King Felix signs extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: King Felix signs extension

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The Mariners did the right thing by signing their ace to an extension.  But the Mariners are far from becoming a playoff team. 

But at least the Mariners will finish ahead of the Astros.   LOL

The Mariners are hard to figure out ... Seattle probably does not expect to contend in the tough AL West this year, yet the M's added one-year commitments* in Kendrys Morales, Mike Morse, (reportedly) Joe Saunders, Raul Ibanez, Kelly Shoppach, Jason Bay and Robert Andino (while losing only Jason Vargas, John Jaso and Trayvon Robinson).

This offseason the Mariners augmented their roster without surrendering the No. 12 selection in the June 2013 draft (the second-highest protected pick) or touted prospects from their highly-ranked farm system.

I suspect Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik views the one-year commitments as assets that can be flipped at the trade deadline for longer-term assets if the Mariners fall out of contention.

Seattle fans should expect an interesting 2013 season and a promising future.

* in some respects, the Mariner offseason resembled the Red Sox offseason in that each team avoided the big-ticket free agents and opted for shorter-term commitments (although Seattle had the shorter commitments with only Hisashi Iwakuma at two years and Felix Hernandez reportedly at seven years getting multiyear contracts)

Hello hill55   :)

Very good points.  The Mariners are moving in the right direction. 

I'm curious how the Mariners and Royals will do in 2013.  John Smoltz predicted the Royals to win the AL Central this year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:

ben had plenty of prospects and money to make this deal for Felix...he could have totally turned this team around...instead he went the Kmart route and we ended up with Dempster...

enjoy last place fools

Oh Geo.  Enough.  Felix Hernandez was never on the market.  If circumstantial eveidence was not enough to see this before, the hard fact of the deal the Ms just inked him to should get it trhough even the thickest skull.  The Mariners plan is obviously to compete by building a team around the best pitcher on the planet.  Given that they obviously have the means to put that plan in effect, why in the world would they want to give him up for a few good-but-not-earth-shaking prospects.  

Seriously, I can attest to the fact that you have a solid baseball mind when you apply it.  But, you have no idea how stupid your hard-on to smash Cherrington makes you sound.

Us fools may indeed have to enjoy last place.  But King Felix was NEVER coming to Boston, because he was never even being shopped, at all.  Just rumors and innuendos of MLB Trade Rumors and idiots on boards like this.

I never said that he was Space...i said him being of the market should sadden us....we needed an ace..ok we didnt want grienke....but is there anyone on this baseball planet with half a brain that truly believes that the sox acquiring felix even for a boatload of prospects wouldve been detrimental to the team? think of excitement (sexiness i guess as werner would say) but did Ben even TRY to land a top notch pitcher? so they wouldve refused our offer....what wouldve been lost?

this is the weakest free agency in a decade, so what does Ben do? he is the most active GM paying millions for second rate reclamation projects...is this some sort of a joke? Keep the kids if you want but dont spend the magic johnson lottery resigning these retreads....that is simply unbelievably dumb imo....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

The Mariners did the right thing by signing their ace to an extension.  But the Mariners are far from becoming a playoff team. 

But at least the Mariners will finish ahead of the Astros.   LOL

I wouldn't say they are "far" from being a playoff team, Ice Cream.  Their line-up could be improved significantly and if a few of these top young pitching prospects are ready to make the jump, I don't think anyone would be surprised to see that club have a season similar to last year's Oakland A's...

Hello jasko2248   :)

I understand and agree with your point.  I meant to say that although the Mariners did make some moves to help their team, I do not see them being a playoff contender for now.  Maybe in a few years they will. 

In 2013, my guess is the Mariners will finish 79-83.

The same could be written about the Red Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/mariners-hernandez-agree-to-seven-year-deal.html

at least this should kill the "trade for king felix" threads from popping up.

good for the mariners and good for king felix. I bet hill is happy about this. maybe not about the price tag but this is the going rate for Aces..

I'm generally not a fan of long-term contracts, but I am touched by the loyalty of Felix Hernandez to the Seattle Mariners.

The Mariners may well make appearances in the postseason over the next seven years and I hope Hernandez plays a major role.

The loyalty of being the highest paid pitcher ever.

That is unlikely to last for long with Justin Verlander and Clayton Kershaw as extension candidates.

Only 16 days after Felix Hernandez signed a five-year, $78 million extension on January 19, 2010, Justin Verlander signed a five-year, $80 million extension with the Tigers. Verlander has does nothing to hurt his relative value since then.

Still he is currently the highest paid pitcher in baseball, until he isn't. He didn't take a hometown discount. He got paid market value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

ben had plenty of prospects and money to make this deal for Felix...he could have totally turned this team around...instead he went the Kmart route and we ended up with Dempster...

enjoy last place fools

Oh Geo.  Enough.  Felix Hernandez was never on the market.  If circumstantial eveidence was not enough to see this before, the hard fact of the deal the Ms just inked him to should get it trhough even the thickest skull.  The Mariners plan is obviously to compete by building a team around the best pitcher on the planet.  Given that they obviously have the means to put that plan in effect, why in the world would they want to give him up for a few good-but-not-earth-shaking prospects.  

Seriously, I can attest to the fact that you have a solid baseball mind when you apply it.  But, you have no idea how stupid your hard-on to smash Cherrington makes you sound.

Us fools may indeed have to enjoy last place.  But King Felix was NEVER coming to Boston, because he was never even being shopped, at all.  Just rumors and innuendos of MLB Trade Rumors and idiots on boards like this.

I never said that he was Space...i said him being of the market should sadden us....we needed an ace..ok we didnt want grienke....but is there anyone on this baseball planet with half a brain that truly believes that the sox acquiring felix even for a boatload of prospects wouldve been detrimental to the team? think of excitement (sexiness i guess as werner would say) but did Ben even TRY to land a top notch pitcher? so they wouldve refused our offer....what wouldve been lost?

this is the weakest free agency in a decade, so what does Ben do? he is the most active GM paying millions for second rate reclamation projects...is this some sort of a joke? Keep the kids if you want but dont spend the magic johnson lottery resigning these retreads....that is simply unbelievably dumb imo....

You make Ben's arguement for him.  This was indeed a very weak FA market.  So, that leaves the trade market to get difference-makers.  But, the thing is, we don't know jack about the trade market and what is happening there unless a team is blatantly shopping someone.  Case-in-point:  Many speculated (ad nauseum) Felix would be a trade candidate because the Ms wouldn't be able to afford him long-term.  Oh.  Turns out they could.  So, who are these trade candidates?  I don't know them.  You don't know them.  But I am pretty certain Ben Cherrington and Co. have a much better idea than we do.

So, barring trades, Ben took the Tread Water approach.  He signed guys to relatively short deals, these deals imminently moveable if and when a trade worth making arises, and also allowing for the kids who are not ready now to slide in when they are ready.  Of course, it is useless to keep re-iterating this clear and cogent approach to a crappy market.  You just keep talking about it as "spending the magic johnson lottery on retreads" without bothering to note the flexibility provided ....that is simply unbelievably dumb imo....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For fans of baseball economics, here is a piece from FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/felix-hernandezsuperstars-and-frictional-costs/

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Rays got top hitting prospect, outfielder Wil Myers from the Royals for James Shields.

The Mets got top catching prospect, Travis D'Arnaud and pitching prospect, Syndergard from Toronto for Dickey.

I expected the Mariners to trade Felix but I guess I was wrong. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

How has the Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik kept his job?

http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/01/30/front-office-changes/

Figgins, Bradley, Gutierrez, Smoak, Montero, Casper Wells, .....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Mariners reiterate no extension imminent for Felix Club insists reports of long-term deal with ace are not founded

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130208&content_id=41496268&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Mariners reiterate no extension imminent for Felix Club insists reports of long-term deal with ace are not founded

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130208&content_id=41496268&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

hmmmmm

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Mariners reiterate no extension imminent for Felix Club insists reports of long-term deal with ace are not founded.

Felix Hernandez to miss World Baseball Classic:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21670591

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

One hour ago.

Mariners say no Felix deal yet

http://blog.seattlepi.com/baseball/2013/02/08/mariners-say-no-felix-deal-yet/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

hmmmm. false alarm. wonder if the final deal (if it actually happens) will be more or less than what was reported the other day?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Felix is high miles and high stress low efficiency power pitcher who will soon be brekaing down. Mariners had better stop being an every season doormat before they have to ask the Yankees to take on the remaining debt from fat face.

hey softlaw, long time no see. enjoy your vacation?

lots of IP doesn't equate to elbow injuries... some guys pitched 3k+ innings and never needed elbow or shoulder surgury... king felix may very well break down in 1-3 years but its just as likely he goes the rest of his career without having arm issues..

your clearly not a fortune teller either or you would have forsaw the 2nd term and moved to Bolivia...

BTW bill needs your help on another thread. He needs you to explain the birther theory for him because he is unable to form his own ideas and opinions.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Felix is high miles and high stress low efficiency power pitcher who will soon be brekaing down. Mariners had better stop being an every season doormat before they have to ask the Yankees to take on the remaining debt from fat face.

hey softlaw, long time no see. enjoy your vacation?

lots of IP doesn't equate to elbow injuries... some guys pitched 3k+ innings and never needed elbow or shoulder surgury... king felix may very well break down in 1-3 years but its just as likely he goes the rest of his career without having arm issues..

your clearly not a fortune teller either or you would have forsaw the 2nd term and moved to Bolivia...

BTW bill needs your help on another thread. He needs you to explain the birther theory for him because he is unable to form his own ideas and opinions.

Felix doesnt have a violent delivery. Like Jon Lester (who hasnt suffered an arm/elbow injury), Hernandez has been pretty healthy throughout his career.

heres a little something to look at...

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/PitchingMechanics101/Essays/DeathToTheInvertedW.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/06/the-pitching-technique-thats-threatening-baseballs-young-phenoms/240351/

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7712916/tommy-john-surgery-keeps-pitchers-game-address-underlying-biomechanical-flaw-espn-magazine

Now, as a pitcher sometimes the arms will go up higher than usual, but both Felix and Lester have a pretty smooth delivery and for the most part have better mechanics than guys like Strasburg.

Both usually have 200+ innings by the end of the year. They will probably have a slight loss in velocity, which normal for pitchers Lesters age. Felix should see this in another year or 2 as well.

But just because they both throw 200+ innings a year, certainly doesnt automatically mean theyre going to have arm issues...That theory doesnt hold water...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

but its just as likely he goes the rest of his career without having arm issues..

He'll have elbow and shoulders issues alright, and reminds me of that fat Dodgers pitcher who was on top for the young years and is already a name most people won't remember.

This sorry Nation is Bolivia. Just as broke, and more Wards of the State. I anticipated, a long time ago, how sorry this Nation would become. Reminds me of a cross between the U.S. Postal Service, Zimbabwe, Cuba and Bab edh-Dhra.

The Feds are going to default on all the cheese that voters think they are going to be getting. 

Sweet. I finally get to use the ignore button. :-)

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

but its just as likely he goes the rest of his career without having arm issues..

He'll have elbow and shoulders issues alright, and reminds me of that fat Dodgers pitcher who was on top for the young years and is already a name most people won't remember.

This sorry Nation is Bolivia. Just as broke, and more Wards of the State. I anticipated, a long time ago, how sorry this Nation would become. Reminds me of a cross between the U.S. Postal Service, Zimbabwe, Cuba and Bab edh-Dhra.

The Feds are going to default on all the cheese that voters think they are going to be getting. 

yup...I just used it today with that NYY troll hello/babe or whoever that idiot is...I just dont see the need to clog up my computer screen with useless comments...

I've basically kept stiffy on ignore ever since he tried to tell me that Hank was Hank Williams Jr. :-) It turns out that he doesn't know any more about music than he does about baseball or economics.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

yup...I just used it today with that NYY troll hello/babe or whoever that idiot is...I just dont see the need to clog up my computer screen with useless comments...

I've basically kept stiffy on ignore ever since he tried to tell me that Hank was Hank Williams Jr. :-) It turns out that he doesn't know any more about music than he does about baseball or economics.

Or about Law

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dear King Felix,

Forget about the Mariners.  Represent your country in the WBC and pitch until your shoulder and arm hurt.

Sincerely,

Dice-K

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts