Keith Law on the Victorino Signing - I agree wholeheartedly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Keith Law on the Victorino Signing - I agree wholeheartedly

Victorino is a platoon outfielder at this point, and paying him $13 million a year, even with the rapid salary escalation we're seeing this offseason, is mad as pants. His bat speed was noticeably slower in 2012, especially later in the season, and despite being a switch-hitter, he doesn't really hit right-handed pitching: 

Against RHP 
    2012: .230/.295/.332 
    2011: .271/.333/.456 
    2010: .235/.306/.386 

That's a .244/.311/.390 composite line over 1,388 plate appearances, and at age 32 he's extremely unlikely to suddenly learn how to hit from the left side. Victorino delivers the bulk of his value in the 150 or so plate appearances he gets against left-handed pitching each year and should be platooned against most right-handers, which means the Red Sox just paid $13 million a year for the equivalent of a fourth outfielder.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Keith Law on the Victorino Signing - I agree wholeheartedly

To early to tell !!!  More changes in roster coming !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, if you try to look at the last three years stats of Victorino and Ellsbury, Victorino had like 700 more AB's than Ellsbury.  Had Ellsbury play full year in the last three years, who know that he would have wear and tear on him where his stats would lower than his actual ones!

These writers need to stop looking at average, etc.  Can they look at how many games he played in, how many outfield assits, how many games he helped the team win the game, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Plus, even with the low average, Victorino's OBP vs RHP is over .300.  He works the count better than almost anyone the Sox had in their lineup last season.  I think the deal for Napoli is the more outrageous over pay of the two, considering the options out there for 1bman with similar OBP, power and defensive skills that are as good or better than Napoli's. 

The OF market was being driven by what Bourn and Upton will get and fears that once they both sign the market will see hyper-inflation, and that to get the guy you want you might have to over pay to get a shorter term deal.  If Ben had waited the whole thing out and ended up signing the scrap pieces left over (Sweeney redux, anyone?) you'd have been just as critical.  As would Law, I suppose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

A day when he can't bash the Sox is a wasted day for ADG.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Keith Law... You know, he writes for the MTV of Sports. Impressive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A day when he can't bash the Sox is a wasted day for ADG.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are right I bashed them last year big time, bashing Beckett, Youk, etc. Where did the team finish with the $190M payroll? Did they deserve bashing? What about Beckett, did he deserve bashing? 

You drink too much red and blue Kool Aid carnie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

When is everyone going to realize that Ben Cherington doesn't have a clue as to what a GM does.

He just signed 3 platoon players and gave them starter's salaries. He is artificially inflating the value of medicore players which will eventually price smaller market teams right out of competition.

The other GMs must be livid! And rightly so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When is everyone going to realize that Ben Cherington doesn't have a clue as to what a GM does.

He just signed 3 platoon players and gave them starter's salaries. He is artificially inflating the value of medicore players which will eventually price smaller market teams right out of competition.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't there a Dodgers' forum somewhere you can annoy?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To early to tell !!!  More changes in roster coming !!

[/QUOTE]

We have a bingo !!!!!!!!! B8 for starting pitching, I have a B8 for starting pitching, and I heard a bingo to that starter wearing a red sox jersey sitting in the far back tables.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

I like the deal. Victor is a high skilled guy. I don't care about the money side of things, I care more about the length of contract and its short.   Also, Ells will be gone this year and Victor moves back to his natural position CF. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the deal. Victor is a high skilled guy. I don't care about the money side of things, I care more about the length of contract and its short.   Also, Ells will be gone this year and Victor moves back to his natural position CF. 

[/QUOTE]

I believe that spot belongs to JBJ.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right, I young fast rookie along with an experience runner can teach and mentor the kid.

What I do like about Ells and Vict. this year, is it will add much speed to the top of the line up. If these 2 can get on base regularly more runs will be produce. The question is where will Victorino be the batting line up. I am thinking, Ells Ped Victorino Napoli Papi so far being the top of the order.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

the phills are in a bad way for a CF and probably could have signed victorino for less than the sox did but passed him by.This can't be a good sign.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, the braves dished out 15M per for BJ Upton which set the market for OF'ers. Maybe your anger should be directed at Wren and not BC. Thanks for the input though :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right, I young fast rookie along with an experience runner can teach and mentor the kid.

What I do like about Ells and Vict. this year, is it will add much speed to the top of the line up. If these 2 can get on base regularly more runs will be produce. The question is where will Victorino be the batting line up. I am thinking, Ells Ped Victorino Napoli Papi so far being the top of the order.

[/QUOTE]

I would think maybe 7th

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

look  there,s gonna be a trade or something  they  gotta be tradeing jacoby for pitching  and then  sighn cody ross but i hope they jump on it fast though