Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time?

Sasying something in passing to the manager about playing more and actually complaining can be two very different things.

Who knows which Shoppach might have done.  At least he did not go to the press with his playing time issues.

Also, remembre that most all of these guys are type A, highly motivated guys (or they wouldn't be where they are), were stars of some sort in their younger days and still are very competitive people (even if considered a back up catcher.  Not easy to not want to play, and if a guy really did not want to play would you really want him on your team.

I am sure that Shoppach would play any position available just to get on the field although I have never heard before that he is anything but a catcher.  Playing is part of what a competitive athlete is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

A. Shoppach is, by all reports, a great team-fist attitude kind of guy.

B.  I have zero problem with a guy who wants more playing time and is a little frustrated by sitting on the bench.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i guess the link you deleted didn't support that...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time? : I tried to post a link to Massarotti's column (written today), but for some reason it didn't work.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE] hey Dave, i tried it too, and the page wouldn't come up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It can only be good when a catcher wants more PT.  Tough job. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Good for Kelly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Signed as a back up and he knew it when he inked the contract.  Be a back up, do your job and be prepared. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Of course, he wants to play but he must be one dim bulb to sign as a back-up and then be surprised to sit when the starter is on fire.

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/McAdam-It-may-be-time-to-shop-Shoppach?blockID=713264&feedID=3352

It was Shoppach's first start since the first series of the trip and Bobby Valentine made mention of the fact that Shoppach had come into his office on Tuesday to inquire why he wasn't playing more.

Valentine managed to reveal that Shoppach "left (the office) angry.''

It's a poorly kept secret that Valentine was not a backer of Shoppach in spring training and had argued, in vain, to go with a combination of Saltalamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]Signed as a back up and he knew it when he inked the contract.  Be a back up, do your job and be prepared. 
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

Well, he probably figured it would just be a matter of time before the Sox realized what a defensive liability Saltalamacchia was. Unfortunately, he started to hit a little bit so they are sacrificing defense for now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time? : Well, he probably figured it would just be a matter of time before the Sox realized what a defensive liability Saltalamacchia was. Unfortunately, he started to hit a little bit so they are sacrificing defense for now.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]
    You are joking, of course. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Shopp wanted to know why he wasn't starting with lefty Matusz on the mound which is a fair enough question.  Especially fair given that there was a lefty for the night game to be followed by a righty for the day game.  Obviously, BV had his own plans which apparently placed greater value on giving Salty two days off in a row than he values following the L/R platoon.  That's fine, he's the manager.  It's also fine that Shopp has a desire to play and went to talk to his manager.  Mazz spun this into meaning Shopp not a team player ... its unspeakably silly.  Shopp knew Salty wasn't going to catch a night+day game combo especially when it involved a lefty so he asked.  He might have even been pissed about it.  That's great, he has a fire in his belly.

And for all the "if he doesn't like being a back up then cut him" tough guy talk ... take a look at offensive stats of Salty and Shoppach and tell me which is better.  Which has the track record as a better defensive catcher?  Which one of them has been helped more by the L/R platoon so far this year?  Now, let's stop the soap opera drama and get back to baseball.  Sheesh!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Complaining may have been Bobby's word, but I am sure he was understandably surprised when Bobby didnt play him in the second game versus the Lefty Matusz. Playing against lefties is one of the reasons he is on our Roster. Of course Bobby plays him the next day against a righty(which for some reason he is hitting better than lefties in a small sample size this year) and he hits a HR against a righty reliever....so maybe Shopp will just have to trust Bobbys instincts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Much to do about nothing but sooner or later Valentine is either going to learn to pick and choose what he says and how he says it to the mediots in Boston or there will continue to be a steady stream of these "stir the pot" stories from the likes of CHB and Mazzhole.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]Much to do about nothing but sooner or later Valentine is either going to learn to pick and choose what he says and how he says it to the mediots in Boston or there will continue to be a steady stream of these "stir the pot" stories from the likes of CHB and Mazzhole.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    Five stars for using "mediots" and "Mazzhole" in the same post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Shopp wanted to know why he wasn't starting with lefty Matusz on the mound which is a fair enough question.  Especially fair given that there was a lefty for the night game to be followed by a righty for the day game.  Obviously, BV had his own plans which apparently placed greater value on giving Salty two days off in a row than he values following the L/R platoon.  That's fine, he's the manager.  It's also fine that Shopp has a desire to play and went to talk to his manager.  Mazz spun this into meaning Shopp not a team player ... its unspeakably silly.  Shopp knew Salty wasn't going to catch a night+day game combo especially when it involved a lefty so he asked.  He might have even been pissed about it.  That's great, he has a fire in his belly. And for all the "if he doesn't like being a back up then cut him" tough guy talk ... take a look at offensive stats of Salty and Shoppach and tell me which is better.  Which has the track record as a better defensive catcher?  Which one of them has been helped more by the L/R platoon so far this year?  Now, let's stop the soap opera drama and get back to baseball.  Sheesh!!!
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]
    One must assume that "track record" includes at least the last several weeks of this season. That is NOW. 
    Salty is doing very well with the glove and with his pitchers. You want the manager to overlook what he's seeing with his own eyes because the backup catcher had the better reputation?  That would be an odd way to manage -- from a record book instead of from what is happening on the field of play. 
    Things could change. But right now any manager who didn't go big with Salty on both offense and defense -- especially the latter -- would qualify for a session on the couch.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time? : You are joking, of course. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Couldn't be more serious. Salty is a hack on defense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

He might have even been pissed about it.  That's great, he has a fire in his belly. And for all the "if he doesn't like being a back up then cut him" tough guy talk ... take a look at offensive stats of Salty and Shoppach and tell me which is better.  Which has the track record as a better defensive catcher?  Which one of them has been helped more by the L/R platoon so far this year?  Now, let's stop the soap opera drama and get back to baseball.  Sheesh!!!

111 I disagree on Shop / Salty.

I agree Mazz is a dud and I haven't read him since his love affair with Teix.  I doubt he has written a mea culpa piece on that topic.

Shoppach has only hit LHP:  
    2011   .431 vs RHP  113 AB 
    2010  .422 vs RHP 70 AB    
    2009   .653 vs RHP  215 AB

With 70% RHP in MLB  Salty is much more valuable player, even if shop is a better catcher.  Then you factor in Salty is 5 years younger!!!

wRC+   2010 - now

Salty      100
    Shop        86

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, dont be too excite if Lavarnway is finally call up at the same time Shoppach is traded.  Cuz Lavarnway isnt going to get alot of playing time.  Valentine is going to keep doing what he have been doing in the last two weeks meaning Salty is going to play 80 to 90% of the time.

So what should Boston do?  Leave Lavarnway in the minor league to just play every day, and Boston find another back up veteran catcher?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

buh bye kelly...good luck STARTING for anyone...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Ex & Tom - I may have been unclear and think you misunderstood me.  I wasn't trying to say Shopp is better than Salty overall.  I like Salty and I liked the Sox taking a gamble on him.  I REALLY like the Salty/Shopp platoon for this year.  I just think that Mazz and everyone jumping on his bandwagon are incredibly silly.  I was trying to point out that Shopp has been more than an average back up catcher and a big part of his value has been taking the vLHP at bats from Salty which have made Salty look even better.  This is not the 2007 version of Tek/Mirabelli.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time? : Couldn't be more serious. Salty is a hack on defense.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]
    Ah, nuts, I was hoping you were kidding around. Just so I might pay a little attention to what you post, at least in passing. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Ex & Tom - I may have been unclear and think you misunderstood me.  I wasn't trying to say Shopp is better than Salty overall.  I like Salty and I liked the Sox taking a gamble on him.  I REALLY like the Salty/Shopp platoon for this year.  I just think that Mazz and everyone jumping on his bandwagon are incredibly silly.  I was trying to point out that Shopp has been more than an average back up catcher and a big part of his value has been taking the vLHP at bats from Salty which have made Salty look even better.  This is not the 2007 version of Tek/Mirabelli.
    The problem I had is that you cited "track record" to make a comment about a dynamic situation instead of saying, for example, that, IYO ( legitimate ) Kelly is the superior ( far superior? ) defender still.
    IMO, Salty's track record when it now counts has been very good -- in all phases of the game. Bandwagon aside, I have been saying this about Salty for some time this season ( see exchange between me and Moon, who will man up on any issue when he thinks he should. ) I have tracked his pitch-calling carefully and watched him scoop up or stop pitch after pitch in the dirt -- and block the plate beautifully when Hannahan tried to score.
    Salty could regress. Players do. But I'd be a little surprised. We'll see.
    Fair enough. Let's continue to talk about this one. It could be a great story -- and great for the Sox. Or....

Sections
Shortcuts