Kudos to Ben: Three pitchers worth getting excited about in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Re: Kudos to Ben: Three pitchers worth getting excited about in 2014

Webster hit 99 mph on the Florida Auto Exchange Stadium radar gun on one offering after clocking in at 98 mph.

“Equally impressive to the arm strength, and the action of his fastball, is that he has a secondary pitch he can go to as a put-away with his changeup. And when he gets in trouble he has the ability to slow people down with a power change that has some action to it,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said. “He was impressive. Very impressive.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Webster's three-pitch strikeout of Arencibia -- fastball at 95, changeup at 86, fastball at 96.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to eidlog's comment:

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

De La Rosa hit the 100-mph mark several times yesterday. Our future Pedro Martinez-one season away?

2. Matt Barnes

. A mid-90s fastball and a fearless willingness to challenge hitters,

3. Allen Webster.

Mid-90s sinking heater and a cutting slider.

Like I tell Pop's, "lets hold judgement until they actually accomplish something at the MLL. It's a concept TWM has yet to understand. That said it would be the cherry on top of the salary dump LA allowed Ben to complete.

As I have said before, I liked the Dodger trade even if we got no prospects in return. DLR & Webster could be the "cherries on top".

The trade (dump) looks better all the time.

Umm RDLR HAS accomplished something at the major league level. If memory serves, 4-5, 4 era and 60Ks in 61 innings pitched for the Dodgers in '11, pre TJ. I just read his future may be at closer. Please let this not be true. He's more Pedro than Mariano. Waste as a closer.

"more Pedro than Mariano"

Starters are more valuable than closers. Their also better pitchers. Mo failed as a starter and thus was sent to the BP. Good pitcher but limited to one pitch. I would prefer to see this guy start and give the team 200 innings if possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

De La Rosa hit the 100-mph mark several times yesterday. Our future Pedro Martinez-one season away?

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

Like I tell Pop's, "lets hold judgement until they actually accomplish something at the MLL. It's a concept TWM has yet to understand. That said it would be the cherry on top of the salary dump LA allowed Ben to complete.

My sentiments exactly. Bard could also hit 100 mph.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

Bard only had 1 pitch though and didn't have the stamina to start. Webster and RDLR have multiple pitches and can keep the fire going for a prolonged period.. BIG DIFFERENCE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

Bard was pretty much lights out while he was still throwing 100.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

1`Rubby De La Rosa.

2. Matt Barnes

3. Allen Webster.

Bard was pretty much lights out while he was still throwing 100.

I can see him starting the year in AAA. Once the mechanics are set again, hes got a wipe-out slider kinda like Hanrahan only a FB that hits 100MPH. I believe he'll get back to that again. Its not going to get done in one ST game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

Webster-"The type of pitcher he reminds me of -- but with better secondaries and better stuff -- is probably Derek Lowe. Just kind of imagine Derek Lowe with sharper, harder and gnarlier secondaries," said Chuck Crim, Webster's minor league pitching coach for parts of four straight years in the Dodgers system.  "The sink is insane."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Alex Wilson looked pretty solid as well in his inning against Tampa, striking out the side with only one hit. Had another strikeout and no hits in another inning against St. Louis today. 26 years old, so not a young prospect, but he's definitely making a case for a 'pen spot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

Alex Wilson looked pretty solid as well in his inning against Tampa, striking out the side with only one hit. Had another strikeout and no hits in another inning against St. Louis today. 26 years old, so not a young prospect, but he's definitely making a case for a 'pen spot.

well we can rule that out seeing as the Pen is loaded as it is.... but it's nice to know we have even MORE depth waiting in the wings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eidlog. Show eidlog's posts

"It's six months of a 62-year life," Valentine said of his tenure with Boston. "It's six months in a 42-year career in baseball. It's a blip, a little spot on the radar as far as I'm concerned and I thought I did a [good] job in Boston. I thought what had to be done there, had to be done except for winning a pennant. But Connie Mack wouldn't have won with that team."

Kudos for Ben, for not wanting Valentine in the first place.