Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner.

changed my avatar just for the occasion (actually been meaning to do that anyway, the old one seemed to rub some people the wrong way). 

not really sure what i think about it, sure he's a flake that has done some loony things, but he'd be fun to have around and i'd enjoy watching him butt heads and go to war with the writers. in some ways you could argue that maybe he is at least the type this team could use, he runs a tight ship and is a disciplinarian, and many say he is about as good as they come as an in-game tactician. but i could also see some of the older players who have gotten set in their ways not being so thrilled about him.

either way, it'd be entertaining, what the hell...rather him than some of the other candidates i suppose. although i'm still partial to alomar. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?

PLEASE NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?

Well I was wrong about Tito when they hired him.  So maybe my hunch is wrong here too.  But, I thought the whole Bobby V. speculation was just idle chatter.  Now that it seems to be in th realm of actual possibility, most of being screams NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

That being said, Bobby is a great baseball man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't get it,why did the Sox bother to hire Ben as the GM? Larry Lucchino is doing all the bidding. Bobby Valentine is a very capable Mgr with a great deal of knowledge and experience,but he is clearly Larry's choice. Ben welcome to the Larry Lucchino show!!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?:
    [QUOTE]I don't get it,why did the Sox bother to hire Ben as the GM? Larry Lucchino is doing all the bidding. Bobby Valentine is a very capable Mgr with a great deal of knowledge and experience,but he is clearly Larry's choice. Ben welcome to the Larry Lucchino show!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

you could be right, but IMO it seems like some of the quotes we have heard from both Ben and Lucchino the past day or so seems somewhat telling, the whole notion that they feel they are still a championship caliber team, not a young rebuilding team. they may be shying away just a bit from giving this team to a manager-in-training who's kinda learning on the fly, thus the recent consideration of older experienced candidates. lamont seems to have made more of an impression than most of us thought, now its Bobby V. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?:
    [QUOTE]Well I was wrong about Tito when they hired him.  So maybe my hunch is wrong here too.  But, I thought the whole Bobby V. speculation was just idle chatter.  Now that it seems to be in th realm of actual possibility, most of being screams NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! That being said, Bobby is a great baseball man.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    You said it. He's the best baseball man available. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?:
    [QUOTE]Just heard it on WEEI. 
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Yes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Yes.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

gale, to go from Francona to Valentine is too much of a stretch, not only for the players, but the media. He may be a great baseball man, but a lot more is needed to be successful in Boston. If he's so great, why hasn't he gotten a job in MLB; not to mention he was fired in japan, twice

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think he'd be fun to have as a manager.  I want some fire works.  I want a manager that leaks information to the press about Lucchino just like Lucchino leaks info to the press. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I think he'd be fun to have as a manager.  I want some fire works.  I want a manager that leaks information to the press about Lucchino just like Lucchino leaks info to the press. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Oh, I like your angle Dirty.  Hadn't thought so out of the box.  If you can't win it all, at least make it a juicy soap opera.  I could go for that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]PLEASE NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

What J-Bay said.

The Red Sox are in the running for Laughing Stock of the American League, a position currently held by the Orioles, and which could change.

Oy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Since when did Valentine espouse Sabermetrics and the Bill James approach?

Or are these just diversions?

Double oy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Come on? A real manager?
    Impossible, in light of the puppets they seem to desire.
    Valentine won't take any of the crap some of these newies would.
    I'll take Bobby Valentine over the entire bunch of nobodys they've interviewed, any day!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Not only has it been reported on Felger and Massarotti on Comcast that one of the owners of the Red Sox has interviewed Bobby Valentine, but that the Red Sox intend to conduct a 2nd interview with former PawSox Manager and current BlueJays Coach Tory Lovullo. Not clear whether Red Sox will still have a 2nd interview with Gene Lamont and Sandy Alomar, Jr.  Some suggest that the reason for the additional interview of Luvullo is, for the ownership, to save face for GM Ben Cherington, Ben having denied that ownership is overriding Ben's decision on the group of managerial candidates, particularly new Cubs Manager Sveum. Not even going to speculate on what all this means. Will leave that to all of you more savvy fans.  The Closer is gone, another team has made an offer to FA David Ortiz, until team has a Manager in place who can choose his Pitching Coach and the rest of the Coaching staff, to evaluate how they fit in with Bogar, Magadan and Gary Tuck, who are still on board, and the Manager has the opportunity to coordinate with Ben Cherington and his FO staff to evaluate how to improve the starting rotation, bullpen, and needs in RF etc. with FAs, trades or organizational players, a great deal needs to be done before Spring Training.  e.g. Wonder if Ben Cherington took Dave Magadan or Tim Bogar to the Dominican Republic for the weekend to evaluate Yeonis Cespedes tryout and wouldn't it have been wonderful if the Red Sox already had a new Manager in place for such an evaluation considering that Cespedes may be the new Red Sox rightfielder for the 2012 Season and is likely be the subject of a bidding war for Cespedes' services. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.                                                                                                                                                               Proper preparation prevents pess poor performance. That what    drives this guy. Being prepared to play the game, every game you're in.With this guy this team will be ready out of Spring Training unlike last year. For those that don't buy in to his philosophy there will be confrontations. A lot of team meetings in ST talking about team goals. This is the type of guy needed now, no doubt. My reservations concern putting a crew together quickly if he is offered the job. He will be active in games instead of disengaged. I can't say if he'd sellout to the metric brigade or not. I hope not. Just wait and see.....I guess.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I love Bobby Valentine, and think he is the best candidate for the job.  He is one of the best in game managers, and runs a tight ship.  The Red Sox need someone who will change the clubhouse atmosphere, a manager who is not afraid to chew out his players.  After the clubhouse mess of 2011, Valentine is exacltly who we need.

That being said, I do not like how the ownership is asserting its dominance over Cherington.  It's clear Cherington wanted Svuem, and I think the FO should have given him that power.  It is about seperation of powers, and not putting too much power in the hands of one group of people.  Right now, the ownership seems to have all that power.  They ought to leave finances and marketing to the ownership, baseball business to the GM and co, and on-field decisions to the manager.  That balance is not present in the organization right now.

Sections
Shortcuts