Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today!

Best quote ever - "Maybe that stuff works in Japan".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I love Pedroia and that's why. *not the way we do things here*...translation--Tito never ever would do that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

new boss and new rules

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

There are no free passes in this league.  Perform or you're out.  The manager has to win.  It's not like he threw a chump out there at 3rd base because Youk wasn't performing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

Valentine may be right, but he seems to go out of his way to annoy people. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

well Tito's way didn't work last year.....maybe time for a change.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from browndt. Show browndt's posts

Baseball players, prima donnas, who can't take criticism. Why is his agent getting involved? Seems like an overreaction to me. After last year's collapse, they should have got rid of a player or two to send an example. 
     With Middlebrooks playing well,maybe we should promote him and give him a chance.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

As usual the Boston media is blowing this thing up way too much. Pitting fan against fan, players against mgr. We have no idea what's been said in locker rooms,etc. Is Youk undermining BV's position behind the scenes? Was he the one giving Schilling the "bad " vibes ammo? Are some players resentfull for not having things easy as with Francona? Or is BV just trying to assert himself and knows Youk would be the right one to light up? I don't know and no one here knows. I do know that Youk tends to defend or attack certain players but can't really remember him doing either for the team as a whole. Pedroia's comment is the disturbing one. Not the way WE do things around here. Pedey runs things now? Let them all get fired up and mad as a team......good. Francona is gone........everyone needs to move on

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today!:
    Cafardo on NESN just speculated that BV may just be trying to fire up the team with those remarks.
    Posted by Firefligh2008

Why does a team that's won 3 in a row need firing up?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today!:
    Cafardo on NESN just speculated that BV may just be trying to fire up the team with those remarks.
    Posted by Firefligh2008
    one would think there's a better way than tweaking a player...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

To have Pedroia come out like that in Youk's defense with those words shows that there is a lot more being said in the clubhouse social atmosphere than we know.  Stuff like that usually doesn't come out until well into the pressure packed season and definitely not from a guy like Pedroia. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

Posted by Firefligh2008

And he did! Also think there's more going on behind the scenes and BV is making a statement to all. "I'm steering this ship"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Valentine made a poor management decision. He should have gone to Youk directly with his concerns and not air it out in the press. Managing through the press is bush league and the players don't have to put up with it. Valentine should be a man and have the guts to communicate with his players eye to eye.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Back when Jimy Williams was the manager, the players would come into the clubhouse and check the line up to see if they were playing that day.  If they weren't playing, some of the players would walk to the managers office and give Williams the finger.

I wonder how long before the current crop of players start doing that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Posted by Firefligh2008

Usually when one wants to fire up their team, .. like this instance, .. to manufacture a "us against them" mentality the manager would be included in the "us" part.

I can't understand why Valentine would be so stupid as to pick such a public fight so early in the season.  And, wait until Youkilis started to show life at the plate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This validates the comments made by Schilling, who while often is a grandstanding blow-hard of the highest degree, that players were already grumbling about Valentine's bedside manner. Transitioning from not being called out publicly to being called out by your manager during a 3-game win streak no less, that shows the disharmony. But disharmony can be a driving force to winning, just ask the 1972-74 A's who often had clubhouse scrapes and diva v diva fights.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

This validates the comments made by Schilling, who while often is a grandstanding blow-hard of the highest degree, that players were already grumbling about Valentine's bedside manner. Transitioning from not being called out publicly to being called out by your manager during a 3-game win streak no less, that shows the disharmony. But disharmony can be a driving force to winning, just ask the 1972-74 A's who often had clubhouse scrapes and diva v diva fights.
    Posted by dannycater

It can also be the prelude to full scale revolt too.  This isn't 40 years ago.  The players were different the game was different, .. our culture was different.

There has to be better ways to motivate a team the calling out one of the respected veterans only 10 games into the season.

Whether Valentine intended to call Youkilis out or it just came out that way it reminds me of the comedic line;... (Valentine) had the right to remain silent but not the ability.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"As usual the Boston media is blowing this thing up way too much"

Umm, well, two things: 1. this is a national media story and has gotten plenty of national coverage  2. it's an interesting story so it's not surprising people want to read about

The news cycle is what it is but the fact remains Valentine handled this poorly and put himself in the posiition of having to make an emasculating apology to Youk today. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This song is dedicated to Bobby V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4S0ddDON8I

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]This validates the comments made by Schilling, who while often is a grandstanding blow-hard of the highest degree, that players were already grumbling about Valentine's bedside manner. Transitioning from not being called out publicly to being called out by your manager during a 3-game win streak no less, that shows the disharmony. But disharmony can be a driving force to winning, just ask the 1972-74 A's who often had clubhouse scrapes and diva v diva fights.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE
    I seem to recall that those Oakland teams whomped on one another but did not challenge the manager. Big difference from what appears to be happening in Boston.

Sections
Shortcuts