1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?

In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]Directing the dream of Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers By Steve Dilbeck/LA Times Adrian Gonzalez , Dodger. …So could this actually work? Not easily, certainly. …To get Gonzalez from the Red Sox, a team is likely going to have to take on some serious salary. And the Red Sox have a couple of bad contracts they would love to unload: outfielder Carl Crawford ($107 million remaining) and Josh Beckett ($34 million). The Dodgers are currently the only shop open. Their new owners showed a willingness to spend by adding over $40 million at the non-waiver trading deadline and in putting a claim on Cliff Lee and the $95 million he's still owed. The Red Sox would want major prospects in return, so the Dodgers could not stick to their previous policy of hanging on to their top-tier young talent. So they would have to be willing to give up pitchers Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster, outfielder Jerry Sands and more. So it would be Loney, De La Rosa, Webster and Sands to the Red Sox, and Gonzalez, Crawford, Beckett to the Dodgers. Maybe some other minor players are involved, maybe the Red Sox do eat some contract. It would be a wildly outrageous blockbuster of a deal. So many players, so many moving parts. Almost impossible, which is not to say impossible. … That is definitely outrageous. But the Dodgers' new owners have made it clear they see an opportunity to win this season and are willing to spend more to seize the moment. They're throwing money around, and it's better spent on Gonzalez than Lee. …Gonzalez is a prize and almost a perfect fit. It’s dreamy, I know, but right now Dodgers ownership is dreaming big.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Not sure that trading Gonzalez is a great idea, but if the Dodgers are willing to take Beckett that could help the Red Sox in the future.  Why the Dodgers would be willing to also take Crawford is very surprising, considering that he just had surgery.  Beckett would probably be a much better pitcher in the National League. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?

Agon is not going anywhere period.  Sox are playing one of the worst ball games this season and we are on the verge of missing the playoff even with extra WC and finish the season either 4th or 5th in the division. 

So.. how is sending Agon away help this team in 2013?  James Loney won't come even close filling Agon place.  I know Agon has been power shortage since he came to Boston but he's the offensive core for this team along with Papi.  Removing bad contracts is not the answer for 2013. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Bill were you on WEEI this morning? Dale Arnold was telling some older man today "Bill lets try to stay within reality"... please tell me is was you.

Laughing

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

The reason possibly trading A-Gon is a good idea is because the red sox are standing firm on not going over the luxury tax threshold and taking away A-Gons 21 Million per year would help them to allocate to other more troubling positions...eh hem, starting pitching. A-Gon is a good hitter, and if he were a
    3B, SS, 2B, C, then you dont deal him....but he plays a saturated position and I know he is a "Gold Glove" 1B, but lets be honest, 1B is a position where you can almost stick anyone and give a little practice and be decent.

If a solid deal is out there for him then they should do it.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]Agon is not going anywhere period.  Sox are playing one of the worst ball games this season and we are on the verge of missing the playoff even with extra WC and finish the season either 4th or 5th in the division.  So.. how is sending Agon away help this team in 2013?  James Loney won't come even close filling Agon place.  I know Agon has been power shortage since he came to Boston but he's the offensive core for this team along with Papi.  Removing bad contracts is not the answer for 2013. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Because it sheds brutal contracts...allows you to make a mega offer for Hamilton and extend Jacoby in the process.  They could also make an offer on Napoli who absolutely destroys fenway.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : Because it sheds brutal contracts...allows you to make a mega offer for Hamilton and extend Jacoby in the process.  They could also make an offer on Napoli who absolutely destroys fenway.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

So we replace mega contracts with more mega contracts? Jacoby has had one great year to date and Hamilton is risky, I would be keeping AGon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : Because it sheds brutal contracts...allows you to make a mega offer for Hamilton and extend Jacoby in the process.  They could also make an offer on Napoli who absolutely destroys fenway.

They would be digging a DEEPER hole by signing Hamilton and Ellsbury, and Napoli....trade A-Gon for young players, and makes room for SMARTER free agent signings

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : So we repalce maga contracts with more mega contracts? Jacoby has had one great year to date and Hamilton is risky, I would be keepign AGon.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

I didnt mention all the top end prospects(pitching) that is rumored in this deal.  AGon/Beckett/Crawford for Hamilton/Jacoby/Napoli and a bunch of top end prospects....sign me up everyday and twice on sundays.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : I didnt mention all the top end prospects(pitching) that is rumored in this deal.  AGon/Beckett/Crawford for Hamilton/Jacoby/Napoli and a bunch of top end prospects....sign me up everyday and twice on sundays.

What do Hamilton and Napoli have to do with top end prospects? Their roster is infested with aging over paid players...you really want to see then sign Ellsbury for 8 years 200 million when he has 1 full season under his belt and he will be 29? And you want them to sign a HUGE long term deal for Hamilton when he cant stay healthy and is going to be 32? Seems like the same problems they already have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : What do Hamilton and Napoli have to do with top end prospects? Their roster is infested with aging over paid players...you really want to see then sign Ellsbury for 8 years 200 million when he has 1 full season under his belt and he will be 29? And you want them to sign a HUGE long term deal for Hamilton when he cant stay healthy and is going to be 32? Seems like the same problems they already have.
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]

BC we would be receiving LA's high end prospects in this fantasy deal. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : They would be digging a DEEPER hole by signing Hamilton and Ellsbury, and Napoli....trade A-Gon for young players, and makes room for SMARTER free agent signings

How?  And what does SMARTER free agent signings mean?  If cheaper bargain bin is what you mean it hasn't made us a playoff team in how many years.  Neither did the knee jerk reaction to sign Crawford(who wasnt needed). 
    Hamilton is one of my favorites...its all far fetched.  Just throwing names.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JN86. Show JN86's posts

Reality is it has been a down year for just about every member of the Sox.  There have been bright spots here and there but for the most part it has been tough.  All players have tougher years than others but for all the players to be in the "funk" in the same year is what has hurt this team - along with all the injuries.  It is a team that is losing - not just one player.

To keep going on about contracts is crazy.  Yes - if we get rid of some of the higher paid contracts - then what - we go and sign players to more long term contracts.  What happens if the new players we sign have tough years or need an adjustment year or two to understand and feel comfortable in the Boston environment.  I don't care what you say but to come to Boston from another team most certainly must be a dramatic change - with the out of control media coverage.  If you aren't use to it - it could definitely have an affect on a player.  Don't kid yourself on that. 

What is the key to this year being so bad - who knows.  And PLEASE don't give me a Beckett answer.  I am so sick of hearing about Beckett - the guy is no worse than any other player on the team - except he doesn't like the media.  I, for one, applaud him for that.

It could be the change in the manager.  Quite possibly it might just be a year when they are all trying to figure everything out.  I looked it up and Joe Girardi's first year with the Yankees was terrible.  The next year they had a winning season.  They had one manager for a long time and then had to deal with the change.  I don't compare Bobby to Girardi - but Tito was here for many years and it could be that things just need to settle in.  And I don't want to hear that these "entitled" players can handle the change.  Please - if you don't think the Yankees have "entitled" players then you are on another planet.

To start trading players and "clean house" is ridiculous.  Everyone on the team has had injuries and has struggled - it is a team losing year.  Either it is just all bad luck or it is a time where the changes just need to come together.

Relax people - it is a game.  Some times you win and - hold your breath for this one - sometimes you lose.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

shupe not trying to give you a hard time but you essentially are wanting to repeat past mistakes... same formula for disaster. AGon is far more stable personality wise than Hamilton, he also stays on the field more often. Imagine what the media would do to Hamilton here the minute he fell off the wagon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I DO NOT see the Dodgers willing to take on ALL that salary, AND give up their top prospects. Seriously, that's outrageous.

If they took Crawford and Beckett and paid them, Gonzalez would be the price for LA to take those dumb contracts.

If they trade ONLY Gonzalez, then yes, they can expect a good return.

But BOTH? That's simply not going to happen, that's ludicrous.

That being said, I'd happily erase Crawford, Beckett and Gonzalez from this payroll and team. Gonzalez is good, but if he's the price to get rid of those other 2, then absolutely you do it and live with giving away Casey Kelly and Rizzo.

I like having 1B open in general. Lavarnway could give it a go. Ortiz has been saying he can play the field, if he wants to sign on as a 1B, he has some value to me, but I'd still prefer it open for younger guys.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : How?  And what does SMARTER free agent signings mean?  If cheaper bargain bin is what you mean it hasn't made us a playoff team in how many years.  Neither did the knee jerk reaction to sign Crawford(who wasnt needed).  Hamilton is one of my favorites...its all far fetched.  Just throwing names.

SMARTER = not signing aging or unnecessary players to huge contracts (Crawford, Lackey, Beckett.....) Even A-Gon, who is a good player but 1B's are a dime a dozen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

No one is taking Crawford right now....just had TJ surgery. He needs to prove he can play before they could think about dealing him.....

The most logical thing I have seen for Beckett is a trade to the Nationals. He gives them a veteran for the playoffs to replace Strasburg. But thy would need to eat most of his salary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]No one is taking Crawford right now....just had TJ surgery. He needs to prove he can play before they could think about dealing him..... The most logical thing I have seen for Beckett is a trade to the Nationals. He gives them a veteran for the playoffs to replace Strasburg. But thy would need to eat most of his salary.

If the Nationals are going to acquire pitching to help them this season, I am not sure that Beckett could help them.  He hasn't been very reliable for most of the season.  Although, if the Nationals really wanted him, I would imagine that the Red Sox would agree to trade him. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : If the Nationals are going to acquire pitching to help them this season, I am not sure that Beckett could help them.  He hasn't been very reliable for most of the season.  Although, if the Nationals really wanted him, I would imagine that the Red Sox would agree to trade him. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Well the reason they would want him would be because he would be ridiculously cheap....and one could assume he would be motivated once on a new team in the playoffs and away from the drama of Boston.....it was just a story I saw and I thought it made sense....more so then most of the junk I see saying "Trade Beckett, Crawford, and A-Gon to".....thats a bunch of junk

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts? : So we repalce maga contracts with more mega contracts? Jacoby has had one great year to date and Hamilton is risky, I would be keepign AGon.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Thank you...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

That's very creative idea.  You don't want Agon but Hamilton is ok for you...
    Hamilton wll command Agon type money this offseason..  certainly not the years but he will earn as much as Agon.  And Hamilton fits perfect in Boston cause he knows drama..  Great... Red Sox games should be airing on TNT starting from next season..

Sections
Shortcuts