cannot argue Ellsbury plus draft pick plus garbage is better than Granderson plus draft pick plus garbage.

Prado signed a 4 year extension.   THerefore he is NOT a rental.

And while I was surpised at how little it took to get Upton, it was stil a better package than many give credit for, and easily equalld by the paltry package you keep insisting would have been enough.   The real issues that you are going to repeatedly ignore are 1) how much AZ cared about a draft pick compensation (history suggests not much, as they extended Prado), 2) how little AZ wanted outfielders (history again suggests not much, as there was not a single OF in the packages from Atl or Seattle).   Arizona clearly wanted infielders, and the packages combined for several (Franklin, Ahmed, Prado) and young pitching (Walker, DelGado).

So I gues you would have traded Middlebrooks for Upton.   Clearly Towers wanted and needed a 3B.  Personally, I am not so sure it would have been a bad move...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

ATL just better hope they can keep him interested all season. As soon as it became appearant that AZ wasn't a contender J Upton stopped caring, stopped playing hard.

So, you were inside his head last year?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

So, you were inside his head last year?

just the reports that came out of AZ last season. they said as soon as it became clear the DBacks weren't contenders it was like a switch flipped. J Upton became less engaged and started having a bad attitude. that's why i called him bad attitude upton all winter...

Sections
Shortcuts