Kudos to John Farrell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Kudos to John Farrell

Instaead of waiting for mop-up opportunities to use his "new" bullpen, he trotted them out in a high tension, Sunday night, nationally televised, wild and wooly game against the Yankees. This experience will pay off as the season moves along!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Re: Kudos to John Farrell

Did he have much of a choice?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

He used Breslow, Tazawa, and Uehara (a 4-2 win) in Friday's game. He used Thornton, Beato, and Britton (a 5-2 loss...both Beato and Britton pitching without the lead...essentially a mop-up role) in Saturday's game. Then in the Sunday game, Farrell used Breslow, Tazawa, Thornton, and Uehara before turning to Britton and Beato. He had no one else to go to.

Its more like...Kudos to the young relievers for not blowing it on national TV.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

No, he had no choice--is really the answer to a good question.

He has patience---after Nap had a 3 K and a DP in addition to the dinger--I was thinking the Golden Sombrerro for Nap tonight--but he stuck with him. His patience was rewarded.

Oh well that's why he's getting the big bucks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Farrell had no other choice. He had to go to Britton and Beato.

Oh, Hows that Napoli thread working out for ya now?

Hes a very streaky hitter who K's a lot. The Sox knew this. The difference between June/July and April/May? He was hitting the ball at the start of the year, all while still striking out. You  just dont notice the K's all that much when hes hitting HR and driving in runs. If he goes on a tear for Aug/Sept the Sox will be in great shape. They arent trading him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Farrell had no other choice. He had to go to Britton and Beato.

Oh, Hows that Napoli thread working out for ya now?

Hes a very streaky hitter who K's a lot. The Sox knew this. The difference between June/July and April/May? He was hitting the ball at the start of the year, all while still striking out. You  just dont notice the K's all that much when hes hitting HR and driving in runs. If he goes on a tear for Aug/Sept the Sox will be in great shape. They arent trading him.

I was happy (for him, especially) to see him hit the home runs; I still would try and get something for him. He's not streaky; just unreliable, and sometimes bordering on the pathetic. I still think it's his hip (or, hips!).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I was happy (for him, especially) to see him hit the home runs; I still would try and get something for him. He's not streaky; just unreliable, and sometimes bordering on the pathetic. I still think it's his hip (or, hips!).

You can't crush the baseball like he did last night if your hips are a significant issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Back to the original OP...

Drake Britton is someone that I thnk Farrell could rely on in a tough situation late in the game. From everything Ive seen live, video, and interviews throught the last few years, the kid has the makeup to thrive in that environment. Found in the 23rd round of the 2007 Draft. Has had his ups and downs, but appears better suited for short innings out of the pen for the remainder of the year to help the Sox. I dont think they give up on him as a starter, just a bigger need in the pen right now.

9. This post has been removed.