kuroda or oswalt...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

kuroda or oswalt...

we will sign one of these guy's...now that we don't have to spend on a closer....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Re: kuroda or oswalt...

been really been hoping for oswalt since he said he'd take a 1 year deal to prove he is healthy...he still wont come cheap on a 1 year deal, but at least its a minimal commitment...doubt they do it due to the luxury tax threshold but its nice to entertain the possibility. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Hope you are right, and I'd prefer it to be Oswalt, though I do not think he will sign with an ALE team to do a one-year to build up his value.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In Response to Re: kuroda or oswalt...:
    [QUOTE]been really been hoping for oswalt since he said he'd take a 1 year deal to prove he is healthy...he still wont come cheap on a 1 year deal, but at least its a minimal commitment...doubt they do it due to the luxury tax threshold but its nice to entertain the possibility. 
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]

oswalt and harden would be pretty nice....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

you could be right par but that cuts both ways...he could see it as a chance to still be pitching for a contender which will also give him plenty of run support..at least here, with the 3 guys we have at the top of the rotation, that takes a bit of pressure off to come in and be a top of the rotation he guy...in most cases he'd be matching up against other teams 4th best option on any given day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]you could be right par but that cuts both ways...he could see it as a chance to still be pitching for a contender which will also give him plenty of run support..at least here, with the 3 guys we have at the top of the rotation, that takes a bit of pressure off to come in and be a top of the rotation he guy...in most cases he'd be matching up against other teams 4th best option on any given day.
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]

Good point.  Let's hope he sees it that way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "kuroda or oswalt...": [QUOTE]we will sign one of these guy's...now that we don't have to spend on a closer.... Posted by raider3524[/QUOTE] While I'm sure they will bring in some bodies for rotation depth, I don't think they'll bring in an Oswalt, Kuroda or Garza type at this point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

With today's trade, the Red Sox are now at least $4 million closer to the luxury tax threshold, so I'm not sure how much the Sox want to spend on a free agent starter in light of the escalating luxury tax under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to kuroda or oswalt...:
    [QUOTE]we will sign one of these guy's...now that we don't have to spend on a closer....
    Posted by raider3524[/QUOTE]

I still feel Garza is the guy we need regardless of losing a few good prospects.  Oswalt and Kuroda are both unproven in the AL and past their prime.  Garza is battle tested and would be a much more solid addition to our staff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: kuroda or oswalt...": [QUOTE]With today's trade, the Red Sox are now at least $4 million closer to the luxury tax threshold, so I'm not sure how much the Sox want to spend on a free agent starter in light of the escalating luxury tax under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Posted by hill55[/QUOTE] Exactly Hill...but its clearly not registering with many on this board...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Better choice would be Trade with Chicago for Garza! However with the two choices here I would be OK with either guy,Kuroda would flourish with BV at the helm,and Oswalt can be a top end of the rotation type if healthy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Better choice would be Trade with Chicago for Garza! However with the two choices here I would be OK with either guy,Kuroda would flourish with BV at the helm,and Oswalt can be a top end of the rotation type if healthy.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Ben, may have already made stronger moves than Theo did for the pen last season, accept signing Aceves.  With Melancom and Bailey we finally have two good young arms, without giving too much in return.  Jenks was exactly what "Ozzie" labled him as and Wheeler did very little last season, even Albers tailed off after a good start. 

Luxury tax is important but we can't afford to have another episode like last season in the starting rotation.  With Lackey and Wake gone, Dice, Miller, Aceves and Bard all question marks along with the health of Beckett and Clay, we need one more solid starter.  It will also benefit our pen if Aceves or Bard didn't need to start. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would pass on both oswalt and kuroda and deal for garza. neither of those two past their prime pitchers make sense for the sox. if i had to pick one i would take oswalt. he is 3 years younger than kuroda, is ok with 1 year deal, and he would be pitchign with something to prove. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

It is more important to "re-set" the luxary tax. 

While I'd love to see either of them in a Sox uni, their cost shouldn't be measured strictly by their individual salary. If the team goes over the luxary tax AGAIN, the team will have to pay an even higher % tax penalty this season AND will have to cut costs next year to avoid an even HIGHER % next season.  Staying under the luxary tax threshold this season will reduce the penalty where it won't sting as bad.

we are SOO close to staying under the cap this season that i think it makes the most sense to find a discount "warm body" or two- much like Aceves was last year. 

I'd rather take a flier on a few cheap "low risk-high reward" types to keep us under the tax penalty. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]It is more important to "re-set" the luxary tax.  While I'd love to see either of them in a Sox uni, their cost shouldn't be measured strictly by their individual salary. If the team goes over the luxary tax AGAIN, the team will have to pay an even higher % tax penalty this season AND will have to cut costs next year to avoid an even HIGHER % next season.  Staying under the luxary tax threshold this season will reduce the penalty where it won't sting as bad. we are SOO close to staying under the cap this season that i think it makes the most sense to find a discount "warm body" or two- much like Aceves was last year.  I'd rather take a flier on a few cheap "low risk-high reward" types to keep us under the tax penalty. 
    Posted by Kinchow[/QUOTE]

Well said. I've been saying similar things since Sptember, but not many people want to believe going light is the the logical choice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I think that either pitcher would bolster a pitching staff with many questions but, I am in agreement with many posters that BC has to be concern with the salery cap.  In prior years TE spent money without issue and it has come back to haunt the team.  BC has to figure out a salary dump somewhere, just not sure where.  If the RS can figure out how to stay under the cap and pick up 1 of these 2, I would say go with the guy with more to prove. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Cheerleading Fa contracts for John Lackey will make you want to "go light". Tim Wastefield and 1 to 2M is not going light, it is a 1M toilet seat that can be bought at Walmart for $5.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Neither, both will command big money for one year[money the Sox claim they do not have] and neither will be overly effective in Boston. If I had to say which one I would prefer I would take Oswalt as he a proven pitcher, but also a pitcher with health issues and age against him. Oswalt has thrown alot of innings in his career, so you would have to ask why the Phillies  would not resign him for a year or two? The answer is that at this stage of his career he is high risk with a high price tag, not a good combination.
    The Sox need to sit back and go into spring training with what  they now have and see what happens in the spring. If the need arises for the 5th starter then their be plenty of time and available pitcher's to choose from. Let's just wait til spring training to access any further pitching needs.
    Possible 5th starters within the roster are Aceves, Doubront, Miller, Duckworth, or Bowden, and let's remember Dice-K will be available in July.