Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time?

KS has set a modern day record by striking out in every single AB so far this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Much ado about nothing, as others have said.

I can just hear Mazz squeaking about it for several hours though.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'd rather have a player complain about not playing then a lint ball like Ellsbury collecting his welfare check every month.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

So the team is winning more and...

Shoppach complains about his playing time..

Ortiz complains about respect.....

And some fans and the media make fun of Valentine for saying this team could win the title.

Typical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time?:
    [QUOTE]This is according to Tony Massarotti, who draws a contrast between Shoppach and Adrian Gonzalez, who recently told Bob Valentine to play him wherever he wants.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

And this is why Tony Massarotti is such a worthless journalist. Is he really that desperate for a story? It’s because of him I have abandoned my policy of not trashing Globe sportswriters on their own website.

First of all, as others have stated, all bench players should want to play more.

But to compare his request to a guy who is in the lineup everyday is beyond laughable, and about as far as Masserotti can reach to find some way to spin the story negatively. What’s tomorrow’s storyline from Mazzster of Diazzster? That Aceves is a selfish teammate because he is hording all the saves? To me, the rest of the story is, why isn’t, say, Punto also asking for more playing time? (Not that I necessarily want him to get it.)

I am proposing an open question to Tony Massarotti - is there any length to which you will not go to paint a grim picture of this team? Will you not be satisfied as long as you suspect that somewhere out there, someone still might be enjoying baseball and the 2012 Boston Red Sox?

I eagerly await your response…

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time? : And this is why Tony Massarotti is such a worthless journalist. Is he really that desperate for a story? It’s because of him I have abandoned my policy of not trashing Globe sportswriters on their own website. First of all, as others have stated, all bench players should want to play more. But to compare his request to a guy who is in the lineup everyday is beyond laughable, and about as far as Masserotti can reach to find some way to spin the story negatively. What’s tomorrow’s storyline from Mazzster of Diazzster? That Aceves is a selfish teammate because he is hording all the saves? To me, the rest of the story is, why isn’t, say, Punto also asking for more playing time? (Not that I necessarily want him to get it.) I am proposing an open question to Tony Massarotti - is there any length to which you will not go to paint a grim picture of this team? Will you not be satisfied as long as you suspect that somewhere out there, someone still might be enjoying baseball and the 2012 Boston Red Sox? I eagerly await your response…
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Terrific

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]A. Shoppach is, by all reports, a great team-fist attitude kind of guy. B.  I have zero problem with a guy who wants more playing time and is a little frustrated by sitting on the bench.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space, gay may be, as you've stated before, great, but don't you think this might be going a bit too far?  Softy's already reaching for the smelling salts....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time? : Space, gay may be, as you've stated before, great, but don't you think this might be going a bit too far?  Softy's already reaching for the smelling salts....
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE] LOL..that's gonna leave a mark.Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]Kelly Shoppach.  Dude's got a chick's name.  ------------------------------------- Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that to Adrian Gonzalez!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

For a total nonissue, this thread has shown a lot of legs.  The Sox should DFA any player who isn't a regular and who doesn't want more playing time. 

While I thought the early season threads about what a lousy catcher Salty was were premature and over-stated, right now I see some logic in not playing Salty too much because the dog days are still ahead of us, to say nothing of September.  Yes, Lavarnway is standing in the wings, but right now the Sox have plus catching, and I would not trade either one, Salty or Shoppach.  Lavarnway needs to get more experience and to be available in case either gets injured. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

From Alex Speier at WEEI (http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2012/05/24/red-sox-20-lessons-learned-20-games-20-days):

THE RED SOX CATCHING TANDEM HAS BEEN A BEAST

Over the past 20 games, Saltalamacchia and Shoppach each hit .308 and among players who were in more than two games, they were tied for the team lead in slugging with a .615 mark. They combined for five homers and 13 extra-base hits over the 20 games.

The result? The Sox have gotten more production from their catchers than any team in the American League. After Shoppach went 2-for-3 with a two-run homer and a walk on Wednesday, Sox catchers lead the AL in homers (9) and OPS (.899). Saltalamacchia and Shoppach have a combined line of .283/.339/.560/.899 this year, making the production from that position one of the foremost areas of team strength through this stage of the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]From Alex Speier at WEEI ( http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2012/05/24/red-sox-20-lessons-learned-20-games-20-days ): THE RED SOX CATCHING TANDEM HAS BEEN A BEAST Over the past 20 games, Saltalamacchia and Shoppach each hit .308 and among players who were in more than two games, they were tied for the team lead in slugging with a .615 mark. They combined for five homers and 13 extra-base hits over the 20 games.   The result? The Sox have gotten more production from their catchers than any team in the  American League . After Shoppach went 2-for-3 with a two-run homer and a walk on Wednesday, Sox catchers lead the AL in homers (9) and OPS (.899). Saltalamacchia and Shoppach have a combined line of .283/.339/.560/.899 this year , making the production from that position one of the foremost areas of team strength through this stage of the year.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

We need to give some due credit to Ben C on this and the Sweeney/Ross moves...if not for injuries, Sweeney/Ross would have been a platoon also This is what was envisioned when Ben C obtained them and the numbers so far indicate the plan, in both cases, would have worked beautifully.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Tomnev - But I thought they were just silly bean counters who didn't understand games in April count as much as those in September?  Seriously, though, the two platoons were great moves to maximize production at minimal cost.  The Scutaro move was also well played.  And even though it hasn't panned out yet, I still like the trades for Melancon and Bailey.  When you look at the whole package, I think Ben was very shrewd and did so much to improve or solidify this team with minimal money.  It looks pretty good now and I think it will look even better as time goes on.  Well done, Ben ... well done indeed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Shoppach is complaining about a lack of playing time? : Couldn't be more serious. Salty is a hack on defense.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]
    Not only that, but look what happened to his "CERA" today. I'll tell ya, he should never allowed Lester to throw all those fat fastballs and hanging curves. 
    By goodness, you got the right measuring stick. The fact that Salty blocks or catches everything in the dirt doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't a hack. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I don't think I would have any respect for him if he said anything else...can't imagine a player saying "Gee, I wish they wouldn't play me so much"...well maybe CC...

18. This post has been removed.