Kevin Youkilis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Kevin Youkilis

There has been a lot of trashing of Youkilis so far this season , but I thought I would look at his numbers a bit.  Take out his first 3 games (0-12), and over the last 13 he is hitting .304/.365/.478  If he stays healthy, I think that is what we can expect over the rest of the year (probably a lower BA though and more walks).  It goes to show you how much a small 3 game hitless streak can affect ones numbers this early in the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Kevin Youkilis

Heck, go ahead and take out all his at bats when he didn't get a hit and his batting 1.000. Right now, he looks like he is in a groove except of course that he just struck out on 3 pitches with two runners on, then botched a routine play which led to an unearned run and a tie game. I want Youk to succeed and agree April ain't the proof of the pudding. I also think this is his last year in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

You are missing the point.  The 3 game hitless streak skews his early season stats. 

Yes, he struck out twice, but he also walked twice and scored two runs.  

And I agree, with Middlebrooks being very close to ready right now, this will be Youk's last season here.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Youkilis:
    [QUOTE]You are missing the point.  The 3 game hitless streak skews his early season stats.  Yes, he struck out twice, but he also walked twice and scored two runs.   And I agree, with Middlebrooks being very close to ready right now, this will be Youk's last season here.   
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]

Unless it is Ortiz' last season...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I am too lazy to do it, but I wonder how Youk's statistic break down between when he was hitting in the 4 hole, and when he hits in the 6 hole? Not sure the statistics back me up, but it seems he broke out of his slump when Bobby V moved him out of the cleanup spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I am too lazy to do it, but I wonder how Youk's statistic break down between when he was hitting in the 4 hole, and when he hits in the 6 hole? Not sure the statistics back me up, but it seems he broke out of his slump when Bobby V moved him out of the cleanup spot.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

You don't need ambition to find that out; you need the internet.  The internet is the exact opposite of ambition

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=youklke01&year=2012&t=b

And you can see you are correct.  Batting 4th this season, Youkilis has a .540 OPS is 22 plate appearances.   Batting 6th, he has a 1.010 OPS in 26PA.  (Batting 5th, he has a .313OPS in 16PA). Whether this is cause/effect or coincidence can be determined later.

Hopefully he can keep this up, which is the important thing...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Thanks notin,

Here I thought I would have to look at all the box scores and figure it out for myself and Baseballreference.com has it all done for me.  I added a new favorite tonight.  Youk was back in the cleanup spot tonight and went 0-3, so the difference is even greater now.  Bobby V seems intent on batting Youk 4th again, now that he is out of his slump (at least against lefties).  We shall see what that does for the Youk's average and splits.  I like him in the 6 hole.  Even without the 1.010 OPS, Youk is a great #6 batter.  Not too many teams can bat someone that good at #6.

And yes, hopefully Youk keeps it going.  Quality at bats from Youk do a great deal for the offense of this team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

You stat guys are awesome. I don't care if he is in the 3 spot or what ever spot etc....I look at the game and how someone responds when its needed.  I have always been a Youk fan he plays hard and for the most part gets the job done.  Lately he had had his struggles but is coming around which certainly makes this team better.  I attribute this turn around to a couple of things...1.  Getting the rust off early in the season and 2) I think seeing someone in the rear view mirror puts a certain of fire under your butt.  Middlebrooks is pushing and Youk is just stepping up.  Iggy is pushing and Aviles is stepping up, Lava is pushing and Salty is stepping up. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Kevin's defense he did spend most of last year nursing injuries and did have an operation this past winter for his sprts hernia. It's tough to keep your swing grooved when your body doesn't allow you to take your hacks everyday in the cage. His slow start is probably due to that and frankly he might well be trying to do too much...

Typically it takes about 100 at bats before the numbers truly begin to have weight. Ortiz isn't likely to hit .400 all year and Youk's if healthy won't hit .200 either. Both will more than likely have numbers that reflect thier career averages...The good news for Sox fans is if Youk can indeed give us 500 healthy at bats with a 900 OPS. Our lineup will be tough, becasue he is the missing link right now. "The impact middle of the order righthanded bat" that everyone has been calling for us to aquire...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]You stat guys are awesome. I don't care if he is in the 3 spot or what ever spot etc....I look at the game and how someone responds when its needed.  I have always been a Youk fan he plays hard and for the most part gets the job done.  Lately he had had his struggles but is coming around which certainly makes this team better.  I attribute this turn around to a couple of things...1.  Getting the rust off early in the season and 2) I think seeing someone in the rear view mirror puts a certain of fire under your butt.  Middlebrooks is pushing and Youk is just stepping up.  Iggy is pushing and Aviles is stepping up, Lava is pushing and Salty is stepping up. 
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

Im not sure Youk cares where he hits either.

Yes, he has hit better in the 6th spot, but we are talking about small sample sizes.  His early struggles could also be tied to the pitchers he is facing...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]I am too lazy to do it, but I wonder how Youk's statistic break down between when he was hitting in the 4 hole, and when he hits in the 6 hole? Not sure the statistics back me up, but it seems he broke out of his slump when Bobby V moved him out of the cleanup spot.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

Ortiz should be hitting 4th. Agon will see better pitches than with Youk there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ortiz should hit third, period. Now that he is hitting to all fields, he is awfully tough and easily the best on the Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts