Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/sports/baseball/kei-igawa-the-lost-yankee.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

Re: Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee

In Response to Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee:
    [QUOTE]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/sports/baseball/kei-igawa-the-lost-yankee.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

With Pedro Martinez taking off to the Mets and Derek Lowe going to the West Coast for the Dodgers, Epstein needed to re-tool his pitching staff.

Theo went out and signed Matt Clement for the 2005 season.

Clement got off to an unbelievable start with the Sox, going 10-2 with a 3.85 ERA and making the All Star team.

Then on July 26, 2005, Clement was beaned in the head with a line drive, in Tampa. Clement recovered but was never really the same. He went 3-3 with a 6.00 ERA the rest of the way and was shelled in his only outing of the 2005 playoffs.

2006 was a disaster for Clement, as he went 5-5 with a 6.61 ERA, before having season ending shoulder surgery.

Clement was released after the 2007 season and has never pitched an inning since 2006.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I read the article. I feel bad for the guy. I have a new found respect for him because he's not taking the easy way out. Its too bad that no matter how he performs, he'll never see the Bronx again as a Yankee. I hope he gets a shot with another organization.

Some may argue that I shouldnn't feel bad for a guy making $4 mil per year in the minors. Its not his fault that the Yankees front office made a terrible move signing this guy in an obvious attempt to counter the Dice-K signing by the Red Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

In Response to Re: Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee:
    [QUOTE]I read the article. I feel bad for the guy. I have a new found respect for him because he's not taking the easy way out. Its too bad that no matter how he performs, he'll never see the Bronx again as a Yankee. I hope he gets a shot with another organization. Some may argue that I shouldnn't feel bad for a guy making $4 mil per year in the minors. Its not his fault that the Yankees front office made a terrible move signing this guy in an obvious attempt to counter the Dice-K signing by the Red Sox.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

No, but it is not the Yankees fault that he's not good enough to pitch in the majors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee : No, but it is not the Yankees fault that he's not good enough to pitch in the majors.
    Posted by -The--Babe----------[/QUOTE]

Right, but it's their fault they put 46 million on a guy not good enough to pitch in the majors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee : Right, but it's their fault they put 46 million on a guy not good enough to pitch in the majors.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

absolutely.....but it happens....look at burnett and lackey

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"Because his English is limited, Igawa travels everywhere with an interpreter, Subaru Takeshita (pronounced tah-kah-SHE-tah)."

Are there really people that have to be told how to pronounce names as simple as "Takeshita"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee : absolutely.....but it happens....look at burnett and lackey

Sure.  What makes the Igawa signing unique isn't that it was a huge overspend, but that it was the only time that kind of money went out the door on a guy who was at no time a major league caliber player.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I feel bad for Igawa, hopefully he can find a place to pitch in the bigs, maybe in the west coast?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]"Because his English is limited, Igawa travels everywhere with an interpreter, Subaru Takeshita (pronounced tah-kah-SHE-tah)." Are there really people that have to be told how to pronounce names as simple as "Takeshita"?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Pronunciations are important because each language has different rules. In Spanish, most names are accented on the second syllable. E is pronounced as an A. So the above name would be tah-kay-she-tah. In many languaged certain letters are silent. Do you pronounce Favre in Brett Favre as it is spelt. If you do then you are wrong. The correct pronunciation is Farve.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kei Igawa - The Lost Yankee : No, but it is not the Yankees fault that he's not good enough to pitch in the majors.

From the article:

Asked last week to assess Igawa’s five years in the Yankee organization, General Manager Brian Cashman answered: “It was a disaster. We failed.”