Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors"

by Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports

The Phillies and Red Sox are among the most aggressive suitors for Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran — if not the most aggressive, according to major-league sources.

Other clubs remain strongly in the mix for Beltran, who returned to the Mets’ lineup on Tuesday night after missing three games with the flu.

The interest for Beltran is so high, sources say, that the Mets might trade him several days or more before the July 31 non-waiver deadline — and include less money in the deal than they initially expected would be necessary.

Beltran, 34, will be owed approximately $6 million on July 31. The Mets’ priority in trading him is to obtain high-quality prospects, not save money. But they may be in position to achieve both goals to a significant extent.

The Phillies and Red Sox are in similar positions — both face luxury-tax concerns, and likely would want the Mets to cover a substantial part of Beltran’s remaining salary. But both clubs also have demonstrated a past willingness to spend for the right players.

Beltran, armed with a full no-trade clause, can effectively choose his next club and require compensation to approve any deal. The Mets, though, do not expect his consent to be a problem. Beltran is a potential free agent, and could enhance his value by performing well in a pennant race.
    The trade market is thin on starting pitchers and short on impact bats, making Beltran — a switch-hitter who ranks 10th in the National League with an .893 OPS — a particularly valuable commodity.

Both the Phillies and Red Sox likely would use Beltran in right field, viewing him as a difference-maker not just in the pennant race, but also in the post-season.

The Phillies, who activated center fielder Shane Victorino from the disabled list Tuesday, are trying to put together an outfield of Beltran, Victorino and Raul Ibanez. The Red Sox would use Beltran in place of the struggling J.D. Drew while keeping Jacoby Ellsbury in center and Carl Crawford in left.

Beltran remains an above-average defender as a corner outfielder, increasing his appeal to prospective suitors. The Giants, Indians, Tigers and Braves are among the other clubs that have expressed interest in trading for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran

You wish, Jete! :)

Beltran would be okay if the price were right, but you don't give up much for a two-month rental.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors"

Good morning thirty, would Theo dare tie him up to a long term deal?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran

I saw another posting that JP was at the Portland game last night. I can't see how Beltran is playing any better than Reddick is right now. I assume this forces the issue in right field to play Reddick for the next 11 days and see if a Beltran pick up is needed.
    Regardless of how much salary the Mets pick up, even all of it, my list of prospects offered to the Mets w/b pretty pedestrian. Bowden, Espo, Lars, Ferderko ilk. A quick peek at Sox Prospects and I say 1-20 on the preospect list are off limits with the poss exception of Weiland and Wilson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors"

"Good morning thirty, would Theo dare tie him up to a long term deal?"

I don't think he has the money.

$127M of deals already in place, with an additional $15M-$20M needed for arbitration awards to Ellsbury, Albers, Aceves, Salty, Morales, McDonald, and Lowrie. (Forgetting somebody? Thought there were eight. Another $3M for Miller if he stays. They have perhaps $20M to $25M to spend on free agents (including Ortiz, Papelbon, and Scutaro's option) and new acquisitions.

I think the Red Sox blew their wad last winter. Took creative accounting to get it under the luxury tax this year, but that isn't the kind of thing they can repeat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Carlos Beltran is having a reasonably good season - super star numbers compared to Drew of course. Thirty-four is not thirty-eight, and Beltran can be counted on to play regularly.  In 2008, only two full seasons ago, he played in 161 games.

606 AB's  27 Homers  112 RBI  .415 OBP and 25 SB's - not a bad line.

I will take him if its reasonable, and at that point with Reddick here I may pull the trigger an release Drew.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors":
    "Good morning thirty, would Theo dare tie him up to a long term deal?" I don't think he has the money. $127M of deals already in place, with an additional $15M-$20M needed for arbitration awards to Ellsbury, Albers, Aceves, Salty, Morales, McDonald, and Lowrie. (Forgetting somebody? Thought there were eight. Another $3M for Miller if he stays. They have perhaps $20M to $25M to spend on free agents (including Ortiz, Papelbon, and Scutaro's option) and new acquisitions. I think the Red Sox blew their wad last winter. Took creative accounting to get it under the luxury tax this year, but that isn't the kind of thing they can repeat.
    Posted by thirtysomething

that ridiculous signing of CRAWFORD sux in so many ways. another theo albatross that will handcuff the SOX for years to come.
    BELTRAN provides more BANG FOR THE BUCK than CRAWFORD ever will.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Ken Rosenthal:Phillies, Red Sox pursuing Carlos Beltran-"are among the most aggressive suitors":
    Thirty-four is not thirty-eight, and Beltran can be counted on to play regularly.
    Posted by BurritoT

Beltran can only be counted on to play regularly when he isn't getting injured regularly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the point is that even if the Sox wanted to sign Beltran past this season, he is going to free agency. On the open market, who knows what will be offered. I can't see the Sox getting into a 3 year deal with a 34 year old with a history of knee issues. That being said, I am against giving any "prospect" for 10 weeks of Beltran given how Reddick is performing. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thats part fallacy. He averaged 138 games per season once you take away the 2 injury years of 2009 and 2010, and take away the abbreviated rookie season. We also have what appears to be a major league ready right fielder who can back Carlos up or perhaps even make this thread unnecessary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

the point is that even if the Sox wanted to sign Beltran past this season, he is going to free agency. On the open market, who knows what will be offered. I can't see the Sox getting into a 3 year deal with a 34 year old with a history of knee issues. That being said, I am against giving any "prospect" for 10 weeks of Beltran given how Reddick is performing. 
    Posted by rkarp

Reddick is slumping.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

what part is fallacy? that he will be 35 years old before next season is under way? that he had 255 PA's in 2010? that he had 357 PA's in 2009?
    Look, the point isn't can he help the Sox this season. The point is what are the Mets expecting and what are other teams willing to give up that are perhaps in more need than the Sox?
    My thought is Beltran is NOT a candidate for a contract with the Sox past this season, making the prospects in this proposed deal key. Is 10 weeks of Beltran worth a top 10 (or 15) prospect? Given the play of Reddick and the insurance of Drew and/or McD, I don't think that is a good deal for the SOx 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I would start negotiations with Drew as part of the deal.  I know he would be a negative to the deal, but essentially use him to offset the $.  If we had to add $ in lieu of better prospects that is something the FO should consider if they can.  I would pick my best candidate for RF next year, whether it is Kalish, Reddick, or someone else, and keep him out of the deal.  Any other OF would be available.  Add at least anderson and 1 pitcher and we are close.  Drew Kalish Anderson and a weiland type...huge upgrade on drew.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mets don't want Drew. They want Duda to get ab's to see what they have. They also don't want Lars, they have Ike Davis blocking him. Kalish and Weiland imo get the deal done. Hate to give up on Kalish for 10 weeks of Beltran however.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Posted in another thread that the Mets would eat a good part, or all, of Beltran's salary.  

Problem is - he is still a rental, and the Mets will want some serious prospects for him.   Or even near-established players. 

What would be the consensus on giving up D-Mac, Reddick and/or Lars Anderson and/or Ryan Kalish? 

For me, Beltran is a no-go because Alderson will want a lot, IMO. It may not be worth it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

If the Sox believe in Josh Reddick(lefty) and also think that they want to hold onto Ellsbury(lefty) when his contract comes up, and since they have Crawford(lefty), then Kalish(Lefty) is redundant, or if you prefer Kalish, then Reddick is Redundant. You are not going to make those 4 guys your 4 OF's next year. The sox do have an up and coming RHH OF in Bryce Brentz in A ball. So If they believe all that, that then giving Reddick or Kalish for Beltran in order to be a more complete team for this year may happen. Personally I think giving up a top 5 prospect is alot to give up for a Rental.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Mets don't want Drew. They want Duda to get ab's to see what they have. They also don't want Lars, they have Ike Davis blocking him. Kalish and Weiland imo get the deal done. Hate to give up on Kalish for 10 weeks of Beltran however.
    Posted by rkarp

I don't see where taking drew in lieu of paying nearly his whole salary is any different.  From our point of view we are giving someone else a chance to give him a second chance in leiu of Sox just cutting him.  Maybe we can do a cameron, where we pay majority of his $ to play for someone else.  Beltran is worth a kalish to me to go for the title, especially if Reddick has beat him out for RF in the FO's mind.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'm sort of waking up to the fact that as much as I think Beltran would help, the Sox should be stingy with prospects at this point for a guy that could be just a rental.  Beltran will hit FA and can't be offered arbitration per his contract, so there is no way to recoup prospects via compensatory picks. 

Given that Reddick is playing well, considering what the Mets are supposedly asking for in terms of prospects and since the Sox will get zero draft picks if they lose him, Beltran makes little sense.  Too bad, because he's a pretty good player that could help.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

what part is fallacy? that he will be 35 years old before next season is under way? that he had 255 PA's in 2010? that he had 357 PA's in 2009? Look, the point isn't can he help the Sox this season. The point is what are the Mets expecting and what are other teams willing to give up that are perhaps in more need than the Sox? My thought is Beltran is NOT a candidate for a contract with the Sox past this season, making the prospects in this proposed deal key. Is 10 weeks of Beltran worth a top 10 (or 15) prospect? Given the play of Reddick and the insurance of Drew and/or McD, I don't think that is a good deal for the SOx 
    Posted by rkarp

Saying he is "regularly" injured is untrue. You made it sound like that is a summary of Beltrans career. That's all. Do you want to win the WS now or roll the dice that next year we will be better because some prospect might arrive to save the Nation?  I prefer to win now, and then heck why not win again next season.  He is not even close to 35 yet either, it isn't almost April 24th 2012 is it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Reddick is slumping.
    Posted by WE5NUTS

Yeah, he's hitting just .302/.367/.628 in July with 9 R and 9 RBI in 49 PA. That's a pace for over 100 R and 100 RBI per 600 PA.

Were you thinking of a different time frame? Please be more specific? I think you'll be hard pressed to find one in which his OPS is under .900

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If the Red Sox trade for Beltron, it will either Middlebrooks and Weiland maybe? Mets scouts were in Portland last night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

With the Mets picking up the 6 million of Beltran's salary that's still owed,they're going to want someone like Reddick in return for him IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Thats part fallacy. He averaged 138 games per season once you take away the 2 injury years of 2009 and 2010, and take away the abbreviated rookie season. We also have what appears to be a major league ready right fielder who can back Carlos up or perhaps even make this thread unnecessary.
    Posted by BurritoT

Then let's play that "major league ready right fielder" and forget about a 2 month rental of Beltran.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Westnuts stated that Reddick is slumping.

In his last 10 games, he's batting .313 with 3 HR and 8 RBI.

Sections
Shortcuts