Kudos to Curt Schilling for showing class and sticking it to a Philly big mouth.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Kudos to Curt Schilling for showing class and sticking it to a Philly big mouth.

I know in some of my previous posts I have been critical of Curt. Never as a pitcher or a great compettitor. Just at times he can be a big mouth and so self promoting. But he showed a lot of class when his friend Randy Johnson tweeted him and told him don't be offended by not being voted in the HOF on your first time. He said you're a Hall of Famer and your time will come. Schill tweeted Randy back and told him I'm not a first ballot Hall of Famer like you (Johnson) but he will love the chance some day. Then this big mouth former long time talk show host in Philadelphia named Howard Eskin tweeted Curt back and told him that he was a very good pitcher but not a hall of Famer. Curt tweeted back and called him a dumb a_ _. LOL. Curt also told him just because he insulted him years ago is no reason to post something so mean spirited. This guy Eskin is one of the biggest haters in talk sports. He is a kiss butt of Andy Reid, Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Charles Barkley and others, but if you didn't side with him he didn't like you. Way to go Curt. I'm with you all the way on this one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Kudos to Curt Schilling for showing class and sticking it to a Philly big mouth.

Schilling will eventually get into the HOF. 

Schilling helped Boston win a World Series in 2004.  We no longer had to hear the "1918!!!" chants anymore. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: Kudos to Curt Schilling for showing class and sticking it to a Philly big mouth.

At least we know that he will go into the HOF feet first because his sock is already there!  I like his chances and he should be in there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Curt probably will get into the Hall of Fame eventually, and that Philly talk show host may be an a--, but I don't see where the "showing class" part comes in, unless you have a strange idea of what showing class is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

Curt probably will get into the Hall of Fame eventually, and that Philly talk show host may be an a--, but I don't see where the "showing class" part comes in, unless you have a strange idea of what showing class is.

Ditto

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

He showed class towards Randy Johnson. Curt basically said he's not an elite HOF like Johnson but would be grateful for the opportunity to be in Coopesrtown. And wasn't that one of the greatest moments in baseball history when Johnson (On no days rest) relieved Curt in game 7 of the 2001 WS to protect the game and help the Diamondbacks beat the evil empire?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

He showed class towards Randy Johnson. Curt basically said he's not an elite HOF like Johnson but would be grateful for the opportunity to be in Coopesrtown. And wasn't that one of the greatest moments in baseball history when Johnson (On no days rest) relieved Curt in game 7 of the 2001 WS to protect the game and help the Diamondbacks beat the evil empire?

How magnanimous of him.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

This guy Eskin is one of the biggest haters in talk sports.

[/QUOTE]

I preferred Missanelli back in the day, Eskin made a lot of money with his act though.

CS is right, he is not a 1st ballot HOFer, but he will get in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Schilling was the leader of the 2004 and 2007 title teams. Good citizen who is not part of the current slim national majority of entitlment demanding idiots. Red Sox fans did not deserve a leader like Curt Schilling. They deserve a career loser like Ellsbury.

Like I said Softy, I loved the guy as a pitcher on that field. "Why not us?" He was right. I do hope we keep Ells if we can.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im not an off field fan of "i hate welfare/govt for everyone but me" schilling but that guy deserved that...what a putz..im with Curt on this

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

schilling gets in the HOF the same way I do, with a ticket

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Helloitsmeagain's comment:

Not necessarily, but he has an uphill battle

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Helloitsmeagain's comment:

that made me laugh  g1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Soft and Howard Eskin, two peas in a pod.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You don't get to be a successful talk show host unless you are a big mouth.

It comes with the territory , only some of them abuse the privledge...Rush Limberger and Glenn Beck being the most obnoxius....but this does not excuse Howard Stern , Imus and other guys from the past, who were "funny" loadmouths....they are all loadmouths.

Just the title "TALK show host" , indicates that you make a living by never shutting up...especially when it would serve for the greater good of humanity to stop and think before spewing loud garbage out over the airwaves.

This Eskin guy is unfamiliar to me, but just knowing he is a "talk show host", tells me he is an example of someone who craves attention by talking for a living, and not actually saying much.

The best thing for everyone is for us all to just ignore them....which I have just failed to do by posting this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Jack Morris got twice the the votes as Schilling.  Nobody can make a rational argument that Morris was a better pitcher than Schilling.  These guys might be baseball writers, but there is a lot of ignorance in the voting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Jack Morris got twice the the votes as Schilling.  Nobody can make a rational argument that Morris was a better pitcher than Schilling.  These guys might be baseball writers, but there is a lot of ignorance in the voting.

This was Morris's 14 try, Schilling's 1st. Add to that Schilling's personality. It's the HOF process, like it or not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

You don't get to be a successful talk show host unless you are a big mouth.

It comes with the territory , only some of them abuse the privledge...Rush Limberger and Glenn Beck being the most obnoxius....but this does not excuse Howard Stern , Imus and other guys from the past, who were "funny" loadmouths....they are all loadmouths.

Just the title "TALK show host" , indicates that you make a living by never shutting up...especially when it would serve for the greater good of humanity to stop and think before spewing loud garbage out over the airwaves.

This Eskin guy is unfamiliar to me, but just knowing he is a "talk show host", tells me he is an example of someone who craves attention by talking for a living, and not actually saying much.

The best thing for everyone is for us all to just ignore them....which I have just failed to do by posting this.

Zilla other then Dennis and Callahan I never found the WEEI hosts to be bias one way or another. Ordway was a Celtic color comm. and broadcaster so I guess he may be a little bias towards the NBA over the NHL, but other then that I don't mind them. This guy Eskin hates things that are popular like Notre Dame football. He likes Miami. When Jimmy Johnson went to the Cowboys he became a Cowboys fan.  When Johnson left the Cowboys Eskin got to be friendly with Andy Reid and started rooting for the Eagles. All for ratings I guess. He was for a Marlins-Yankees WS in 03 because of so many Cubs and Red Sox fans in the Philly area believe it or not. In 05 before a Red Sox-Phillies game Schilling on WEEI called Eskin and another Philly talk bafoon Angelo Cataldi bad human beings. Cataldi is from RI and grew up a Yankee fan. He's the guy who said when Francona was hired that if he ever won a WS he'd blow his own head off. No he didn't do it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

This was Morris's 14 try, Schilling's 1st. Add to that Schilling's personality. It's the HOF process, like it or not.

Maybe, but it's usually a case of the older guys looking better in retrospect, and nobody ridiculously obviously better joining the ballot for the first time.  Eckersley leaped over Sutter, Gossage & Blyleven, and the talent there was pretty comparable.  The SF Giants won the world series - what would Jack Morris in his prime be on that team.  Their #4 starter? 

Another thing annoying me is that Mike Piazza seems to be getting a pass on the whole steroid issue - this guy should get zero votes.  He would not have even been a major-leaguer if he hadn't been a juicer. 

Edgar Martinez is another one - the guy adds .160 points to his slugging at age 32, and everybody gives him a pass on the juice issue?  PLEASE!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

I know in some of my previous posts I have been critical of Curt. Never as a pitcher or a great compettitor. Just at times he can be a big mouth and so self promoting. But he showed a lot of class when his friend Randy Johnson tweeted him and told him don't be offended by not being voted in the HOF on your first time. He said you're a Hall of Famer and your time will come. Schill tweeted Randy back and told him I'm not a first ballot Hall of Famer like you (Johnson) but he will love the chance some day. Then this big mouth former long time talk show host in Philadelphia named Howard Eskin tweeted Curt back and told him that he was a very good pitcher but not a hall of Famer. Curt tweeted back and called him a dumb a_ _. LOL. Curt also told him just because he insulted him years ago is no reason to post something so mean spirited. This guy Eskin is one of the biggest haters in talk sports. He is a kiss butt of Andy Reid, Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Charles Barkley and others, but if you didn't side with him he didn't like you. Way to go Curt. I'm with you all the way on this one.

216 wins does not a Hall Of Famer make- sorry. As far as post season heroics, then vote in Dusty Rhodes, Gene Tenace, Mickey Lolich, Bobby Richardson, Chuck Essegian, Joe Black, Lew Burdette, and a billion more marginal players who had good post seasons.

Wins aren't everything - or even much of anything.  

Schilling's 15th all time in Strikeouts, and his ERA+ is identical to Tom Seaver & Bob Gibson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Maybe, but it's usually a case of the older guys looking better in retrospect, and nobody ridiculously obviously better joining the ballot for the first time.  Eckersley leaped over Sutter, Gossage & Blyleven, and the talent there was pretty comparable.  The SF Giants won the world series - what would Jack Morris in his prime be on that team.  Their #4 starter? 

Another thing annoying me is that Mike Piazza seems to be getting a pass on the whole steroid issue - this guy should get zero votes.  He would not have even been a major-leaguer if he hadn't been a juicer. 

Edgar Martinez is another one - the guy adds .160 points to his slugging at age 32, and everybody gives him a pass on the juice issue?  PLEASE!  

Calling Jack Morris a #4 starter for any team  is foolish. Many experts feel he's been gipped for not getting in. I agree with them. He was a stud, an ace, and is the poster child for why W-L record matters. And who can forget Game 7 of the 1991 WS, when he was past his prime? That was typical Morris.

While Piazza is suspicious, it is possible he's innocent, although that's doubtful. IMO, most of them took something at one time or another anyway, many perhaps on just a trial basis. In some cases, it was probably like a crook; they may stop at some point becuase they may be scared they'll get caught.

As a result nobody's beyond reproach, especially with all the BS we've been subjected to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

216 wins does not a Hall Of Famer make- sorry. As far as post season heroics, then vote in Dusty Rhodes, Gene Tenace, Mickey Lolich, Bobby Richardson, Chuck Essegian, Joe Black, Lew Burdette, and a billion more marginal players who had good post seasons.

Wins aren't everything - or even much of anything.  

Schilling's 15th all time in Strikeouts, and his ERA+ is identical to Tom Seaver & Bob Gibson.

ERA+ is misleading, since roughly speaking,  if the league average is 2.0, you would need a 1.0 ERA to have  an ERA+ similar to a player who had a 4.0 ERA when the league average is 5.0 (It was actually 5.1 one yr in the late 90s). To me, ERC# is a better measure.

To a lesser degree Ks are also misleading, since there are many more now than years ago. I'm sure there's a few with more Ks who aren't in the HOF.

Saying Wins don't mean much is also a misnomer; you hear that, Cy Young? No one with less than 300 Wins is not in the HOF.

Having said that, and considering his PS exploits (which do count for something), I do believe he shall eventually get in.

Sections
Shortcuts