Kalish Going Under The Knife...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Kalish Going Under The Knife...

In response to hill55's comment:

I'm not sure if it's related, but Ryan Sweeney returns to the Red Sox fold under a minor league contract, according to WEEI's Rob Bradford:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/01/25/red-sox-agree-to-minor-league-deal-with-of-ryan-sweeney/

its probably related. despite the lack of power i really liked Sweeney. plays great defense, versatile, plays with passion. The only bad thing you can say about him is that he has no power. but HRs aren't everything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Sweeney is good depth; however, they were looking to upgrade the position even before the injury

Someone that could play OF and 1B and bat lefty would fit real well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

I'm not sure if it's related, but Ryan Sweeney returns to the Red Sox fold under a minor league contract, according to WEEI's Rob Bradford:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/01/25/red-sox-agree-to-minor-league-deal-with-of-ryan-sweeney/

its probably related. despite the lack of power i really liked Sweeney. plays great defense, versatile, plays with passion. The only bad thing you can say about him is that he has no power. but HRs aren't everything.

Agreed, Sweeney is a nice insurance policy.  He'll battle with Nava for LF platoon unless they can miraculously find a decent, affordable 1B/COF.  Think this may also lead to signing either Overbay or Kotchman as backup 1B?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Unless this is something that just arose, I don't get why so many teams and players wait so long to have needed surgery. Why not have it in October?

Hope Our Med Staff Didnt Hold Off Thinking He Would Heal Over Winter.....

I am off the opinion that there should be a year-end closing procedure.

• Full medical
    • An exercise program to work on any physical weaknesses
    • A skills program to work on whatever might not have worked this year-going to your left, throwing, outside curves, inside heat, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Chances were not good Kalish was going to be our guy anyway. Unfortunately he is probably unlikely to ever be a starter at the mlb level IMO. He just didn't know when to hold up a little. He was out there diving for balls and not coming within 2 feet of them sometimes. He was an injury waiting to happen and they happened.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

But why did it show up now, and why wait until now to get it fixed?  Makes no sense.  I was rooting for the kid.  If he never has an injury again, he will be 26 before he can play at full strength again.  This could very well be the end of his career, at least as an important member and starter for the Red Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Unless this is something that just arose, I don't get why so many teams and players wait so long to have needed surgery. Why not have it in October?

• Full medical
    • A skills program to work on whatever might not have worked this year-going to your left, throwing, outside curves, inside heat, etc.

I agree.

I just heard Cory Heart will have surgery soon and miss 4 months. Had he done the surgery in October, he'd be ready for the season.

I don't get it and never did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I'm getting the feeling Kalish will NEVER play.  Pity we didn;t trade him to the A's

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

• Full medical

I agree.

I just heard Cory Heart will have surgery soon and miss 4 months. Had he done the surgery in October, he'd be ready for the season.

Unfortunately some players and their agents choose to put off surgery in the offseason so the player rehabs on company time. While many others try the rehab route trying to avoid going under the knife...

FYI Every team and all of the players have year end physicals and strength test throughout the season To measure how well they endure the rigors of a full season...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Aw man.  This kid can't catch a break.  Wonder what it is.

RIght with ya, Spaceman ... tough break

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Bumbling Ben and Larry the Hatchetman do it again. They went the less the expensive rout this year and depended on Ryan Kalish to be a factor and once again Ryan Kalish is hurt again, this time without stepping on the baseball diamond. I am so glad that we traded Josh Reddick and hung onto Ryan Kalish. How is that decision looking about not signing an established player like Cody Ross ? This guy (Kalish) is always hurt and its beginning to look like he is a bust. Well at least we got Ryan Sweeney back, best physique in baseball but cannot hit for power. Boy, is this going to be a long year in 2013 !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I feel bad for Kalish, the guy really looked like a player a few years ago.

Sweeney and Nava are not a horrible back up plan but Kalish actually gave me hope he might bust out this year.

Kinda sad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Whats sad is that management depended on this guy with his track record of injuries when there were established players on the market in the off season. Ben and Larry went the cheaper route on this kid because he is close to major league minimum. Another feather in Ben's cap or Larrys or whoever runs this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Bumbling Ben and Larry the Hatchetman do it again. They went the less the expensive rout this year and depended on Ryan Kalish to be a factor and once again Ryan Kalish is hurt again, this time without stepping on the baseball diamond. I am so glad that we traded Josh Reddick and hung onto Ryan Kalish. How is that decision looking about not signing an established player like Cody Ross ? This guy (Kalish) is always hurt and its beginning to look like he is a bust. Well at least we got Ryan Sweeney back, best physique in baseball but cannot hit for power. Boy, is this going to be a long year in 2013 !

AL....you dolt....dont you know that Cody Ross bats from the wrong side??? Our 69 win team surely cant use a solid outfielder, a dirtdog, and affordable player like that! Scour the dumpsters for someone who fits the Bill James profile STAT!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Kalish was competing for a spot...not guaranteed one...the starting outfield is Gomes, Elsbury and Victorino. Sweeney is signed to a minor league deal with an opt out clause if he doesn't make the 25 man roster...Code for spring training depth to replace Kalish. 

Reddick, is not even guaranteed to start for the A's and certainly won't be in the lineup against lefties given the acquisition of Chris Young along with Cespedes and Crisp...I think it's time to let go of the Reddick deal, he's an A and if you look at his splits from last year he pretty much mirrored what he did with the Sox started fast and then faded in the second half. A good ball player but hardly an impact player. Split milk...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Whats sad is that management depended on this guy with his track record of injuries when there were established players on the market in the iff season. Ben and Larry went the cheaper route on this kid because he is lose to major league minimum. Another feather in Ben's cap or Larrys. 

No, it's sad when a young player with lots of promise gets derailed by injuries. I think it is okay to acknowledge that.  Now you can continue freaking out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Never brought into that left handed right handed crap, a good ball player is a good player whether left handed or right handed, you dolt. Lets not go after Josh Hamilton in the offseason and go the cheap route on what we have in the minor leagues who come up at major league minimum.

In response to georom4's comment:

AL....you dolt....dont you know that Cody Ross bats from the wrong side??? Our 69 win team surely cant use a solid outfielder, a dirtdog, and affordable player like that! Scour the dumpsters for someone who fits the Bill James profile STAT!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Whats that his third surgery in three year ? Shouler surgeries are tough to rehab back from especially with the swinging of a bat which puts added stress on a shoulder. I liked Reddick in 2011, thought he came up with some big hits as a rookie player. Feel bad for Kalish but what did Billy Beane see in Reddick that our management did not ? So our guys hung onto Kalish and dumped off Reddick. Bet Reddicks 30 something homeruns would have helped last year.

did notIn response to snakeoil123's comment:

Whats sad is that management depended on this guy with his track record of injuries when there were established players on the market in the iff season. Ben and Larry went the cheaper route on this kid because he is lose to major league minimum. Another feather in Ben's cap or Larrys. 

No, it's sad when a young player with lots of promise gets derailed by injuries. I think it is okay to acknowledge that.  Now you can continue freaking out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Reddick, is not even guaranteed to start for the A's and certainly won't be in the lineup against lefties given the acquisition of Chris Young along with Cespedes and Crisp...

Well, this isn't correct at all

Cespedes and Reddick are going to play every day.  Young might spell either of them every 10 days or so. 

Young and crisp whould be an interesting playoon situation - but Reddick and Cespedes start the year as everyday players. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Looks like the Sox have their 'Jed Lowrie' back.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

• Full medical

I agree.

Unless these are injuries incurred during workouts.  Unfortunately players like to go the rest and rehab route, which takes a long time, instead of the surgery route.  Most people out there do, too.  

Sports is so calendar-driven, and don't wait for injuries.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

rest/rehab is preferable to surgery...thats all i can say in defense of team doctors...but they have a seriosuly spotty record of healing players

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pelosireturns's comment:

Circumcision

Not true. This could not affect his swing. It is a well known fact that there is only one good reason for circumcisions, and it is this: because without circumcisions, there would BE no calamari.

25. This post has been removed.