Justin Upton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Justin Upton

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Where are the countless posters who said J Upton was over-rated?

i'll put my name to that.

ATL just better hope they can keep him interested all season. As soon as it became appearant that AZ wasn't a contender J Upton stopped caring, stopped playing hard.

So, you were inside his head last year?

just the reports that came out of AZ last season. they said as soon as it became clear the DBacks weren't contenders it was like a switch flipped. J Upton became less engaged and started having a bad attitude. that's why i called him bad attitude upton all winter...

You are dead wrong on this.

Justin's best OPS month in 2012 was September at .884.

.304  6  14 in 127 PAs. His 3rd best month was August at .774.

His weakest months were April, may and july (all between .726 and .733).

I'm not denying that there have been reports about his attitude, but I'll take .884 as "packing it in" any day of the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

7 home runs now hitting over .360 for the 1st place braves, good thing the sox passed up on him, definitely couldnt have used a right handed hitting outfielder with 30+ homer run ability and is just 25 years old. but hey lets sign johnny gomes instead.....ben and co are really going to have to hope the marlins change there stance on stanton and deal him at the deadline. 

To bad it's after the fact....Like you knew ??? Sure !!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

And they could have also dealt Curtis Granderson and HIS draft pick compensation

They also could have dealt Cano, but you are the only one delusional enough to think they were going to trade one of the best hitters from 2012.

Prado's a bum, why wouldn't he sign a cheap extension.

The Red Sox didn't need to send MIddlebrooks to provide enough currency to get a bum like Prado or Betemit. Cecchini and a retread would have taken care of it.

Way to deflect the point.  Of course, deflection is the only arrow in your quiver.

Cano had nothing to do with it.  Granderson - focus.  There were Granderson rumors all off-season.  There would be no reason to keep his potential free agent in NY, and they could have pacakged him and his draft pick to AZ.  Especially since you are arguing AZ wants and neds another draft pick.  The Yankees, with Upton, Garnder and Ichiro, could easily survive without Granderson and his lofty K totals.

Regardless, all reports had the DBacks asking for a SS, 3B or frontline SP.  Seattle offered them 2 (Walker and Franklin), Atlanta offered 2 (Prado and DelGado, and a SS Ahmed who is a few years away).  You offered none. 

The Sox could have had Upton, I find it believable.  The oiffer you keep insisting Towers would have taken is not believable.  Call him up yourself and ask him.

And then go back to telling people Bradley should not get demoted because Stephen Drew has a hole in his swing....

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Neverending clown absurdity.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Justin Upton was a steal at the price the Braves paid.

When the Red Sox were informed that Upton had veto'd any potential move to Boston, the correct thing to do was not move on.  He's too valuable of a commodity for too low of a price to give up that easily.  

When a salesman (and to be a good GM you have to be a good salesman) hears "no", he responds: "Why not?  I fear that you may have some misconceptions about Boston.  Why don't you let me take you out to a Bruins game and answer any questions that you may have.  We really want you and want to make this work."

I put myself through Bentley University selling credit cards over the phone.  Do you know how many times I heard "no" within the first minute of my pitch, but wound up making the sale?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Justin Upton was a steal at the price the Braves paid.

When the Red Sox were informed that Upton had veto'd any potential move to Boston, the correct thing to do was not move on.  He's too valuable of a commodity for too low of a price to give up that easily.  

When a salesman (and to be a good GM you have to be a good salesman) hears "no", he responds: "Why not?  I fear that you may have some misconceptions about Boston.  Why don't you let me take you out to a Bruins game and answer any questions that you may have.  We really want you and want to make this work."

I put myself through Bentley University selling credit cards over the phone.  Do you know how many times I heard "no" within the first minute of my pitch, but wound up making the sale?

Good morning Drewski5   :)

I like your way of thinking and I agree with you.  

I think a lobster salad sandwich, clam chowDA and a Patriots game will convince ANY player to come to Boston.    ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Too bad he wanted NOTHING to do with Boston

False, he's professional baseball player and plays for living. His no trade clause was changed each year to reflect the big market teams that would be most likely to try and acquire him in a trade. It's leverage for a big extesnion. If the Red Sox had converted Ellsbury and his draft compensation, with any 3 or 4 players except Bradley, Bogearts and Barnes, they would have been able to aquire the rights to offer J. Upton a 100 million dollar extension that pays him until he's 33 years old. He would have accepted it and waived the no-trade cluase. It happens frequently.

The blowhards on here, including southpaux, claimed that J. Upton was overrated. In reality, most Red Sox fans did not want to use Ellsbury and the draft compesnation as currency to close this deal.

If Cherry wanted him, he could have trumped the Bravos and made the extension offer to close the daal. Instead, it's going to be Ellsbury for one final season and Shane for 3 more years.

J. Upton would have been a perfect fit in Fenway and the AL East. His career numbers would have exploded even more than they have in Atalanta.

Now that it's over, managment should convert Bogaerts to 3B, move Middlebrooks to 3rd for 2014, and put an end to this silly slugging SS nonsense. Bradley should take over CF for 2014, and Shane is here to stay. Unless Brentz or other slugging RH OF'er emerges, another year of Nava and Gomes will be the way to go.

Actually I said inconsistent with monster potential. And its true. Just look at the numbers. nice misrepresentation though. Again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

These threads never cease to amaze me.  I might understand them if the Sox were, say, 4-8, and struggling.  But in fact the Sox are playing winning ball, so I'm happy focusing on the players we do have.   I remain convinced J. Upton was not available to the Sox, but, more importantly, I refuse to rant on and on and on about what might have been when the current reality--what is--ain't half bad. 

But go ahead.  Rant your hearts away about what might have been. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Justin Upton is a beast, but softy's trade proposals were laughable.  And of course we'll never really know if Upton would have waived his no trade clause even with an extension offer.

Sections
Shortcuts