Kudos to Ben: Three pitchers worth getting excited about in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Kudos to Ben: Three pitchers worth getting excited about in 2014

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

De La Rosa hit the 100-mph mark several times yesterday. Our future Pedro Martinez-one season away?

2. Matt Barnes

. A mid-90s fastball and a fearless willingness to challenge hitters,

3. Allen Webster.

Mid-90s sinking heater and a cutting slider.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: Kudos to Ben: Three pitchers worth getting excited about in 2014

In response to eidlog's comment:

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

De La Rosa hit the 100-mph mark several times yesterday. Our future Pedro Martinez-one season away?

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

Like I tell Pop's, "lets hold judgement until they actually accomplish something at the MLL. It's a concept TWM has yet to understand. That said it would be the cherry on top of the salary dump LA allowed Ben to complete.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

These 3 pitchers certainly have the "potential" to be TOTR MLB pitchers. So far so good. Out of the 3, I think RDLR has the best chance.

RDLR looked good yesterday, which is encouraging. They will have him on an innings limit this year (which I think is very smart). I think depending on IP, we could see him start a game or 2 for the Sox this year at some point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

Like I tell Pop's, "lets hold judgement until they actually accomplish something at the MLL. It's a concept TWM has yet to understand. That said it would be the cherry on top of the salary dump LA allowed Ben to complete.

As I have said before, I liked the Dodger trade even if we got no prospects in return. DLR & Webster could be the "cherries on top".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

As I have said before, I liked the Dodger trade even if we got no prospects in return. DLR & Webster could be the "cherries on top".

The trade (dump) looks better all the time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

Umm RDLR HAS accomplished something at the major league level. If memory serves, 4-5, 4 era and 60Ks in 61 innings pitched for the Dodgers in '11, pre TJ. I just read his future may be at closer. Please let this not be true. He's more Pedro than Mariano. Waste as a closer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

Umm RDLR HAS accomplished something at the major league level. If memory serves, 4-5, 4 era and 60Ks in 61 innings pitched for the Dodgers in '11, pre TJ. I just read his future may be at closer. Please let this not be true. He's more Pedro than Mariano. Waste as a closer.

Hes dealt with some control issues in the past which is why some scouts think hes a reliever. He was still young and dealing with arm discomfort at that time which might have had something to do with it.

The Sox plan on stretching him out and putting him on about a 100-120 innings limit this year. If his control issues continue, then yes, he'll probably end up a closer.

Hes got electric "stuff" and if he can harness all that potential the Sox have their "Ace" that everyone is calling for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Can we possibly stop comparing every whiz kid pitcher to Pedro Martinez?...you can live 200 years and maybe never see another pitcher as good....especially the way they baby these starters and slow down their progress by pulling the reigns too hard, ala Strausburg.

Remember how they were comparing Ellsbury to Ted Williams. How is that working out?

I've heard a few referances to Carlton Fisk when speaking of Lavarnway. What a joke. This kid won't even be as good as Rich Gedman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Can we possibly stop comparing every whiz kid pitcher to Pedro Martinez?...you can live 200 years and maybe never see another pitcher as good....especially the way they baby these starters and slow down their progress by pulling the reigns too hard, ala Strausburg.

Remember how they were comparing Ellsbury to Ted Williams. How is that working out?

I've heard a few referances to Carlton Fisk when speaking of Lavarnway. What a joke. This kid won't even be as good as Rich Gedman.

Pedro Martinez:
    “Anything you want to do in baseball, as far as pitching, that kid has a chance.”   “He has an opportunity to be someone special. Not just a regular player, but special. When you see someone like De La Rosa you think someone special, like a[Roger] Clemens, a Juan Marichal. You think about elite players. That’s the type of stuff he has.”

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank N Stein. Show Frank N Stein's posts

Don't you maybe think Pedro is just trying to build this kid's confidence?

Pitchers like Pedro come once in 40-50 years, the last ( before Pedro) being Sandy Koufax.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I think the GM did a good job retooling the bullpen for this year and getting some young pitchers for the future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

The only person I've seen doing that is Bill-806, the same guy that was calling Iglesias the next Rico Petrocelli Saturday.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't know about you guys, but I feel good that Pedro is around. It was the right decision to let him go when we did, but it never felt right to me. 

Welcome back, Pedro!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Webster was just clocked at 99 by the Dunedin gun.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Allen Webster allows a run on two hits, but strikes out Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion.

TOR radio saying that Webster hit 97 on sequence with Bautista.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Mixing in what looks like a mid-80s change. Getting guys rocking back-and-forth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

They may not all pan out, but this seems much better than signing fossils.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Webster fans Bautista, Encarnacion, Arencibia and Lawrie in a row.

Webster struck out Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to end the third inning, and he opened the fourth inning by punching out J.P. Arencibia and Brett Lawrie. All four strikeouts were of the swinging variety.

Hit 99, sat 94-97.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

4. Steven Wright 

I do love a knuckler tho... 

All in all i like the young arms we've collected 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

On this day in 1946 Ted Williams homered on the 1st pitch he saw in spring training after 3 years in the Marines

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Steven Wright had a sharp couple of innings to start the game. In the second, he struck out J.P. Arencibia, Brett Lawrie and Moises Sierra to put up a tidy inning, with a Colby Rasmus single also in there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

On this day in 1946 Ted Williams homered on the 1st pitch he saw in spring training after 3 years in the Marines

Williams then hit .342 /.497 /.667 that season with 123 RBIs and was named MVP. OPS+ was 215. AFTER MISSING 3 YEARS