Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today!

In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today! : [QUOTE]This validates the comments made by Schilling, who while often is a grandstanding blow-hard of the highest degree, that players were already grumbling about Valentine's bedside manner. Transitioning from not being called out publicly to being called out by your manager during a 3-game win streak no less, that shows the disharmony. But disharmony can be a driving force to winning, just ask the 1972-74 A's who often had clubhouse scrapes and diva v diva fights. Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE I seem to recall that those Oakland teams whomped on one another but did not challenge the manager. Big difference from what appears to be happening in Boston.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]
    Interesting. I seem to recall that these 1972-74 A's teams were managed by Dick Williams - no shrinking violet himself.

I fear that these public ministrations by Bobby V will be all too common.

The press will eat it up, but I myself will just yawn and eventually stop paying attention.

Gee, I wonder how things are going in Liverpool?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no question that the players were fighting amongst themselves more so over the manager in Oakland success days. So yes, this is a little different. The 75,78,95,03,04,07 teams were all player-manager types and were sucessful. Not too many examples of authoritarian figure manager being a winner in Boston. McCarthy? Dick Williams in 67. Run out of town by 70.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Bottom line is those 70's a's and Yankee teams are the exceptions, not the rule.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The only message Bobby V sent to the team was that he doesn't have their backs and that he shows questionable judgement when talking to the media.

If I were a player, I wouldn't trust Bobby V. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think the greater message from all of this is that Pedroia finally stepped up to be a clubhouse leader. It's great to finally see a Sox defend a Sox to management. Not a lot of worrying about the other guy in that clubhouse last 3 years. Pedroia backed up Youkilis and that's fine by me. Makes me root for him even more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today!:
    [QUOTE]new boss and new rules
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

New rules ?? running to the Media instead of man up to Youk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

The way the team uses the media is pathetic. Talk to each other, take care of things in house, have some pride and respect for your team.

And by team, I mean the entire organization from the owner, to the players, to the managers, to the groundskeepers. Have some respect for each other and stop pointing fingers at each other.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]There are no free passes in this league.  Perform or you're out.  The manager has to win.  It's not like he threw a chump out there at 3rd base because Youk wasn't performing.
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

What if you didn't perform at work and your boss went to the media. He could make a AZZ out of you on TV.... ????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think the stupidity about the quote had more to do with the timing. Sox on a high, on a 3-game win streak, feeling good, and BV calls out Youks? It's well, dumb.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis: 'I was confused' by Valentine remarks-Not in lineup today! : It can also be the prelude to full scale revolt too.  This isn't 40 years ago.  The players were different the game was different, .. our culture was different. There has to be better ways to motivate a team the calling out one of the respected veterans only 10 games into the season. Whether Valentine intended to call Youkilis out or it just came out that way it reminds me of the comedic line;... (Valentine) had the right to remain silent but not the ability.
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

If Youk is hurting it was right to sit him today, if not and Bobby just made the decision on his own to play Punto the guy has issues that will only get worse with our players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Youks is trade-bait.

Start playing better is the answer.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts