Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter

It's only one game, and Kuroda, a ground ball pitcher, was not helped in the first inning by Girardi's brilliant managerial move to put the reincarnation of Steve Sax at short for the pitcher's opener while he DH'ed Jeter.  I doubt that Nunez will be the starting shortstop the next time Kuroda or Petite is on the mound....Nonetheless, the light-hitting Rays hit a number of shots off of Kuroda, and it makes you suspect that in the AL East, as many have suggested, his ERA is going to balloon significantly....5.2 innings with 6 runs (4 earned), 8 hits and, most troubling, 4 BB's...If Kuroda is nothing more than a Freddy Garcia-like 5th starter, then the Yankee starting pitching is not what it might have been cracked up to be, especially with Pineda still a real question mark...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42nyc. Show 42nyc's posts

Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter

kind of an awkward post considering your guy today don't you think?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter:
    kind of an awkward post considering your guy today don't you think? http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2012/04/07/fielder_cabrera_hit_2_hrs_each_in_rout_of_boston/
    Posted by 42nyc

Not awkward in any way, nyc..I am a diehard Yankee fan....I am just wondering aloud how well Kuroda will do as he transitions to the AL...This is only one outing like I said, but he needs to pitch a lot better his next time out if he is going to remain in the #2 slot...And if he doesn't perform better for some time to come, then our pitching is not as deep as we would like to believe...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think you guys are going to be disappointed in Kuroda. He's too old, and I'm not sure he will handle the East well. If Pineda doesn't get back, the Yankees could have bigger SP trouble than the Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I think you guys are going to be disappointed in Kuroda. He's too old, and I'm not sure he will handle the East well. If Pineda doesn't get back, the Yankees could have bigger SP trouble than the Sox.
    Posted by TheExaminer

After both Sox losses, the yanks made me feel better...who knew?!Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : After both Sox losses, the yanks made me feel better...who knew?!
    Posted by J-BAY

And vice versa, j-bay...Yankee-Red Sox fans are a sick bunch...The world could be going down the drain, but as long as our hated opponent loses, you can manage to whistle a peppy tune...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Got to love Girardi.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Got to love Girardi.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Tell me about it, Jess...He is a very good manager but what the heck was he thinking here??? : "Hmmm...Let's see how our new Japanese pitcher handles a little defensive adversity...That will tell us a lot..Maybe a shift with just 3 infielders!...Nah, I'll be a bit less risky and just put Nunez at short!!!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

One start does not a season make...Kuroda is a veteran who will, if healthy take the ball every 5 days and keep the Yanks in most if not all of his starts.  So if you expect him to be a top of the rotation guy, who'll go out and dominate every 5 days, you'll be disapointed. My guess is that he'll pitch to around a 4.00 era and give the Yanks on average 6 innings and if he pitches to around 4.00 ERA that translates to 2.66 runs allowed per start. Which by definition is a quality start. He'll then hand the ball over to Roberson, Soriano and Mo to finish what he started. Which is the formula tha Yanks have used for the last 3 seasons when someone not named Sabathia is starting...As poor as he pitched yesterday the Yanks still brought the tying run to the plate in the 9th and exposed the one true weakness of the Rays and that's the back end of thier pen...

End of the day the biggest adjustment Kuroda has to make, is to learn how to navigate an AL lineup with the DH. His longterm success is tied to that it's a lesson every starting pitcher from the NL has to learn.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Posted by TheExaminer

I don't know if the Yankees could have bigger problems than us with their starting pitching. It looks like their starters are struggling as bad as the Sox starters. Hopefully Beckett's thumb is not going to be a problem this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

One start does not a season make...Kuroda is a veteran who will, if healthy take the ball every 5 days and keep the Yanks in most if not all of his starts.  So if you expect him to be a top of the rotation guy, who'll go out and dominate every 5 days, you'll be disapointed. My guess is that he'll pitch to around a 4.00 era and give the Yanks on average 6 innings and if he pitches to around 4.00 ERA that translates to 2.66 runs allowed per start. Which by definition is a quality start. He'll then hand the ball over to Roberson, Soriano and Mo to finish what he started. Which is the formula tha Yanks have used for the last 3 seasons when someone not named Sabathia is starting...As poor as he pitched yesterday the Yanks still brought the tying run to the plate in the 9th and exposed the one true weakness of the Rays and that's the back end of thier pen... End of the day the biggest adjustment Kuroda has to make, is to learn how to navigate an AL lineup with the DH. His longterm success is tied to that it's a lesson every starting pitcher from the NL has to learn.
    Posted by Beantowne

Well said.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : After both Sox losses, the yanks made me feel better...who knew?!
    Posted by J-BAY
    Welcome to the AL Beast Mr. Kuroda. What he got away with in the NL does not play well here. Sox pitching gave up 13 runs in 17 innings while the Yanks coughed up 15 runs in 17 innings. Nothing to write home about except the Sox got a great start out of Lester something the Yanks are still searching for. I thought all along Nova would be the #2 starter for NY. That's little joe's for ya.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : Nova's got the Rodney Dangerfield (no respect) spot on the Yanks roster. Rule 5 him, send him down when he's winning...made worse now fellow no respect guy Noesi got traded. Kuroda is a back ender. And a losing career pitcher. Yanks dropped 11m on him to prevent the Sox for picking him up for $6m.
    Posted by hoohaa
    Spot on and funny as h_ell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : Welcome to the AL Beast Mr. Kuroda. What he got away with in the NL does not play well here. Sox pitching gave up 13 runs in 17 innings while the Yanks coughed up 15 runs in 17 innings. Nothing to write home about except the Sox got a great start out of Lester something the Yanks are still searching for. I thought all along Nova would be the #2 starter for NY. That's little joe's for ya.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer
    hey 2H..Happy Easter bud..in a game you still lost?...you of all people claiming moral victory,,say it ain't so..Tongue out..j/k though, rough pair of games for both sides....i agree Lester pitched well, fill me in on Beckett, couldn't follow the Sox game due to runnning around...early blip or cause for concern?... horrid pitching in Tampa..no other way to put it, sporadic offense...at this point let's just play well and dodge the sweep 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : Spot on and funny as h_ell.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer

Actually not "spot on".

They signed him for $10M.

You continually show how little you know. Keep up the good work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : Welcome to the AL Beast Mr. Kuroda. What he got away with in the NL does not play well here. Sox pitching gave up 13 runs in 17 innings while the Yanks coughed up 15 runs in 17 innings. Nothing to write home about except the Sox got a great start out of Lester something the Yanks are still searching for. I thought all along Nova would be the #2 starter for NY. That's little joe's for ya.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer

More concerning is that we have scored 2 runs in 18 innings. Our offense needs to show up today.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I keep asking myself; Why do I read this stuff? It says more about me than the drivel that is posted. Time for me to read a good book.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : My bad. Thought it was 11m and might be with bonuses. Doesn't change Kuroda's a losing career pitcher who detonated in the playoffs against the Phils cupla season's ago. And not a #2...and not worth 10 or 11 million dollars.
    Posted by hoohaa

W/L record has more to do with playing for the dodgers than his pitching.

I guess matt cain is not very good in your eyes either since he has a below .500 lifetime record as well.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : Right...so when the Dods finished in first place in 2008 and he still had a losing record it was the team's fault?
    Posted by hoohaa

And when he had an ERA of 3.07 last year and had a losing record it was his fault?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : hey 2H..Happy Easter bud..in a game you still lost?...you of all people claiming moral victory,,say it ain't so.. ..j/k though, rough pair of games for both sides....i agree Lester pitched well, fill me in on Beckett, couldn't follow the Sox game due to runnning around...early blip or cause for concern?... horrid pitching in Tampa..no other way to put it, sporadic offense...at this point let's just play well and dodge the sweep 
    Posted by jete02fan
    Happy Easter jete. Sorry to say at this point it is so. Yes Lester pitched well. Now that I have recovered from last April's rollover I am back playing some ball. Had a late afternoon practice yesterday so I too missed the game. From what I've read this am he was torched. Sox need Josh to pich like he did last year up until Sept. Enjoy your day and lets hope at least one of our teams avoid a sweep.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : Happy Easter jete. Sorry to say at this point it is so. Yes Lester pitched well. Now that I have recovered from last April's rollover I am back playing some ball. Had a late afternoon practice yesterday so I too missed the game. From what I've read this am he was torched. Sox need Josh to pich like he did last year up until Sept. Enjoy your day and lets hope at least one of our teams avoid a sweep.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer

Convenient that you had an "afternoon practice" as the sawx were getting blown out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Re: Kuroda Looking Like a 5th Starter : My bad. Thought it was 11m and might be with bonuses. Doesn't change Kuroda's a losing career pitcher who detonated in the playoffs against the Phils cupla season's ago. And not a #2...and not worth 10 or 11 million dollars.
    Posted by hoohaa
    10,11,12 who really cares. Sox felt he was worth 6. Others not so much. I still like Nova as the #2. His stuff can be electric. Kuroda has to paint and that has never played well in the ALE.

Sections
Shortcuts