Key to Jon Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Key to Jon Lester

Family is very important especially the wife and kids. One of the keys to Lester coming back is if he put his home up for sale and moved lock, stock, and barrel to Oakland. If he still has his home in Boston, there is a possibility of him coming back but Luchinno has to make an offer comparable to what would be out there. I am sure he would rather have his family see him in Boston then track to the Bronx and see him there. New York has a rough reputation, just ask Ciff Lee's wife when some fans tortured her by spitting at her, cursing, and dumping beer on her. That experienced turned her off to the New York Yankee scene several years ago. Bucholtz wife also had a real negative experience in the Bronx several years ago as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Key to Jon Lester

He certainly wouldn't move to Oakland, he won't be there very long regardless of where he is next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think there is at least a 50% chance he comes back.  He wants to come back, Boston needs an ace, and they have PLENTY of money.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's taking the ball opening day in 2015.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html

Jon Lester may be playing in Oakland, but he knows his time there will almost certainly be short, as John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports. Looking ahead to the free agent market, the lefty said that the Red Sox made clear that they intend to pursue a return. “At the end of the season, [the trade is] not going to change my mind about going back there if they are aggressive and competitive and do the things they say they’re going to do,” Lester said in reference to his long-time club. “They told me, ‘We’re going to be aggressive. You’re going to get blown out of the water by some of these [other] offers,’” said Lester, who maintains that the sticker shock will not be the most important factor for him. “I’m not going to the highest bidder. I’m going to the place that makes me and my family happy. If that’s Boston, it’s Boston.”

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think there is at least a 50% chance he comes back.  He wants to come back, Boston needs an ace, and they have PLENTY of money.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html

Jon Lester may be playing in Oakland, but he knows his time there will almost certainly be short, as John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports. Looking ahead to the free agent market, the lefty said that the Red Sox made clear that they intend to pursue a return. “At the end of the season, [the trade is] not going to change my mind about going back there if they are aggressive and competitive and do the things they say they’re going to do,” Lester said in reference to his long-time club. “They told me, ‘We’re going to be aggressive. You’re going to get blown out of the water by some of these [other] offers,’” said Lester, who maintains that the sticker shock will not be the most important factor for him. “I’m not going to the highest bidder. I’m going to the place that makes me and my family happy. If that’s Boston, it’s Boston.”

[/QUOTE]

He has kids and they are in school and families do not like to disrupt routines. I think he has two kids.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I keep coming back to, if the Sox wanted to throw a ton of money at a top pitcher, why didn't they just do it this past off season?

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I keep coming back to, if the Sox wanted to throw a ton of money at a top pitcher, why didn't they just do it this past off season?

[/QUOTE]

It's a very valid question, but there are possible answers.  Maybe they really did decide to postpone negotiations until after the season.  Maybe the Sox wanted to see how he did this year.  Maybe Jon has given them strong assurances he wants to stay in Boston.

The truth will be revealed in a few months. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

You have to love this part from the Herald article about his 4 year old's take on all this (Doolittle is the A's closer):

The adjustment has been toughest on his family. He’s living with his wife, Farrah, and two sons in a rented house. Lester’s parents have come down from Washington to help. His 4-year-old, Hudson, recently asked Doolittle if he pitched for the Red Sox.

“He thinks the house we’re staying in is a cool hotel for the weekend,” Lester said. “He wants to know when we’re going home. So that’s hard.”

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html

[/QUOTE]

He has kids and they are in school and families do not like to disrupt routines. I think he has two kids.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are definitely intangibles to these types of situations that are definitely ignored.  Family is a big one. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/al-east-notes-lester-cespedes-machado-wagner.html

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lester has a mansion in Atlanta, which is where he lives in the off season.  That will obviously help the Braves if they decide to pursue him, but it likely won't be much of a factor for any other team.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The key$ to re$igning Jon Le$ter are a my$tery to mo$t of u$. They lay $till and hidden in the confine$ of the $alary $tructure of ba$eball'$ luxury tax. If the $ox want Le$ter back they will need to $ort it all out thi$ off$ea$on.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

seattle is not far from oakland...he might stay on the left coast

As always - 100% correct!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

Family is very important especially the wife and kids. One of the keys to Lester coming back is if he put his home up for sale and moved lock, stock, and barrel to Oakland. If he still has his home in Boston, there is a possibility of him coming back but Luchinno has to make an offer comparable to what would be out there. I am sure he would rather have his family see him in Boston then track to the Bronx and see him there. New York has a rough reputation, just ask Ciff Lee's wife when some fans tortured her by spitting at her, cursing, and dumping beer on her. That experienced turned her off to the New York Yankee scene several years ago. Bucholtz wife also had a real negative experience in the Bronx several years ago as well.

[/QUOTE]

1) very few like to move ..........FA choose 2 all the time

2) mrs lester will be sitting w/nyy wives get back 2 me when they have a problem

Re: Key 1 to Jon Lester

Yet when Cherington and the Red Sox tackle the rebuilding program, they do not see landing an “ace” as part of that task. In fact, it’s not even essential.“We just want to be good,” said Cherington before last night’s game. “We need to build a good team, we need to win games. There’s different ways to do that. It’s nice to have an ace at the top of the rotation, but you can be good in different ways. We’ve had really good teams without that.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2014/08/ben_cherington_no_ace_no_problem

Re: Key 2 to Jon Lester

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

It's a very valid question, but there are possible answers.  Maybe they really did decide to postpone negotiations until after the season.  Maybe the Sox wanted to see how he did this year.  Maybe Jon has given them strong assurances he wants to stay in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

If Jon goes undefeated and wins 3-4 games in playoffs and A's win World Series and I am rooting for them and Jon, his price tag will be about $150 mil. Jon was just as good with us this year but lost many games giving up 3-4 runs, 5-6 hits because we had no offense and opponents usually pitched their best one to fill seats too.

I have been to the first 2 games in Oakland. Jon is 3-0 so far but if he were still with the Sox, he might have been 1-2. Game 2 vs Minn he won 3-0 & gave up 3 hits and we'd won this one too. But game 1 he gave up 9 hits and 3 runs in 6 innings and last night he gave up 6 hits and 3 runs in 6 innings. Naturally, these are good pitching performances but games he could have lost in Boston but Oakland's offense in Game 1 was a 8-3 victory and last night in game 3, a 11-3 victory. He can't be expected to toss a 3 hitter like he did in Game 2 all the time. If we can get him back for even $130 million, unless we keep Cespedes and bolster our offense even more, Jon might only be a .500 pitcher with us. What do you guys think ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I like Lester, and want to see him come back, but don't make it sound like he is a dust bowl refugee. Whether his famil did come down to help, I imagine he can hire help to take up the slack with the kids.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

and the good news is

FWIW

The Red Sox told Lester that they would pursue him "aggressively" in the offseason. What that actually means, however, remains to be seen.

"They told me, 'We're going to be aggressive. You're going to get blown out of the water by some of these [other] offers,'" Lester said. "I'm like, 'I don't need to be blown out of the water.' Why would I need to be blown out of the water? That doesn't make or break your decision, at least for me. I'm not going to the highest bidder. I'm going to the place that makes me and my family happy. If that's Boston, it's Boston."

Lester insists he's not out for a top-dollar contract.

"In the greater scheme of things, we're talking about just a stupid amount of money," he said. "For me, I want to be comfortable. The way I look at it is, if someone gives you $170 million and someone gives you $150 million, is that $20 million really going to change your lifestyle? Same thing if the highest bidder is $100 million and the team you're going to feel most comfortable with offers $80 million. Is that $20 million really going to make the difference in your lifestyle?"

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11347438/oakland-athletics-pitcher-jon-lester-not-ruling-possible-return-boston-red-sox

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Would Lester be happy with 80 mil? I think thats about all the Sox will offer then move on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

The key$ to re$igning Jon Le$ter are a my$tery to mo$t of u$. They lay $till and hidden in the confine$ of the $alary $tructure of ba$eball'$ luxury tax. If the $ox want Le$ter back they will need to $ort it all out thi$ off$ea$on.

$ome on thi$ board feel Le$ter will return $o a$ not to di$rupt hi$ family life. When the Yankee$ $ign him for 160 million, I'm $ure Le$ter will make the move to NY a$ $moothly a$ po$$ible. Le$ter'$ not Ghandi; he'$ a mercenary ju$t like the re$t.

Btw, Pump$ie, u$ing dollar $ign$ for 'S's' when di$cu$$ing major league ba$eball is a grand idea. "$HOW ME THE $$$$$!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Now Jon Lester are saying he isn't going after the highest bidder.  He sounded like he rather to go to a place that he is more comfortable with at the same time he wanted to see his family to feel comfortable living in that city.  I do not think he will go to the Yankees.  He probably do not want his family to be hurt by these red sox fans.

Best shot is for him to come to boston again or move to the west coast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LMFAO...great post.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FWIW, Lester has not sold his home in the Boston area.  He said that he was going to wait until the offseason, and see where things are then.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to az55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would Lester be happy with 80 mil? I think thats about all the Sox will offer then move on.

[/QUOTE]

Olney reported that the Sox were willing to offer Lester a Homer Bailey type deal, 6yrs/$105 million.  Lester's agents said they were looking for a Cole Hamels type deal, 6yrs/$144 mil.  

I figured it would be the number of years that would be the sticking point, but if this report if true, the Sox and Lester are on the same page in terms of the length of the contract.   That being the case, I would think that the two sides would be able to reach an agreement on the dollar amount, especially since Lester is willing to leave money on the table.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

If Jon goes undefeated and wins 3-4 games in playoffs and A's win World Series and I am rooting for them and Jon, his price tag will be about $150 mil. Jon was just as good with us this year but lost many games giving up 3-4 runs, 5-6 hits because we had no offense and opponents usually pitched their best one to fill seats too.

I have been to the first 2 games in Oakland. Jon is 3-0 so far but if he were still with the Sox, he might have been 1-2. Game 2 vs Minn he won 3-0 & gave up 3 hits and we'd won this one too. But game 1 he gave up 9 hits and 3 runs in 6 innings and last night he gave up 6 hits and 3 runs in 6 innings. Naturally, these are good pitching performances but games he could have lost in Boston but Oakland's offense in Game 1 was a 8-3 victory and last night in game 3, a 11-3 victory. He can't be expected to toss a 3 hitter like he did in Game 2 all the time. If we can get him back for even $130 million, unless we keep Cespedes and bolster our offense even more, Jon might only be a .500 pitcher with us. What do you guys think ?

[/QUOTE]

I appreciate Jon saying that where he signs will not be entirely a question of money. We'll see but I usually refer to the saying when negotiating something financial that when someone says" It's not a question of money, ask the question again" !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

They need Lester. He was great for them when it counted. They just don't want to pay the guy and give him the # of years he wants in a contract to give him security. If someone else will, he's not coming back. He might take somewhat less to come back than he'd get elsewhere but he won't take fewer years and he won't take a whole bunch less per year or total contract than he would from anywhere else. Why should he? To be a nice guy?

That is being home town unrealistic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and the good news is

FWIW

The Red Sox told Lester that they would pursue him "aggressively" in the offseason. What that actually means, however, remains to be seen.

"They told me, 'We're going to be aggressive. You're going to get blown out of the water by some of these [other] offers,'" Lester said. "I'm like, 'I don't need to be blown out of the water.' Why would I need to be blown out of the water? That doesn't make or break your decision, at least for me. I'm not going to the highest bidder. I'm going to the place that makes me and my family happy. If that's Boston, it's Boston."

Lester insists he's not out for a top-dollar contract.

"In the greater scheme of things, we're talking about just a stupid amount of money," he said. "For me, I want to be comfortable. The way I look at it is, if someone gives you $170 million and someone gives you $150 million, is that $20 million really going to change your lifestyle? Same thing if the highest bidder is $100 million and the team you're going to feel most comfortable with offers $80 million. Is that $20 million really going to make the difference in your lifestyle?"

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11347438/oakland-athletics-pitcher-jon-lester-not-ruling-possible-return-boston-red-sox" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11347438/oakland-athletics-pitcher-jon-lester-not-ruling-possible-return-boston-red-sox

[/QUOTE]

I think that there is at least even odds Lester returns to Boston. Which means we lost him for three meaningless months and got Cespedes, who could be traded for a very good player or prospect, next offseason, in return. That would be an ideal situation if it comes to pa$$ (couldn't re$i$t).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

This has nothing to do with Lester but I was happy to see Peavy finally get a victory after 2 losses with SF and about 10 losses in a row. He gave up 1 run & 4 hits in 7 innings and Giants gave him a 7 run support. Peavy is OK on a team like even Oakland where Lester is as he is an average pitcher who gives up 3-4 runs and 6-7 hits per 6-7 innings but if a team can bail him out with 6-7 run support, he's OK.