Kudos to Cody-ites

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Kudos to Cody-ites

Just a word to those who were touting the acquisition of Cody Ross.  We hear/read all sorts of proposals for player acquisitions on this forum.  I noticed, with a passing point of attention, the interest in Ross some time back. 

First of all, where do we develop some of these interests?  It clearly means you're all paying far more attention to the broader game than I am, which isn't saying much.  But it does also mean some of you aren't in the Twilight Zone all the time.

Second, just kudos for actually getting one on the mark. 

I know we are all looking forward to the WS MVP showing up all the time.  I encourage us to give him a channce to be productive and not start reaming him even before he ties on his spikes ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Kudos to Cody-ites

he is not an impact player, he is not a game changer, he doesnt really improve the team much, and he is not much of an addition compared to our rivals..we are so provincial sometimes on this board...yes Cody Ross was a name that was mentioned by a few on this board to get...he makes a lot of sense for salary and rh batting reasons....but he isnt going to make much of a difference...we have a new reliever that probably wont be as good as our old one, we have a new ss that wont be as good as our old one, we have crawford gone for a spell and Ross or whomever takes his place wont be as good as he is (i think) ....

the most we can hope for is Bard/aceves/player tba later will do well starting...but will they be as good as Wake/Lackey/Dice???? Im hoping and praying but pitchers dont grow on trees....

i love the Bobby V move, and im excited to see Iggy play ss, but there is no way we are even a better team than we were last year when we ended up in third place and won 90 games...and the AL best like DET, NY, TEX, CAL, TB look a lot stronger than us...

Looks like BRIDGE YEAR II to me...unless the perfect storm of baseball luck happens with all these new guys...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Kudos to Cody-ites:
    [QUOTE]he is not an impact player, he is not a game changer, he doesnt really improve the team much, and he is not much of an addition compared to our rivals..we are so provincial sometimes on this board...yes Cody Ross was a name that was mentioned by a few on this board to get...he makes a lot of sense for salary and rh batting reasons....but he isnt going to make much of a difference...we have a new reliever that probably wont be as good as our old one, we have a new ss that wont be as good as our old one, we have crawford gone for a spell and Ross or whomever takes his place wont be as good as he is (i think) .... the most we can hope for is Bard/aceves/player tba later will do well starting...but will they be as good as Wake/Lackey/Dice???? Im hoping and praying but pitchers dont grow on trees.... i love the Bobby V move, and im excited to see Iggy play ss, but there is no way we are even a better team than we were last year when we ended up in third place and won 90 games...and the AL best like DET, NY, TEX, CAL, TB look a lot stronger than us... Looks like BRIDGE YEAR II to me...unless the perfect storm of baseball luck happens with all these new guys...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox had no bench last year. This year the bench is much better. The middle bp is better. Lester Beckett and Bucholz are better than Lester Beckett Lackey. The offense will pretty much be the same. The big question is who are the 4 and 5 pitcher Oswalt and ET AL would be much better then Wakefield, Miller and a little Bedard. However not getting Oswalt would be killler.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]he is not an impact player, he is not a game changer, he doesnt really improve the team much, and he is not much of an addition compared to our rivals..we are so provincial sometimes on this board...yes Cody Ross was a name that was mentioned by a few on this board to get...he makes a lot of sense for salary and rh batting reasons....but he isnt going to make much of a difference...we have a new reliever that probably wont be as good as our old one, we have a new ss that wont be as good as our old one, we have crawford gone for a spell and Ross or whomever takes his place wont be as good as he is (i think) .... the most we can hope for is Bard/aceves/player tba later will do well starting...but will they be as good as Wake/Lackey/Dice???? Im hoping and praying but pitchers dont grow on trees.... i love the Bobby V move, and im excited to see Iggy play ss, but there is no way we are even a better team than we were last year when we ended up in third place and won 90 games...and the AL best like DET, NY, TEX, CAL, TB look a lot stronger than us... Looks like BRIDGE YEAR II to me...unless the perfect storm of baseball luck happens with all these new guys...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Oh,I know Cody's not the impact player we'd all like.  That isn't what I was saying. I pretty much agree with your assessment.  

BUT ... if like some here have contended, that Tito as manager was a source of 10 to 12 losses a season, the Bobby V move turns that over to a place where  we have picked up a dozen wins all by itself.  That would alleviate problems a great deal ...
       BUT ... all these new signings don't necessarily mean those teams will suddenly become world winners.  For evidence of that, please take note of a team who last off season made a couple big deals ... failed to measure up to world beater status.

(please check tongue-in-cheek meter as one reads...)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Kudos to Cody-ites:
    [QUOTE]Just a word to those who were touting the acquisition of Cody Ross.  We hear/read all sorts of proposals for player acquisitions on this forum.  I noticed, with a passing point of attention, the interest in Ross some time back.  First of all, where do we develop some of these interests?  It clearly means you're all paying far more attention to the broader game than I am, which isn't saying much.  But it does also mean some of you aren't in the Twilight Zone all the time. Second, just kudos for actually getting one on the mark.  I know we are all looking forward to the WS MVP showing up all the time.  I encourage us to give him a channce to be productive and not start reaming him even before he ties on his spikes ...
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

One on the mark?  C'mon, I pegged Aaron Cook about 15 minutes before it happened!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kudos to Cody-ites : The Red Sox had no bench last year. This year the bench is much better. The middle bp is better. Lester Beckett and Bucholz are better than Lester Beckett Lackey. The offense will pretty much be the same. The big question is who are the 4 and 5 pitcher Oswalt and ET AL would be much better then Wakefield, Miller and a little Bedard. However not getting Oswalt would be killler.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say "no bench".
    2011's bench:
    C: VTek had a higher OPS than about half the starting MLB catchers and more innings caught than all but 2 back-up catchers. Team record in his games: 42-22.
    SS: Lowrie .685 OPS is not bad for SS, especially a back-up.
    Reddick: .784 OPS is much better than Drew and several other MLB RF'ers.
    UIF: Aviles BA .317
    Sutton: .807 OPS
    Not so good: 
    DMac .704 (but good vs LHPs)
    Cameron .477

Our back-up pitchers:
    Wake: 23 GS, 3rd in team IP/GS (team 12-11 in his starts)
    Miller: 12 GS, team went 9-3 in his 12 starts 
    (Not bad to go 21-14 with your 6-7 starters.)
    Some bottom relievers:
    Morales 3.62/1.268
    Atchison 3.26/1.220
    Bowden  4.05/1.500
    R Hill        0.00/0.750

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Kudos to Cody-ites : One on the mark?  C'mon, I pegged Aaron Cook about 15 minutes before it happened!
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Sorry Notin.  I should have recognized you, too.

:o)

I guess I wasn't reading thoroughly .... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I've actually mentioned Ross a few times over the years.  He's another of the Chad Gaudin All Stars...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ross was found in a dumpster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Undoutedly buried under a pile of your seemingly equal trade proposals that "make sense" for both sides.

I guess that would be true if both sides were the Red Sox...