keep gonzo out of outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

keep gonzo out of outfield

gonzo does not belong in the outfield at all.i know he will get hurt i can just feel it.the sox should just alternate big papi and gonzo every other game.
    i hate interleague play anyway and i want to keep all of the sox players healthy
    if we drop some games who cares.if gonzo goes down the sox are all done.
    it will be just another coma moment and lacking needs to go to pawtucket
    for about a month.    love ya sox

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: keep gonzo out of outfield

Let me first say that all the arguments against doing this make a lot of sense, but I am forced to ask:  why is Francona even saying it's a possibility? 

Here's why. 

First, AGon has thrived on playing every single game to date.  He leads the Majors in RBI's and nearly leads in batting average.  So I think there is no way Francona rests AGon more than the days off already on the schedule (like today).  The drop off with Ortiz at 1B and batting for AGon would be too significant.  Combine that point with the second point just below. 

Second, the San Diego series demonstrates that, even with Ortiz in the lineup, the Sox hitting can be "shut down" (relatively speaking) for two of three games at Fenway, a hitter's park.  The Sox top seven run producers are AGon, Ortiz, Youk, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Crawford, and Lowrie.  But two of them are on the DL, and Ortiz relegated to pinch-hitting means the the Sox will be playing in NL parks with just 4 of their top 7 hitters and with the starting pitcher batting 9th.   NL teams are comfortable with no DH, but AL teams and especially the Red Sox are not.    And don't forget six of the nine road games are against the the Pirates and Phillies, both with good pitching staffs.  In fact, the Phillies staff is the best in baseball. 

Third, it would be great if the Sox had great pitching to supplement the great hitting (best in MLB), but they don't, as losing 2 of 3 to the non-hitting Padres just demonstrated.  And don't forget that Buchholz has back issues and Beckett is taking almost two weeks between his last start and his next.   I do like the top five starters--Beckett, Buchholz, Lester, Wakefield, and Miller--but think they are starting to look a little unhealthy.  Plus, good as Miller looked in his first start (and before that at Pawtucket), he is still a young guy with a history of control problems. 

Fifth, AGon played right field for more than one game because early on he played it in a winter league.  He has the hands and the arm and the experience, even if he is slow as molasses.  Just as important, he is willing to try it because he really likes being on a winning club and a bonafide shot at a WS ring.  He is smart and will not not risk running into a wall or whatever.  He will be worlds better than Youk was several years ago in LF. 

Sixth, Ortiz ain't no AGon at 1B, but he has played it decently.  Before the DH was created, 1B was where old outfielders who could still hit were put.  Back in the day, there was no such thing as a defensive firstbaseman because that was a hitter's position.  Today the best ones are good in the field and at the plate. 

Seventh, getting Ortiz into the lineup is good for his and everyone else's morale. 

Eighth, think of this as preparation for the World Series.  These nine games are the only chance Francona has to test this lineup--with AGon in RF and Ortiz at 1B.  Right now this team sure looks like it has a good shot at getting there, especially with three quality starters (plus maybe Miller).  But, once there, I find it hard to believe that, if Ortiz still has an OPS over 1.000, Francona isn't going to want to play him in NL parks.  Now is the time to find out how that looks.  

Finally, I think Francona will be cautious about doing this.  He will start out by picking the right game with the right opposing pitcher and the smallest/easiest right field and against a team where he thinks Ortiz will be needed in the lineup.  If both guys look comfortable in their new roles, he might just do it again and possibly one more time--but I think two games is probably the limit. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I just see the one negative- a possible injury- outweighs all the positives listed above

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

You're absolutely right.  Injury is definitely a risk.  And that's why Francona should also consider not playing AGon at all and letting Ortiz play first because the Pujols injury shows that playing first is too risky. 

No position is risk free.  Last year the Sox lost two leftfielders because Beltran ran over them.  What were the chances of that happening?  They lost Pedroia for half a season because he fouled off a pitch that broke his foot.  Right now Buchholz is on the DL because of his back, Crawford because of his hamstring, Beckett has a nasty flu bug, Lowrie's shoulder is bad, etc. 

You want risk free?  Try curling or ping-pong. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: keep gonzo out of outfield:
      I just see the one negative- a possible injury- outweighs all the positives listed above
    Posted by attic-dan

plus you're down grading 2 defensive positions

I don't think they are that desperate will do it

but the fact that they are thinking about it

should end any positive thoughts about mr drew

and what about agon trashing drew by suggesting he play in the OF

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

You're absolutely right.  Injury is definitely a risk.  And that's why Francona should also consider not playing AGon at all and letting Ortiz play first because the Pujols injury shows that playing first is too risky.  No position is risk free.  Last year the Sox lost two leftfielders because Beltran ran over them.  What were the chances of that happening?  They lost Pedroia for half a season because he fouled off a pitch that broke his foot.  Right now Buchholz is on the DL because of his back, Crawford because of his hamstring, Beckett has a nasty flu bug, Lowrie's shoulder is bad, etc.  You want risk free?  Try curling or ping-pong. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Your actually making my arguement it is a given that injuries are a part of the game why increase that chance by playing out of position the risk is slight I'll admit but why chance it at this stage of the season get through these next nine games by giving A-Gon a blow here and there so Ortiz can get some at bats and not sit for nine straight games

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Agon and papi can alt first base and with pinch hitting duties, there should be enough at bats to go around - experimenting w/rf is dumb because we would NOT do that in the world series....we should play it now as we would play it then...were not talking about 20 games here..we can survive these 9 games or so-

and all you people talking about agon getting hurt need to SHUTUP and stop cursing us!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

god how dumb can you people be   geeeesh if Adrian Gonzalez can play right field then we can finally trade that lousy J.D Drew who we can maybe package with Dice-K and Lackey for Hanley ramirez and then we can just Sign Albert Pujols next year to play first base.

Sincerely,

The mind of a fan with no brain. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

You're absolutely right.  Injury is definitely a risk.  And that's why Francona should also consider not playing AGon at all and letting Ortiz play first because the Pujols injury shows that playing first is too risky.  No position is risk free.  Last year the Sox lost two leftfielders because Beltran ran over them.  What were the chances of that happening?  They lost Pedroia for half a season because he fouled off a pitch that broke his foot.  Right now Buchholz is on the DL because of his back, Crawford because of his hamstring, Beckett has a nasty flu bug, Lowrie's shoulder is bad, etc.  You want risk free?  Try curling or ping-pong. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

I don't know. Curling can be dangerous walking up and down the ice. One slip and ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Posted by maxbialystock

Beltre

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am alot more worrid about one of our pitchers getting hurt in these 9 games, batting or running the bases, then I am of AGON getting hurt playing right field. As stated by others, players get hurt in any and all ways....I havent seen statistics, but I bet alot more injuries occur running the bases or fouling off balls then does just running and catching a ball in the OF....I dont see Agon laying out for line drives or crashing into walls.....and I am sure he will yield to Ellsbury on everything. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I think it's paranoid to worry that playing in RF would injure Gonzalez. He could get hurt just as easily playing first base, running the bases, or rolling out of bed the wrong way. He's a professional athlete. He knows how to take care of himself. He knows how to stretch. He knows the limitations of his own body. He's played out there before. He's not going to injure himself by virtue of playing out of position for a few days.

I'm more worried about Gonzalez embarrassing himself in the outfield like Kevin Youkilis did during his handful of games in LF. If Gonzalez's defense (or lack thereof) negates his anticipated offensive contributions, then I'd rather keep him at first base and put a competent outfielder in RF. Thus, the question should be whether 8 at-bats of Gonzalez and Ortiz are worth more than 5 at-bats (4 for whoever starts at 1B, 1 for whoever pinch-hits for the pitcher) plus good outfield defense from Drew. That's a difficult question to answer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

The rotation should be to give Youk 2 games off at 3rd and have AGon play over there for 2 games. Agon should rest one of the first two and last two games, putting him as a pinch hitter defensive sub for Ortiz to keep his "every game streak" going.

Putting a guy in the OF, where he almost never plays, is a high risk formula for a wheel injury. Pretty simple to have AGon play 3rd for 2 games, just like Mattingly did a time or two.

Youk is the hottest hand, at the moment, with Ortiz cold the last few games. But Youk has a wobbly wheel and should get the most time off.

Youk 7 games at 3rd pinch hit defense sub 2 days
    AGon 5 games at 1st 2 games at 3rd  2 days pinch hitter/defensive sub
    Ortiz 4 games at 1st  pinch hitter 4 days

Ortiz is the oldest guy and coldest bat in the last few games. It keeps him from long sitting two games in a row, and still allows him to pinch hit in the off day games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

In Response to keep gonzo out of outfield:
    gonzo does not belong in the outfield at all.i know he will get hurt i can just feel it.the sox should just alternate big papi and gonzo every other game. i hate interleague play anyway and i want to keep all of the sox players healthy if we drop some games who cares.if gonzo goes down the sox are all done. it will be just another coma moment and lacking needs to go to pawtucket for about a month.    love ya sox
    Posted by soxyjim

Nah, he'll be fine.  The defense will suffer, but a few games there will not be a problem.  He could get running out a grounder just as easily if not more so.  Just instruct him not to run into any walls or teammates.  If the Sox had a big lead in the standings, I would say it's not necessary to keep both Ortiz and Gonzo in the lineup.  But that's not the case.  They need to try to keep their momentum going or regain after losing 2 of 3 to S.D. 

As far as interleague.  I disagree again.  It makes June a much more interesting month.  Who wants to see the A's or the Mariners again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

god how dumb can you people be   geeeesh if Adrian Gonzalez can play right field then we can finally trade that lousy J.D Drew who we can maybe package with Dice-K and Lackey for Hanley ramirez and then we can just Sign Albert Pujols next year to play first base. Sincerely, The mind of a fan with no brain. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Dumb answer or reply. What makes you think that any team would want J.D.Drew a rightfielder on his last legs, Dice K in need of Tommy John surgery needing atleast a year of rehab with an uncertain future and Lackey who has been very inconsistant at best in trade for an All-Star quality player. 

Hetchinspete.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: keep gonzo out of outfield : Dumb answer or reply. What makes you think that any team would want J.D.Drew a rightfielder on his last legs, Dice K in need of Tommy John surgery needing atleast a year of rehab with an uncertain future and Lackey who has been very inconsistant at best in trade for an All-Star quality player.  Hetchinspete.   
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I'm sorry....I thought it was obvious I was completely 100% being sarcastic. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

WHY NOT PLAY GONZALEZ IN LF

MUCH EASIER THAN RF

ESPECIALLY IN HOUSTON

STUPID STUPID FRANCONA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Interesting.  I think I just read an authoritative statement by betterdead that, rather than play AGon in right field, Francona should play him at 3B.  Just exactly when was the last time a lefty played 3B? That is just plain dumb. 

If you go back and actually read my admittedly lengthy post, it began with two points:  the arguments against playing AGon in RF make sense; but there must be a rationale for why Francona is even considering that move.  I tried to provide that rationale.  But I ended by saying that Francona would probably do it just once to see how it looked--and, if it looked OK, he might do it a second time. 

And, frankly, if he doesn't send AGon to RF, I don't see Ortiz getting into the lineup at all.  AGon is not tired and right now he is the best hitter in MLB.  He's sitting today and there's another off day on Monday--and the All-Star break is just around the corner.    Resting him to jam Ortiz, a lesser hitter and lesser fielder, into the lineup makes no sense. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: keep gonzo out of outfield : I'm sorry....I thought it was obvious I was completely 100% being sarcastic. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Hey ct,

Sorry for over reacting. Didn't get the sarcasm. We get so many trolls posting stupidity on Boston.com it's getting difficult to see sarcasm. Aplogies my freind.

Hetchinspete 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

To name one, Mattingly played 3rd. When was the last time you expressed an intelligent thought.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

That's true, Don Mattingly started two games at third base in 1986. As in, a quarter of a century ago ... a year after Daniel Bard was born.

Clearly, that proves it's a good idea to put Gonzalez at third base.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: keep gonzo out of outfield : Hey ct, Sorry for over reacting. Didn't get the sarcasm. We get so many trolls posting stupidity on Boston.com it's getting difficult to see sarcasm. Aplogies my freind. Hetchinspete 
    Posted by Hetchinspete

Lol it's ok, and I know what you mean in terms of Trolls posting stupidity,  I thought it would be fun to post my own garbage and maybe get a few laughs out of it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Right now, I'm travelng with my corpsemen to all 59 states. It's now time to nation build here in the 59 states. The war is over, and I've just given the order to release most of the strategic fuel reserves to cut into the profits of greedy big oil. I only need until the end of 2013 to complete my work in creating shovel ready jobs. I'm almost finished, but I need 5 total years to do the job I was elected to do. My views on homosexual conduct are evolving, but I won't be able to agree on same sex marriage rights until the second week of November, 2012. I hear you, just let me have another year and half for my views to evolve. 

Clearly, there is a sound basis in playing AGon in right field. The fact that Mattingly played 3rd is no basis at all for playing AGon there for 2 games. Much wiser to have him chasing fly balls in right field. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I disagree, there is NO reason to put Gonzales in the outfield.  

Gonzo starts 2 of 3 in each of the NL parks... he comes in and gets at least 1 AB in the 2 to 3 games that he does not start.

Ortiz gets 3 starts, and gets at least 1 AB in each of the other games off the bench.  

Lets face it there will be games where the Red Sox score 10 plus runs, and it would be easy to get 2 or 3 at bats for each of them in at least one game.

The risk that Ortiz gets cold is marginal, but the implications of Gonzales getting hurt in the outfield just for the sake of inter-league play would be devastating.  

In addition Gonzo is a slow runner thus he would make a poor outfielder, and Ortiz is not a defensive plus at 1st... starting them both weakens you defensively.

It is too bad Youk cannot be the one to get 3 games off, if Gonzo was an experienced third-baseman it would be sweet. Kevin surely could use some rest... and we will never ask for it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Losing Youk for 3 games is rough, especially if the team is facing LH pitching.
    Youk has more RBI's than Papi, and a better OBP.
    Against southpaws, Youk is hitting .320 with an amazing 1.036 OPS.

Sections
Shortcuts