1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?

In response to "Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?": [QUOTE]The reason possibly trading A-Gon is a good idea is because the red sox are standing firm on not going over the luxury tax threshold and taking away A-Gons 21 Million per year would help them to allocate to other more troubling positions...eh hem, starting pitching. A-Gon is a good hitter, and if he were a 3B, SS, 2B, C, then you dont deal him....but he plays a saturated position and I know he is a "Gold Glove" 1B, but lets be honest, 1B is a position where you can almost stick anyone and give a little practice and be decent. If a solid deal is out there for him then they should do it..... Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE] A gold glove 1st basemen makes the whole infielder better...it's become a key position defensively...That said, I think trading Agon to the Dodgers for prospects could make sense for all involved and I think Agon would do backflips down Yawkey Way if he was traded back to Southern California. Including Crawford isn't reality at all, but Beckett could obviously make some sense for both teams. It's clearly a long shot, but the Dodgers think they can win and have money to burn with the new TV contract. All it takes is one team...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?

We Do Need Pitching....

Dodgers03_display_image

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?:
    [QUOTE]shupe not trying to give you a hard time but you essentially are wanting to repeat past mistakes... same formula for disaster. AGon is far more stable personality wise than Hamilton, he also stays on the field more often. Imagine what the media would do to Hamilton here the minute he fell off the wagon.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

No hard time taken.  Logic is in the numbers.  I also know that MCab is a risk.  But he he a allstar every year.  Past mistakes of large contracts?  It worked pretty well with Manny.  I think Crawford and Lackey were terrible reactions to missing the playoffs and other targets(tex).
    I concur on the Boston media aspect. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?:
    [QUOTE] We Do Need Pitching....  
    Posted by 56redsox[/QUOTE]

Sign her up!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Agon is not going anywhere period.  Sox are playing one of the worst ball games this season and we are on the verge of missing the playoff even with extra WC and finish the season either 4th or 5th in the division.  So.. how is sending Agon away help this team in 2013?  James Loney won't come even close filling Agon place.  I know Agon has been power shortage since he came to Boston but he's the offensive core for this team along with Papi.  Removing bad contracts is not the answer for 2013. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Sorry to differ in opinion but getting rid of bad contracts is only a start in the right direction to rebuilding this team but I'm not sure Agon's departure is one of those steps. As for your assertion of Agon's power shortage all he has done is drive in over 100rbis last year and probably well over that again this year. His home runs aren't coming but he hits for average, will get 40-50 doubles this year. I don't call that a power shortage. Folks around here think his production is down compared to his production in Dan Diego and it's not overall. He is hitting less HRs but he's hit for better avarage here and his production in most other areas is the same or slightly better.      

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE] We Do Need Pitching....  
    Posted by 56redsox[/QUOTE]

Can she be signed to a long term contract ?

A beautiful woman baseball pitcher getting ready to throw a ball in a game Stock Photo - 12314223
    Possibly a future draft pick below !!

A girl throwing a baseball Stock Photo - 10116963

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Agon for prospects = no way.

Agon + Craw + Beckett for prospects = maybe.  We would be sacrificing the 2013 season though, and I think this team can compete in 2013.  Problem is : if we make this deal, we wont be relevant until 2015, and Beckett's contract would have been up by then anyways.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Why do you guys wanna trade two player who are far from being the problem in A-gon and Crawford. If you wanna know the problem its beckett and lackey. When you have two pitchers making over thirty million combined and giving you didly squat THATS the problem. Crawford and A-gon are two guys you build your team around, Not trade away because they have big contracts. Crawford has gotten Zero slack from you guys and the boston media, he came back and played knowing he'd need TJ at some point and played like the crawford of old and yet you guys STILL wanna trade him, its unbelievable. Guys who put there careers on the line to come back and try and help the team are guys you want on your team.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: LA Times:Dodgers interested in Gonzalez/Would they also take Crawford/Beckett?Thoughts?": [QUOTE]Agon for prospects = no way. Agon + Craw + Beckett for prospects = maybe.  We would be sacrificing the 2013 season though, and I think this team can compete in 2013.  Problem is : if we make this deal, we wont be relevant until 2015, and Beckett's contract would have been up by then anyways. Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE] Even the Dodgers wouldn't be fiscally irresponsible enough to take on Crawford, which would give them a 300 plus million dollar outfield tied up long term. I like Gonzalez, but I don't think anyone is irreplaceable to be competitive next year. This year's team was ravaged by injuries, too many guys having sub par seasons and a dysfunctional culture., but they have the core talent base to have success without Agon before 2015. Again, trading Agon & Beckett to LA is a long shot, but it could make sense for both teams, now and for the future.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Agon for prospects = no way. Agon + Craw + Beckett for prospects = maybe.  We would be sacrificing the 2013 season though, and I think this team can compete in 2013.  Problem is : if we make this deal, we wont be relevant until 2015, and Beckett's contract would have been up by then anyways.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Drew, 

You may be right. I know many in this town want to make a wholesale dump of players but as much as I would like to give Bobby V another shot it's clear the players aren't in back of him so for me the best is to bring in Farrel or someone else the players will respect because with the exception of a few Bobby V clearly has not gotten that for what ever reason. But this club needs a shake up of sorts from the bottom up and how one accomplishes that with the turmoil that's become the Red Sox I'm not sure. 

The Sox still have a group of players on this team to build around with an influx of new young talent on the way. This year was a nightmare of injuries and too many having subpar seasons. My question is if the RS clear the decks would the fans in this town remain positive while the club rebuilds from the bottom up over a two to three year period ? The press labeled the clubhouse toxic while they themselves arte guilty of the pot calling the teakettle black. The Press in itself is verty toxic. 

The press surely doesn't help, witness the last quote by Agon about why he won't speak to the press. It speaks volumes. How much actually goes on in the Sox socalled toxic clubhouse and how much is manafactured by the local media is unknown but much is false and it surely doesn't help. If I were a player of all-star caliber with the 10/5 right of refusal I wouldn't want to come to Boston knowing about the local media. I'm sure the word gets around MLB. 

The Sox need to be like BB of the Patriots where everything stays in house and out of the hands of the press. If the local idiots that work for the media don't like it, too bad !! Maybe it's time for Henry to sell but even that I'm not sure is the answer but the fix will not be easy. 

Hetch

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

First of all, the Dodgers farm system is cr8p.  Remember Tim Federowicz, our like 5th best catching prospect from a year ago?  Well he's the 9th best Dodger prospect in the whole system right now.  According to Scouting Book, Allen Webster would be the sixth best Sox prospect.

Second of all, Gonzalez is terrific.  Yeah, he slumped a little early, but he's been hitting over .350 since mid june.  

Lastly, say you unload a bunch of contracts and free up a ton of money.  Who are you going to buy?  Greinke?  Hamilton?  Peavy?  Marcum?  Beckett has a better chance of pitching well for the Sox in 2013 than Greinke or Marcum, and a better chance of staying healthy than Peavy.  You're basically trading a contract that expires in two years for a brand new one you can b1tch about for years to come. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A lot of nonsense on this thread, led by Hetcinspete's assertion that everything gets fixed by bringing back John Farrell who himself has a good shot at getting fired for the debacle in Toronto. 

The real problem is pitching, period.  The Sox need to find ways to improve it via a trade.  I do think dumping Beckett has merit.  Other than him, I think the rest of the team is available for trades that will bring in at least one frontline starter, but I see no point in giving up Buch or Lester.   

The other problem is guys like CC and Ells don't have enough trade value to bring in a frontline starter.  If I'm wrong, great, trade almost anyone, even Pedroia or AGon, if the deal is for a real ace like Hernandez. 

As for the hitting and the lineup, the Sox already have the ingredients for an excellent lineup in 2013--Ells, CC, Pedey, AGon, Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, Lavarnway/Salty, and Ross.  A better righty bat than Ross in the OF would be nice, but not essential.

About Ells and CC.  If they don't have much trade value, don't trade them.  Both are capable of .800 to .850 OPS's and excellent baserunning.  If Ells signs elsewhere after 2013, so be it,the Sox get one or two good draft picks. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

"The Return of Sox Alumni.... dum da dum" !!!

Get Beltre back for 3rd, Youk for 1st, toss in Salty too as Napoli would fill the position, Scutaro fill in for short or 2nd, Reddick & Coco for outfield...OK, I'm dreaming, joking, please don't let me have it !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Sox number one priority should be stocking the farm system with good , young , hard throwing pitching prospects. That is the best road to long term success. This should be done through trades , draft choices and foreign free agents.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]"The Return of Sox Alumni.... dum da dum" !!! Get Beltre back for 3rd, Youk for 1st, toss in Salty too as Napoli would fill the position, Scutaro fill in for short or 2nd, Reddick & Coco for outfield...OK, I'm dreaming, joking, please don't let me have it !!!
    Posted by SFBostonFan[/QUOTE]

Actually, I agree with you about Beltre.  If he was still with the Red Sox he could play 3rd and DH sometimes.  We should have traded Youk and kept him instead. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

"Get Beltre back for 3rd, Youk for 1st, toss in Salty too as Napoli would fill the position, Scutaro fill in for short or 2nd, Reddick & Coco for outfield...OK, I'm dreaming, joking, please don't let me have it !!! "
    Are you frigging serious?
    We have the best young homegrown position player in years, in Will Middlebrooks, and you want to dump him for a 32 year old ?
    Also, if trading Gonzales could take Crawford and/or Beckett off the books by making LA take a bad contract, do it!
    First baseman are a dime a dozen.
    He came up big the last few nights in late innings, as usual.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE] The Sox number one priority should be stocking the farm system with good , young , hard throwing pitching prospects. That is the best road to long term success. This should be done through trades , draft choices and foreign free agents.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Ya Know...I agree with you whole heartedly. Let's bite the bullet & forget about trying to get Hamilton from Rangers, King Felix from Seattle etc. & suffer for a couple of years.  Forget about overloading our payroll with the Lackey's, Dice K's, Crawfords & Agon's & worrying they will stay healthy! The Yankees have done it but let's admit they are better than we are getting some talent from other teams.

Let Tampa Bay be an inspiration as they seem to always be competitive the past few years with great pitching and just average hitting but developing players from their farm system. I can't think of any superstars either on Baltimore's team but they are definitely better than we are this year. So, our scouts should concentrate on great youthful prospects in college or, as you say, players outside the USA.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

I love Hamilton. I think, when he's healthy, he's the most fun player to watch in baseball.
    However, what happens when you remove him from the coccoon he has around him in Texas, and put him into the hurley burley malestrom that is Boston?
    Also, forget the King Felix nonsense. He's not going anywhere, at least for a few years. He's a cult hero in Seattle, and they're not trading him.
    Sox need to find a way to dump these Theo contracts. As I said, if trading Gonzalez to the Dodgers enables them to include Crawford and/or Beckett, they'd be foolish not to.
    First base may be the easiest position to replace,

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

"CALIFORNIA DREAMIN....."  LA LA LA, ON A SUMMER'S DAY....

25. This post has been removed.