Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Kevin Youkilis sai...

WEEI:

As Daisuke Matsuzaka was being booed as he took the mound for the start of Monday's game, Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis couldn't believe his ears. Seven innings of one-hit, shutout pitching later, those boos turned to cheers as he left the mound. The pitcher who gave up seven runs and eight hits over two-plus innings seven days earlier turned in a great outing to lead the Red Sox to a 9-1 win over the Blue Jays. 

Youkilis couldn't help but find the irony in the situation.

"One thing that was a little shocking was before the game he got booed," Youkilis said. "It's funny how he came off the field, everyone was cheering. It's kind of foot-in-the-mouth right there but it's good how he responded to that, too."

Youkilis went on to explain that he and the team understand the frustration of the bad start but that it's still early in the season.

"That's one of the things that's tough right now," he said. "We're starting to play a little bit better and we know it's frustating for all the fans out there and we're just as much frustrated, too. Be positive and good things will happen and that's just the message about everyone. We just got to stay positive in here, outside the clubhouse, and good things will happen."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-Should he have been surp...

Should he have have been "a little shocked"? No, there are a lot of idiots in that park - and on this list - every day.  He must know that by now.  Booing your own player, when he appears to care and to be trying hard...even if perhaps making some mistakes...is disgusting and counterproductive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Shou...

I wasn't clear from reading his comments if the shock came from the booing itself, or how quickly the crowd turned it around to cheering (after a scoreless first inning).  At any rate, the same happened for Crawford.  Booed until he doubled off the wall, then it was a standing O.  Fickle fans...that should not surprise any athlete in Boston, me thinks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Shou...

Long ago, my father taught me NEVER (a) leave the game before it's over, even when your team is down 10 runs, or (b) boo your own players. Unfortunately, the class with which Pop lived his life isn't as common these days.

To boo Daisuke BEFORE the game, at a point when we're all hoping he goes out and turns his season around, is as classless (and idiotic) as it gets. Not to mention the hypocricy of then cheering him later. I almost wish he had flipped everyone off (though he has too much class for that). 

Should Youk have been shocked? Probably not. He understands the culture around here. It's awfully disappointing, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

It just shows there are still a lot of pink hats in the throngs at Fenway these days.  If a similar situation had occurred say 20 years ago, it would be unimaginable to me that booing someone like that would have ever occurred.  Now if this same pitcher had gone out and thrown another stinker it would then be completely understandable once the game were in progress.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

This is America--fans have the right to express themselves (unless it becomes name-calling or profanity).  

But that is Boston, where expectations are much higher compared to other cities.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

It ain't little league. But I wouldn't boo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

To boo BEFORE the game starts is crazy to me.  Its like the fans wanted Dice K to fail.  I understand booing a bad performance but not before the next start.  Why doesn't everyone go to his home and just boo him 24/7.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The pre-game booing was, hopefully, just the last throes of the inevitable Nation freak out over the horrific start.  Personally, I am of the RELAX EVERYONE, ITS APRIL mindset.  But that didn't fly with many here and around the Nation.  If there is one thing this post-2004 Sox Nation is about, it is impatience.  Unfortunately, baseball requires an inordinate amount of that stuff.  Stupid move to boo your guy before he makes a pitch, but, hey, it ain't the good ol' days anymore.  The Mr. Doblers of the world seem to be long gone, replaced by ersatz football fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

The booing may have been 500, 1000, or 2000 of the 37,000 fans and the sound of it dependent on where stadium microphones are. Any booing is heard and is reported as being indicative of the whole crowd. It makes good press to exaggerate it. What negated the Crawford booing by a factor of ten was the standing ovation and crowd exuberance when Crawford got the double in yesterday's game. A certain number of fans are fickle and impatient  as they are on this forum. You can set your watch by some "fans" on this forum being fickle after a loss. Bosox-11 / BaseballDr starts an anti-Tito thread after every bowel movement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised?:
    [QUOTE]This is America--fans have the right to express themselves (unless it becomes name-calling or profanity).   But that is Boston, where expectations are much higher compared to other cities.  
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

I've been to numerous games before moving to Milwaukee and profanity from a few fans it not unusual at Fenway. I've heard the F--- word and more used loudly at the park with children within a row or two of the idiots yelling the profanities. I've only been to a few games at Miller Park and Wrigley and somehow don't run into the same rudeness. I've heard commentators on the TV tube say the Boston and Philly are the roughest places to play regarding the fans. How true I'm not sure, but I've been watching sports for 50 years and heard this more than once over the years.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Well this long-time Sox fan is rather disappointed that Dice-K would get boo'd by the fans at Fenway yesterday before the game even started. That lends credence to the pink-hat nature of many fans around here now who have become totally impatient with the team since they won a couple of championships...

...I can not imagine how this same group would have responded to some of the teams in the 70's, 80's and 90's that went through equally, if not tougher times.

I guess if players are going to be so well compensated at the expense of the customer ticket price, then there is an allowance for booing...but before the guy even throws a pitch??? That is not a good reflection of how many long-time Boston Red Sox fans would respond.

Also, to boo Carl Crawford right now is also pathetic, as anyone and their mothers can see the guy is pressing and over-trying to get past this tough beginning...do these booing fans really think that helps a player get out of a slump or just make THEM feel better?

Maybe a long road trip is what the doctor ordered just to get away from the impatient ones now filling the seats at Fenway these days.

I guess the reality of the situation is that it is all about the money to many Sox fans now.

Just my two cents on the matter!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised?:
    [QUOTE]To boo BEFORE the game starts is crazy to me.  Its like the fans wanted Dice K to fail.  I understand booing a bad performance but not before the next start.  Why doesn't everyone go to his home and just boo him 24/7.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Jim, I'm convinced there are some Sox fans (or so they claim) who get their jollies seeing the Sox lose. I won't name names, but there are certain posters who we haven't heard from for the last three days. But if the Sox lose tonight, rest assured, they'll be front and center.

On the other hand, given how well Daisuke pitched yesterday, maybe the fans should boo him before every start. (To quote Michael Scott, "I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

I don't think the booing means that fans are pink-hats, hell, it means they're paying attention and they care. I do agree that booing a player before a start is ridiculous (at least right now). But I'll be honest, if it were August and this team were under .500 I would boo my lungs out, the whole time I were at Fenway.

Also, there are clearly posters here who love to see the team fail, just so they can talk about how they are the ones who know (or would know, or knew) better. "If I were the manager/GM/etc. I would never have . . . " That's why I should be a baseballGM. I'm not sure they're indicative of the fans at Fenway though. The internet seems to bring out the dregs sometimes (alongside those who are here for discussion and information).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YAZTERDAY. Show YAZTERDAY's posts

if the SOX fans boo every SOX underachiever, they will all contract laryngitis.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised? : I agree.  Some fans boo and some don't, it doesn't make you any more of a fan cause you don't boo.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

True, doesn't make one more or less of a fan Jarret.  However, I submit that, regardless of a good or bad label, it is a STUPID fan that boos his/her team's starting pitcher as he is taking the mound for a start.  Expressing your dissatisfaction over the previous start is so important that you would risk messing with the pitcher's confidence and thus the potential for a W?  I don't know about good or bad, but that seems pretty stupid.  Good for Daisuke for not letting it affect him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

“I tend to have a little bit of a negative aspect and I tend to think many thoughts from listening and hearing from people,” Matsuzaka said through his interpreter. “The biggest thing is I tried to not think too much about my outings. All I can do is pitch my best, and the result will follow through after showing my best performance. The time between the last game and today’s game, I had time to think about it and tried to think more simple. . . . If I did pitch badly, I thought there wouldn’t be the next chance.”

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised? : Jim, I'm convinced there are some Sox fans (or so they claim) who get their jollies seeing the Sox lose. I won't name names, but there are certain posters who we haven't heard from for the last three days. But if the Sox lose tonight, rest assured, they'll be front and center. On the other hand, given how well Daisuke pitched yesterday, maybe the fans should boo him before every start. (To quote Michael Scott, "I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious."
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Lloyd,

I respect you for not naming names. I've taken to putting a block on a few of these posters because when I read their negative posts I just get riled up and respond in kind, when in reality there is no reasoning with some who post here. The Sox could win 120 games, win the World Series and some would still hate Tito 

Unfortunately there are a few who post here and they no little about what they're talking about with little to no information to back up these posts. Example: The Red Sox spring training was a vacation for the player, Tito didn't work them hard enough so they weren't prepared for the season, or my favorite from yesterday, "Tito coddles his players". I'd like to know where some get their information. Do they have club house insiders we don't know about !! 

Regards, 
    Hetchinspete  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]Long ago, my father taught me NEVER (a) leave the game before it's over, even when your team is down 10 runs, or (b) boo your own players. Unfortunately, the class with which Pop lived his life isn't as common these days.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

You mean like all those classy old timers that used to boo guys like Ted Williams, hurling racist insults at him... yeah classy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Well, Youk has the right name as you can't distinguish the "Yoooouuuuks" from the boos.  If my ego were so fragile as a baseball player, I'd change my name from losmediasrojas to loosmoodiasroojas. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised? : You mean like all those classy old timers that used to boo guys like Ted Williams, hurling racist insults at him... yeah classy
    Posted by WCPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Hurling racist insults at Ted Williams ??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised? :   Hurling racist insults at Ted Williams ??
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

This is from an ask.yahoo post.

Why did Ted Williams spit on Red Sox fans?

is Red Sox nation that annoying

August 7, 1956 - In a game against the Yankees at Fenway Park, Williams drop an easy fly ball and is booed lustily by Red Sox fans. At the end of the inning, Williams jogs toward the dugout and launches into one of the worst tantrums of his career by spitting at fans near the dugout. Williams is fined $5,000 but tells the Boston Herald he doesn't regret his actions. "I'd spit again at those booing bastards," Williams says.
    www.sportingnews.com/archives/williams/timeline.html">http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/wil…

And as a follow up:

read in his book that the fans of Boston found out that he was half Mexican and were making racial slurs at him calling him a Chili Picker

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised? : This is from an ask.yahoo post. Why did Ted Williams spit on Red Sox fans? is Red Sox nation that annoying August 7, 1956 - In a game against the Yankees at Fenway Park, Williams drop an easy fly ball and is booed lustily by Red Sox fans. At the end of the inning, Williams jogs toward the dugout and launches into one of the worst tantrums of his career by spitting at fans near the dugout. Williams is fined $5,000 but tells the Boston Herald he doesn't regret his actions. "I'd spit again at those booing bastards," Williams says. www.sportingnews.com/archives/williams/timeline.html " /> http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/wil… And as a follow up:  read in his book that the fans of Boston found out that he was half Mexican and were making racial slurs at him calling him a Chili Picker
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

Thanks Los.  Good stuff.  I never knew that he was slurred thusly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Wakefield's the guy who should get boohed. What he's doing isn't MLB pitching.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis said he was "a little shocked" to hear the Fenway fans booing Matsuzaka-'Foot-in-the-mouth'-Should he have been surprised? : You mean like all those classy old timers that used to boo guys like Ted Williams, hurling racist insults at him... yeah classy
    Posted by WCPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Hmm ... I can assure you my Pop never booed or hurled racist insults at anyone, let alone Ted Williams.