Koji, Lack of Respect, Tired of Ship Him Out Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Koji, Lack of Respect, Tired of Ship Him Out Talk

I've never seen a player get less appreciation more it's business talk than Koji. This guy is a gem, a diamond in the rough. Yet, all I hear here (hey, how bout that consecutive wording) is he's too old, don't commit to him past one year, ship him out now while the price is high, get rid of him because the Sox don't need a closer and they are a dime a dozen. I give up. Shame on everyone who wants him gone. The guy is quite possibly the best Sox closer in their history.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Koji, Lack of Respect, Tired of Ship Him Out Talk

Agreed, in fact the Sox should have extended him in Off-Season.  Another one that will cost them more, by not thinking ahead.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If the Sox make a run in 2015, and they don't have Koji to help make it, they won't clinch any titles. Period.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd offer him $16M/2 with bonuses based on appearances worth another $1M per year.

If he refuses, I'd seriously think of getting what we can for him via trade.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

jasko thinks they are a dime a dozen, I don't. And don't make any mistake about Schiraldi and TimBree as the team's RELIABLE closers. They weren't. They were not automatics, and they all showed their shakiness enough that one manager wouldn't go to them, and another had no choice but to go to a rookie who was cracking badly under pressure. Koji has no fear, never had it. Never did I ever think the Sox were going to choke with him on the hill....Never.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Good !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'd offer him $16M/2 with bonuses based on appearances worth another $1M per year.

Sox4ever

moon, I think if the Sox take the same approach as they have done with Lester, they both are gone. I'd like to see them actually offer him a contract like you posted here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Be interesting what the Sox would get with a soon to be 40 year old who will be a Free Agent in a few Months.
    If the Sox did extend him, now were talking different story on a Trade.
    Still would like him on team though. He makes a game an 8 inning game, hard to find those guys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Moon and Danny  very fair assessments and a fair offer.

Talk of any player from the 2013 WS year and no one was more valuable than Ue. 

Absolutely keeps fans in their seats til the 9th--a forgotten consideration for selling advertising.

No question Miller could close but I would like to see him set-up one more year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If I were the Sox and they are sellers, Miller would be a smart move. Talk about buying low and selling High.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I've never seen a player get less appreciation more it's business talk than Koji. This guy is a gem, a diamond in the rough. Yet, all I hear here (hey, how bout that consecutive wording) is he's too old, don't commit to him past one year, ship him out now while the price is high, get rid of him because the Sox don't need a closer and they are a dime a dozen. I give up. Shame on everyone who wants him gone. The guy is quite possibly the best Sox closer in their history.

I agree 90%. The 10% disagreement comes with the "best ever" comment. Obviously you either never saw, or have forgotten Dick Radatz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I agree 90%. The 10% disagreement comes with the "best ever" comment. Obviously you either never saw, or have forgotten Dick Radatz.

Believe me, I know Dick Radatz, although he was just before my time. He was a great closer before there were great closers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i am more than ok spending $9MM per for 2 more years of Koji-san.  he has earned it and has shown no indication of dropoff.  it is very doubtful that the return on trade we would get for him will equate to 8 inning games the next 2 seasons....

other names i have posted under:  none

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

moon, I think if the Sox take the same approach as they have done with Lester, they both are gone. I'd like to see them actually offer him a contract like you posted here.

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's identical to Lester.  You have two choices-extend them or trade them.  Letting them play out, and then getting a #32 pick for only one of them, is a really bad move.  I like both of them a lot, but letting them play out is simply a horrible option.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i am more than ok spending $9MM per for 2 more years of Koji-san.  he has earned it and has shown no indication of dropoff.  it is very doubtful that the return on trade we would get for him will equate to 8 inning games the next 2 seasons....

other names i have posted under:  none

[object HTMLDivElement]

Actually, there is an indication of a drop-off.  He has a 3.86 over his last 13 games, with 5 saves and 2 blown saves.

And more alarmingly, 4 HRs in those 14 IPs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Keep Miller, trade Koji...

As always - 100% correct!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Another reason Sox should have looked down the road on Koji, and signed him last Off-Season. Qualifying Offers will be 14.1+ next Off-Season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There's a difference between "wanting" a player gone and being "willing" to trade him.  If you remove the emotional thinking of the common fan from the game it makes sense to trade high on Koji.  Things like "he's old" and "we should sell high" etc etc are said because they are generally true.  This doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have Koji back, I just think if you weight all variables, that you should at least entertain offers if you're not going anywhere this year because he is one of your most valuable trading chips. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

This thread and Moon's response are silly. You don't extend relievers in the middle of the season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

If they sign Lester, that's great. They'll be competing next year. If they don't for the love of god trade him. Like you said these guys are not a dime a dozen so you'll get something good for him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

ctredsox----I agree you have to take the emotional piece away. He is a valuable chip--you trade Ue and Lester--you have officially conceded the season.

Trade Lester, Ue, to the Dodgers and help them win a WS. The Dodgers will treat Lester right not like we've seen from the RS management. I have forgotten who it was in ??the last 24 hours, that loaded a package to the Dodgers including Miller, Ue and Lester in exchange for Pederson and Seager( the #1 and #2 Dodger prospects).

If I'm the Dodgers that would get my attention--maybe we get a pitcher from the Dodger 25 man roster.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think it's a vocal minority who want to trade him, so let me chime him.

DON'T TRADE HIM AND RE-UP HIM FOR TWO YEARS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

ctredsox----I agree you have to take the emotional piece away. He is a valuable chip--you trade Ue and Lester--you have officially conceded the season.

Trade Lester, Ue, to the Dodgers and help them win a WS. The Dodgers will treat Lester right not like we've seen from the RS management. I have forgotten who it was in ??the last 24 hours, that loaded a package to the Dodgers including Miller, Ue and Lester in exchange for Pederson and Seager( the #1 and #2 Dodger prospects).

If I'm the Dodgers that would get my attention--maybe we get a pitcher from the Dodger 25 man roster.

Why not go after Pederson???

I don't know how realistic that is, but Koji/Lester packaged together gives a team going for it one of the games best post season starters, and a guy who has been the most dominant closer in baseball over the past year.    Any team looking to "go for it" would love that package, and Pederson could solve our RF problems in Fenway for years.

The two guys I'd go after in LA are Pederson and Urias, If I had to send a pitching prospect over to sweeten the deal I would. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Other than the fickle fans of the denizens of Fenway I don't hear any of the usual rumors concerning trading Koji and in fact all that I've heard is that they are looking to re-sign him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

jasko thinks they are a dime a dozen, I don't. And don't make any mistake about Schiraldi and TimBree as the team's RELIABLE closers. They weren't. They were not automatics, and they all showed their shakiness enough that one manager wouldn't go to them, and another had no choice but to go to a rookie who was cracking badly under pressure. Koji has no fear, never had it. Never did I ever think the Sox were going to choke with him on the hill....Never.

Believe me when I say that I love Koji as much as anyone, and I really hope he is back with the Sox next year.   That said, Jasko is right about not signing closers or relief pitchers to big contracts.  I'm too lazy to look them up, but you can state bad contract after bad contract when it comes to relief pitchers.   They are just not worth the risk of the big contract, and the money is better spent elsewhere.  

Sections
Shortcuts