KEVIN MILLAR breaks down GENERATION K, ELLS and speaks truth to POWER!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

KEVIN MILLAR breaks down GENERATION K, ELLS and speaks truth to POWER!

i could listen to this guy talk for hours on anything esp baseball. love how he makes fun of himself, now calling himself a fake Canadian cowboy. he hasnt even come close to his ultimate greatness yet. he may go down as the john madden of baseball  if he decides to ever become a broadcaster. can u imagine him doing sunday night telecasts on espn or the fox gig on sundays? he wont be obscure at MLB network for too long thats for sure.

first on mut and merloni (funny how he's always on that specific show, connections help) he spells out what tony gwynn told him way back in the day about 3 kinds of hitters. first, your jabroni hitter.. thats the guy who gets fooled but makes the adjustment the next day. then u have your average hitter, he gets fooled.. then makes the adjustment the next AB. your truly great hitter, gets fooled but makes the adjustment the next pitch! about having enough reps and mental strengths to be able to do so.

if a guy cant make those adjustments, u dont invest a lot of money in him.. interestingly, he was saying this right as they were talking about one jacoby ellsbury! millar feels he may be what he's been the last year and a half. great enough sample. the power may have been a fluke. at best, may hit close to .300 but get you 40 steals. not a great HOf guy but good enough. problem is that ells seems to have some serious delusions of grandeur issues esp with boras in his ear.

the other thing i found interesting was his take on the increased strikeouts. love his reference to GENERATION K. there are more strikeouts than ever in the HISTORY of the game. he feels guys arent even battling and that some of what he's saying on a daily basis is an embarassment to the game. he wonders about the hitting coaches. all these young kids are just swinging for the fences even on 2 strike counts. doesnt matter, they all wanna get paid and get the glory rather than sacrificing for the team or studying their craft. good stuff! perhaps kev should be a PRESIDENT of a ball club someday a la nolan the ryan!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: KEVIN MILLAR breaks down GENERATION K, ELLS and speaks truth to POWER!

1-I was really hoping the RS would sign Millar to some role on the team.  He's a smart guy who communicates well.

2-IRT the learning process, it's always been that way.  BB more than most sports (though it happens in every sport) is about trying to outsmart the other guy.  If you fall into a pattern, you might as well go home.  Swinging at the first pitch, always taking the first pitch, etc., is giving away too big an advantage.

I loved watching Manny at bat.  After every pitch, he stepped out of the box and looked at the pitcher.  He was thinking through the process.  That's one of the things that made him a great hitter.  He was rarely fooled.

3-IRT the K's, I'm middle of the road.  I don't mind guys swinging hard, as long as they are swinging at strikes.

And second to that are the guys that give away advantages.  When you're ahead 1-0, 2-0, 3-1, and you swing and miss, you made a mistake.  When you're ahead, you don't need to swing if the pitch fooled you.  If it 3-1, and the pitcher drops a curve on the outside corner, you tip your cap to him, but it is still 3-2.  To go after a pitcher you are unlikely to hit hard is senseless.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Kevin Millar deserves his own sports talk show.  GOT HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!!!!!!!!   LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gotta love Millar.  One of Theo's best moves was signing him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

millars ok in my book

always thought of him as some one who got the most out of his talent

which sadly isn't always the case

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to ImagydSportsBos' comment:

i could listen to this guy talk for hours on anything esp baseball. love how he makes fun of himself, now calling himself a fake Canadian cowboy. he hasnt even come close to his ultimate greatness yet. he may go down as the john madden of baseball  if he decides to ever become a broadcaster. can u imagine him doing sunday night telecasts on espn or the fox gig on sundays? he wont be obscure at MLB network for too long thats for sure.

first on mut and merloni (funny how he's always on that specific show, connections help) he spells out what tony gwynn told him way back in the day about 3 kinds of hitters. first, your jabroni hitter.. thats the guy who gets fooled but makes the adjustment the next day. then u have your average hitter, he gets fooled.. then makes the adjustment the next AB. your truly great hitter, gets fooled but makes the adjustment the next pitch! about having enough reps and mental strengths to be able to do so.

if a guy cant make those adjustments, u dont invest a lot of money in him.. interestingly, he was saying this right as they were talking about one jacoby ellsbury! millar feels he may be what he's been the last year and a half. great enough sample. the power may have been a fluke. at best, may hit close to .300 but get you 40 steals. not a great HOf guy but good enough. problem is that ells seems to have some serious delusions of grandeur issues esp with boras in his ear.

the other thing i found interesting was his take on the increased strikeouts. love his reference to GENERATION K. there are more strikeouts than ever in the HISTORY of the game. he feels guys arent even battling and that some of what he's saying on a daily basis is an embarassment to the game. he wonders about the hitting coaches. all these young kids are just swinging for the fences even on 2 strike counts. doesnt matter, they all wanna get paid and get the glory rather than sacrificing for the team or studying their craft. good stuff! perhaps kev should be a PRESIDENT of a ball club someday a la nolan the ryan!

I made some of the same observations on another post and was vilified for my interpetation about Ellsbury. I hope just maybe some of the so called fans of the game realize why his game is faltering. Kevin Millar obviously does. Money and the dreams of Boras negotiating some zillion dollar deal for him! He took his eyes off the prize. He could have had his cake and ate it to! Simply by electrifying the fans with constant hustle, this is how Pedey maintains his fandom,he hustles for everything!!! Same with the other dirtdogs who have played in Boston over the years. Nixon,Dewey,Varitek,and several other players who don't have to ever buy a drink in Boston after their playing days are over, how come you ask? For their playing the game the right way. The reverence they receive after they retire for an effort in playing the game with their hearts resonates with every play,and in some cases every pitch. I know for a fact Derek Lowe wishes he never chased the almighty dollar!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I hope just maybe some of the so called fans of the game realize why his game is faltering. Kevin Millar obviously does. Money and the dreams of Boras negotiating some zillion dollar deal for him! He took his eyes off the prize.

And I assume you know this because Ellsbury told you?  Save this psychobabble.  9-10 times, these are simple slumps that every player has

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I hope just maybe some of the so called fans of the game realize why his game is faltering. Kevin Millar obviously does. Money and the dreams of Boras negotiating some zillion dollar deal for him! He took his eyes off the prize.

And I assume you know this because Ellsbury told you?  Save this psychobabble.  9-10 times, these are simple slumps that every player has

whatever Joe!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Admittedly, what I though was cool after the fact was when before Game 4 in the 2004 ALCS, he said Don't let us win one now

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I liked Millar when he was with Florida and was happy the Sox got him.

The best thing about him was how he never looked like a professional athlete.  If you met him on the street, you would probably think he was a a science teacher or something...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

And I assume you know this because Ellsbury told you? Save this psychobabble. 9-10 times, these are simple slumps that every player has

Joe, "psychobabble" is right alongside "hater" on the 90's political swords list. I know you have nothing on the merits.

Let's sober up there, Joe, and look at Ellsbury over 2500 plate appearances sample:

BA .293  OBP .346  SLG .435  OPS .781  Career

BA .247 OBP .312   SLG .346  OPS .658 2013  182 AB's

It's pretty clear what kind of hitter Ellsbury is, by looking at his career numbers. The obvious reasons those BA and OBP numbers are down isn't "a slump over the last 485 AB's from 2012 to date is that he's trying to "swing for the fences". What Ellsbury tells or doesn't tell means nothing when it comes to the big sample.

I wrote on here a while back that Ellsbury's approach to swing for the fences is a mistake and he and his agent are rolling the dice on marketing him as a player he isn't and will never be. He should be bunting more and chipping the ball more and getting his OBP up, not trying to drive the ball.

Kevin is on the money on the issue of most young professional baseball player. They know where the biggest money is.

Whoever offers Ellsbury a multi-year contract should be smart enough to understand they will be getting the following:

Age 30 and beyond player who relies mostly on speed. Has an impotent throwing arm and relies on speed to make up for a lot of poor breaks and routes (CF should be the best fielding OF'er). As for plate work and running the bases, you will get something very close to the following over the course of that contract:

You will get, at best, 3 out of 4 years of about 140 games or more played per season

For the seasons he isn't on the DL a lot, you will get, at best, the season median averages of:

BA .293 OBP .346 SLG .435 OPS .781  SB 45  HR 16

Other factors on the contract offer will be the fact that speed declines with age and Ellsbury has zero proven team leadership success history in college or professional baseball. In addition, though it's weak in application, MLB finally has a blood test for Human Growth Hormone and other PED's.

Best case, you get a player who is 1 out of 4 years not playing MLB, who is an above average leadoff hitter and an average overall defensive CF'er, who is not going to be a productive slugging profile. Because of his age and skillset (speed), going 4 years is a risk, but going beyond that is a likely platoon bench guy, at best.

Cherry is safe making the qualifying offer, because Notin is dead wrong if he thinks Ellsbury and his agent have enough belief that they are going to turn down 3 or more years contract offers to roll the dice another year.

Some of the non-small market NL teams GM's who need a leadoff hitter and CF should bid up to the following on the value front:

4 years base 12

Once Ellsbury is under longer term contract, NL managment can get him to start bunting more and getting on base more and ditching the approach of trying to drive a lot of pitches.

Ellsbury is a terrible value and fit for the Red Sox, as popular a player as he has been. 

Thnx for the assist Softlaw.I was running out of ways to tell these folks what was and is going on with Ellsbury and his agent. It seems like they are all blinded by his personal charisma. Baseball isn't played with charm. Jake altered his swing in 2011 to try and hit more HR's it worked for a year. He may have even used PEDS in achieving his goal for a year,just a thought on my part,though there is no evidenvce too suggest I'm right. From 15 one year to 32 the next is a very big jump. then when he went to duplicate the following year the HR's were not so much.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Joe, "psychobabble" is right alongside "hater" on the 90's political swords list. I know you have nothing on the merits.

The only thing I said was that it was a simple slump.  None of 500 word rant dispells any of that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

t seems like they are all blinded by his personal charisma.

Ellsbury has personal charisma?  Seriously?  I don't remember him ever saying a word.  He displays virtually no personality or charisma whatsoever.

He may have even used PEDS in achieving his goal for a year

How does that make any sense?  I can't read minds as well as you, but my assumption is, if someone is going to take PEDs, they would take them in their walk year.  Taking them in 2011, and not afertwards, gives the impression of going downhill, and is completely illogical.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The only thing I said was that it was a simple slump

No, Joe, 2012 and 2013 to date is not "a simple slump". His career median averages are what they say he is, and he's below that because of his approach.

Pedroia, AGon and Ortiz in 2011 form would make a lot of hitters slub beyond their career averages.

Be careful, Joe is an intellectual superior to someone but noone knows who! I didn't assume anything Joe I speculated a probability about the PEDS. By now you should know what assuming does.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No, Joe, 2012 and 2013 to date is not "a simple slump". His career median averages are what they say he is, and he's below that because of his approach.

Pedroia, AGon and Ortiz in 2011 form would make a lot of hitters slub beyond their career averages.

We're not referencing 2012.  We're talking about 2013.  Do try to follow the conversation.

Care to make a little tag bet on where his OPS is this year?  Mano-a-mano.  Give me a number.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

And I assume you know this because Ellsbury told you? Save this psychobabble. 9-10 times, these are simple slumps that every player has

Let's sober up there, Joe, and look at Ellsbury over 2500 plate appearances sample:

BA .293  OBP .346  SLG .435  OPS .781  Career

BA .247 OBP .312   SLG .346  OPS .658 2013  182 AB's

It's pretty clear what kind of hitter Ellsbury is, by looking at his career numbers. The obvious reasons those BA and OBP numbers are down isn't "a slump over the last 485 AB's from 2012 to date is that he's trying to "swing for the fences". What Ellsbury tells or doesn't tell means nothing when it comes to the big sample.

I wrote on here a while back that Ellsbury's approach to swing for the fences is a mistake and he and his agent are rolling the dice on marketing him as a player he isn't and will never be. He should be bunting more and chipping the ball more and getting his OBP up, not trying to drive the ball.

Kevin is on the money on the issue of most young professional baseball player. They know where the biggest money is.

Whoever offers Ellsbury a multi-year contract should be smart enough to understand they will be getting the following:

Age 30 and beyond player who relies mostly on speed. Has an impotent throwing arm and relies on speed to make up for a lot of poor breaks and routes (CF should be the best fielding OF'er). As for plate work and running the bases, you will get something very close to the following over the course of that contract:

You will get, at best, 3 out of 4 years of about 140 games or more played per season

For the seasons he isn't on the DL a lot, you will get, at best, the season median averages of:

BA .293 OBP .346 SLG .435 OPS .781  SB 45  HR 16

Other factors on the contract offer will be the fact that speed declines with age and Ellsbury has zero proven team leadership success history in college or professional baseball. In addition, though it's weak in application, MLB finally has a blood test for Human Growth Hormone and other PED's.

Best case, you get a player who is 1 out of 4 years not playing MLB, who is an above average leadoff hitter and an average overall defensive CF'er, who is not going to be a productive slugging profile. Because of his age and skillset (speed), going 4 years is a risk, but going beyond that is a likely platoon bench guy, at best.

Cherry is safe making the qualifying offer, because Notin is dead wrong if he thinks Ellsbury and his agent have enough belief that they are going to turn down 3 or more years contract offers to roll the dice another year.

Some of the non-small market NL teams GM's who need a leadoff hitter and CF should bid up to the following on the value front:

4 years base 12

Once Ellsbury is under longer term contract, NL managment can get him to start bunting more and getting on base more and ditching the approach of trying to drive a lot of pitches.

Ellsbury is a terrible value and fit for the Red Sox, as popular a player as he has been. 

I agree and also posted why his numbers inflated in 2011 on another thread. He is, and should act exactly like the player you described.

As for SB1's assumption Ells is going for the money...He has Boras for his agent, he has not wanted to sign an extension from the word go, Hes banking on 2011 numbers to get him as close to 20M as he can. The way he has approached his game this year has suggested, to me anyway, that hes trying to be that power guy.

Hes trying to pull everything and over swinging resulting in rolling over the ball, thus resulting in weak popups and little squibbers to the right side. He should be bunting more like Vic, going the opposite way with outside pitches and just trying to get on base to use his speed to steal bags. All this tells me that he looking for that big payday. Now, I dont blame anyone for trying to maximize their worth financially. But dont try and be something your not.

His value is going to go down further if he continues to try and be something hes not.

(these are just the opinions of one fan and knowledgable baseball person. I dont claim to be 100% right, but I stand by my words)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Be careful, Joe is an intellectual superior to someone but noone knows who! I didn't assume anything Joe I speculated a probability about the PEDS. By now you should know what assuming does.

You made a speculation about PEDs.  I merely pointed out that it was an illogical speculation.  What would have me say?  'Oh Bozo, that was a nice try'?  It wasn't.

Sections
Shortcuts