Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?

Sincerely like Alomar, BUT IF Bobby V is interested, YES!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?

GM performance is the key, not the manager. Valentine or any pick should only be given a short leash contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clff. Show clff's posts

no

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I can't really speak to his managing skills, but I have never once heard him say anything that impressed me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Yesssssssssssss! He is exactly what this team needs. He is enthusiastic and tough. He knows the game. Hire him. I am so glad it wasn't Dale Suevm!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?:
    [QUOTE]Sincerely like Alomar, BUT IF Bobby V is interested, YES!
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

this is exactly what i think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Initially I said no, but who else is there? I don't know, I have mixed feelings, and am feeling indecisive and insecure. I need my blanky. A ba ba will do too if you can warm one up for me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager?:
    [QUOTE]I can't really speak to his managing skills, but I have never once heard him say anything that impressed me.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    You must be a very hard man to impress.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So...

Valentine AND Minaya?!!?!?

Gee, there's a winning combination...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Um, hell no. As I've said in another thread, what is the thought process of a man who believes he can come into the dugout in disguise after being thrown out of the game? He seems a little off-the-wall to be manager. IMO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Wonder if Valentine could clone a young Mike Piazza?
    That would solve the Sox catching, and right handed power, in one shot.
    Then get Charlize Theron to replace Heidi.
    OK, the LSD is wearing off.........................

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]Um, hell no. As I've said in another thread, what is the thought process of a man who believes he can come into the dugout in disguise after being thrown out of the game? He seems a little off-the-wall to be manager. IMO
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

lets see, last season we had pitchers we couldnt keep in the dugout during games, they'd rather hang out in the clubhouse. now we have a manager candidate who made a j*ckass outta himself just to get back into his dugout. maybe if our pitchers were half as intense and passionate about the game as Bobby V then Bobby V wouldnt even be a candidate right now, because they probably wouldve made the playoffs and we'd all be sitting here right now waiiting to see theo waste more money on the FA market.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Cafardo thinks Valentine is the best candidate for the job, and I respect his insider's knowledge, but I still like Alomar or Lovullo.  Even Lamont has qualities I think would make him a very successful manager in Boston.  Remember, this team was built to win it all.  And except for losing their closer and three pitchers to Tommy John surgery in the past 6 months, they are pretty much the same team.  Whoever it is will have a hard time not winning 90+ games.  I just think this should be done sooner than later.  I agree that having the manager in the Dominican for the private workout of Cespedes would have been the smartest thing to do. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager? : lets see, last season we had pitchers we couldnt keep in the dugout during games, they'd rather hang out in the clubhouse. now we have a manager candidate who made a j*ckass outta himself just to get back into his dugout. maybe if our pitchers were half as intense and passionate about the game as Bobby V then Bobby V wouldnt even be a candidate right now, because they probably wouldve made the playoffs and we'd all be sitting here right now waiiting to see theo waste more money on the FA market.  
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]

You know what else we didn't have last season? You posting while the games were actually being played, or if you were, not really enough to be noticed. As a matter of fact, this board seems to be filled with people who didn't post much during the season, and in some cases, not at all. So odd. Also, new names, names of posters who have, supposedly, been here for years but no one knows. Where did "everyone" suddenly come from? Wouldn't most fans be more interested during the season? Just doesn't make sense to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]Wonder if Valentine could clone a young Mike Piazza? That would solve the Sox catching, and right handed power, in one shot. Then get Charlize Theron to replace Heidi. OK, the LSD is wearing off.........................
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

Piaz......Lavarnway....

There you go, done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Yes !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

1. The only "you" to whom it matters are triumverate running the team. 
    2. One way or another, given the way the past season ended, the team needs a manager with a personality bigger than the big-name "problem" players, Ortiz, Varitek (may he rest in peace), Lackey, etc.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal: Bobby Valentine has met with one owner and will meet with another owner. Do you want him as Sox manager? : You know what else we didn't have last season? You posting while the games were actually being played, or if you were, not really enough to be noticed. As a matter of fact, this board seems to be filled with people who didn't post much during the season, and in some cases, not at all. So odd. Also, new names, names of posters who have, supposedly, been here for years but no one knows. Where did "everyone" suddenly come from? Wouldn't most fans be more interested during the season? Just doesn't make sense to me.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

bravo for you since you spend your life here. some of you regs somehow feel like you're a special breed of red sox fan since you have a few thousand posts and all know eachother on a first name basis, although there do seem to be at least a few that are cool and dont discriminate. fact is, the amount of time i spend here, when and how i do it, is really irrelevent to this discussion and/or any other. for the most part i try to be cool when i come on this board and engage in good spirited baseball talk with fellow sox fans, if there is an uptick in my activity during Hot Stove season because i have more time on my hands this time of year and happen to be following offseason moves closely, then thats really none of your concern. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Best time to post is October through April..... I guess... yes that is right.... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, since my NOOOOOOOOOOOOO reaction yesterday, I went home and lit some incense, sat in lotus position until my internal vibrations were still as placid waters of a mountain lake, and meditated on bobby V.

In my contamplation, i realized my knee-jerk first reaction may have been wrong.  The jaggoff Bobby V. of 2002 is not the Bobby V. of today.  His time in Japan surely changed the man.  He recognized recently himself, that his major shortcoming, before his soujourn to the East, was letting his mouth run before using his mind.  This is a mature assessment.  That indeed WAS his problem.

I bet 7 years in the Nippon League would do wonders in changing the outlook/approach of a brash, egotistical American like Valentine.

So, if he has changed (is it possible for a human to change dramatically as an adult?), then his fiery approach to the game and his experience may, indeed, be just what the doctor ordered.

Spaceman is no longer a NOOOOOOO.  Spaceman is open to Bobby V.

Ohhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Valentine is just the type of manager the RS need, but that the players won't want. He might find it an uphill battle in the beginning, trying to get guys motivated to play for him. However, I believe in time, he will earn the players respect.
    It would be finally nice to have a manager who shows some emotion, and isn't afraid to challenge umpires.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

how come Law isn't commenting yet? who does he want?......or is he following the Cubs now?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

First of all, Bobby Valentine is not only a joke, but his managerial career leaves a lot to be desired. He has managed parts of 15 seasons in America and parts of 6 seasons in Japan. His skills were so in demand that he had to go to Japan in 1995 where he was promptly fired by the GM after one season. He again fell out of grace with MLB in 2004 and returned to Japan for parts of 5 seasons where he amassed a decent record and was summarily dismissed in spite of his success (he seems to have a personality disorder). In the majors, he won one pennent and made one WS appearance losing to a mediocre Yankee team (87-74 in AL regular season). He has had many reasonably good teams, but has a liftime (excluding Japan) .510 winning % (under .500 with Texas). He is probably best known for his donning a disguise (mustache and glasses) and returning to the dugout in 1999 after which he was suspended by MLB for 2 games for his buffoonery.

Seriously, is this the guy we want to give the keys to the Red Sox car for 2012 and beyond? We could have the Sox arrive at the field crammed in a Volkswagon and emerge on the playing field with sqirt bottles and horns on their belts. Valentine can drect them in mustache, glasses and clown paint on his face. This guy is Grady Little circa 2012. If the Sox want us to forget 2011 (and all the other disappointing years from the beginning of time) they need to bring a professional manager to town to manage professional players. Nuf ced!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No manager should be on anything but a lower cost contract and short leash. The manager must be able to keep members of the MLBPA in line, and is more of a baby sitter than anything else. The gm is the most important factor in team success. Valentine is no different than Tito, he needs to be on a short leash and be able to hande a bunch of wealthy and lazy brats that the gm puts under big contracts.

Sections
Shortcuts