Kevin Youkilis, Sox mates not stand-up guys

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Re: Kevin Youkilis, Sox mates not stand-up guys

Youk will be traded.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

This just adds to the aurora of baseball players that they are largely (not all, however) a collection of children who refuse to grow up, a group of eternally adolescent cretins with no sense of ADULT responsibility what-so-ever. These guys, some of who we truly believed were professionals, are, in actuality, reprobates and cowardly fools. This team is entirely devoid of leadership in that clubhouse. And that cannot come from "management". For it to be real and effective, players that other players look up to have to be BOTH vocal and "by performance on the field" leaders.

Youk has now shown himself to be just another coward, all protestations otherwise. Speaking his mind about Ellsbury is probably more a reflection of some personal animus he has with Ellsbury , rather than a man who speaks his mind out of some sense of team outrage. There is nothing worse than someone who hides behind self-righteous indignation on a phony veneer of self appointed team spokesmanship simply to attack a single individual they just don't like. Way to go Youk, you are nothing but a gutless wonder.

This just goes to show that baseball players are much dumber than who I thought was the dumbest group, hockey players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

In that same interview, Youkilis trotted out more excuses for being overweight than a fat girl sneaking home with a carton of ice cream.

The best part was citing Babe Ruth as "the greatest player of all time."  No, he was the greatest player of the 20's. 

Maybe Kevin has been too busy tucking into another lobster roll to notice that pro baseball has changed a bit from the 20's.  Or should we have starting pitchers toss 30 complete games a year?  And Youk, if we're going to use the wayback machine to re-enter the Ruth Era, then you are going to play with that hernia for several seasons.  SEVERAL SEASONS. 

The rest of his bloviating was alternately hilarious and infuriating for it's self-serving qualities and hypocrisy.

Kevin Youkilis is a serious head case, and I think he ought to be shipped out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

In Response to Kevin Youkilis, Sox mates not stand-up guys:
    By Gerry Callahan /Boston Herald: S o let’s see if we have this straight: Kevin Youkilis [ stats ] wants everyone to know that he was present and accounted for at Fenway Park [ map ] for the final few weeks of the Red Sox [ team stats ] season even though he was injured and unavailable to play. That’s important to him, said Youk. Injured guys should be with their teammates. Jacoby Ellsbury [ stats ] should have stuck around last season when he was hurt, just as Youkilis did at the end of this season. Youk went on the shelf for good Sept. 16, but he was there for the last two weeks, in the dugout, in the clubhouse, in support of his teammates. So if he spent all that time just hanging around, he must have seen his teammates drinking beer during games? I mean, it would have been hard to miss his bloated buds guzzling away while the season went down the drain. It is over the line by any standards, and Youkilis had to have noticed it. Right, Youk? Well . . . um . . . actually . . . no. Youkilis was around all the time. He just wasn’t around for that . The beer drinking in the clubhouse? That must have taken place while Youk was in the dugout or in the shower or maybe in the trainer’s room — you know, doing what hurt guys are supposed to do. Youk is a position player, you see, and position players were just too busy to notice what the slobs in the rotation were doing during their off days. Here is what Youkilis told Greg Hill and Lyndon Byers on WAAF [ website ] yesterday: “A lot of us position players, we’re too busy playing that we don’t know what’s going on. There’s things that you have no idea what’s going on. You’re so busy that you don’t even know half the stuff. That’s the funny thing, too, is that I’m always the last person to find out things, too.” So he was hurt and not playing, but he was too busy, well, being a position player to notice that a handful of his teammates were cracking cold ones during games and essentially giving up on the season. Got it, Youk. When asked if he cared if his teammates were drinking during games, Youkilis said, “I don’t think that’s the right thing to do, personally. I don’t think it’s the proper way to go about things, but I also don’t think that’s how you win or lose games. To say that’s the reason why you’re losing games, I don’t think so, but yes, I don’t think that’s the right thing to do.” John Tomase broke the story of the beer-drinking pitchers in the Herald last Friday, and a remarkable thing happened in the four days since: No one refuted the charges. Not the manager or the general manager or the players. There have been halfhearted attempts by fans and talk-show callers to downplay it — what’s wrong with a cold beer on your day off? — but that just doesn’t fly. The story of the 2011 Red Sox season begins and ends with their historic September collapse, and no one bears more responsibility than the starting pitchers. They averaged fewer than five innings per start. They had an ERA of 7.08. They clearly lacked the toughness and stamina to pitch into the late innings, and maybe we found out why: Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through a pennant race, son. The Red Sox were one win away — hell, one strike away — from a one-game playoff. They blew a chance at the postseason, and they cost their manager his job. You want to downplay it, you go ahead. But there’s really no denying this: If the starting pitchers had any respect for their teammates or manager, the Red Sox still are playing today. And now we wonder: Where was Captain Varitek? Where were Dustin Pedroia [ stats ] and David Ortiz [ stats ] ? Where was Youkilis? Where were the leaders? Some of their teammates quit on a certain playoff team — Best Team Ever, someone said — and no one has the stones to call them out? Youkilis said any teammate who leaked such a story without putting his name to it was “a coward.” When asked if there was a cooler with beer in the clubhouse, he said, “I don’t know if I’m allowed to say if there is or there isn’t.” If you’re allowed, Youk? How about you say this? How about somebody on that team stand up and scream this: So let’s see if we have this straight: Kevin Youkilis [ stats ] wants everyone to know that he was present and accounted for at Fenway Park [ map ] for the final few weeks of the Red Sox [ team stats ] season even though he was injured and unavailable to play. That’s important to him, said Youk. Injured guys should be with their teammates. Jacoby Ellsbury [ stats ] should have stuck around last season when he was hurt, just as Youkilis did at the end of this season. Youk went on the shelf for good Sept. 16, but he was there for the last two weeks, in the dugout, in the clubhouse, in support of his teammates.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

good post, hit  the nail on the head

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

If the Sox were one strike away from winning and the Rays were one strike away from losing their last game then perhaps Gonzalez was right.

IT WASN"T MEANT TO BE.
    GET OVER IT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Is Callahan this disingenuous or is he just that stupid?

Callahan's centerpiece is Tomase's story that pitchers not scheduled to play that day went into the clubhouse in the late innings during a 14-0 RS win and cracked open beers. And he dove tails Jackie Mac's story about Youk and his subsequent appearance on a morning radio show that runs opposite Callahan's with expert deception to create and further feed fan anger.

But let's look closer at this story:

Let's forget that the story has never had a named source. But even in that story it was one incident that was reported and without ever saying it directly, Callahan has joined a growing list of mediots whose content infers in the strongest way that this incident was a regular event, rather than a single transgression during a blow out.

Now it is bad enough if it in fact it was a singular event but that makes for a very different story and not one that serves Callahan's purpose here if it was a one time thing.

Where this all gets to be manipulative IMO is when Callahan asks where were Youk, Pedey, Tek and Ortiz. He has to know the answer doesn't he? They were in the dugout or on the field, there was a game still going on which is what makes the beer drinking the least bit relevant.

He asks where Youk was because he was hurt and not playing. He must be suggesting that Youk should have been policing the clubhouse rather than be on the bench in the dugout rooting his team on.

So let me get this straight, Jackie Mac rips Youk for having his noise in everybody else's affairs and Callahan rips him for not being an unpaid security guard.

Now Callahan and everyone else does make a valid point about the incident. It showed a lack of respect for the game, even in a blow out. It showed a lack of engagement. It IMO reflected a misguided feeling that the team could and would turn it on when they wanted to and that in meantime they could coast to their predetermined destination of the playoffs. I am not defending it but do ask where is proportionality here?

Youkilis got pulled into all of this because he made comments a year ago that Ellsbury should have followed normal team procedures and either worked out with the team or in Ft Myers. This whole thing is a testimony to the type of "journalism" engaged in Boston.

It starts with Youk actually being a handy sound bite when the target was the injured Ellsbury. At that time it was Youk being the good guy and Ellsbury the evil puppet of the Agent of Darkness.

This summer Ells is having a great year and Jackie Mac dusts it off the sound bite to use Youk now as a hard azz proven wrong in her love story about Jacoby. It later becomes the foundation of her story that Youk was a caustic character in the clubhouse in the final two weeks. It is anyone's guess just what it was that he was doing because Jackie provides no detail mind you. Jackie to her own admittance was only in their clubhouse 4 times in all of September and doesn't even have the cover of unnamed sources, just her expert observations as a career NBA beat writer.

This fine bit of Op-ed minus sources or any deep connections in that clubhouse then becomes a platform for Callahan to take extra shots a guy who had the nerve to appear on a morning show opposite his. And for good measure he throws Tek, Pedey and Ortiz on the fire. He then for good measure grabs the most controversial story, the one about beer in the clubhouse before the game has ended. He content infers that it was a near daily event. He blasts the pitching staff as "fat, drunk and stupid".

I know it is Op-Ed but he tasks a lot of license here and along the way shots at a lot of people.

There will be culture change in our Boston Red Sox. That will be a good thing. One thing that would be good. Turn the RS into the Pats. Give the media nothing. Talk in one voice, always in cliche and never deviate from the company line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I hate to say it, but Callahan got it right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Youk wont have an after baseball career with the WWF

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like to say it: katz got it right.

(Not that Youk is a wonderful teammate. I actually agreed with Manny doing what many of his teammates felt needed to be done a few years back.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Katz >>> Callahan.

/thread

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis, Sox mates not stand-up guys:
    I hate to say it, but Callahan got it right.
    Posted by Ergoetal

Youk has had his share of issues over the years.  Much like Lackey he gets a bit too emotional and instead of just keeping quiet says the wrong things.  Youk is also probably the easiest to trade but unfortunately 3B is much harder for us to fill.  Middlebrooks isn't close to being a solid major league 3B so unless we could find one through trade it would be Aviles or Lowrie at this point.

I'm not sure who "if anyone" was drinking during games or in the clubhouse.  It could have just come from one of those lonely writers to get attention when the Sox were struggling.

Sections
Shortcuts