King Felix signs extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: King Felix signs extension

ben had plenty of prospects and money to make this deal for Felix...he could have totally turned this team around...instead he went the Kmart route and we ended up with Dempster...

enjoy last place fools

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben had plenty of prospects and money to make this deal for Felix...he could have totally turned this team around...instead he went the Kmart route and we ended up with Dempster...

enjoy last place fools

you do realize that BOTH teams have to agree to a trade, right?

seriously geo, why bother being a sox fan with not one good thing to say. (im being serious)

I hear the Rays need fans...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

enjoy last place fools

you do realize that BOTH teams have to agreeto a trade, right?

seriously geo, why bother being a sox fan with not one good thing to say. (im being serious)

there has been nothing good about the reign of ben cherington...NOTHING...

he is late 70s Celtics revisted...an embarrassment to a proud tradition the bargain basement signing of questionable talent is a joke and this team will be out of it by the all-star game....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

enjoy last place fools

you do realize that BOTH teams have to agreeto a trade, right?

there has been nothing good about the reign of ben cherington...NOTHING...

he is late 70s Celtics revisted...an embarrassment to a proud tradition the bargain basement signing of questionable talent is a joke and this team will be out of it by the all-star game....

Tampa needs fans. Seriously "fans" like you are the reason that Red Sox fans get a bad name.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Damn!!!!!!... i guess it really is good to be "The King" :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm sure Verlander and Kershaw are happy with this news too.  LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Imagine sending 5-7 of our top 8 prospects and then tying up $25M/yr for 7 years (about 15% of the toal player budget).

I'd love to have Felix on this team, but I just don't see how we could have done this and still been a strong contender. We'd have had no money and no prospects to fill all the gaps.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

what kind of red sox fan is happy that felix is off the market?

dumb

wait, i forgot, we have LACKEY & DEMPSTER!

Felix Hernandez has never been "on the market" since signing with the Mariners as a 16-year-old in 2002.

Exactly! Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik joked before the Winter Meetings that he was going to change his cell phone voice mail greeting to "I'm not trading Felix Hernandez."  The Sox, as did most teams over the years, have definitely tried to acquire him, but he was never going anywhere.  He's the face of that franchise and although it may have been tempting to move him for a prospect haul at times, he's just too important to that organization, on and off the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Mariners did the right thing by signing their ace to an extension.  But the Mariners are far from becoming a playoff team. 

But at least the Mariners will finish ahead of the Astros.   LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The Mariners did the right thing by signing their ace to an extension.  But the Mariners are far from becoming a playoff team. 

I wouldn't say they are "far" from being a playoff team, Ice Cream.  Their line-up could be improved significantly and if a few of these top young pitching prospects are ready to make the jump, I don't think anyone would be surprised to see that club have a season similar to last year's Oakland A's...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8926518/felix-hernandez-seattle-mariners-agree-175-million-contract-according-report

Well I can't say I blame the Mariners.  With the young pitchers they have like Walker, Paxton and Hultzen they could be quite dangerous in a year or two if they can build a more consistent offense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Georom......what deal would you have made then? Give up who?...pay him what?

I don't see what the Sox could have put together for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

you give them boegarts and bradley, and any pitcher not named lester/bucholz and iggy

four players wouldve got it done, and you would have lost NOTHING for it because they are gambling on the future propsects, not us - we are getting the most dominant pitcher since pedro...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

you give them boegarts and bradley, and any pitcher not named lester/bucholz and iggy

four players wouldve got it done, and you would have lost NOTHING for it because they are gambling on the future propsects, not us - we are getting the most dominant pitcher since pedro...

I think it would have taken Bogy, Barnes and Bradley along with a lower ranked prospect to get Felix but who knows. Some of the trades made in recent years have been shocking to say the least.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Maybe in your fantasy league. :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

carnie...thats a good deal for all...you have to give up something to get something...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

carnie...thats a good deal for all...you have to give up something to get something...

That's not nearly enough for Hernandez. And he was never on the trading block anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

enjoy last place fools

Oh Geo.  Enough.  Felix Hernandez was never on the market.  If circumstantial eveidence was not enough to see this before, the hard fact of the deal the Ms just inked him to should get it trhough even the thickest skull.  The Mariners plan is obviously to compete by building a team around the best pitcher on the planet.  Given that they obviously have the means to put that plan in effect, why in the world would they want to give him up for a few good-but-not-earth-shaking prospects.  

Seriously, I can attest to the fact that you have a solid baseball mind when you apply it.  But, you have no idea how stupid your hard-on to smash Cherrington makes you sound.

Us fools may indeed have to enjoy last place.  But King Felix was NEVER coming to Boston, because he was never even being shopped, at all.  Just rumors and innuendos of MLB Trade Rumors and idiots on boards like this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

4??? Sorry, I just stopped there...If it was that easy then there are a number of teams that could have EASILY beat our proposal...Besides the FACT that he was never on the trading block anyway...

I understand that you dont like this "rebulid" or "bridge" thats going on, but it happens to every team at some point. Unfortunately BC was left to clean the mess left by Theo and our current owners. That will take a couple years anyway. So may I suggest learning some patients and some rational thinking.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Mariners did the right thing by signing their ace to an extension.  But the Mariners are far from becoming a playoff team.     But at least the Mariners will finish ahead of the Astros.   LOL

The Mariners are hard to figure out ... Seattle probably does not expect to contend in the tough AL West this year, yet the M's added one-year commitments* in Kendrys Morales, Mike Morse, (reportedly) Joe Saunders, Raul Ibanez, Kelly Shoppach, Jason Bay and Robert Andino (while losing only Jason Vargas, John Jaso and Trayvon Robinson).

This offseason the Mariners augmented their roster without surrendering the No. 12 selection in the June 2013 draft (the second-highest unprotected pick) or touted prospects from their highly-ranked farm system.

I suspect Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik views the one-year commitments as assets that can be flipped at the trade deadline for longer-term assets if the Mariners fall out of contention.

Seattle fans should expect an interesting 2013 season and a promising future.

* in some respects, the Mariner offseason resembled the Red Sox offseason in that each team avoided the big-ticket free agents and opted for shorter-term commitments (although Seattle had the shorter commitments with only Hisashi Iwakuma at two years and Felix Hernandez reportedly at seven years getting multiyear contracts)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In 2009, Theo basically offered the Mariners their choice of whoever they wanted from our farm system for Felix and was rebuffed. Obviously our farm is stronger now than it was then, but I don't see why one would assume Hernandez was any more available this winter...it's not like he was just signed to a MASSIVE extension or anything. 

Shocking as it may be to some, teams are not necessarily going to surrender their superstars just because the Red Sox GM called them up. I'm not sure what motivation the M's supposedly would have had to deal Felix now, because the money to sign him was clearly not a problem. If it was just a matter of putting together the right package of prospects, some team would have made it happen by now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The Mariners are hard to figure out ... Seattle probably does not expect to contend in the tough AL West this year, yet the M's added one-year commitments* in Kendrys Morales, Mike Morse, (reportedly) Joe Saunders, Raul Ibanez, Kelly Shoppach, Jason Bay and Robert Andino (while losing only Jason Vargas, John Jaso and Trayvon Robinson).

This offseason the Mariners augmented their roster without surrendering the No. 12 selection in the June 2013 draft (the second-highest protected pick) or touted prospects from their highly-ranked farm system.

I suspect Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik views the one-year commitments as assets that can be flipped at the trade deadline for longer-term assets if the Mariners fall out of contention.

Seattle fans should expect an interesting 2013 season and a promising future.

* in some respects, the Mariner offseason resembled the Red Sox offseason in that each team avoided the big-ticket free agents and opted for shorter-term commitments (although Seattle had the shorter commitments with only Hisashi Iwakuma at two years and Felix Hernandez reportedly at seven years getting multiyear contracts)

I was also thinking the same thing Hill...Sox and M's are a lot alike this offseason. inking 1-3 year deals that can be easily moved if need be all while keeping the farm intact. I believe we should see some good prospects from both teams making their way up to MLB within the next 2 years...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I wouldn't say they are "far" from being a playoff team, Ice Cream.  Their line-up could be improved significantly and if a few of these top young pitching prospects are ready to make the jump, I don't think anyone would be surprised to see that club have a season similar to last year's Oakland A's...

Hello jasko2248   :)

I understand and agree with your point.  I meant to say that although the Mariners did make some moves to help their team, I do not see them being a playoff contender for now.  Maybe in a few years they will. 

In 2013, my guess is the Mariners will finish 79-83.